Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: What Is Your Perfect Ending For The Rolling Stones?
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 1, 2013 12:32

The perfect ending:

They just peter out, making new album after new album, touring sometimes, and continue with that even if one of the 4 is not around anymore, so people on the boards can keep the buzz going, discussing things like which is the last "real" Rolling Stones album.

It seems they are having none of that, though, because how can you go out with a bang that's bigger than "A Bigger Bang"? That album title says it so obvious that they intended it to be their swan song album.

Only now, they realize they have got time for another album ...

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 1, 2013 12:40

Perfect would be for me to be there

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: March 1, 2013 13:12

From what I hear they have come to the end of the road creatively. The two new songs and A Bigger Bang were worthy but devoid of any kind of artistic innovation. IMO the best song from this late era was 'I Don't Wanna Go Home' - strangely treated as a throwaway and yet it's a great little pop song with hooks that rattle about the grey matter.
There still seems to be enough energy in the band for them to continue and good on them. A new album might even be a possibility; have they got anything interesting to say? One last shot as it were.

Jagger is well known to dislike nostalgia but maybe their best option at this juncture would be to think seriously about working on the vaults which I'm sure are full of treasures that require more polish to bring up to releasable standard.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 1, 2013 16:49

MileHigh
The boys set themselves up in a little mountain resort in Mexico to record.

An small earth tremor occurs one night, and giant rolling stones rumble down the mountain. When the dust settles it becomes apparent that the Rolling Stones met their fate from the rolling stones.

LOL - You been breathing that milehigh air again?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 1, 2013 16:57

rumple21
Jagger is well known to dislike nostalgia .

How does this reconcile with the same parade of warhorses ad nauseum since the Hoover administration?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2013 17:00

GRNRBITW
rumple21
Jagger is well known to dislike nostalgia .

How does this reconcile with the same parade of warhorses ad nauseum since the Hoover administration?

Mick is fastidious...likes clean. He's simply vacuuming up all the hits since the Hoover administration.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 1, 2013 18:09

The short answer is:
Make a 10 song album with most of it being covers. Then tour and televise the last concert from a mini club in Ealing. Full circle.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 1, 2013 18:50

They are assumed bodily into heaven as a group.

Date: March 1, 2013 21:43

Max'sKansasCity
MightyStonesStillRollin50
We all know that the end is near. Whether it ends next year, or as late as the 50th anniversary of Satisfaction in the summer of 2015, time is running out. So what is your perfect ending for the Rolling Stones? A classic new album? A blockbuster tour? Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor rejoin the band? Jeff Beck joins them on a farewell tour?

I wish people who want the Stones to go away would away themselves right now, end it for yourself. Now, its over for you, wasnt that easy? The Stones are over for you. No more worries.... now go off and do what ever it is you need to do and stop making threads about how you so look forward to The Stones stopping and how you love to fantasize about it.

No true fan WANTS the Stones to go away. Most wish they would go on forever. I certainly do. But life just doesn't work that way. I wish that my parents and all my friends that have passed on, were still around. The reality is that the Rolling Stones are winding down. A new album may be out of the question in two or three years. It's time for them to seize the moment, before the moment is lost forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-01 21:45 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: March 1, 2013 21:48

billwebster
The perfect ending:

They just peter out, making new album after new album, touring sometimes, and continue with that even if one of the 4 is not around anymore, so people on the boards can keep the buzz going, discussing things like which is the last "real" Rolling Stones album.

It seems they are having none of that, though, because how can you go out with a bang that's bigger than "A Bigger Bang"? That album title says it so obvious that they intended it to be their swan song album.

Only now, they realize they have got time for another album ...

Very interesting. Maybe, (like you say) they intended ABB to be it. 16 songs, right? Almost a double album.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 2, 2013 03:36

2000 LYFH
MileHigh
The boys set themselves up in a little mountain resort in Mexico to record.

An small earth tremor occurs one night, and giant rolling stones rumble down the mountain. When the dust settles it becomes apparent that the Rolling Stones met their fate from the rolling stones.

LOL - You been breathing that milehigh air again?

Rock and Roll!!!!

Date: May 12, 2013 07:02

JumpinJackOLantern
Max'sKansasCity
MightyStonesStillRollin50
We all know that the end is near. Whether it ends next year, or as late as the 50th anniversary of Satisfaction in the summer of 2015, time is running out. So what is your perfect ending for the Rolling Stones? A classic new album? A blockbuster tour? Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor rejoin the band? Jeff Beck joins them on a farewell tour?

I wish people who want the Stones to go away would away themselves right now, end it for yourself. Now, its over for you, wasnt that easy? The Stones are over for you. No more worries.... now go off and do what ever it is you need to do and stop making threads about how you so look forward to The Stones stopping and how you love to fantasize about it.

No true fan WANTS the Stones to go away. Most wish they would go on forever. I certainly do. But life just doesn't work that way. I wish that my parents and all my friends that have passed on, were still around. The reality is that the Rolling Stones are winding down. A new album may be out of the question in two or three years. It's time for them to seize the moment, before the moment is lost forever.

If they close out doing exactly what they are doing now it won't be the perfect ending many of us dreamed for, but it's still a whole lot better than if they had called it a career at the end of 2007.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 12, 2013 08:50

They stop all this touring nonsense and simply play whenever I wish them to - on a small stage I can easily set up at a moment's notice in my back garden .......... and I'll supply the lemonade.

THERE !! Sorted !!

O and there's just ONE more caveat. They apologise to me in person for all those occasions on which they've included YOU GOT ME ROCKING in the setlist ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 6, 2015 22:11

It'll never happen, I guess but my perfect final Stones live song would be an extended version of Let it loose...........

Date: March 6, 2015 22:19

EddieByword
It'll never happen, I guess but my perfect final Stones live song would be an extended version of Let it loose...........

Good choice although it almost doesn't matter what the song is, can you imagine the emotion if we and they know as they're playing it that it indeed is 'the last time'?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 6, 2015 22:56

From another angle, albeit dreadful, maybe the world will end before the Stones call it a day, in which case I would like Gimme Shelter to preview at 200 decibels over the entire world in real time.
Just somehow coming out of the sky….200 decibels of Gimme shelter.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 6, 2015 23:16

MKjan
From another angle, albeit dreadful, maybe the world will end before the Stones call it a day, in which case I would like Gimme Shelter to preview at 200 decibels over the entire world in real time.

lol......only one problem, it would bust you're eardrums so you wouldn't be able to hear it..........grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-06 23:17 by EddieByword.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 6, 2015 23:28

I think we're getting the perfect ending kids.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: March 6, 2015 23:42

A tour behind a great record, like it used to be.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 6, 2015 23:47

Plundered My Soul.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: March 6, 2015 23:59

DandelionPowderman
50 shows in the O2 Arena, with the last show at New Year's Eve?

Nooooo! We all know what happened to the last person to plan 50 nights at the O2.......

Date: March 7, 2015 00:05

Bastion
DandelionPowderman
50 shows in the O2 Arena, with the last show at New Year's Eve?

Nooooo! We all know what happened to the last person to plan 50 nights at the O2.......

aw man, just beat it!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:09

EddieByword
MKjan

lol......only one problem, it would bust you're eardrums so you wouldn't be able to hear it..........grinning smiley

You're right….I looked it up and it seems 194db is tops.
I amend to 115dbsmiling smiley

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:15

Wow - well said that would be magical...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:28

What if the A Bigger Bang Tour had been it? It might have been better for their legacy if they'd gone out on a high note like that. They played the Super Bowl. They toured on an album. They played numerous dates in cities. The decline in their abilities weren't quite on the radar yet. I almost think they meant to make that their ride off into the sunset. Then the 50 year thing came along and seemed to shock them out of their retirement. It certainly seemed like Keith had hung it up, and it's taken him a couple years of stage time to get back to a reasonable facsimile of his old self.

The Mick Taylor barely there participation appears to have engendered more hard feelings than wonderment at his playing. And the Bill Wyman episode only pulled a scab off the ugly part of the band's personal relationships. Sure, the remaining four band members are still is raking in millions more for their already well financed retirement accounts. And a bunch of kids and tourists who never got to see the band get a small glimpse into what all the shouting was for. But have they added much to their musical legacy that wasn't already set by 2007? Not in my opinion.

Date: March 7, 2015 01:53

They played consistently better on the last tour, imo. If O2 I had been their last show, it would have been a perfect ending if needed.

Now they should just continue as long as they like.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:54

i would like it if all the stones members fell asleep and thier bodies were taken over by alien pods like in invasion of the bodysnatchers and duplicates were produced, but unlike the film instead of being emotionless they were actually had more life in them(brian can be included in this, mick t and bill as well)

the newly formed 7 stones members then had the energy and vitality to resume working as a functional band and stayed around for another 50+ years.

or another way would be for each member to die off and be replaced by a more up to date musician and the band continue with eventually no original members.

jagger could be replaced by justin beiber for example and the rest by the equivelant crap drummer or guitarist. and the band could change thier name to a bunch of crap musicians.

or more realistically one member dies and its all over.

to be honest i hope they dont go on too long, 5 years at most and they should pack it in.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:58

The best ending for me would be NO ending...no " this is the LAST TOUR" announcement, just less shows, maybe only a handful but really special venues, limited seating like Radio City.
I don't think they have anything left to prove. It has to be accepted that musicians in their '70's are not what they were in their prime, but 24FPS, I think they give more than just a glimpse of what they were. I am so very grateful that the Stones were such a big part of my life and added such joy to it. I really look back on my " relationship " with the band and think how miserably bland it would have been without them.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 7, 2015 02:24

24FPS
What if the A Bigger Bang Tour had been it? It might have been better for their legacy if they'd gone out on a high note like that. They played the Super Bowl. They toured on an album. They played numerous dates in cities. The decline in their abilities weren't quite on the radar yet. I almost think they meant to make that their ride off into the sunset. Then the 50 year thing came along and seemed to shock them out of their retirement. It certainly seemed like Keith had hung it up, and it's taken him a couple years of stage time to get back to a reasonable facsimile of his old self.

The Mick Taylor barely there participation appears to have engendered more hard feelings than wonderment at his playing. And the Bill Wyman episode only pulled a scab off the ugly part of the band's personal relationships. Sure, the remaining four band members are still is raking in millions more for their already well financed retirement accounts. And a bunch of kids and tourists who never got to see the band get a small glimpse into what all the shouting was for. But have they added much to their musical legacy that wasn't already set by 2007? Not in my opinion.

That bit in bold, keith's was heavy on the radar. But as witnessed by people listening to One More Shot, attending live shows and whatever live videos since then, Keith's demise took a rise into the black. How high remains to be seen.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 7, 2015 02:32

24FPS
But have they added much to their musical legacy that wasn't already set by 2007? Not in my opinion.

You're probably right about the legacy, but I like "Doom and Gloom" better than anything on A Bigger Bang.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home