Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: If Bill's IN for the Tour - what about Mick Taylor?
Date: March 22, 2012 17:27

I certainly have nothing against Taylor coming back. I loved what he did on Plundered My Soul. It was astounding to find out he did that in 2010 or whenver instead of 1971.

He could still play like that.

Thoughts on that actually happening etc are one thing. I'm afraid it will be business as usual though.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 22, 2012 17:31

The GR
Wood has been all over the press the last few years with various women, has a radio show and won awards seen at horse races and snooker games. Where's little Micks public profile?

I love Mick Taylors music, seen him 4 times (once with John Mayall - recorded every show and they're all circulating for all you out there to enjoy). But I don't think Mick returning after 39 years will do much.

Woody has always been gregarious. It's part of his charm.

But let's be honest. The General public has not become more familiar with Ron Wood due to his radio show, or snooker games or paintings, but rather for striking his nearly underage girl friend in the street and for going to rehab for the 9th or 10th time.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 22, 2012 17:45

The GR

Tell the public that Brian Jones is coming back.

That's a given, he will be there.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 22, 2012 17:48

It was a 50th birthday now, now it's a reunion tour.

It's still people trying to take a jigsaw puzzle and making sense. I would be happy to see Little Mick at a show but i'm not that bothered either way, personally I don't think it's going to happen 9that is the whole tour idea).

Date: March 22, 2012 17:56

71Tele
The GR
Wood has been all over the press the last few years with various women, has a radio show and won awards seen at horse races and snooker games. Where's little Micks public profile?

I love Mick Taylors music, seen him 4 times (once with John Mayall - recorded every show and they're all circulating for all you out there to enjoy). But I don't think Mick returning after 39 years will do much.

I really find it amazing that some people who supposedly love the Stones are so ambivalent about a member of the group coming back - especially a member who created so much magic with the band. Look at any Stones setlist from the recent era and see just how much the group relies on material created during the years when Taylor was a member. There are six living members of the Rolling Stones. I can't think of a better way for the band to cap its legacy by having all xis on stage. What Stones fan wouldn't be excited by this? Many, I guess, judging from this site.

I really think part of the problem is that there are some fans here who grew up with the Darryl Jones-and cast of thousands version of the band, and that's what they actually prefer. The Stones to them is not just Wood, but Darryl, Chuck, Blondie, etc. That's what they like, and they seemed almost threatened by any variation - even the return of two actual members.

I think you're right Tele.

The changes, of all types, between tours used to be dramatic if you look at the Stones entire legacy.

But with age, naturally it changes, by comparison, to much less now.

Some are embracing that the shows become incrementally worse every time out, not just technically with a few "bum notes" but with a strategy that seeks to compensate only by becoming ever more sterile.

Moreover the reasons offered only a year or barely more ago, to preclude Taylor from a tour keep changing.

The old standby he doesn't look like a Stone, now apply to Richards.

The speculation Taylor can no longer play that well, reflect even more on Richards now (not to pick on Keith, its mostly or perhaps completely out of his control I imagine)

- there was even the argument put forth here not long ago, along the lines of "I know a guy who knows Taylor and Taylor is a complete idiot who cannot handle a tour". Sounded mean, but what do I know - maybe its true.

But then it seemed Ronnie might get kicked out of the band if he didn't sober up, but its even now, a few short months later, postulated that Ronnie can hold up his own end and Keith's even.

And then it seems Keith's playing has deteriorated to such an extent it is now celebrated by the faithful. No mistake or performance is bad enough it can't be complimented or celebrated even. MMM.. those "dirty guitars" I love so much. Backed by a Vegas production! PERFECT...

In the end, I think some fans just want to see this band, as constituted currently, posing all the way to the bank.

Keith is the one who said "This is a Guitar band". Well, lets see it! While it's still possible.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 22, 2012 18:00

MCDDTLC
Hey all you TAYLORITES out there, don't you want to see Taylor included in this
"reunion" tour? I know I do. We need to stir the pot enough for the Glimmer Twins
to invite Mr. Taylor back "IN" for this special occasion... Hopefully that's
already in their plans, Jagger seems pleased with his recent work with MT on:
Plundered My Soul - think they would want Taylor around if they want to play that
number on tour..

What do you all think?

MLC

DEFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIck Taylor playing with Ronnie and Keith would let Keith chill his fingers as and when needed mid gig etc, Ronnie already covers him as best as he can tbh

Mick an Ronnie have a nice contrast in styles - be great to hear both (sorry, all three)

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 22, 2012 18:34

71Tele
I really find it amazing that some people who supposedly love the Stones are so ambivalent about a member of the group coming back - especially a member who created so much magic with the band. Look at any Stones setlist from the recent era and see just how much the group relies on material created during the years when Taylor was a member.

He would probably just add to the wreckage of the train wreck.

In saying that, IF they play again it would be nice if Wyman and Taylor were included, if not for the whole set, then atleast for part of it. It's the obvious, natural thing to do I think, but the stones are funny buggers and ego and money might come in to it and spoil things.

His inclusion on modern day Plundered My Soul overdubs is odd. Why bother at all for only one track!? Why was Keith unaware of it!? I don't like the track, but Taylor certainly made it more interesting than had he not been on it.

That's IF anything happens in the first place. Most importantly though the official band is it is now, Keith especially, needs to get their shite together.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 22, 2012 18:42

The GR
Ask the public who Mick Taylor is and that's how much interest it would generate, about nil.

Well GR - alot of Stones fans know who Taylor is/was - if it was well reported,
all the old Stones members are playing together, interviews with Slash, Chris
Robinson of the Black Crows, Steven Tyler - if all these guys commented on who
much they loved the Taylor era Stones, bet all that "buzz" would create additional demand.. IMO

MLC

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 22, 2012 18:50

I seem to remember being a Stones fan for 34 years myself.

Again Chris Robinson means nothing to the public, the others i'll give you.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: March 22, 2012 20:56

Taylor coming back has almost become a necessity if the Stones do continue live. The guitar section really needs a shot in the arm if these guys are going to be 70 years old and still be a guitar band. Without Taylor, a live show would become even more of a "Chuck show"... it would have to be. Keith and Ron just can't carry the gig like they used to.

Less travel and staying camped out in a few cities would also help Mick Taylor coming back (and obviously Bill too, less flying) because I don't know if Taylor is in condition for "the road" in a traditional way.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 22, 2012 20:58

mickjagger1009
Taylor coming back has almost become a necessity if the Stones do continue live. The guitar section really needs a shot in the arm if these guys are going to be 70 years old and still be a guitar band. Without Taylor, a live show would become even more of a "Chuck show"... it would have to be. Keith and Ron just can't carry the gig like they used to.

Less travel and staying camped out in a few cities would also help Mick Taylor coming back (and obviously Bill too, less flying) because I don't know if Taylor is in condition for "the road" in a traditional way.

I don't think any of them can tour in the "traditional" way, except perhaps Mick.

Date: March 22, 2012 21:02

71Tele
mickjagger1009

I don't think any of them can tour in the "traditional" way, except perhaps Mick.

They're wrecked out now, washed up high upon the beach.

Date: March 23, 2012 02:40

SweetThing
71Tele
mickjagger1009

They're wrecked out now, washed up high upon the beach.

I hope there are some shows, and I would prefer a very small number of great shows to a potential train wreck of another giant world tour, which I just don't think they can physically sustain. But if they prove me wrong, great!

Posted by: SaigonVoodoo ()
Date: March 23, 2012 03:31

As much as I like Blondie, having Mick T. would eliminate his guitar responsibilities and that would be fine with me. They could go back to being a real guitar band with lot's of 'the ancient art of weaving' going on.

The possibilities would be endless.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 23, 2012 04:03

I doubt there are many Iron Maiden fans on this board...

...but when one of their ex-guitarists (Adrian Smith) re-joined the band in 1999, instead of jettisoning his replacement (Janick Gers) they decided to keep both, along with original axe-man Dave Murray, giving them a three-guitar attack.

It's allowed them to more faithfully replicate some of their more intricate guitar harmonies onstage...sometimes the sound gets a bit muddy live, but overall, it's been a great experiment.

Just something to think about...I don't know if the Stones have the musical discipline anymore to make three guitars work, but the idea is certainly intriguing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-23 04:04 by keefriff99.

Date: March 23, 2012 04:17

keefriff99
I doubt there are many Iron Maiden fans on this board...

...but when one of their ex-guitarists (Adrian Smith) re-joined the band in 1999, instead of jettisoning his replacement (Janick Gers) they decided to keep both, along with original axe-man Dave Murray, giving them a three-guitar attack.

It's allowed them to more faithfully replicate some of their more intricate guitar harmonies onstage...sometimes the sound gets a bit muddy live, but overall, it's been a great experiment.

Just something to think about...I don't know if the Stones have the musical discipline anymore to make three guitars work, but the idea is certainly intriguing.

So did Bruce and the E Street Band when Steve Van Zandt decided to suspend his political career and rejoin the group.

Date: March 23, 2012 04:30

Yeah, I mean how hard can it be to incorporate Richards, Wood and Taylor?

The stones aren't technically great players, apart from perhaps Taylor at one time, but they're good musicians who can play off one another. Even if they took a more stilted approach, I am sure they can make it work.

Remember Dylan's My Back Pages with Clapton and Neil Young both taking short solos in a brief 4 and half minute rendition? With about 15 people on stage? At a one-off concert with one rehearsal? Missed queues, a microphone not working, Dylan's voice shot, etc etc.

I mean, if you don't like those guys too much or are a purist its easy to tear it down.

But delivered pretty well for the faithful I think. It worked.

Ronnie, Keith and Taylor can't do as well?

We haven't heard decades of Satisfaction or Brown Sugar etc. done some other way? It's not as if they were doing the definitive live versions of too much of their catalogue on the last tour.

Date: March 23, 2012 05:25

SweetThing
Yeah, I mean how hard can it be to incorporate Richards, Wood and Taylor?

The stones aren't technically great players, apart from perhaps Taylor at one time, but they're good musicians who can play off one another. Even if they took a more stilted approach, I am sure they can make it work.

Remember Dylan's My Back Pages with Clapton and Neil Young both taking short solos in a brief 4 and half minute rendition? With about 15 people on stage? At a one-off concert with one rehearsal? Missed queues, a microphone not working, Dylan's voice shot, etc etc.

I mean, if you don't like those guys too much or are a purist its easy to tear it down.

But delivered pretty well for the faithful I think. It worked.

Ronnie, Keith and Taylor can't do as well?

We haven't heard decades of Satisfaction or Brown Sugar etc. done some other way? It's not as if they were doing the definitive live versions of too much of their catalogue on the last tour.

Great clip. Thanks for posting. I love how Ronnie gives Bob his cue to start singing the second verse on "Knocking On Heaven's Door".

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2197
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home