Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Johnny Rotten on the Stones
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 25, 2012 23:05

I interviewed John recently and was writing the piece this morning - as I'd posted here earlier - he loved the first side of Exile - as I always just found on the tape, he "BLOODY LOVES" Sympathy, too, and is, in general, a huge Stones fan.

But have you seen this? The full last show they ever played? It gets slagged pretty hard but I'll telling ya, watching it, I think it's a classic show - intense, focused and surprisingly musical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-25 23:52 by hbwriter.

Re: Johnny Rotten on the Stones
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 26, 2012 00:28

Great footage. Never saw it before. Thanks.

On that tour they did not play LA, so a friend of mine made the trip up to San Francisco, and wanted me to go but as I chose not to--because I was studying for a final!

Major, major regret there. But at the time I just figured I'd catch them on their next tour....little did we know!

It's funny because I have another friend who is just three years younger than me, and he bought into the whole part of punk that rejected the Stones (like the "No Elvis, Beatles and Rolling Stones..." line in "1977" by the Clash. ) and he really clung onto that for a long time.

By the time Steve Jones had a radio show, and declared his love of Boston (yes, the band! ) and jammed in-studio with Peter Frampton, I think it was safe to say that the old Music Wars were officially over.

Date: May 26, 2012 00:38

great comment, Loog smiling smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 26, 2012 01:51

As Joe Strummer said to me, "The Stones? Of course we wanted to be the Stones".

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 26, 2012 02:32

hbwriter
I interviewed John recently and was writing the piece this morning - as I'd posted here earlier - he loved the first side of Exile - as I always just found on the tape, he "BLOODY LOVES" Sympathy, too, and is, in general, a huge Stones fan.

But have you seen this? The full last show they ever played? It gets slagged pretty hard but I'll telling ya, watching it, I think it's a classic show - intense, focused and surprisingly musical.

That gig is just shite, nothing more, nothing less. smiling smiley

Date: May 26, 2012 02:38

His Majesty
hbwriter

uhm, yeah, right, thanks for helping me see the light of day - much appreciated

Date: May 26, 2012 02:42

hbwriter
His Majesty
hbwriter

They knew it, we know it... It's ok, I get it, a 'writer' needs to say something, hence silly statements in most of your threads. grinning smiley

Date: May 26, 2012 02:45

His Majesty
hbwriter
His Majesty
hbwriter

They knew it, we know it... It's ok, I get it, a 'writer' needs to say something, hence silly statements in most of your threads. grinning smiley

again, thanks so much for judging not just the pistols, but me, as well - it's really quite an honor to be insulted by someone with such poor taste

(cue the trolls that will now jump on me for daring to answer the insults of an idiot)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-26 02:47 by hbwriter.

Date: May 26, 2012 02:48

You like Motley Crue or any other 'stars' that lets yah inteview them... your opinion on taste is thus void.

thumbs up

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 26, 2012 02:50

It's funny now to see all these "old" punks tellin' such nice words about the Bands they used to bash when they were younger...and in the same time, it's also funny to see the Stones tellin' here and there that finaly these Punks were not as bad as they thought...just read some vintage magazine or papers from this era from both sides and you'll get me winking smiley

HMN

Date: May 26, 2012 03:05

hbwriter
(cue the trolls that will now jump on me for daring to answer the insults of an idiot)

We recognise in others that which we know most deeply within ourselves. thumbs up

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 26, 2012 03:07

HBwriter; thankx for posting that footage. Musically, for me, it's hard to listen to but it's a moment in rock and roll music. Sid Vicious wasn't a musician so basically it's one electric guitar providing the music. Visually it's exciting as those dudes were real punks, they didn't a 5hit.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: May 26, 2012 03:09

His Majesty
hbwriter

We recognise in others that which we know most deeply within ourselves. thumbs up

you realize of course, that cuts both ways -

Date: May 26, 2012 03:10

His Majesty
You like Motley Crue or any other 'stars' that lets yah inteview them... your opinion on taste is thus void.

thumbs up

right - wow - you got me again - hope it was worth coming out from under the bed for

Date: May 26, 2012 03:11

rollmops
HBwriter; thankx for posting that footage. Musically, for me, it's hard to listen to but it's a moment in rock and roll music. Sid Vicious wasn't a musician so basically it's one electric guitar providing the music. Visually it's exciting as those dudes were real punks, they didn't a 5hit.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Roll - I know it's rough - but to your point, it's the spirit of it - though i do think some of the songs, much like the ramones and dolls, have held up amazingly well - and yeah - they were real smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 26, 2012 03:22

Why is there so much @#$%& negativity on this board all of a sudden? HB, your interviews are a worthy distraction in the absence of any solid Stones activity. Carry on.

HM - your postings in the last year have been one of the more worthwhile reads. I, for one, bow down to to your great knowledge of instrumentation and recording technique. No need to have a go. If you don't like a post then ignore it.

Peace in the valley, please.

Date: May 26, 2012 03:24

hbwriter
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Roll - I know it's rough - but to your point, it's the spirit of it - though i do think some of the songs, much like the ramones and dolls, have held up amazingly well - and yeah - they were real smiling smiley

The clues as to what they thought are in their own words and actions during the gig. Johnny is no fool, the spirit of it was dead that's why he left.

Sometimes the obvious just ainlt obvious enough eh? grinning smiley

Date: May 26, 2012 03:26

hbwriter
His Majesty
hbwriter

you realize of course, that cuts both ways -

Of course... and in accepting what I said you then acknowledge yer speaking poop. Thanks. thumbs up

Date: May 26, 2012 03:33

Silver Dagger
Why is there so much @#$%& negativity on this board all of a sudden? HB, your interviews are a worthy distraction in the absence of any solid Stones activity. Carry on.

HM - your postings in the last year have been one of the more worthwhile reads. I, for one, bow down to to your great knowledge of instrumentation and recording technique. No need to have a go. If you don't like a post then ignore it.

Just the last year? Damn, what a waste of other years. hot smiley

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 26, 2012 03:39

Great post HB,don't let the trolls get to ya drinking smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: May 26, 2012 03:43

I was there! It used to be my claim to fame, that I was at the last Sex Pistols concert. But then they re-united and toured. Needed the money, I guess.

It wasn't so much a concert as a cultural happening. My favorite moment: When Johnny Rotten surveyed the stage for loot people had thrown at him, picked up a few things, and asked the audience, "Why donchya throw your cameras?"

Sid Viscious was obviously obliterated and didn't hit a right note all night. Steve Jones looked bored. Only the drummer put his heart in it.

Punk was innocent in those days. Hardly a person at the concert was dressed in black, had a pierced anything, or even snarled. Most people just came out of curiosity. It's strange to me how the punk aesthetic has now hardened into something as sterile and phoney as anything the original punks rebelled against. Punk is everywhere now -- in fashion, in attitudes, in TV commerical jingles. I'm frankly tired of it.

Rotten is great. I like it how he and his band declined being inducted in the R&R Hall of Fame. Jackson Browne is in that thing, fer @#$%&'s sake.

Date: May 26, 2012 03:47

ROPENI

Ok, this so called troll shall refrain from posting.

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-26 03:51 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 26, 2012 03:55

His Majesty
ROPENI

Ok, this so called trolls shall refrain from posting.

smiling smiley
Look HM,l don't know what ur problem is,maybe the meds are not working,but man why suffer? you don't like hb's or anyone else s thread,don't foam over it,just go to the ones that u like (if any),and please understand that others here do like and enjoy what hbwriter posts...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 26, 2012 04:05

His Majesty
hbwriter

So were the Beatles at Candlestick Park, but they're both historic and I wish I had been there.

Date: May 26, 2012 04:08

Silver & Ropeni -= thanks as always for the positive encouragement

Pietro - that is fantastic - one of the things i enjoy here are first hand accounts of history, such as yours - and your commentary is really sharp about those days vis a vis today

Date: May 26, 2012 04:09

tatters
His Majesty
hbwriter

So were the Beatles at Candlestick Park, but they're both historic and I wish I had been there.

smiling smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 26, 2012 04:11

Pietro
I was there! It used to be my claim to fame, that I was at the last Sex Pistols concert. But then they re-united and toured.

Well, it'll always be the last real Sex Pistols concert. I saw them at Cobo in '96. It was great fun, but by then they weren't the Sex Pistols anymore. Just a really good hard rock (almost heavy metal) band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-26 04:13 by tatters.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 26, 2012 07:14

I love the Pistols and think Rotten is a hoot, but how can you only like the first side of "Exile?"

Posted by: TE ()
Date: May 26, 2012 11:06

hbwriter,
THANKS!!!
You made my Saturday morning coffee warmer, LOL.
At 35:16 now

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 26, 2012 11:32

His Majesty
Silver Dagger

Just the last year? Damn, what a waste of other years. hot smiley

They were good too but you stepped it up in the last year. It's been your purple period! cool smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1299
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home