Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 'It's Only Rock and Roll' on 'Love You Live'...
Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 8, 2012 17:45

Mathijs
Fantastic version, really one of the best. and about LYL: I love side 1, 3 and 4, but really don't like side 2, with TD, YGTM, FF and YCAGWYW. TD and FF sound so strange, so clinical and sterile. I never liked YGTM, and YCAGWY is nice but too edited for my taste.

Mathijs

FF is too edited also :-(

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 10, 2012 06:42

will come back to this as soon as I solve my technical problem.

(and by the way, where IS Gazza??!!)

the plexiglass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-10 06:51 by timbernardis.

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: March 10, 2012 13:42

Mathijs
Fantastic version, really one of the best. and about LYL: I love side 1, 3 and 4, but really don't like side 2, with TD, YGTM, FF and YCAGWYW. TD and FF sound so strange, so clinical and sterile. I never liked YGTM, and YCAGWY is nice but too edited for my taste.

Mathijs

yeah, i agree with you about side 1,3 and 4, and TD sucks, best version ever was TD from bruxelles 73, and YCAGWYW from Hampton 81 was even better than this version. But YGTM was the best version i would say on this album-

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 10, 2012 14:17

Very raw sound, and sloppy...but maybe the best live version of the song. Anytime I have heard the band play it since, it has lacked any energy...mostly from Keith and Ronnie being more busy laughing and posing than playing. Having Chuck drive it with his piano (and I am not slamming Chuck) just isn't the same as having it guitar-driven.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 10, 2012 15:18

Put it in perspective,not too much live Stones was available in 1977, we had Get Yer Ya Yas Out from 7 years earlier, very few bootlegs were in circulation, or just starting to prosper, some of us had heard the King Bisquit broadcast from 74, so compared to today, there wasn't much. What a thrill it was to hear Love You Live when it came out. El Mocambo was a dream, the rest of the album was exciting, and It's Only Rock N Roll we later learned was from Toronto 75. We had this official album in our collection as the only Stones Live today, except for bootlegs, until a year or so later with the 78 King Bisquit, and 78 tour bootlegs, then the 81 tour was 3 years after that,We heard Hampton in Dec 81, Still Life came out in June 82.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 10, 2012 16:06

tomk
71Tele
The El Mocambo side was so good - and the other three sides so bad in comparison - that I have always wondered why they just didn't release a live album culled entirely from the El Mocambo shows?

I loved LYL when it came out (still do, in an odd way), but I always thought that my bootlegs from the LA Forum in '75 sounded way better--and they were an audience recording. However, a lot of bootlegs are like that.

I also had a great bootleg from LA, '75, which made me excited to anticipate LYL. I liked it, but I thought a properly mixed LP from the LA Forum might have been better. I remember my LA boot having a great, and lengthy Keith solo on Cloud, which was pared down to nothing on LYL. Also Fingerprint File had a fantstic, long wah-wah solo from Keith on the boot, which was sadly absent on LYL. But back then, a new live Stones album was a huge deal, unlike later on, when pretty much every tour produced a live album. In general, the LA forum was also a hotter performance but...You can't always get what you want. For me LYL does have a lot of moments that I still like. If You Can't Rock Me / Cloud, Happy, Hot Stuff, Star Star, FF, Side 3, IORR...it's all a bit sloppy but it does rock!

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 11, 2012 10:33

tomk
And on the '76 tour they played it in the key of G.

Yeah that's true and I always found it really odd how they were always changing the key of this song. Were they just never happy with it or what? The studio version I think (if I recall correctly) is in E, the live version in '75 was in B with Keith playing in open G capoed at the 4th fret. The '76 version was in G with Keith in open G and then later on in the "Vegas" era it's been played in B again (probably other keys too) with Keith using standard tuning.

I understand when they change "Wild Horses" from G to A or "Tumbling Dice" to Bb or "Happy" to Bb or A because those are fairly small changes (a step, half-step in some cases). But with "It's Only Rock And Roll", they were jumping all over the place.

BTW, I rather like Love You Live. I didn't care for it much when I first heard it and I do think it could have been ALOT better. But I always loved the energy of side 4. Love the version of "Star Star" too. It's very flawed, but it's certainly got it's moments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-11 10:35 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 11, 2012 18:55

The first live version of It's Only Rock 'n' Roll I ever heard (7/13/75 L.A. Forum) is still the best version I've ever heard. Ragged and glorious!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 12, 2012 00:16

palerider22
IMHO one of the great live moments of the band. For me it pretty much defines the Stones as I like them. This performance ranks right up there with Gimme Shelter from Brussels or Midnight Rambler from Ya Ya's. I can't get enough of it...and I'm a Taylorite! When i play it once I end up playing it three times...The opening lick that starts that locomotive guitar and drumbeat beat...Mick just singing like he means it, Keith's backup vocals, the piano, the 'whoooos' at the end...It's been an exhilerating listen for me since it first came out. I never get tired of it...Too bad I have little time for the rest of the album except for the El Mocambo side once in a while...

Yeah!

Agreed. It's by far and away my fave version of IORR. I usually find the song a bit boring but here it really rocks!

Date: March 12, 2012 00:24

jamesfdouglas
Sides one and two aren't very good. Side three is pretty good, side four is... okay, I don't know. Still better than the first disc/side/piece o' vinyl.

I think Side 1 is actually pretty good except for HTW, which IMO is the worst opener they ever used. It's Side 2, and Side 4 that bite.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 12, 2012 07:19

Palace Revolution 2000
jamesfdouglas
Sides one and two aren't very good. Side three is pretty good, side four is... okay, I don't know. Still better than the first disc/side/piece o' vinyl.

I think Side 1 is actually pretty good except for HTW, which IMO is the worst opener they ever used. It's Side 2, and Side 4 that bite.

HTW is great on LYL!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 12, 2012 07:34

buffalo7478
Very raw sound, and sloppy...but maybe the best live version of the song. Anytime I have heard the band play it since, it has lacked any energy...mostly from Keith and Ronnie being more busy laughing and posing than playing. Having Chuck drive it with his piano (and I am not slamming Chuck) just isn't the same as having it guitar-driven.

The bit about Ron and Keith? Sad but True. They are a bit like The Saturday Night Live sketch: Night at the Roxbury.

Two goof balls clowning around who accord little to no respect. . .. And we pay'em for the 'privilege.'

Watch out for the Train Wreck.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1590
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home