Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Mick Taylor on Late Night w/ Jimmy Fallon 5/9
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 10, 2012 16:49

Yes, Taylor was in fine form.

As for Stern, he's a fan, and his act here kept the spotlight on Taylor for a bit and they both know that, I'm pretty sure. It's all to the good in boosting the appearance (to the casual viewer or fan; not for "us" of course).

Especially so, I am guessing, it's likely that Taylor prefers to play than have an interview segment (though the offer probably wasn't made to begin with).

Anyways, can't wait to see Taylor with the Stones again. It would simply be too stupid for it not to happen.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 17:04

SweetThing
Yes, Taylor was in fine form.

As for Stern, he's a fan, and his act here kept the spotlight on Taylor for a bit and they both know that, I'm pretty sure. It's all to the good in boosting the appearance (to the casual viewer or fan; not for "us" of course).

Especially so, I am guessing, it's likely that Taylor prefers to play than have an interview segment (though the offer probably wasn't made to begin with).

Anyways, can't wait to see Taylor with the Stones again. It would simply be too stupid for it not to happen.

I agree with this.
He's Howard Stern, his whole shtick is to be obnoxious, but in a weird way, you can always tell when he's in awe. And MT being grilled by Howard Stern on national TV in 2012 is a good thing.

We know too much, but the general audience was introduced to guy who has gone missing for far too long.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 10, 2012 17:09

I highly doubt Mick Taylor was crying backstage because Howard Stern was making fun of him. Therefore, some of you shouldn't be so sensitive about what happened smiling smiley

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 10, 2012 17:16

Did anyone else here listen to Mick Taylor on The Howard Stern Radio Show (long before Stern went to Sirius). It was a great interview. Stern finds it utterly amazing that anyone would quit the Stones. I recall one line from Stern to Taylor:

Stern: OK, now I understand. It's the same reason I quit the Beatles half way through recording Abbey Road - it was interfering with my radio career!grinning smiley (paraphrased).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 17:21 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: May 10, 2012 17:19

where the heck are some clips?

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: May 10, 2012 17:24

I haven't had time to watch the tivo recording yet, but at a quick glance he looks good.

Looks like he's lost some weight and is a bit healthier?

Maybe because he's playing on national Tv and not in a club or bar?

or Maybe because.....

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 17:58

dadrob
where the heck are some clips?

[www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com]

The whole show is on that website as well

Sorry, didn't care for the Root's+ MT version of Can't You hear Me Knocking, one of my favorite Stones songs.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 18:06 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: May 10, 2012 18:05

Stones62, of course quitting the Stones is a "stupid" thing to do...

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: May 10, 2012 18:24

Howeird: "So Mick, so Mick! Whydija quit The Stones?!?"

Taylor: "For the same reason Jackie quit YOUR group!"

The only real missed opportunity last night ...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 10, 2012 18:25

Cant you hear me knocking was f...... Great!!
jeroen

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 18:45

As has been said many times ion this board. Mick left the band to, amongst other things, stay alive. He did what he needed to do. Nothing stupid about that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 02:20 by Stones62.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 10, 2012 19:22

Howard Stern is an ass. But Taylor sounds as good as ever.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: May 10, 2012 19:38

Thanks for the alert about this and all the links.

Nice to see Taylor on network TV. Looked well and showed some nice chops.
Probably spent more time on US network TV last night than in the past 12 years, if not the past 44 years. The ribbing from Stern seems to have been expected/planned.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 10, 2012 19:41

Did I miss something? When did 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' occur? All I got in Los Angeles was a few, very short snippets of Mick at the beginning, and then only a few tantalizing licks when they came back from commercials. I thought Mick Taylor was throughly disrespected. I was hoping he would at least get a number to himself with the band he's with at the Iridium. Instead the last segment, usually the music segment, was a cooking display with some Food Network twerp.

I like Howard Stern, but it's a bit like poking a sweet, wounded dog with stick to embarrass Mick Taylor in front of a national audience. In the intimacy of Howard's radio studio it might be more appropriate, but to see Taylor's pained face while Howard kept returning to it. At least Taylor fought back, but come on, to be humiliated like that on national television was inappropriate.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 10, 2012 19:45

24FPS
....I was hoping he would at least get a number to himself with the band he's with at the Iridium. Instead the last segment, usually the music segment, was a cooking display with some Food Network twerp....
Agree 100%
It fkg redonkulous... it makes no sense to not let Mick play a full song at the end... to maybe help him sell some more tickets to his NY show... I am disgustamapated at fallon and his stupid producers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 19:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 10, 2012 19:53

smokeydusky
The ribbing from Stern seems to have been expected/planned.

Agreed. The exchanges between Stern and Mick Taylor were obviously rehearsed. I know nothing about TV production, but I would assume they did a practice run. Hell, maybe the producers even suggested some lines.

To my surprise, I actually thought it was pretty funny.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: May 10, 2012 20:01

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 10, 2012 20:09

smokeydusky

Probably spent more time on US network TV last night than in the past 12 years, if not the past 44 years. The ribbing from Stern seems to have been expected/planned.
Yeah I thnk you're right. Might be the most exposure ever on american tv. I'm a little surprised he even agreed to it. But he seemd pretty comfortable with it.

Date: May 10, 2012 20:48

***Howard Stern's grilling and ribbing of Mick Taylor was uncomfortable to sit through.***

- Yep. Howard Stern is an horse's arse. Mick Taylor played great.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 10, 2012 20:49

oh snap - i recorded jimmy kimmel, wrong freakin jimmy.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 10, 2012 21:01

I didn't watch the show but I just checked out the link to Can't You Hear Me...and it was brilliant. Way to go Mick!!smoking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 10, 2012 21:02

pinkfloydthebarber
***Howard Stern's grilling and ribbing of Mick Taylor was uncomfortable to sit through.***

And then he was talking about the "black" tuba player. I thought it was prohibited to mention a persons colour on US TV

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 21:07

dewlover
Stones62, of course quitting the Stones is a "stupid" thing to do...
For you perhaps, but for him? Mileage may vary...

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 10, 2012 22:10

smokeydusky

I got the feeling the exchange between Stern and Mick Taylor was planned as well. Wouldn't it have been awesome if MT had replied, yes, in retrospect it was a mistake to leave the Rolling Stones but for your information Howard, I am rejoining them in a few months. Alas, it didn't happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 22:25 by RSbestbandever.

Date: May 10, 2012 22:32

hmmmmmmmm... well....... if it was planned... and maybe it was, then it works to the agenda of informing ignorant people that Mick Taylor was ever even in the Stones.... and although I did not watch it all (I fast forwarded through most of it) I did read here that whats-his-name-fartman repeatedly asked Taylor about quitting the Stones... which I suppose would drill the concept into the young minds.... thus any children (defining children as 18-25 year olds) who were watching learned something new.... and maybe today the children are saying... Durrrrr... uh... like theres this guy, ya know? and like his name is like Mick Taylor, ya know ?... and like, he is a pretty good guitar player, ya know... and... uh.. uhh... and like he used to be in this band called The Rolling Stones.. they are old... but anyway.... he was like in the band ... and then like... he quit.

So... if the theories are correct, when/if Taylor does join up, then all the kiddies will all be up to speed, cuz they saw it on Jimmy Fallon's show.

so who knows.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 22:39 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: May 10, 2012 22:42

What happened to Howard Stern, he looked like shit on Fallon last night.

Why would anyone quit being the most popular DJ in the biggest city in the country to jump on the satellite radio horse and buggy ride?

Date: May 10, 2012 22:44

chelskeith
What happened to Howard Stern, he looked like shit on Fallon last night.

Why would anyone quit being the most popular DJ in the biggest city in the country to jump on the satellite radio horse and buggy ride?

I am no fan... at all... in any way.... but I understand that he made about 300+ Million Dollars for jumping.

Date: May 10, 2012 23:04

Pretty good for the most part. A little lost but still mostly nimble. Certainly WAAAAYYYY more nimble than the Man Of Fiction that we know about ha ha.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 23:11

MT sounded good and it would be lovely to hear him add some judicious licks to Keith and Ronnie's. Watching him that chair however it was a bit hard to imagine him standing through a full length Stones show, or assuming a role as main rocking soloist. At least he never moved back in the day to begin with!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 10, 2012 23:43

mtaylor
pinkfloydthebarber

And then he was talking about the "black" tuba player. I thought it was prohibited to mention a persons colour on US TV
What is this? 1963?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home