Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Sympathy For The Devil - Get Yer Ya Yas Out
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 16:31

I recall this from the New Orleans Superdome very clearly in 1989. I was on the last row - dead center - at the top of the dome. As far away as you could possibly be. I was stunned by Keith's solo - quite the contrast from the sometimes messy 81 show I saw at the same venue 8 years earlier. The 89 tour is much maligned, but I disagree - a great great tour - at least the two shows I saw.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 22, 2012 16:48

No reason to choose.
The original Sympathy on Beggars is fantastic.
YaYa's and Altamont are the best LIVE versions . .

I seem to remember that the not including had to do with Klein at that time.
Maybe this has changed.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 17:52

His Majesty
Erik_Snow

Duh....if that was your point, nobody here would have disagreed with you.

Erm, in a round about way some have. smiling smiley

My other point that the studio version is the definitive version was already laid out nice and clear. It is the fully integrated reading of the song.

On Ya Ya's the song mostly acts as a mere vehicle to showcase and highlight some nice guitar playing, going by whitem8's last post on page 1 of this thread, successfully so. That's no definitive version of a song though IMO because on Ya Ya's the song and it's full lyrical content and meaning has been chopped up to accommodate said showcase on the LP.

Edited or not, it's a nice variation, nothing more, nothing less. smiling smiley

of course it is a great version for all the good reasons and that is that every band member is on fire ! not so in the studio version.
i guess if you had been there ( and heard all the verses ) you would still have something to moan about , mainly that brian wasnt there .

incredible !

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 22, 2012 18:19

Brian is not really on the studio version and I don't moan about that. If the half hearted strummed acoustic part seen in One Plus One is all he had to offer they chose right in not including it.

Anyway, Brian made up for his absence on the following track on Beggars Banquet.

As for Brian not being there, he left and died, so that was that...

My dislike for what followed is mostly about the style of guitar playing his replacement brought to the band and what it did to the quirky, but original sound The Rolling Stones had developed during 1962 - 1969 which set them apart from others. The introduction of a John Mayall's Bluesbreaker's school of guitar gods lead guitarist to The Rolling Stones made them sound more similar to other blues/rock acts of the time.

It's not really about Brian Jones not being there because he was already not there quite a lot when he was still alive.

smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 18:53 by His Majesty.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 18:36

His Majesty
Brian is not really on the studio version and I don't moan about that. If the half hearted strummed acoustic part seen in One Plus One is all he had to offer they chose right in not including it. >grinning smiley<

Anyway, Brian made up for his absence on the following track on Beggars Banquet. grinning smiley

spot on !
i love brians work on the live shows ( seen on youtube videos etc and that rare stereo recording) but thats right about his accoustic strumming there, at a time when jagger was not known as a guitar player it is heartbreaking to see him showing brian alternative chord shapes.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 22, 2012 18:49

His Majesty
[...]
That's no definitive version of a song though IMO because on Ya Ya's the song and it's full lyrical content and meaning has been chopped up to accommodate said showcase on the LP.

Edited or not, it's a nice variation, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 17:19 by His Majesty.

With all respect His Majesty....you expect me to even consider a 5-times-edited and chopped up piece of writing as being "a post" ?

Date: February 22, 2012 18:50

There's supposed to be a "funny face" in the post above, but I don't use smileys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 18:51 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: February 22, 2012 18:54

stonesdan60
This has been my favorite version of Sympathy ever since Ya Yas was released. I couldn't care less that a verse was edited out. The way they transformed the album version into a guitar driven rocker is brilliant. Keith's partial-chord licks during the intro and verses are sublime. The whole band just cooks. And the way Keith solos and the breaks it down and tosses it to Mick Taylor to finish is some of the most gripping moments of rock ever recorded. Perhaps my favorite Keith solo of all time, simple as it is. It smokes with attitude!

Yes indeed. That's all there is to it.

Posted by: pmk251 ()

Image-wise and music-wise SFTD is the is the most fascinating song of that tour. The arrangement was adapted to the new guitar skills of the band. And the evolution of the arrangement coincides with changing dynamics of the band. It is thrilling to witness it right before your ears as the band traveled west to east. With one curious exception the song started as a strictly Taylor-rhythm, Keith lead vehicle. But when the band arrived in Detroit Taylor's solo was scripted in and you feel the band's surge of inspiration as it follows the 2nd solo. If Keith's solo presents a primodial Lucifer, Taylor's presents the Prince of Darkness in all his splendor, majestic and beguilingly playful. The brilliant Ya-Ya's performance presents a new song and a new band. To paraphrase Iggy Pop, it is an audacious performance.

BTW: Keith's pre-Taylor solo performance on 11/8, 2nd is wonderful.

I believe Chris M (of the RS site) restored the missing verse with a patch that is very well done. After the release of the deluxe Ya-Ya's I used his restored version of SFTD when assembling the full chronological show. As I recall his analysis of the Ya-Ya's performance does not mention any guitar over-dubs.

Erik_Snow
His Majesty
[...]
That's no definitive version of a song though IMO because on Ya Ya's the song and it's full lyrical content and meaning has been chopped up to accommodate said showcase on the LP.

Edited or not, it's a nice variation, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 17:19 by His Majesty.

With all respect His Majesty....you expect me to even consider a 5-times-edited and chopped up piece of writing as being "a post" ?

I'm on an iPad and typing on this thing is a chore and I don't expect anything from you. smiling smiley

Date: February 22, 2012 19:01

His Majesty
Erik_Snow

I'm on an iPad and typing on this thing is a chore and I don't expect anything from you. smiling smiley

I just couldn't help myself from taking that cheap shot...no offense to your ipad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 19:05 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 22, 2012 19:32

His Majesty

My dislike for what followed is mostly about the style of guitar playing his replacement brought to the band and what it did to the quirky, but original sound The Rolling Stones had developed during 1962 - 1969 which set them apart from others. The introduction of a John Mayall's Bluesbreaker's school of guitar gods lead guitarist to The Rolling Stones made them sound more similar to other blues/rock acts of the time.

HM, you are of course entitled to dislike the Taylor era Stones and Mick Taylor's input in particular. But while he was in the Stones, he certainly didn't act like a guitar god at all. That's a far spread myth. On the studio albums his soloing is very modest. As for his live contribution: the prove is in comparing the Texas 1978 DVD with the live versions of the songs during Taylor's tenure. The funny thing is that Wood does solo on Live in Texas 1978 about as much as Taylor does on the official Brussels Affair. But no one seems to have noticed that. The cliché 'Taylor the Stones' noodling guitar god' is plain nonsense. He is no guitar god in the first place (so many guitarists are 'faster' and technically better), and secondly his licks and counterlicks are just as important as his solos. Surprise, Surprise: Ronnie Wood is soloing just as much as Mick Taylor does on those similar songs. The big difference: he did it not so good, to say it mildly. In that sense Taylor was indeed a 'guitar god'. But not in the usual sense of the word.

The Stones evolved from 1962 until 1974, GHS being their last great 'original' album, IORR being more like a status quo album. After IORR the Stones generally changed into a trendy band, following the popular musical trends of the time: punk, disco, reggae etc. That's one of the most important reasons people who got into the Stones at that time are so fond of that version of the band: they still recognize the sound of their time. Ask Doxa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 19:55 by kleermaker.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 22, 2012 19:44

Best live version of Devil is the Love you Live version. No discussion. Ya Ya's version is absolutely great, but suffers a little for being so early in the setlist. That said, NO live version ever reproduced that wild crescendo of the studio version. I agree with HM, the studio version is the best, but the 75 live version is a close competitor! From 89 onwards (inlcuded) the song bacame my piss break song ---

C

Date: February 22, 2012 19:58

liddas
No discussion.

C

Well, let's then close this thread then.

Date: February 22, 2012 19:59

kleermaker

HM, you are of course entitled to dislike the Taylor era Stones and Mick Taylor's input in particular. But while he was in the Stones, he certainly didn't act like a guitar god at all. That's a far spread myth. On the studio albums his soloing is very modest. As for his live contribution: the prove is in comparing the Texas 1978 DVD with the live versions of the songs during Taylor's tenure. The funny thing is that Wood does solo on Live in Texas 1978 about as much as Taylor does on the official Brussels Affair. But no one seems to have noticed that. The cliché 'Taylor the Stones' noodling guitar god' is plain nonsense. He is no guitar god in the first place (so many guitarists are 'faster' and technically better), and secondly his licks and counterlicks are just as important as his solos. Surprise, Surprise: Ronnie Wood is soloing just as much as Mick Taylor does on those similar songs. The big difference: he did it not so good, to say it mildly. In that sense Taylor was indeed a 'guitar god'. But not in the usual sense of the word.

The Stones evolved from 1962 until 1974, GHS being their last great 'original' album, IORR being more like a status quo album. After IORR the Stones generally changed into a trendy band, following the popular musical trends of the time: punk, disco, reggae etc. That's one of the most important reasons people who got into the Stones at that time are so fond of that version of the band: they still recognize the sound of their time. Ask Doxa.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 22, 2012 20:05

The version on Ya-Ya's is VERY good. It also is one of the few songs that sounds fully 'live' on Ya'Ya's. I'm not a huge fan of Ya-Ya's as a whole since as far as the vocals go, it's a sham (sorry, if you can't use the original live vocals on a "live" album - don't release it and don't DARE call it "live". Cheating plain and simple).

I prefer this version to Ya-Ya's for three reasons...

1. Nicky Hopkins made the studio song, it's NOT a guitar song!
2. The dynamics here are better; tension and build-up of the song are here not on Ya-Ya's, I'll take that over Mick T's (admittedly awesome) solo.
3. It's actually the whole song, not 3/4 of it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the only official live version which actually has the whole song in it. Four verses, not three. Whether it's an edit or the band omitting a verse on their own, it's still not the whole song without all 4 verses.

Ya-Ya's - verses 1, 2, 3
Love You Live - verses 1, 2, 4
Flashpoint - verses 1, 2, 4
Rock and Roll Circus - verses 1, 2, 3, 4
Shine a Light - verses 1, 2, 4

I do remember seeing them in Montreal, December '94. They replaced Monkey Man with Sympathy, and did all 4 verses. May have been the last time they've done so?

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 20:14 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 22, 2012 21:09

whitem8
In your opinion. But the version on GYYYO is pure bliss. The guitar dueling is in credible, and I for one don't even notice the edit. Why, because it is all just so sublime. I haven't heard a better version yet.

thumbs up Every note is perfect. If it was edited, then this is one instance where the editing made it even better.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 22, 2012 21:14

Erik_Snow
MCDDTLC
Hey Guys,

The Maysles Bros. DO have SFTD on film!!! they have shown the complete concert
a couple of times for selected audiences and one of them said he is trying to get the Stones to allow release of the film... Keep your fingers crossed!!!

MLC

So what change have taken place since the 2008 screening ? :
In 2008, this was posted

Date: January 7, 2008 19:15
Damn!!! The folks over at Mayles org. are saying: NO plans on releasing this
extra footage they have... One shot deal from the other night.

Eric - I thought I remember reading a quote from the Mayles dude in a Q&A after
the screening that he want's to release the entire concert and was in discussion
with the Stones but hasn't received a go-ahead so that's why there are "No Plans"
On-hold until the Stones agree to release, whenever or if-ever..

MLC

Date: February 22, 2012 21:28

MCDDTLC
Erik_Snow
MCDDTLC
Hey Guys,

a couple of times for selected audiences and one of them said he is trying to get the Stones to allow release of the film... Keep your fingers crossed!!!

MLC

In 2008, this was posted

the screening that he want's to release the entire concert and was in discussion
with the Stones but hasn't received a go-ahead so that's why there are "No Plans"

MLC

Thanks, MLC.
Allthough the chances might have run out for SFTD footage to see the light of day, since the 40th anniversary edition of GYYYO allready been released. But...never say never

Date: February 22, 2012 21:38

His Majesty
kleermaker

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upgrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye rolling smiley

Date: February 22, 2012 21:43

jamesfdouglas
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the only official live version which actually has the whole song in it.

It's funny you say that. Isn't the Love You Live and Flashpoint versions all four verses?

Date: February 22, 2012 21:48

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
jamesfdouglas
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the only official live version which actually has the whole song in it.

It's funny you say that. Isn't the Love You Live and Flashpoint versions all four verses?

Nope, neither Love You Live nor Flashpoint have the 3rd verse "I watched with glee while your kings and queens...".

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 22, 2012 21:52

jamesfdouglas
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
jamesfdouglas

Nope, neither Love You Live nor Flashpoint have the 3rd verse "I watched with glee while your kings and queens...".

REALLY! Wow. I guess I've never noticed! Not sure why I thought that. I thought it was only the Ya-Ya's version that was edited. Maybe it's from hearing the song so many times that it's just one of those things.

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: February 22, 2012 23:18

I got a CD a long time ago called 'From the Vaults' or something like that and it has a fantastic soundboard recording of Sympathy from Paris 1970. The problem is that it fades out just after Keith's solo starts, so it's like that feeling when your having sex and just when your about to get to the big moment, it fizzles out for some reason. (Not that it's ever happened to me, but I've heard about it.)

Date: February 22, 2012 23:29

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
jamesfdouglas
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
jamesfdouglas

REALLY! Wow. I guess I've never noticed! Not sure why I thought that. I thought it was only the Ya-Ya's version that was edited. Maybe it's from hearing the song so many times that it's just one of those things.

Well somethimes it's not an edit for the live album, some tours they only played 3 verses in it to begin with. Of the 6 shows I've seen, they played Sympathy at 5 of them. And of those 5, they only played all 4 verses in December '94 (Montreal).

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 22, 2012 23:29

(duplicate post - keeps doing this!)

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 00:18 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 22, 2012 23:55

love you live version is a mess!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 23, 2012 00:11

absolutely mesmerizing!.........easy to get "lost" in that version. the Richards-Taylor guitar work is goosebump city.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 23, 2012 00:20

Erik_Snow
MCDDTLC
Erik_Snow
MCDDTLC
Hey Guys,

MLC

In 2008, this was posted

MLC

Thanks, MLC.
Allthough the chances might have run out for SFTD footage to see the light of day, since the 40th anniversary edition of GYYYO allready been released. But...never say never

Eric - I think there is a good chance that this concert might someday get
released! Stones know that this is there "Golden Age" it will SELL!!
a complete Video concert from 1969, it's already put together..

Let's hope! - MLC

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 23, 2012 00:49

kleermaker
His Majesty

I think the Stones always changed their guitarplayer at absolutely the right time, - whatever the original reason was.

I can't really imagine the band in 69-73 (progressiv rock days) with Brian on stage, - as much as I was shocked by his departure/dead back in 69.
But Taylor was the right choice at times you just had to have someone who could take a solid solo.
Same with Wood.The change from Taylor to him while Punk was already lurking around next corner came at the perfect time again.
Who's next . . ?!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home