Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Have you seen the Stones in live performance?
Posted by: melvin ()
Date: February 22, 2012 03:30

I missed the late 70s shows because the concerts sold out so fast. I missed the early 90s shows because it was too much of a hassle going to the football arena to see them.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 22, 2012 03:58

Cocaine Eyes
If only I could find the list when we were asked this before....but, here goes:

1972 - Toronto
1975 - Toronto
1978 - Buffalo (Keith wasn't allowed to enter Canada)
1979 - Oshawa (Keith's sentencing gig)
1980 - Buffalo (KR still not able to enter Canada)
1989 - Toronto
1994 - Toronto (AND rehearsal gig at RPM)
1997 - Toronto (AND at The Horseshoe Tavern)...do I have the right year? It's all starting to beome one huge concert!smoking smiley
2002 - Toronto (AND rehearsal gig at Palais Royale)
2006 - Toronto (AND rehearsal gig at The Phoenix Theatre)

It seems like I've messed up the years, but you guys know what I mean here. ALSO, in 1976, I had the pleasure of meeting the band for the first time in their offices in NYC. hot smiley

Oh, and let's not forget the Winos gig in Toronto in 1992....but that wasn't the question!

AND - from 1989 onwards I had FRONT ROWS courtesy of Keith! grinning smiley

THAT'S impressive!
Without Cohl though I think their days of Canadian summers are over. Guess Dan Akroyd's cottage will be a bit less exciting, eh?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2012 08:30

Vancouver '89 both nights
Vancouver '94
LA '97
Vancouver '98
Toronto 2005
Vancouver 2006 - the last North American date evah!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2012 13:50

1965 newark symphony hall
1969 detroit, called the olympia i think
1972 MSG, the afternoon show, the one bianca said the building was shaking so
much they were afraid it might come down
1975 minneapolis or st.paul
1978 passaic theatre show, free tik by luck, and philly
1981 brendan byrne arena, if thats what it was called then, free tik from keith's shrink
1989 shea stadium
1994 giants stadium once, philly twice, chicago twice
1997 philly, hand slaps from keith, charlie, and ronnie
1999 philly front row center $90, best seat in the house available to the public,
even got my mug up on the big screen
1999 dont really remember the year, the MTV 10-spot show, snuck in, right up front
2002 melbourne, and sydney theatre show, pressed up against stage, hand slap
from mick, completing my collection

WOW that's a pretty good list there superrevvy ....
How old were you at that first 1965 show ?....Can you remember much about that first show???

ROCKMAN

Date: February 23, 2012 06:48

1965 newark symphony hall
How old were you at that first 1965 show ?....Can you remember much about that first show???

Come on superrevvy while your around please tell us
what you remember about this show ...how'd ya get in ..how were the Stones etc

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 09:17 by Rockman.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:18

1989 - L.A. Coliseum
1994 - Rose Bowl
1997 - Dodger Stadium
1999 - The Pond - Anaheim (finally indoors!)
2002 - The Wiltern
2002 - Edison Field (aka Anaheim Stadium)
2003 - Staples Center
2006 - L.A. Forum

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:29

It's rather like asking if you have jerked off before at the Bukake Forum?

Sorry, I've been drinking again.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:59

deadegad

That's pretty funny...You should drink more often. smoking smiley

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 23, 2012 08:27

71Tele
deadegad

That's pretty funny...You should drink more often. smoking smiley

As you so often are, you're right, I'll take you up on that!

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:01

Rockman

my memories are fragmentary from newark symphony hall. and useless historically. i was 14 and for
the first time took two bottles of romilar cf (cough medicine), instead of the usual one, and was hallucinating
a little. my first hallucinations (cue bruce: ahhhhh, growing up). i remember the pavement outside looked like a rug
and the rug inside looked like pavement. i remember being lost in the hallway trying to find my friend and my
seat, who had given me the ticket because he wouldn't let his mom go with him. she'd bought the
tickets. i wouldn't have gone except for the free ticket. music shows were something girls went to, is what i
thought. i liked going to dances, at the local american legion hall, and getting to slow dance, close, too.

at newark, i remember puking in the bathroom and staring at myself in the toilet water. i remember from
my seat in back in the balcony it was all echo and girls screaming and ridiculously far away and tiny,
even though by current standards it could have counted as a theatre show. so i went in thinking rock and
roll shows were a waste of money, when you could just see them on tv. and came out thinking the same.

and you'd think by 69 i would have done better, but i still didnt believe in rock shows. though i still believed
quite firmly in drugs. took soapers (qualudes) to the point of memory loss. it was like deja vu, except with
long hair. again up in the back. again all echoes, but with more notes and no screams. again puking in
the bathroom. i think i knew who mick taylor was at that point, because i had a guitarist friend with
the mayall album, but i don't think i cared that much about seeing him. or the stones for that matter. just
something to do, because concerts sucked, because you really couldnt really hear or see that good,
and when you could hear, it was never as good as on the record.

thankfully by 1972 i had smartened up about drugs. i took mescaline. still seated kinda up and in the back,
but as the madness engulfed me, as taylor's flights of finger lifted me up higher, and mick and keith drove
it home, and i found myself jumping up and down in time with twenty thousand others, screaming my lungs
out, i remember thinking, "oh, so this is what rock and roll is all about."

unfortunately, as great as some of the stones shows and other shows i've seen since have been, nothing
could ever equal 1972 MSG. so nothing has really changed. i'm still way more a record guy than a shows
guy. still think the shows are not really worth big money. to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 14:19 by superrevvy.

Date: February 23, 2012 14:10

WILD -- Thanks man .... interesting last couple of sentences...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:21

superrevvy
Rockman

my memories are fragmentary from newark symphony hall. and useless historically. i was 14 and for
the first time took two bottles of romilar cf (cough medicine), instead of the usual one, and was hallucinating
a little. my first hallucinations (cue bruce: ahhhhh, growing up). i remember the pavement outside looked like a rug
and the rug inside looked like pavement. i remember being lost in the hallway trying to find my friend and my
seat, who had given me the ticket because he wouldn't let his mom go with him. she'd bought the
tickets. i wouldn't have gone except for the free ticket. music shows were something girls went to, is what i
thought. i liked going to dances, at the local american legion hall, and getting to slow dance, close, too.

at newark, i remember puking in the bathroom and staring at myself in the toilet water. i remember from
my seat in back in the balcony it was all echo and girls screaming and ridiculously far away and tiny,
even though by current standards it could have counted as a theatre show. so i went in thinking rock and
roll shows were a waste of money, when you could just see them on tv. and came out thinking the same.

and you'd think by 69 i would have done better, but i still didnt believe in rock shows. though i still believed
quite firmly in drugs. took soapers (qualudes) to the point of memory loss. it was like deja vu, except with
long hair. again up in the back. again all echoes, but with more notes and no screams. again puking in
the bathroom. i think i knew who mick taylor was at that point, because i had a guitarist friend with
the mayall album, but i don't think i cared that much about seeing him. or the stones for that matter. just
something to do, because concerts sucked, because you really couldnt really hear or see that good,
and when you could hear, it was never as good as on the record.

thankfully by 1972 i had smartened up about drugs. i took mescaline. still seated kinda up and in the back,
but as the madness engulfed me, as taylor's flights of finger lifted me up higher, and mick and keith drove
it home, and i found myself jumping up and down in time with twenty thousand others, screaming my lungs

unfortunately, as great as some of the stones shows and other shows i've seen since have been, nothing
could ever equal 1972 MSG. so nothing has really changed. i'm still way more a record guy than a shows
guy. still think the shows are not really worth big money. to me.

Damn, one of the best posts ever in this forum. An instant classic.

- Doxa

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:44

His Majesty
After an initial rush of excitement, I found myself getting bored as the night went on, I just didn't feel any real connection to what I was hearing or seeing.

The truth is that stadium gigs are a rubbish experience unless you are within 50 feet of the stage.

I hate them with a passion.

But hey, how else are the bands supposed to support their expensive life styles?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:51

GravityBoy
His Majesty
After an initial rush of excitement, I found myself getting bored as the night went on, I just didn't feel any real connection to what I was hearing or seeing.

The truth is that stadium gigs are a rubbish experience unless you are within 50 feet of the stage.

true stuff. i was not "feeling it" one night in oakland and i couldn't understand why. so, i got out my trusty tape-measure (no true fan leaves home without one) and...sure enough....50 feet, six inches. i slipped the guy in front of me a fiver and traded places...and had the time of my life thereafter.

a lesson to you kiddies out there....don't forget the tape-measure!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 14:51 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:57

Good story superrevvy. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 23, 2012 21:37

Cocaine Eyes

1972 - Toronto
1975 - Toronto
1989 - Toronto
1997 - Toronto (AND at The Horseshoe Tavern)...do I have the right year? It's all starting to beome one huge concert!smoking smiley

It seems like I've messed up the years, but you guys know what I mean here. ALSO, in 1976, I had the pleasure of meeting the band for the first time in their offices in NYC. hot smiley

Oh, and let's not forget the Winos gig in Toronto in 1992....but that wasn't the question!

AND - from 1989 onwards I had FRONT ROWS courtesy of Keith! grinning smiley

Dang CE, I knew you were cool, but WOW!!!! you are really cool. Nice list,
esp the part where Kieth is putting you in the front rows.... that is AWESOME!!! Somehow Toronto has been my Stones hom away from home..... This one time my friend from up there, in the great white north, grabbed 4 front row seats to the Stones show at Skydome and shared with us (I think it was 94.... the show where the Spin Doctors opened)... that was the only time at a Stones show when I started in the front row.... I made it up there several times towards the end of some shows... but that was the only time I started there....

anyway... really really nice Stones show list, props to you.smileys with beer

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:27

Cocaine Eyes

1972 - Toronto
1975 - Toronto
1989 - Toronto

There was no show in Buffalo in 1980 (at least not that I'm aware of) do you mean 1981?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:31

stonesrule
To answer The Sicilian's question, I first saw The Rolling Stones at their first concert at Royal Albert Hall in 1966. I was young and innocent. But not for long.

Don't understand your query about Jimi.

I meant did you and Jimi ever attend any live shows of any other bands as spectators or guests?

Posted by: murf3901 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:52

99 anaheim night 2
99 mgm grand
02 staples LA
02 anaheim stadium
02 wiltern
02 mgm grand
03 mgm grand
05 anaheim stadium
05 hollywood bowl night 1
06 LA forum
06 mgm grand
06 dodger stadium

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 24, 2012 03:41

Doxa
superrevvy

very nice of you, thanks. MSG72 from my vantage point, you could see the circle
of madness slowly spreading from the stage towards you, just like a liquid
spill, except it wasnt bound by gravity, moving row by row up the sides of
the arena too, until whamo, you were completely out of your mind as well...

now for me this was the coolest mass thing i had ever seen or been a part of,
by far, even better than taking over streets and being chased by cops
protesting vietnam. but at least a couple people didnt take it so well.
i read that woody allen walked out of this show because he thought it was
literally insanity that he was witnessing. and my friend jimmy mac, also on
mescaline with about twelve others of us, never really recovered. he thought it
was pure evil what he saw. he said it was a @#$%& rally.

from that day forward, he slid steadily downhill, until he offed himself a
few years later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 03:44 by superrevvy.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 24, 2012 03:50

superrevvy
Doxa
superrevvy

very nice of you, thanks. MSG72 from my vantage point, you could see the circle
of madness slowly spreading from the stage towards you, just like a liquid
spill, except it wasnt bound by gravity, moving row by row up the sides of
the arena too, until whamo, you were completely out of your mind as well...

now for me this was the coolest mass thing i had ever seen or been a part of,
by far, even better than taking over streets and being chased by cops
protesting vietnam. but at least a couple people didnt take it so well.
i read that woody allen walked out of this show because he thought it was
literally insanity that he was witnessing. and my friend jimmy mac, also on
mescaline with about twelve others of us, never really recovered. he thought it
was pure evil what he saw. he said it was a @#$%& rally.

from that day forward, he slid steadily downhill, until he offed himself a
few years later.

That's weird...the Jewish Chronicle in London in 1976 said something similar....they said the Earl's Court shows (I went to the first night) were like a vision of Dante's Inferno....takes all sorts I suppose....I don't know what they were on about, I thoroughly enjoyed it and dreamt the whole thing over in technicolour when I finally got to sleep..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 03:54 by EddieByword.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 8, 2012 10:10

memphiscats
Toronto in the 70s...

importing what you said in another thread:

memphiscats
RS in 70s...I saw them with my father! He was with Paramount Pictures - he handled their sales & advertising
tying into some big Canadian companies - so we got comped a lot of tickets. SADLY I didn't really appreciate the Stones then ...
usually my brothers were beneficiaries of most of the shows ... but that year they were out of town.
(Somewhere in my trunks is a Free Keith T=shirt smiling smiley)

ahhhh so! by "Toronto in the 70s" i thought you meant 72 and/or 75, but now it sounds like ...
were you at the El Mocambo gig(s) in 77?! eye popping smiley or the CNIB benefit show(s) in Oshawa in 79, with the New Barbarians?? eye popping smiley
or ... [scratching head] maybe you mean it was your brother's Free Keith tshirt? LoFL, i am so easily confused! :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-08 11:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: March 8, 2012 10:26

76 Vienna
82 Rotterdam
82 Munich (both shows)
90 Torino (tickets both shows, but the 2nd never happened)
90 Vienna
90 Munich
90 Praha
94 New Jersey (2nd and 3rd show)
95 Rio de Janeiro (both shows)
95 Basel (both shows)
95 Munich (2 shows? can't remember)
95 Zeltweg
95 Budapest
95 Praha
95 Paris (both outdoor shwos)
98 Wr. Neustadt
98 Munich
98 Amsterdam (all 5 shows)
98 Hamburg
98 Praha
99 Imst
99 Stuttgart
99 Landgraf
99 Cologne
03 Munich (Olympiahalle + Circus Krone)
03 Praha
03 Vienna
06 Vienna
06 Stuttgart
06 Munich
07 Budapest
07 Brno
07 London (the last one)

Winos: Rotterdam and Cologne 1992

Maybe I forgot a few shows but it's hard to remember after all those years.

The best shows I've been to were Basel 95 II, Rio de Janeiro 1 (for the exceptionally audience alone) and Brno 2007.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: March 8, 2012 12:21

1976 Stuttgart
1982 Hannover both shows
1982 Munich both shows
1982 London Wembley both shows
1982 Frankfurt all three shows
1982 Cologne both shows
1982 Basel
1990 Munich both shows
1990 Basel
1990 Vienna
1995 Basel both shows
1997 Stuttgart
2003 Munich 2 shows
2003 Hockenheim
2003 Stockholm all 3 shows
2003 Rotterdam Ahoy
2003 London Twickenham/Astoria/Wembley
2003 Zürich
2005 Calgary
2005 Seattle
2005 Portland
2005 LA
2005 Hollywood Bowl Both shows
2005 San Diego
2006 Milan
2006 Munich
2006 Stuttgart
2006 Duebendorf
2006 Londeon Twickenham both shows
2006 Glasgow
2006 Sheffield
2007 Frankfurt
2007 Rome
2007 Budapest
2007 Brno
2007 Lausanne
2007 Düsseldorf
2007 Hamburg
2007 London 02 all three shows
200.... I thought it would be continued, but....

and i might have forgotten some of the places I've been to.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: March 8, 2012 18:30

Buffalo 81
Detroit 81
Syracuse 81
Vancouver 89
Vancouver 94
Winnipeg 94
Toronto 94
Seattle 97
Vancouver 98
Toronto 02
Seattle 05
Calgary 05
Vancouver 06

Others I can think of at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-08 18:32 by tipps.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home