Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: The Next Bootleg Release - Date!
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 29, 2012 01:51

falo01
Justin
falo01
- concerning number of sales I think that things go terrible wrong for them.
almost nobody of the "common" fans (the mass crowd) dont even know about
stonesarchive.org. I´m shocked all the time that these people have no idea
whats available. the only people who know from stonesarchive are the ones, who
already have those recordings in their fault for ages.
I think the sales are terrible low, especially the hampton sales.

Not sure where you're getting your information or how you're collecting your data but I wouldn't assume that any of that is true. It's not just people on Stones boards who are aware of the archive. On the site RateYourMusic.com both Brussels and Hampton make it on the Top 10 highest rated Stones albums of all time--with Brussels taking the first spot. The right people are finding about these recordings and word is going around just fine. The Steve Hoffman board has huge activity on these Archive releases. People are noticing. Not the same as the product being in the stores--but doing well enough for word of mouth to spread.

but thats not the mass. the mass doesnt even know there are bootlegs like hampton or atlantic city available. mouth-to-mouth does not create sales the stones are satisfied with. there is no advertising at all and ratings on some freak sites doesnt mean a thing.

In terms of advertising, they are linking the Google Music site to any other Google owned website on the net. I've seen many ads up on sites like Gmail and YouTube advertising for the latest archive release and linking to it. You saying "no advertisement" is false.

I am not sure how you would know what sales "the stones are satisfied with" but the fact that they are still continuing the series is enough to garner that it's going well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 01:52 by Justin.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: March 29, 2012 02:54

well I should have said advertising outside the internet.
I havent seen any online yet but if you did.....

the proposed 6 releases, so they have to release them if they dont wanna cause lots of laughter...... its getting interesting after the 6 releases are out !
the good thing for sure is that there are almost no costs. they dont want to make
big money with the recordings, they want to sell the merchandising which is offered
with the releases.
of course we can only guess about the sales but even here, the feedback is very
mixed, so we can be sure the sales are lower than expected.

I wish it would be the other way around. big sales, letting them release much more.
the only thing is that I very much doubt it.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 29, 2012 06:28

>I would rather it be from a tour where we have no other official releases

There is no official release from the '75 tour, other than a couple of tracks on LYL.

And I doubt anyone here has heard Leeds '71 remastered by Bob Clearmountain.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 29, 2012 08:39

tkl7
falo01
Justin
falo01

Not sure where you're getting your information or how you're collecting your data but I wouldn't assume that any of that is true. It's not just people on Stones boards who are aware of the archive. On the site RateYourMusic.com both Brussels and Hampton make it on the Top 10 highest rated Stones albums of all time--with Brussels taking the first spot. The right people are finding about these recordings and word is going around just fine. The Steve Hoffman board has huge activity on these Archive releases. People are noticing. Not the same as the product being in the stores--but doing well enough for word of mouth to spread.

but thats not the mass. the mass doesnt even know there are bootlegs like hampton or atlantic city available. mouth-to-mouth does not create sales the stones are satisfied with. there is no advertising at all and ratings on some freak sites doesnt mean a thing.

That's nonsense. Anyone who uses google music would have seen Brussels plastered on the front page when it was released. The Guardian called it one of the albums of the year. They were selling it for a quarter at one point.

I think Falo is correct. For instance, non of my friends who are "the normal fan", meaning that they have been to concerts and have most of their official records - but don't participate at messageboards or collect bootleg recordings, etc; hadn't heard about these stonesarchieve-releases before I told them

And even when I told them, they didn't seem to interested....it took some time explaining that it wasn't just "so so live-recordings" that only the die hard would enjoy

Why leave them the recordings in the vaults for 30-40 years if they're so good then, was their main question. I guess they'll download them for free after speaking to me, just because they feel "forced to"

These vault releases are meant for "us"....us on this board. So it's so silly if they're going to keep on with the "Hampton 81" style for their 4 future releases; by releasing Leeds 71 and Atlantic City 89, for instance. At least I won't be purchasing anything more from them, if so, but download illegally; if I bother to at all. And I think a lot of "fans" think the same way as me. I bet the sales went downhill from Brussels 1973 to Hampton 1981.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 08:46 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: bcbud ()
Date: March 29, 2012 09:49

Maybe stonesarchive is looking to first cash in on the downloads from the hardcore then release all the titles in conventional CD format or box-set, marketed to the larger audience but also appealing to the hardcore ... I'd much prefer factory produced CD versions of all these titles.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: March 29, 2012 09:53

1971-03-12
Liverpool 2nd show was recorded soundboard by Glyn Johns.

Wouldn't be the case to organize a petition for this one?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 29, 2012 10:59

As usual, we ain't gonna agree on this...but fortunatly unlike many of the debates on here, this one will be resolved in the very near future...and as usual it will be a huge surprise!

Date: March 29, 2012 11:11

The archive releases are also heavily marketed on Facebook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 12:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 29, 2012 12:11

Erik_Snow
tkl7
falo01
Justin
falo01

That's nonsense. Anyone who uses google music would have seen Brussels plastered on the front page when it was released. The Guardian called it one of the albums of the year. They were selling it for a quarter at one point.

I think Falo is correct. For instance, non of my friends who are "the normal fan", meaning that they have been to concerts and have most of their official records - but don't participate at messageboards or collect bootleg recordings, etc; hadn't heard about these stonesarchieve-releases before I told them

And even when I told them, they didn't seem to interested....it took some time explaining that it wasn't just "so so live-recordings" that only the die hard would enjoy

Why leave them the recordings in the vaults for 30-40 years if they're so good then, was their main question. I guess they'll download them for free after speaking to me, just because they feel "forced to"

These vault releases are meant for "us"....us on this board. So it's so silly if they're going to keep on with the "Hampton 81" style for their 4 future releases; by releasing Leeds 71 and Atlantic City 89, for instance. At least I won't be purchasing anything more from them, if so, but download illegally; if I bother to at all. And I think a lot of "fans" think the same way as me. I bet the sales went downhill from Brussels 1973 to Hampton 1981.

Stones do not communicate that much around the releases (FB and stones archive). It is very confidential. No ad in magazines or tv.
The purpose is to please the fans only.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 29, 2012 12:14

We all know that a track or two from LA '75 was used on Love You Live (Sympathy) so they have the multi-tracks. Famous bootleg name, multi-tracks in tow, tour not directly covered by a live release, seems like a no-brainer. Leeds would fit that bill too so maybe it's still coming.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 29, 2012 12:46

Eric Snow

Spot on! Plus there are many other good points being made on this thread. I still have hope that they'll treat us with something special.

Date: March 29, 2012 12:59

Come on, guys! We only have two releases out of six. One was a great surprise - simply a fantastic release. The other one was a safe bet, but still one of the most popular shows that needed to be released in fantastic quality.

I guess at least some of the four next releases will be as great and surprising as the brilliant "The Brussels Affair".

Date: March 29, 2012 13:25

DandelionPowderman
The other one was a safe bet, but still one of the most popular shows that needed to be released in fantastic quality.

In brickwalled "Foo Fighters style" quality, you mean

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: March 29, 2012 14:04

Root for Leeds '71!!!!

Date: March 29, 2012 14:17

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
The other one was a safe bet, but still one of the most popular shows that needed to be released in fantastic quality.

In brickwalled "Foo Fighters style" quality, you mean

I disagree strongly. Everything's crisp and clear both on my phone (mp3) and on my stereo (Flac).

Funnily, someone recently gave me the latest Foo Fighters album, which I found totally unlistenable, both sonically and music-wise smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 29, 2012 14:35

Justin
falo01
[word-of-mouth advertising] does not create sales the stones are satisfied with

I am not sure how you would know what sales "the Stones are satisfied with" but the fact that they are still continuing the series is enough to garner that it's going well.

... well but isn't it googletunes that needs to be satisfied (or not) with sales?

the Stones have a contract with google for the six releases - which have already been chosen -
so don't you reckon google's paid the band a set sum for them? which the Stones are apparently satisfied with, since they agreed to it

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 29, 2012 14:48

DandelionPowderman

That seems to be the problem. Imho artists have been brain-washed into being "hip". Being hip meaning thinking the old "paper" medias are useless now and all the promo should be made thru social groups. Goodbye ads in the rock press or promotional interviews!

Well well... someone as hip as Trent Reznor just admitted/realized his latest effort was overlooked by everyone except his hardcore fan-base. TR realized Facebook is not everything on this planet...

Date: March 29, 2012 14:50

dcba
DandelionPowderman

That seems to be the problem. Imho artists have been brain-washed into being "hip". Being hip meaning thinking the old "paper" medias are useless now and all the promo should be made thru social groups. Goodbye ads in the rock press or promotional interviews!

Well well... someone as hip as Trent Reznor just admitted/realized his latest effort was overlooked by everyone except his hardcore fan-base. TR realized Facebook is not everything on this planet...

It's past "hip" now, since almost everybody is using the social medias throughout the world. They reach more people quicker, it's as simple as that, like it or not...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 29, 2012 14:54

"almost everybody is using the social medias throughout the world"

My point is precisely that a large majority of the people do not use these social networks and it's a huge mistake to just rely on them for promotion.

Read Erik Snow about his "casual fans" friends...

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 29, 2012 14:56

if,something from 1990íes comes out,Paradiso-1995(both).

Date: March 29, 2012 15:10

dcba
"almost everybody is using the social medias throughout the world"

My point is precisely that a large majority of the people do not use these social networks and it's a huge mistake to just rely on them for promotion.

Exactly. And even me, who is more interested in music than "normal people" do NOT follow other favourite artists of mine (like Clapton, Bowie, Roxy Music etc) on the internet; through sites like facebook, the artist's homepage, google-music, etc

If any of those artists....or my other 10 favourite artists/bands pulled a vault-stunt in the same style as Rolling Stones has done; I'd never get to hear about it, for sure.

Date: March 29, 2012 15:14

Erik_Snow
If any of those artists....or my other 10 favourite artists/bands pulled a vault-stunt in the same style as Rolling Stones has done; I'd never get to hear about it, for sure.

be glad about it, you would need additional 24 hours each day ;-)

Date: March 29, 2012 15:54

falo01
Erik_Snow

be glad about it, you would need additional 24 hours each day ;-)

....or I could use listen to one album on one ear and another on the other simultaneously

There's gotta be a reason for us having 2 of them, so....

Date: March 29, 2012 16:01

Erik_Snow

....or I could use listen to one album on one ear and another on the other simultaneously

There's gotta be a reason for us having 2 of them, so....

that would define the meaning of a "matrix" in complete different way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 16:02 by falo01.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 29, 2012 16:37

I have 4 brothers that couldn't wait to ask me if I knew anything about the Exile and Some Girls releases which actually do have a marketing campaign behind them.

I'm waiting for the first of any of them to find and notice a Stones Archive release. They know nothing of them...

Posted by: iggy.pop ()
Date: March 29, 2012 16:51

kowalski
crumbling_mice
The general feeling seems to be LA, is this leaked or just wishful thinking on some people's parts?

This cover artwork has been posted on a Japanese website last week:

I think it's a fake. But maybe i'm wrong. But it's on the lettering : there is something wrong.

I bet on a Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour (Atlantic City, Wembley) or a Voodoo Lounge Tour (Miaimi 94) concert. We've got 73, 81 so, the next one will be newer than Hampton. And if it's an older than Hampton, i think of Paris 76. Or El mocambo.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 29, 2012 16:58

Munichhilton
I have 4 brothers that couldn't wait to ask me if I knew anything about the Exile and Some Girls releases which actually do have a marketing campaign behind them.

I'm waiting for the first of any of them to find and notice a Stones Archive release. They know nothing of them...

The market for these live recordings is a niche one. We're it and using social media tp promote these recordings makes all the sense in the world. Bringing them to market in the traditional fashion would require up to nine months of time, at a minimum, and expense in packaging, manufacturing, warehousing and distribution to say nothing of convincing wary mainstream AND indie retailers that there's a market for a two CD set that would likely retail for $20.

Instead, we get a beloved show, remastered to near perfection, every three months for A MERE $5.00. And we don't even have to leave the house.

Were your brothers aware of Hampton or Brussels when they first were making the collectors rounds decades ago?

Date: March 29, 2012 16:58

iggy.pop
kowalski
crumbling_mice
The general feeling seems to be LA, is this leaked or just wishful thinking on some people's parts?

This cover artwork has been posted on a Japanese website last week:

I think it's a fake. But maybe i'm wrong. But it's on the lettering : there is something wrong.

I bet on a Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour (Atlantic City, Wembley) or a Voodoo Lounge Tour (Miaimi 94) concert. We've got 73, 81 so, the next one will be newer than Hampton. And if it's an older than Hampton, i think of Paris 76. Or El mocambo.

Couldn't somebody that understand Japanese tell us WHY this cover was posted on that "Hot Stuff" - website?

Maybe it's just a "wish" of theirs.....almost like a joke. Doesn't mean that it's "leaked" from stonesarchieve

The same reason I posted these covers on IORR 8 years ago:

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 29, 2012 17:05

Is there any confirmation on the April 3 release date other than the original post?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2012 17:15

Ross
Is there any confirmation on the April 3 release date other than the original post?

Yes. I got a Facebook post this morning from the Stones site.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home