Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
First CD you ever bought?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 15, 2012 12:23

Spin off from the other thread.

My first CD was Talk is cheap. I liked it, loved parts of it. Not a great CD but I still have it and sometimes listen to the songs on Spotify or maybe I downloaded them, cant remember. Take it so hard is so good it should be remixed. Same goes for Make no mistake, Struggle and Rockawhile and You dont move me.

Re: First CD you ever bought?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 15, 2012 12:26

Die Schöpfung, Franz Joseph Haydn 1991...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 15, 2012 12:42

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks. I was fairly late in crossing over to Cd's as I was a student when they came out and I couldn't afford to buy a player let alone the Cd's themselves which were ridiculously expensive in the early 90's. So I struggled on with vinyl and cassettes until about 94! I'n seriously considering investing in a Brennan which I could store all my cd's on and use it like an ipod/juke box. THe only thing stopping me is that they are MP3's. If I could find one that would conmvert cd's to WaV that would be the way forward.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: April 15, 2012 12:45

The Rolling Stones - Voodoo Lounge

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 15, 2012 13:10

Disraeli Gears Cream,I'd had the vinyl for years and it always lacked something that I couldn't put my finger on sound wise,so when CD's came out I purposefully bought this CD to see if all the hype attached to them was true,it wasn't.
I bought a more recent issue last year and that is a bit better,it's part of a 4CD swet called Those Were The Days.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: April 15, 2012 14:55

Dirty Work - (before I had a CD player)
Bought the vinyl and the CD the day it came out.

Per-Arne

Posted by: steini ()
Date: April 15, 2012 15:16

Love You Live in 1988

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 15, 2012 15:18

Neil Young's Arc Weld......
& Chuck Berry's greatest hits - I think on the same day

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 15, 2012 16:18

Strong Persuader -Robert Cray. It's an incredible CD. Circa 1986. It's produced in the likes of Tatto You.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: April 15, 2012 16:38

Marquee Moon - Television

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: April 15, 2012 17:02

Let it Bleed.....i didn't get a cd player till 88...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 15, 2012 17:11

Herbert Grönemeyer: Sprünge or Police: Greatest Hits
I can't actually remember which one I bought first - anyway it was back in 1986 and my preferences changed a lot since those days

Date: April 15, 2012 17:42

The Stooges - Fun House. Still have it. And around $500 for the CD player about +25 years ago. God I'm old.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Date: April 15, 2012 17:45

I think it was Rewind.

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: April 15, 2012 19:31

Johnny Thunders-Que Sera Sera

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:13

I can't remember. But I joined one of those Record/CD clubs and I built a collection real fast, real cheap. What I do remember at the time was all the scare talk of how fast CDs would degrade. What was it, five years? And then people were doing weird things like putting magic marker around the edges to improve the sound. All of it is crap of course. I can pull out my James Taylor's Greatest Hits from 1988 and it sounds as good as it ever did.

I wasn't convinced the CDs were all that much better until I heard a Hendrix CD using Sonic NoNoise Solutions, or something like that. For the first time I heard what could be. And I was pissed that the Beatles didn't apply something similar to what were very crap CDs. (And which they didn't correct until 2009)

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:39

Like A Prayer - Madonna. 1989.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 15, 2012 21:28

yes 90125

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 15, 2012 23:37

A cool one: Bruce Hornsby and the Range, "The way it is" in 1985 ...

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: April 16, 2012 00:11

Exile on Main St. before I had a player (which I promptly bought).

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: April 16, 2012 00:21

Wow - we have some young people on this thread LOL. I bought my first CD player in June 1985 (I remember because I also got married that month - both things were pretty good!) and there were not many Stones CD's to choose from. I do not even remember the actual first Stones CD I bought, but among the first were the German "Hot Rocks 1 & II" (with the cool wide stereo versions) and Japanese "Undercover". I think the German "Aftermath" was next. It was a while before the rest of the Stones CD's were widely available.

My actual very first CD I purchased was Sting's "Dream of the Blue Turtles". The second might have been Dire Straits' "Brother in Arms".

Sorry to go on so long, but I think I am lamenting the predicted demise of the format. I will miss having them...

Sure, vinyl can sound better, but they usually sounded like crap after repeated listens, casettes were miserable also, so when CD's came out I was pretty psyched! And then when Napster and CD burning came to be - Holy Sh*t - I was like a kid in a candy store LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-16 00:23 by Lynd8.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: April 16, 2012 00:41

I bougt 3 at the same time, The Eagles Greatest Hits The Monkees first album, and Weird Al "Even Worse". It was 1988 and I had just graduated 8th grade and got a CD player for my graduation present.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 16, 2012 00:49

First CD........I really can't remember ..........must be a Stones record or maybe the Beatles ...I do remember that LP's disappear very quickly when CD's where introduced in the stores

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: April 16, 2012 04:10

"Weird Al" Yankovic's Running With Scissors. I bought it a week after it first came out in 1999. Still remains my favorite Weird Al album to this day.

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: April 16, 2012 05:37

my 1st CD was the the British(?) Hot Rocks, that had the true stereophonic versions of Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud and a couple others. Had the CD for months before finally getting the player LOLOL
---------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2012 06:14

....what about the first CD ya pinched from a store or ya local Library ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2012 06:16

Tattoo You. I had it on album already, but I wanted it on CD!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 16, 2012 08:27

First Stones-CD I bought was 'Out of our Heads', and first Beatles 'Rubber Soul'....both from 1965...what a year....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 16, 2012 11:12

First CD I bought was possibly Ten Summoner's Tales by Sting in 1993.
I was quite late at buying CD's as I already had many albums on cassettes and wasn't convinced it would be better anyway! Quickly changed my mind once I started to get CD's.
First Stones on CD was Voodoo Lounge and then the beautifully packaged Virgin remasters...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 16, 2012 12:24

Vanilla Fudge self titles album with You Kee me Hangin On and Eleanor Rigby....

yep, STILL one of my faves

Rod
Perth
Australia

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home