Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Johnny Rotten on the Stones
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 26, 2012 11:45

Honestman
It's funny now to see all these "old" punks tellin' such nice words about the Bands they used to bash when they were younger...and in the same time, it's also funny to see the Stones tellin' here and there that finaly these Punks were not as bad as they thought...just read some vintage magazine or papers from this era from both sides and you'll get me winking smiley

A good observation! The 'hate' was mutual back then: The Stones was mocked by young punk bands, and the punks were belittled by The Stones... nowadays both parties see the relevance of the other... the punks, being inspired by the energy and 'anarchy' of the past Stones (all the way to EXILE), and giving a lesson of that to (then) current 'dinosaur' Stones, and The Stones were inspired again by this current kick to their balls. Both sides seem to accept the fruithful 'dialog' now, when both being older and wiser..grinning smiley

Thanks Chris for you Rotten/Lydon comments!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-26 11:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 26, 2012 11:56

Was gonna hang this one up in Connections
but figured it'd be more at home relaxed in hb's thread ....

Nice words Johnny esp the Jim Reeves bit ... very touching ya punk..
..........While the Lockerbie piece.. it stunned .... Lucky lucky boy John

Q Magazine --- 331 -------- June 2012

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 26, 2012 12:09

His Majesty
ROPENI
Great post HB,don't let the trolls get to ya drinking smiley

Ok, this so called troll shall refrain from posting.

smiling smiley

Don't. Instead think of the enermous amount of unseen 64-66 footage the director of the upcoming documentary promises to have... Think positive! grinning smiley

For the others. His Majesty is one of the strongest and sweetiest contributors in this board, even though he seems to have a very strong opinions of what he likes and what he doesn't (go on and ask something about Taylor, or post-Jones Stones!) and he just choices his words quite straight-forwadly sometimes (like another sweetheart, Mathijs...).

But it always a drag to see two great contributors - of both I respect very much - to fight or to get upset. Of course, things like that happen every once in a while (and I am not any innocent either...), I guess it is very human, but it just brings bad vibes. I just use another great contributor's very word here: "peace"!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-26 12:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: May 26, 2012 16:40

Without the likes of Johnny Rotten would we have ever gotten Some Girls?

Date: May 26, 2012 16:54

....Don't worry Mud-Guts taught sins a few years before

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 26, 2012 17:39

Doxa
His Majesty
ROPENI
Great post HB,don't let the trolls get to ya drinking smiley

Ok, this so called troll shall refrain from posting.

smiling smiley

Don't. Instead think of the enermous amount of unseen 64-66 footage the director of the upcoming documentary promises to have... Think positive! grinning smiley

For the others. His Majesty is one of the strongest and sweetiest contributors in this board, even though he seems to have a very strong opinions of what he likes and what he doesn't (go on and ask something about Taylor, or post-Jones Stones!) and he just choices his words quite straight-forwadly sometimes (like another sweetheart, Mathijs...).

But it always a drag to see two great contributors - of both I respect very much - to fight or to get upset. Of course, things like that happen every once in a while (and I am not any innocent either...), I guess it is very human, but it just brings bad vibes. I just use another great contributor's very word here: "peace"!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Thanks, D- for the record - I think HM rocks - always have - that's what I was sort of taken aback by the negativity and insulting nature of his quips this time out - but whatever

Date: May 26, 2012 19:48

This is one of the concerts I wish I hadn't of missed. Not that I didn't try to make it. A bunch of us piled into a old Ford Econoline van with a couple of gallons of cheap wine and a $10 'lid' of cheap mexican weed. We only made it as far as Santa Barbara before the van broke down.
People who slag off on the band now for doing butter comercials, liking Boston or doing a reunion tour fail to remember that they, like many of us, were young and idealistic at one time. They have now grown up and reality of the real world has set in as they've gotten older. I guess with some posters here 'Age breeds contempt'.

Date: May 28, 2012 09:08

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 28, 2012 09:25

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 28, 2012 11:17

Thanks for posting...I saw them just before they flew to the US and it was pretty much the same as the clip, loud, badly played, but...immense energy and an assaulkt on all the senses - just as good punk should be. I came out of that gig covered in gob and bruised to hell. And at the time thought it was possibly the worst thing I had ever witnessed. Looking back it sticks out as a major point in my life and one I am glad I had the guts to attend.

His majesty is just keeping the tradition of punk alive! How dull would a thread on the Sex Pistols be if we didnt have a few crossed words!!

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: May 28, 2012 11:28

Supergroup of Beatles, Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols at 2012 Olympics?

London, England - On Sunday, the organizers of the 2012 London Olympics continued to work out the details of the opening ceremony, which reportedly may include bringing together members of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and the Sex Pistols to form an unprecedented supergroup.

The Olympic opening ceremony will be directed by Oscar winner Danny Boyle, the director of ‘127 Hours’ and ‘Slumdog Millionaire.’

Athletes, such as Sir Steve Redgrave has publicly expressed his opinion on the matter, hoping Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr [The Beatles] will join up with Sir Mick Jagger [The Rolling Stones] and John Lydon [Sex Pistols] to put on an unbelievable music extravaganza.

“The London Games gives us a chance to celebrate our own history… We have to show the world what we are good at. If Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo came together with great bands like The Rolling Stones and the Sex Pistols it would be fantastic. They are a huge part of our history. It would kick off the party and put us centre of the world’s attention,” Redgrave said.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 28, 2012 11:42

Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr [The Beatles] will join up with Sir Mick Jagger [The Rolling Stones] and John Lydon

Ringo - Drums
Paul - Bass vocal
Mick - guitar vocal
Rotten - vocal

or....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: May 28, 2012 12:33

Well, their manager always maintained that the Pistols were a swindle. And I have to agree. Rotten goes around pretending that he invented punk but the truth is that the Ramones allready had this punk sound from 1974 onward, and the Stoogies the attitude (and the term punk) allready in the late 60's. Pistols were responsible for the emerging punk fashion though. I mean just check this short Ramones clip from 1975 with Joey Ramone singing "I'm a Nazi baby, I'm a Nazi yes I am", and feel that raw energy and typical punk upbeat "three accords". Yes truly the Pistols are a swindle (a good one though, but a swindle never the less)

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: May 28, 2012 13:25

Don't forget the New York Dolls!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-28 13:27 by steffiestones.

Date: May 28, 2012 13:55

just check this short Ramones clip from 1975 with Joey Ramone singing "I'm a Nazi

....Today Your Love Tomorrow The World ... That's a Dee Dee song and
the Nazi imagery most probably stems from the years he spent as a kid living in Germany/Berlin

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-28 14:18 by Rockman.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: May 28, 2012 17:22

Rockman
....Today Your Love Tomorrow The World ... That's a Dee Dee song and
the Nazi imagery most probably stems from the years he spent as a kid living in Germany/Berlin

Yes Dee Dee Ramone (the bassplayer) wrote most of the Ramones songs in those early years, and ofcourse Joey Ramone sang them, the irony with this song is that Joey actually is Jewish in origin. Interresting to know is that they performed this song live on Rockpalast German TV in 1978, a time when you could hardly find any German being able to speak English (how times changed). When the German law on anything remotly related to their obscure past was so rigid, that had the Germans realised what the Ramones were actally singing on national TV, they would have ended up in prison. Can you imagine the conversations at home that night "Hans haben sie gesongen wass ich glaube sie gesongen haben?" "Nein Gretl, es was Ich Bin Lassie Baby, der Amerikanischen hund von den fernsehen".

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 30, 2012 22:37

the interview

[www.spinner.com]

Date: May 31, 2012 01:36

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: May 31, 2012 06:20

Sometimes the obvious just ain't obvious enough.

I'd say it is here:

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 31, 2012 08:40

these guys were bad ass when they first hit in 1977. great album and an FU to disco at the time. love steve jones on guitar,

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: June 1, 2012 06:02

76 minutes with … John Lydon

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 3, 2012 00:30

HB, thanks for posting this interview. This is the first Johnny "Rotten" Lydon interview I've ever read where he says something positive about the Stones. Lydon used to do a "today in rock history" type of radio spot in the mid-90s where he would slag other artists off left and right a la 1976, and when recounting the time three of the Stones were arrested in 1965 for urinating against the wall of a gas station Lydon closed the anecdote with "..But I've told you they were a piss act from the start!"

In latter-day interviews Lydon's comments toward other artists in general have been a lot more gracious, reflecting a greater appreciation for things in life that comes with middle age.

Also, in later years, it seems to be Keith Richards who has become the Slagmaster General...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 3, 2012 02:31

From a couple of years ago...

Rotten: 'I Love Pink Floyd'

[www.contactmusic.com]

Former SEX PISTOLS frontman JOHNNY ROTTEN denies "hating" progressive rock band PINK FLOYD -
despite having sported a T-shirt emblazoned with the words 'I Hate Pink Floyd' during his 1970s heyday.

The flame-haired rocker insists the inflammatory statement was merely a joke, as the WISH YOU WERE HERE stars
are so brilliant, nobody could seriously hate them - not even punks.

Rotten, real name JOHN LYDON says, "I never hated Pink Floyd. I was having a laugh.

"How could you hate Pink Floyd? It's like saying, 'Kill the fluffy bunnies.'

"If you're going to make me a monster, at least give me something worth really rebelling against.

"I've run into DAVID GILMOUR several times over the years, and he thinks it's hilarious. He's a great bloke."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 3, 2012 02:44

Rockman

Very good, but what about that Sri Lankan woman biting off someone's todger?

Date: June 3, 2012 03:15

Hairball
From a couple of years ago...

Rotten: 'I Love Pink Floyd'

[www.contactmusic.com]

Former SEX PISTOLS frontman JOHNNY ROTTEN denies "hating" progressive rock band PINK FLOYD -
despite having sported a T-shirt emblazoned with the words 'I Hate Pink Floyd' during his 1970s heyday.

The flame-haired rocker insists the inflammatory statement was merely a joke, as the WISH YOU WERE HERE stars
are so brilliant, nobody could seriously hate them - not even punks.

Rotten, real name JOHN LYDON says, "I never hated Pink Floyd. I was having a laugh.

"How could you hate Pink Floyd? It's like saying, 'Kill the fluffy bunnies.'

"If you're going to make me a monster, at least give me something worth really rebelling against.

"I've run into DAVID GILMOUR several times over the years, and he thinks it's hilarious. He's a great bloke."

Lydon turned down an invitation to appear onstage with Gilmour when the latter's On an Island tour played Los Angeles. Lydon feared he would look "pretentious," but still has otherwise positive things to say about Pink Floyd.

www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/feb/18/john-lydon-pink-floyd

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-03 04:47 by stonesnow.

Date: June 3, 2012 04:23

Very good, but what about that Sri Lankan woman biting off someone's todger?

Okay Gazza..... here ya go a late berfday present for ya.....

And here's another Gazza BUT ENTER AT OWN RISK.....
Oh and by the way I'm totally a meat and potatoes guy from here on in ....

[calorielab.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 3, 2012 04:29

There's a lot of that going around.

Woman jailed for testicle attack

A woman who ripped off her ex-boyfriend's testicle with her bare hands has been sent to prison.
Amanda Monti, 24, flew into a rage when Geoffrey Jones, 37, rejected her advances at the end of a house party, Liverpool Crown Court heard.
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying: "That's yours."
Monti admitted wounding and was jailed for two-and-a-half years.

'Pulled hard'

Sentencing Monti, Judge Charles James said it was "a very serious injury" and that Monti was not acting in self-defence.
The court heard that Mr Jones had ended his long-term but "open relationship" with Monti towards the end of May last year.
The pair remained on good terms and on 30 May she picked him up from a party in Crosby and went back for drinks with friends at Mr Jones's house.
An argument ensued and Mr Jones said there was a struggle between them.
In his statement, Mr Jones said she grabbed his genitals and "pulled hard".
He added: "That caused my underpants to come off and I found I was completely naked and in excruciating pain."
The court heard that a friend saw Monti put Mr Jones's testicle into her mouth and try to swallow it.
She choked and spat it back into her hand before the friend grabbed it and gave it back to Mr Jones. Doctors were unable to re-attach the organ.
In a letter to the court, Monti said she was sorry for what she had done.
She said: "It was never my intention to cause harm to Geoff and the fact that I have caused him injury will live with me forever. I am in no way a violent person."
The letter added: "I have challenged myself to explain what has happened but still I just cannot remember. This has caused much anguish to me and will do for the rest of my life."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-03 04:32 by tatters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 3, 2012 04:30

Rockman
And here's another Gazza BUT ENTER AT OWN RISK.....
Oh and by the way I'm totally a meat and potatoes guy from here on in ....

[calorielab.com]

Thanks (but no thanks) for that Rockman... eye popping smiley

Date: June 3, 2012 04:33

Thanks (but no thanks) for that Rockman...

...Don't worry Hairball I got pins & needles in strange areas after that one

ROCKMAN

Date: June 3, 2012 04:41

Here's another interview with Johnny Rotten from 2007. He never had any use for the Beatles, but Lennon's song "Working Class Hero" meant something to him. He once said he hated rock-n-roll, but finds Little Richard records "stunning." Joe Strummer was "alright," but the Clash were never punk. Ditto The Ramones, who Rotten likens to Status Quo.

www.spin.com/articles/fighting-words

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home