Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The archetypal Stones Song
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 18, 2012 17:13

... doesn't exist.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 18, 2012 17:53

Brown Sugar?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 18, 2012 22:49

Hell, some common themes even in the mass of disagreement. I think on reflection JJ Flash and HTW are probably more archetypal than my first thoughts. Thanks...as always.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:11

I concur with Brown Sugar. It's raw, has that slight 'countryish-rock' americana feel.

Really quite a good song.

Date: April 18, 2012 23:18

The only reason I wouldn't pick Brown Sugar is that Jagger wrote both the music and lyrics. Otherwise it is indeed perfect Stones...I think an archetypal Stones song should really be Keith's riff with Jagger's vocals.

Date: April 18, 2012 23:35

crumbling_mice
The only reason I wouldn't pick Brown Sugar is that Jagger wrote both the music and lyrics. Otherwise it is indeed perfect Stones...I think an archetypal Stones song should really be Keith's riff with Jagger's vocals.

It is Keith`s guitar...Jagger just got really good at recreating the KR sound. I don`t think we discard the song on that basis.

I defy you to come up with a better alternative. I immediately thought of Rocks Off but went with Brown Sugar as I think the song should be immediately known and with Brown Sugar, way more people know it because it was a single.

Tumbling Dice is great, but I think the archetypal song should be a bit faster. Honky Tonk Women, too country to be archetypal.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:46

treaclefingers
crumbling_mice

It is Keith`s guitar...Jagger just got really good at recreating the KR sound. I don`t think we discard the song on that basis.

I defy you to come up with a better alternative. I immediately thought of Rocks Off but went with Brown Sugar as I think the song should be immediately known and with Brown Sugar, way more people know it because it was a single.

Tumbling Dice is great, but I think the archetypal song should be a bit faster. Honky Tonk Women, too country to be archetypal.

Jumpin' Jack Flash is a better alternative, but what is better is just something to argue about. Like all other one song choices it's too one dimensial to truly define what they are/were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-18 23:47 by His Majesty.

Date: April 19, 2012 00:02

I do see what you are saying and as I said it is probably the classic Stones sound, feel, lyrics etc etc...but surely it should be a Jagger/Richards joint effort in the true sense of the word i.e a significant input from both n the writing stage...maybe not, I don't know. I can't actually remember if Jagger wrote the riff in a 5 string tuning, if not then that is what Keith brought to the table and if so then I'd agree 100% with you treacle.

Good point Mr Majesty...it's unlikely any one song could every be agreed on and JJ Flash like BS is instantly recognisable as the Stones and has all the necessary ingrediants - but then again so does Start Me Up!

Date: April 19, 2012 00:06

His Majesty
treaclefingers
crumbling_mice

Jumpin' Jack Flash is a better alternative, but what is better is just something to argue about. Like all other one song choices it's too one dimensial to truly define what they are/were.

Your point is totally valid...especially for a band like the stones which covered so many varied styles so well.

Therefore, it is a 'fun' challenge to try and come up with one single song that can best encapsulate it all, or as much as possible. For me, at least today, I'd go with Brown Sugar. Love JJF, and prefer it as a song, but because it is missing that 'country' vibe, that's why I'd go with Brown Sugar.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 19, 2012 00:15

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 19, 2012 04:20

Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Sugar . .

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 19, 2012 04:25

Sympathy for the Devil

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 19, 2012 04:28

One has to look at their whole catalogue to choose an 'archetypal' Stones song. And since the quality level isn't there for a great portion of that (pre-1966 and post-1981 especially) and 'iffy' in many cases within those parameters... to choose one of their 'greatest' or 'most loved tracks' cannot apply.

I think Crazy Mama from Black and Blue is a great example of 'typical' Stones. Open G riffing, Jagger's mysogany is there (for the angry nerdboys who like that), simple beat, mid-tempo song with more attitude than substance. A song they can crank out in their sleep at the time, but not a bad song.

It's the kind of song that if you 'sort of' know the band, and haven't heard this song, it's INSTANTLY recognizable as a Stones track. Go on, try it, I've done so myself with people. And THAT, my friends, is the sign of a good ARCHETYPICAL Stones song.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-19 04:31 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 19, 2012 05:12

Almost impossible but my vote would be Jumpin Jack Flash
smoking smiley

Date: April 19, 2012 09:54

jamesfdouglas
One has to look at their whole catalogue to choose an 'archetypal' Stones song. And since the quality level isn't there for a great portion of that (pre-1966 and post-1981 especially) and 'iffy' in many cases within those parameters... to choose one of their 'greatest' or 'most loved tracks' cannot apply.

I think Crazy Mama from Black and Blue is a great example of 'typical' Stones. Open G riffing, Jagger's mysogany is there (for the angry nerdboys who like that), simple beat, mid-tempo song with more attitude than substance. A song they can crank out in their sleep at the time, but not a bad song.

It's the kind of song that if you 'sort of' know the band, and haven't heard this song, it's INSTANTLY recognizable as a Stones track. Go on, try it, I've done so myself with people. And THAT, my friends, is the sign of a good ARCHETYPICAL Stones song.

I remember hearing SMU the first time on a clock radio, not knowing there was a new stones album coming out and knew INSTANTLY it was the Stones, just from the guitar.

That baby, is archetypal.

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: April 19, 2012 11:42

Star Star....oh sod it, @#$%&

This song has it all for me

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: April 19, 2012 12:11

my vote goes to Jumpin Jack Flash!

some other songs mentioned here would be a good choice too, as Brown Sugar, Tumblin Dice or Star Star.

others dont fit - i dont consider neither "cant you hear me knocking" nor "Crazy Mama" as "typical" stones songs. satisfaction is by far their biggest success and most popular song, but i dont consider it "arhitypical"(but there is no doubt that it is great)

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 19, 2012 12:17

Satisfaction. Keef has said countless times that every Stones rocker is a variation on Satisfaction. It's the archetypal Stones song, and one of about a handful of truly archetypal rock 'n' roll songs, along with the likes of Like a Rolling Stone (Dylan), That's All Right (Elvis), You Really Got Me (Kinks), and Dust My Broom (Robert Johnson).

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 19, 2012 15:33

the great thing about the Stones is they wrote a lot of archetypal Stones songs.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 19, 2012 15:51

I wish I could say 'Rip this joint'....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 19, 2012 15:58

Easy........start by practising your rrrrrrrrrrr's

ROCKMAN

Date: April 19, 2012 20:29

Rockman
Easy........start by practising your rrrrrrrrrrr's

Funny! smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home