Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Have you seen the Stones in live performance?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:08

If you've seen the Stones live it would be interesting to know date and place.

Re: Have you seen the Stones in live performance?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:17

has anybody here seen the rolling stones live? can you tell me where they've gone? they've pleased alot of people but it seems that was when they were young...i just look around and they're gone....or something.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:29

I've only seen them once, at Wembley Stadium during the Voodoo Lounge tour. It was my first stones gig and my first stadium gig experience.

The Black Crowes were support, but left the stage after 4 or so songs when the rain started which was a pity because they sounded excellent!

The Rolling Stones...

After an initial rush of excitement, I found myself getting bored as the night went on, I just didn't feel any real connection to what I was hearing or seeing. It all seemed so impersonal or maybe I was tired from travelling dwon Aberdeen!? I decided after that stadium gigs aren't for me and I haven't been to or intend to go to another.

Over all, it was a nice experience to go to London for a Rolling Stones day... ate at Sticky Fingers and saw The Rolling Stones play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 02:36 by His Majesty.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 20, 2012 03:20

1978 - JFK Stadium, Philadelphia PA - First Stones show at age 18! Not as great as other shows I would see but still exciting and fun. The pre-screens era. Saw them from half a stadium away like little ants.
1981 - Same venue. First show of the '81 Tour, infamous for screw ups and mistakes but still a lot of fun. Right up front of the stage for this one.
1989 - Shea Stadium, NYC. A great show. Very different now with spectacular staging and lighting but not thrilled with the backup singers, horns, etc. But it was still a great show. Fairly close seats. 19th row, front and center.
2002 - Giants Stadium, NJ - Great show although we had seats at the farthest end of the stadium, highest row. Thank God for screens.
2005- Same venue. Seats on Keith's side, very close. Perhaps the best Stones show I'd ever been to. The sound was LOUD and perfectly mixed and Keith was on fire!
2006 - Same venue but as in 2002, seats at the farthest end, but the sound was great and it was a really good show. Very different set list from the other BB show I saw. Thrilled to hear MR for the first time since 1989. Also thrilled to hear Sway for the first time ever. I was a little nervous as I had read a lot of bad reviews about Keith after his injury but he was in fine form at this gig.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 20, 2012 03:28

Didn't we discussed this before......................?

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 20, 2012 04:10

Is this a joke?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 20, 2012 04:44

A good starting point would be for you to list your live shows first. I'm curious to see your list myself. I know it is long. Have you ever attended any live shows of other bands with Jimi?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 20, 2012 04:48

who?

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:20

I got 5th row in '89, could see MJ's veins. Saw him look at me and everyone in the first few rows. Charlie was magnificent. The tempo grew to SFM where you could see Keith giving everything he had. This was for real, no act. I'm sure they've done that 1000's of times throughout their career. It was really special. When you're that close you see the intensity the bring. Think I blinked once the whole show.

Can anyone who saw them close up in '73 chime in? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 05:28 by paulm.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:26

atip
Is this a joke?

No. IORR is the joke.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:34

His Majesty
I've only seen them once, at Wembley Stadium during the Voodoo Lounge tour. It was my first stones gig and my first stadium gig experience.

The Black Crowes were support, but left the stage after 4 or so songs when the rain started which was a pity because they sounded excellent!

The Rolling Stones...

After an initial rush of excitement, I found myself getting bored as the night went on, I just didn't feel any real connection to what I was hearing or seeing. It all seemed so impersonal or maybe I was tired from travelling dwon Aberdeen!? I decided after that stadium gigs aren't for me and I haven't been to or intend to go to another.

Over all, it was a nice experience to go to London for a Rolling Stones day... ate at Sticky Fingers and saw The Rolling Stones play.

Boy, do I agree, His Majesty, as you note Led Zep would've provided a much less boring but more satisfying experience. But wait, you only first saw the Stones in 1994-95? Oh, well, nevermind... Yeah, it's not a fair comparison then....

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:39

I have only seen the Rolling Stones 2 times Voodoo Lounge concert in Brisbane,and the Sunday night concert In HongKong Licks Tour.Both shows were very good.I would loved to have seen them durung the 70s or early 80s.
I hope they will come to China again but i really dont think that will happen.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:33

Toronto in the 70s...
But the show that stands out was 1997 mainly because I was 7 months pregnant and I was lucky enough to have a friend who oversaw a VIP box. That show was in Foxboro, MA. In addition to the box, we had 10th row seats - I couldn't go into the crowd due to my condition - but my husband had a blast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 06:46 by memphiscats.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 20, 2012 08:23

Yes. They're a remarkably unenergetic lot. Everyone stands still and stares at the floor, while the light show goes on all around them.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:04

Stuutgart, Neckarstadion, 1976 - great show, my first big concert, but sometimes sloppy singing, no pre-Beggars songs except for Get off of my cloud. But they still were legends.

Munich, Olympiastadion, 1982 - this was the best RS concert I attended. They were still legends, but they really played very good and had a great repertoire. Great sound, too. And we were not far from the stage, with seats on the right side so you could see everything very well. I do not understand any critzism of the 1982 tour, it was the 1980s Rolling Stones at their peak.

Same venue, 1990 - No good seats, far away from the stage, a perfect show highlighted by their choreography of 2000 lightyears but the spirit was sacrificed to perfection. It was rather like an opera.

Stuttgart, Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion [former Neckarstadion], 2006 - Bad seats, the show was very energetic, but basicall a greatest hits runthrough. They only played fast songs, and I missed the touching moments during a ballad. But Jagger's physical fitness was stunning when he ran around to 'Satisfaction' after two hours. Nevertheless I have no doubt that they do everything to display a perfect show.

Date: February 20, 2012 10:26

Oslo 1990, first show
Oslo 1995
Oslo 1998
Stockholm Stadium 2003
Bergen 2006
Oslo 2007

All shows were great, except the Licks show in Stockholm, which I found a boring greatest hits show. However, they played Mannish Boy and Respectable, but the sound from the B-stage was drowned in echo where we were standing, so I didn't get to enjoy those songs.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:30

I was at the same gig as His Majesty, and right up front, having got to Wembley at 12:00 Noon that day.

I also saw one show at Wembley on the Urban Jungle tour: I can remember an excellent I Just Want To Make Love to You, and a rather theatrical attempt at 2,000 Light Years From Home.

All told: I preferred the Voodoo Lounge tour to Urban Jungle.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:35

You can find my list HERE

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:41

Knebworth 76
Edinburgh 82
Wembley 82
Glasgow 90
Manchester 90
Wembley 95
Edinburgh 99
Glasgow 03 [Two shows]
Twickenham 03
Glasgow 06

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:43

....Live? ... My oath ... I was amovin' and agroovin' all night long ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:48

DandelionPowderman
Oslo 1990, first show

You beat me with one day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 11:05 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:51

rocker1
His Majesty

The Rolling Stones...

Boy, do I agree, His Majesty, as you note Led Zep would've provided a much less boring but more satisfying experience. But wait, you only first saw the Stones in 1994-95? Oh, well, nevermind... Yeah, it's not a fair comparison then....

I wasn't born until 1975. grinning smiley

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: February 20, 2012 12:29

If only I could find the list when we were asked this before....but, here goes:

1972 - Toronto
1975 - Toronto
1978 - Buffalo (Keith wasn't allowed to enter Canada)
1979 - Oshawa (Keith's sentencing gig)
1980 - Buffalo (KR still not able to enter Canada)
1989 - Toronto
1994 - Toronto (AND rehearsal gig at RPM)
1997 - Toronto (AND at The Horseshoe Tavern)...do I have the right year? It's all starting to beome one huge concert!smoking smiley
2002 - Toronto (AND rehearsal gig at Palais Royale)
2006 - Toronto (AND rehearsal gig at The Phoenix Theatre)

It seems like I've messed up the years, but you guys know what I mean here. ALSO, in 1976, I had the pleasure of meeting the band for the first time in their offices in NYC. hot smiley

Oh, and let's not forget the Winos gig in Toronto in 1992....but that wasn't the question!

AND - from 1989 onwards I had FRONT ROWS courtesy of Keith! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 12:32 by Cocaine Eyes.

Date: February 20, 2012 12:35

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Oslo 1990, first show

You beat me with one day

grinning smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 20, 2012 15:24

Well, we certainly have discussed this thing before. Let's do it slightly different this time: Who's seen the Stones during the exciting era: from the beginning until 1974?

I was in Rotterdam, 1973, October 13. Only one (evening) show that day. Read my report in English with a Dutch accent here (music included):

[keessiedeg.wordpress.com]

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: February 20, 2012 15:29

Boston, MA USA Nov 1969 1st show
Boston MA USA June 1972
Foxboro MA USA Oct 1997
Boston MA USA March 1999
Boston MA USA Sept 2002

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: February 20, 2012 15:50

I've seen them in Washington DC three time, twice indoors and once outside at the football stadium. The best one was when the Corrs opened for them, they got a standing ovation, they were awsome.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 20, 2012 15:56

Hi Melvin - how come you didn't see them during the mid 70s to the early 90s?

Date: February 20, 2012 16:09

kleermaker
Well, we certainly have discussed this thing before. Let's do it slightly different this time: Who's seen the Stones during the exciting era: from the beginning until 1974?

I was in Rotterdam, 1973, October 13. Only one (evening) show that day. Read my report in English with a Dutch accent here (music included):

[keessiedeg.wordpress.com]

I wish I could have catched the shows back in the Brian and Taylor eras, as well as the club shows on the Licks Tour.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: February 20, 2012 16:12

1964 Coventry
1964 Rugby
1965 Rugby
1966 Birmingham
1969 London Hyde Park
1971 Coventry (2 shows)
1982 London Wembley
1990 London Wembley
1990 Manchester
1995 ? London Wembley
2003 Manchester
2006 Amsterdam (on stage)
2006 Cardiff

If there are any more concerts by the Stones I will not go again.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home