Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'It's Only Rock and Roll' on 'Love You Live'...
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 03:46

IMHO one of the great live moments of the band. For me it pretty much defines the Stones as I like them. This performance ranks right up there with Gimme Shelter from Brussels or Midnight Rambler from Ya Ya's. I can't get enough of it...and I'm a Taylorite! When i play it once I end up playing it three times...The opening lick that starts that locomotive guitar and drumbeat beat...Mick just singing like he means it, Keith's backup vocals, the piano, the 'whoooos' at the end...It's been an exhilerating listen for me since it first came out. I never get tired of it...Too bad I have little time for the rest of the album except for the El Mocambo side once in a while...

Yeah!

Re: 'It's Only Rock and Roll' on 'Love You Live'...
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 8, 2012 04:08

I agree, it's one of the best non El Mocambo tracks on Love You Live . Also funny how it's the first track after El Mocambo and it's also from Toronto (two years earlier) making it a 5-shot T.O. cocktail!

"Do you think that you're the only woman in TAH-RONT-TO!!!!"

I've always listened to disc 2 WAY more than disc 1 of Love You Live.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-08 04:09 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 04:08

great point pale ride,always loved that version so much.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 8, 2012 05:09

Well not to be a dissonant chord here but it sounds a bit off on the timing , rushed or something. Especially the vocals. Where are the vocal notes? Mick's just kind of talking through it. I'll bet it was GREAT live seeing the performers pushing it but as a recorded piece of live music, presented only as the song, it only gets 3 of 5 stars from this ole boy. peace

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 8, 2012 05:14

the worst live LP of all time.IMO . i cringe when i think of it.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 05:23

Midnight Toker

True that...but IORR...played loud...is a an exception...kinda reminds of the Perth bootleg I like so much...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 8, 2012 05:32

And on the '76 tour they played it in the key of G.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 8, 2012 05:42

palerider22
IMHO one of the great live moments of the band. For me it pretty much defines the Stones as I like them. This performance ranks right up there with Gimme Shelter from Brussels or Midnight Rambler from Ya Ya's. I can't get enough of it...and I'm a Taylorite! When i play it once I end up playing it three times...The opening lick that starts that locomotive guitar and drumbeat beat...Mick just singing like he means it, Keith's backup vocals, the piano, the 'whoooos' at the end...It's been an exhilerating listen for me since it first came out. I never get tired of it...Too bad I have little time for the rest of the album except for the El Mocambo side once in a while...

Yeah!

Yes! I have listened to that song 100 of times and I still love it. The best live version of IORR.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 8, 2012 06:22

I agree, it's one of the best non El Mocambo tracks on Love You Live .

Are you damning with faint praise? smoking smiley

Date: March 8, 2012 06:32

palerider22
Midnight Toker

True that...but IORR...played loud...is a an exception..

Maybe I wasn't playing it LOUD enough? I try again cranked up like its 1979. I liked the record well enough back when but I doubt that record would pass the Stones own quality filters and be released as it was in retrospect. I'd love to hear the original demo Mick, Ronnie and Bowie did in Ronnies home studio. The one that woke Keith up to the song. It is a great tune. peace

Date: March 8, 2012 06:37

The El Mocambo side was so good - and the other three sides so bad in comparison - that I have always wondered why they just didn't release a live album culled entirely from the El Mocambo shows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-08 06:39 by 71Tele.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 8, 2012 08:36

71Tele
The El Mocambo side was so good - and the other three sides so bad in comparison - that I have always wondered why they just didn't release a live album culled entirely from the El Mocambo shows?

I loved LYL when it came out (still do, in an odd way), but I always thought that my bootlegs from the LA Forum in '75 sounded way better--and they were an audience recording. However, a lot of bootlegs are like that.

Date: March 8, 2012 08:57

Wasn't the intro stuffed up, in which Charlie had to turn the beat around? It sure sounds like it to me!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 8, 2012 10:03

Sides one and two aren't very good. Side three is pretty good, side four is... okay, I don't know. Still better than the first disc/side/piece o' vinyl.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 10:34

I maybe in a minority here but I prefer IORR from LYL over the original.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 8, 2012 10:40

..mmm pretty good 4/5 for Bills and Charlies beat but where is them licks that build the whole song for my ears? you find them 0:33, 0:35, 0:43 and 0:48 at this original video...must be a work from Mick Taylors magic hands...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: March 8, 2012 11:33

I agree with palerider22.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 12:51

LYL is something of a paradox for me. True, it's one of the sloppiest live albums ever, Mick's vocals are far from his best live work, but I still enjoy it quite a lot. It has high energy and rocks despite all the aforementioned issues. I hated Hot Stuff when B&B first came out but the LYL version smokes with hot soul and funk. It captures that phase of the Stones and is somehow great in it's own perverse way.

Date: March 8, 2012 13:03

Gold Coast Slave Ship
Wasn't the intro stuffed up, in which Charlie had to turn the beat around? It sure sounds like it to me!

me too bro. Yeah Come On you got it right too , the studio version has important elements quite missing from the live recording.

There are some brand new interesting Stones videos on YouTube posted by RollStoneYP, worth checkin out! peace

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 8, 2012 13:04

Yes absolutely fantastic delivery of the song. It smokes from lick one till the end and makes you wanna hear it again and again....

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 8, 2012 13:39

Sorry, one of the weakest live moments of the Stones at all, no inspiration, boring, out of tune, out of rhythm, bad vocals, a tinkling piano, just a lousy performance, a ridiculous sound quality, the magic moments of the song from IORR are completely thrown away. I like the versions in 89/90.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 8, 2012 14:11

Still to this day I can't believe how people can slag off Love You Live.

The Zemaitis sounds, the Watts/Brown combo, 4 El Mocambo, a haunting You Gotta Move and of course this BEAUTIFUL version of IORR makes it the best live album they ever released. Only fault is that Midnite Rambler ain't on it, but this probably casue it was on Ya-Yas. Oh and Hand Of Fate should've been on it.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 8, 2012 14:32

i love this version too........ron wood 1st released live version.....would love to hear the rest of toronto1975

Date: March 8, 2012 14:34

The first verse of LYL' IORR sounds like Charlie is on some kind of off-beat! Just before the second verse Charlie swings it back around to a back-beat! Was Keith in a wrong key? Cheers!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 8, 2012 15:40

The LYL version is a masterpiece. It's huge. From the intro riff, to the twist of the beat every second verse (what they start doing between seconds 20 and 30 - one of those subtle things that confirm what is obvious - the Stones are a great band!) the chorus, the interplay, the final crescendo, and on and on. When they open on the F / E chord right before the solo ... The solo ...

C

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 8, 2012 16:02

The best song on LYL. But IORR sounds so different from the rest. It has always puzzled me. The sound, it's just strange. A Fremdkörper. Overdubs or something? It just doesn't sound really live to me.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 8, 2012 17:13

Fantastic version, really one of the best. and about LYL: I love side 1, 3 and 4, but really don't like side 2, with TD, YGTM, FF and YCAGWYW. TD and FF sound so strange, so clinical and sterile. I never liked YGTM, and YCAGWY is nice but too edited for my taste.

Mathijs

Date: March 8, 2012 17:25

tomk
71Tele

I loved LYL when it came out (still do, in an odd way), but I always thought that my bootlegs from the LA Forum in '75 sounded way better--and they were an audience recording. However, a lot of bootlegs are like that.

Me too! I had those LA 1975 boots and had been to one of the shows. Way better than LYL, imo.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 8, 2012 17:33

I love it..Yes i do!!

But i rather have had a live album from the 75 tour of America
as the Stones sounded much better..

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 8, 2012 17:33

Love the piano on that version.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home