Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT - The Doors
Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: February 2, 2013 17:56

I am a big fan of The Doors. I think that the best record that they ever made was Strange Days... Everyone talks about LA Woman or the debut album, but Strange Days had a magic that the others don't have(IMO). The Soft Parade was great too.. but it lacks in a few songs...I have the complete remixed albums in 5.1... which is great! I only wish that ABCKO would release a similar project...
There are good things to come about The Doors... The Complete Matrix Tapes(from the masters) and a tape from the London Fog(early 66!)
The Hollywood Bowl was a crap... I do not like the performance... but this is the only "complete" live performance that was taped on video. To listen the real live Doors you should listen at the Stockholm tapes, The Felt Forum, and the Detroit 70 concert(which had John Sebastian playing a blowing harmonica on Been Down So Long).

Gotta love The Doors smileys with beer

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 2, 2013 22:43

BJPortugal
I am a big fan of The Doors. I think that the best record that they ever made was Strange Days... Everyone talks about LA Woman or the debut album, but Strange Days had a magic that the others don't have(IMO). The Soft Parade was great too.. but it lacks in a few songs...I have the complete remixed albums in 5.1... which is great! I only wish that ABCKO would release a similar project...
There are good things to come about The Doors... The Complete Matrix Tapes(from the masters) and a tape from the London Fog(early 66!)
The Hollywood Bowl was a crap... I do not like the performance... but this is the only "complete" live performance that was taped on video. To listen the real live Doors you should listen at the Stockholm tapes, The Felt Forum, and the Detroit 70 concert(which had John Sebastian playing a blowing harmonica on Been Down So Long).

Agree 100% thumbs up

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 2, 2013 22:48

the doors were the best band ever.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 2, 2013 22:52

T&A

sounds Phishy to me

Date: February 2, 2013 22:54

Munichhilton
T&A

sounds Phishy to me

phish is also the best band ever....

Date: February 2, 2013 22:58

T&A
Munichhilton
T&A

sounds Phishy to me

sounds Doorsy to me

Date: February 2, 2013 23:00

Munichhilton
T&A
Munichhilton
T&A

sounds Phishy to me

sounds Doorsy to me

there's no discernible difference between the two. that's the problem you're having. they're essentially the same band, only different. four members in each band - that can't just be a coincidence. true...one has knobs and the other has gills, but other than that - they are identical.

Date: February 2, 2013 23:05

T&A
Munichhilton
T&A
Munichhilton
T&A

sounds Phishy to me

sounds Doorsy to me

there's no discernible difference between the two. that's the problem you're having. they're essentially the same band, only different. four members in each band - that can't just be a coincidence. true...one has knobs and the other has gills, but other than that - they are identical.

sounds troubling to me

Date: February 2, 2013 23:28

BJPortugal

i like the hollywood bowl performance.

don't hold your breath for the release of matrix or london fog anytime soon. both releases have been talked about for over a year and yet nothing. its a shame other bands can get the archive stuff out pretty quickly but not the doors. 2012 was called THE YEAR OF THE DOORS and all we got was the 40th anniversay L.A. WOMAN release, the making of L.A. WOMAN dvd and an upgraded HOLLYWOOD BOWL releases on cd/dvd.

Date: February 3, 2013 00:03

keefriffhard4life
BJPortugal

don't hold your breath for the release of matrix or london fog anytime soon. both releases have been talked about for over a year and yet nothing. its a shame other bands can get the archive stuff out pretty quickly but not the doors. 2012 was called THE YEAR OF THE DOORS and all we got was the 40th anniversay L.A. WOMAN release, the making of L.A. WOMAN dvd and an upgraded HOLLYWOOD BOWL releases on cd/dvd.

Indeed. I know. The 2012 "year of the doors" was a shame.Their manager Jeff Jampol is not a name that a hardcore Doors fan like to hear...However, i am average satisfied.. I wish that their have a release police like Jimi Hendrix, but its that we have, and we have pretty good stuff.thumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 3, 2013 00:14

keefriffhard4life
BJPortugal

The Matrix tapes were talked about a while back in another thread. The 2008 double CD combines both performances. Has there been talk about releasing the complete master tapes of both shows? I've heard those tapes belong to the owner of the Matrix, and that the official double CD release was not taken from the master tapes. I'm not familiar with the London Fog recordings, but that would be a great thing to hear. All those releases of their 1970 shows get kind of repetitive, as they didn't have the same fire of their earlier shows and the song lists are the same and the performances a bit lackluster.

Just read on a John Densmore forum that the master tapes are owned by the man who originally taped the shows--Peter Abram. The 2-CD official release was just another bootleg, as it was taken from the cassette tape used as a source for bootlegs. Also, there is an unreleased "Jam" from the March 7 show on the master tapes that does not circulate on bootlegs, so the release of the master tape would mean a "new" song/track for Doors fans, which is all the more reason to anticipate the release. Manzarek and Krieger no doubt want to keep issuing releases for as long as they can, so they'll get around to this at some point.

The wikipedia link below contains 8 audio samples of the master tapes that Danny Sugerman obtained from Peter Abram in 2002.

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Live_at_the_Matrix_1967&oldid=254458087

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-03 00:35 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: February 3, 2013 00:26

My favourite is "The Doors Are Open". Fantastic documentary with brilliant versions of the songs. I first saw this in 1983 and thought it was awesome.

Date: February 3, 2013 00:38

stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
BJPortugal

The Matrix tapes were talked about a while back in another thread. The 2008 double CD combines both performances. Has there been talk about releasing the complete master tapes of both shows? I've heard those tapes belong to the owner of the Matrix, and that the official double CD release was not taken from the master tapes. I'm not familiar with the London Fog recordings, but that would be a great thing to hear. All those releases of their 1970 shows get kind of repetitive, as they didn't have the same fire of their earlier shows and the song lists are the same and the performances a bit lackluster.

The Doors company acquired the master tapes... to the guy who recorded it, named Peter Abram, that was co-ower of the Matrix club at the time(i think). I already hear a few samples and thats way better than the bootleg version, used in the 2008 release.
For the London Fog the information that i had is that they only taped half show.. and the setlist that was recorded is:
Rock Me
Baby, Please Don't Go
You Make Me Real
Feel It
Hoochie Coochie Man
Strange Days
Lucille

The 70's performances had great moments like the Felt Forum Box Set, the Detroit and Philadelphia concert..And these concerts are, imo, at the same level as 67... Morrison was in New York and Detroit 70 in high spirits...Other performances are not too good, but still deliver good ones. The Aquarius performance in 69 are good too. smileys with beer

Date: February 3, 2013 00:48

-felt forum boxset is great. a diverse mix of tunes
-pittsburgh is very tame for a doos performance imo
-vancouver is the most blues sounding doors performance i have ever heard thanks in part to albert king joining in
- boston is morrison at his most drunken but the band is on fire

so does the band not have the entire london fog show?

the matrix release a few years ago was ok by me. i wish the jam was on there. if they re-release the last news a i heard was a limited edition numberd 3 cd set possibly gold pressed discs

Date: February 3, 2013 01:07

Nice story! I was on Laurel Canyon Blvd a few weeks ago and remembered how significant it was to The Doors early years. Jim lived on and off there for awhile, as did one of the other Door members...can't remember who it was. Love Street mentions the Country Store on it and I think Strange Days was written about all the strange people in the area. Keep up with your story-telling. Nice reading them.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 3, 2013 01:15

T&A
Munichhilton
T&A
Munichhilton
T&A

sounds Phishy to me

sounds Doorsy to me

Biggest difference is The Doors have some GREAT songs which people know.

I look forward to seeing this concert, which I posted about here last night, again, from the start. Seeing Morrison doing his thing live, the way he... and the way he.... etc etc.... it was pretty cool. I want to see the whole thing.

Date: February 3, 2013 01:22

Max'sKansasCity

hey - the phishsters have some MEDIOCRE songs that a few people know. that's almost the same thing. stop splitting hairs.

Date: February 3, 2013 01:29

T&A
Max'sKansasCity

hey - the phishsters have some MEDIOCRE songs that a few people know. that's almost the same thing. stop splitting hairs.

Date: February 3, 2013 01:34

Richard from Canada
Nice story! I was on Laurel Canyon Blvd a few weeks ago and remembered how significant it was to The Doors early years. Jim lived on and off there for awhile, as did one of the other Door members...can't remember who it was. Love Street mentions the Country Store on it and I think Strange Days was written about all the strange people in the area. Keep up with your story-telling. Nice reading them.

Jim and Pam's house is the brown wooden house in the pictures below. It is said that the original shower stall is still intact from when they lived there, preserved and hidden behind a remodeled bathroom wall.

The other Laurel Canyon residents in The Doors were Robbie and John, who lived at 8826 Lookout Mountain Avenue. And yes, it was while living here that Jim went out for a walk in a depressed state and returned to the house with the song People Are Strange. Ray also lived on Wonderland Avenue for a time, but later on, in the 1970s, after The Doors broke up. Pictured below is where Jim lived with Robbie and John for a time in 1966.

Here's a link with more info and stories on the musical legacy of the Laurel Canyon area, which also includes a video tour clip with author Michael Walker, [[i]Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood[/i]]:

informationfarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/inside-lc-strange-but-mostly-true-story.html

Date: February 3, 2013 01:35

stonehearted
Richard from Canada

Jim and Pam's house is the brown wooden house in the pictures below. It is said that the original shower stall is still intact from when they lived there, preserved and hidden behind a remodeled bathroom wall.

The other Laurel Canyon residents in The Doors were Robbie and John, who lived at 8826 Lookout Mountain Avenue. And yes, it was while living here that Jim went out for a walk in a depressed state and returned to the house with the song People Are Strange. Ray also lived on Wonderland Avenue for a time, but later on, in the 1970s, after The Doors broke up. Pictured below is where Jim lived with Robbie and John for a time in 1966.

Here's a link with more info and stories on the musical legacy of the Laurel Canyon area, which also includes a video tour clip with author Michael Walker, [[i]Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood[/i]]:

informationfarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/inside-lc-strange-but-mostly-true-story.html

cool cool thumbs up

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 3, 2013 01:42

I just bought this at my local Barnes & Noble this morning. Haven't read it yet. The February, 2013 issue (issue #180).

Date: February 3, 2013 01:43

Max'sKansasCity
stonehearted
Richard from Canada

cool cool thumbs up

Thanks, Max! And thanks for asking about my whereabouts in another thread. Here's a little clue for you. IORR is like a repertory company of actors in a theater. If a character gets killed off, a new character may be created. Different persona, but played by the same actor. So if you can't blog about the stones now, you just make a stone of your heart and blog on. That's all I can say. Don't want to give the game away....

Date: February 3, 2013 01:51

Right on Bro, right on! ... GREAT to see you here.... I didnt know.

Date: February 3, 2013 02:12

Great photos Stonehearted. Brings me right back there...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 3, 2013 02:13

Backstage and Dangerous (the Private Rehearsals) is hilariously entertaining.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 3, 2013 14:04

When I am in Paris I like walking in the Cemetery of Père-Lachaise .
Some of the famous artists in this cemetery are ; Balzac-Chopin-Delacroix-Molière-Edith Piaf-Oscar Wilde-Karel Appel and Jim Morrison.
JM was inspired by William Blake-Rimbaud-Beaudelaire-Antonin Artaud author of theater of cruelty and Julian Beck's living theater. They may have inspired his stage theater-performances.JM very polished and clean graveyard nowadays is protected by security , back in the eighties it was a coloured place with names and Doors-lyrics, a bust- bottles-cigarettes and dead flowers; "Rock And Roll". Strange Days is one of my favorite Doors song

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 4, 2013 07:38

BJPortugal

The Detroit show, to me seems to be at the very least fueled somewhat by the shootings at Kent State University just four days prior. The city of Detroit is easily within driving distance from Kent State, and it is within reason to assume that at least some Kent State students made the trek to Detroit. Beside the collective mood of the country, in particular college students at the time, had to inform the audience and in turn the performance.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 4, 2013 08:31

I saw Ray Manzarek talk and play piano in an Irish pub in S. Calif five or so years ago, and he told stories (and trashed Oliver Stone's Doors film) and was charming and down to earth and great. Because so often in interviews he can be the biggest windbag of all time. So it was nice he wasn't in this pub.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 4, 2013 19:00

Saw a good documentary on Jim Morrison a few nights ago. It was part of a series called "Final 24" where they speculate on the last 24 hours of somebody's life.

Date: February 4, 2013 19:29

FrankM
Saw a good documentary on Jim Morrison a few nights ago. It was part of a series called "Final 24" where they speculate on the last 24 hours of somebody's life.

next week they're doing an episode on stonestod

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home