Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 10 of 14
Re: OT: RIP Whitney Houston
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:37

Max'sKansasCity

Max...it's like you have a point, would like to express it, but just aren't sure it's coming off like you would like it to!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:37

Even though she lived there for a while, sending someone off with a
funeral in New Jersey is just cruel.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:41

Max'sKansasCity

Max, I always appreciate the pionts you make.

Mathijs

Date: February 14, 2012 23:42

MKjan

rimshot

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:45

Erik_Snow
Mathijs
Man, I went to have bite for a few hours, only to come back to found out that our big man in the sky censored the fact that I have the opinion that our Lisa has a black womens voice, just as Miss Houston had. And Aretha, and Etha, and Dionne, and Dianne, and....

When I sing, I have a very white man's voice. And a bad one for sure!

Mathijs

Maybe say afro-american voice the next time !

You're kidding right?

Mathijs

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:51

She may be "your" Lisa, Mathijs, but she isn't mine.
The whole world does not revolve around your opinion.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:53

Mathijs
Erik_Snow
Mathijs
Man, I went to have bite for a few hours, only to come back to found out that our big man in the sky censored the fact that I have the opinion that our Lisa has a black womens voice, just as Miss Houston had. And Aretha, and Etha, and Dionne, and Dianne, and....

When I sing, I have a very white man's voice. And a bad one for sure!

Mathijs

Maybe say afro-american voice the next time !

You're kidding right?

Mathijs

I shouldn't have to confirm that, but yes, obviously

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 15, 2012 00:03

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

Max...it's like you have a point, would like to express it, but just aren't sure it's coming off like you would like it to!
I guess we'll have to wait for Max's book. Uncensored,uncut and unforgiving!eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: February 15, 2012 00:03

Umm, we (in the U.S.) don't actually use the term "Afro-American" anymore. It went out of fashion with the hairstyle. Black is fine, black is good.

MKjan, you made me smile really big smiling smiley Word is that Mama Houston wants the funeral moved to Atlanta because she says Whitney was her happiest there.

Date: February 15, 2012 00:13

lapaz62
More rose coloured glasses for another useless junkie.

You freak! Leave Keith Ron and Charlie out of this!

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: February 15, 2012 00:19

treaclefingers
brianwalker
treaclefingers
brianwalker
treaclefingers
brianwalker
stupidguy2
Justin
Right on stupidguy2. A heartbeat is a heartbeat--any way you look at it.

I don't think people realize just where this "indifference" really stems from. I put the blame squarely on our media: TV and the internet. It's gotten so bad now that death has become this place that we send our troubled celebrities when we're just tried of reading/hearing about them on the news. People start to wish death on them just to get them out of their hair: "Thank God you're dead. Now I don't have to hear about you anymore." I suspect most people aren't aware of this but they'd rather go with the more accessible (but flawed) "you don't even know her" or "she was going to die any day now anyway" logic.

When I first started surfing the net, more than 15 years ago, I was always amazed at some of the comments posted about certain people, things.
So I think the internet has just made their callousness accepted, or has given it a forum. I have a friend who is this cynical and whenever someone famous dies -
'I'm so sick of hearing about so-and-so - they were'nt that great..'
Its the inevitable response and I think it must be just part of some people's nature to be that dismissive or unmoved, unless its somebody they care about.
The notion that you can't feel something over a famous person's death or you can only feel bad for someones whose musical style you like, is shallow.
Houston's trajectory is, I think, what makes people feel sadness because we all watched it, Just like we may have watched it with people we know personally....that makes it relatable and human - to care about someone you didn't know.

I get tired of the fact that when ever someone famous dies people who didn't know the person have to go out of their way to make it seem like they are really effected by the death. WH has done nothig in years. I am sure most on this board have never thought much of her music. But read the posts. Its like posters feel like they have to say something positive and give their feelings. Rubbish. Hey guys..Neither WH or her family are reading this board. And God help anyone who says they didn't live her music. Its like you slapped another poster in the mouth.

All we are missing from WH dying is articles in scandel magazines about her drug use. Thats it. Just like all we missed from Lennon dying is some average later day pop songs. All we mised from Elvis dying was a fat way past his prime singer, singing old songs. Why is there the need to act like the world is going to miss a person everytime they die. Its very annoying.

Its a shame for her family, and that a life ended short, but it doesn't effect one person on IORR. I wish people stopped the forced caring, and stop feeling the need to build WH up just because she died.

bri...did someone take a piss in your cheerios this morning? eye rolling smiley

Posting the obvious doesn't exactly mean someone took a piss in my cherios. Just call sillyness and hype when I see it.

Why would a few people expressing condolences get you all angry? don't post in this thread if you don't like it, but you're showing zero class right now.

So calling something like it is is showing zero class? Give me a break. I am saying about WH what everyone else was saying last week. Don't get the need to Exaggerate because someone dies.

YES, you finally got it! You have zero class! I knew you weren't as dumb as you sounded! All this thread was, if you read the title, was a place for people to express their condolences on a tragic event (whether she was the author of her own misfortune really is besides the point).

You have zero class because rather than just ignore it if for some bizarre reason it upsets you, you are trying to get everybody agitated, for really no good reason. I don't see anybody getting on the bandwagon with you here, because your position is not well regarded, and EVEN if you had an actual point, there is a time and place for that.

I don't care that you have no compassion...you just have no class, and you should care about that for how you are perceived.

Where does no comparssion come from? I already said its sad for WH's family. I said its sad that a life ended so young. So your no compassion claim makes no sense.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: February 15, 2012 00:20

lapaz62
More rose coloured glasses for another useless junkie.

Now thats no compassion.

Date: February 15, 2012 00:22

brianwalker
treaclefingers
brianwalker
treaclefingers
brianwalker
treaclefingers
brianwalker
stupidguy2
Justin
Right on stupidguy2. A heartbeat is a heartbeat--any way you look at it.

I don't think people realize just where this "indifference" really stems from. I put the blame squarely on our media: TV and the internet. It's gotten so bad now that death has become this place that we send our troubled celebrities when we're just tried of reading/hearing about them on the news. People start to wish death on them just to get them out of their hair: "Thank God you're dead. Now I don't have to hear about you anymore." I suspect most people aren't aware of this but they'd rather go with the more accessible (but flawed) "you don't even know her" or "she was going to die any day now anyway" logic.

When I first started surfing the net, more than 15 years ago, I was always amazed at some of the comments posted about certain people, things.
So I think the internet has just made their callousness accepted, or has given it a forum. I have a friend who is this cynical and whenever someone famous dies -
'I'm so sick of hearing about so-and-so - they were'nt that great..'
Its the inevitable response and I think it must be just part of some people's nature to be that dismissive or unmoved, unless its somebody they care about.
The notion that you can't feel something over a famous person's death or you can only feel bad for someones whose musical style you like, is shallow.
Houston's trajectory is, I think, what makes people feel sadness because we all watched it, Just like we may have watched it with people we know personally....that makes it relatable and human - to care about someone you didn't know.

I get tired of the fact that when ever someone famous dies people who didn't know the person have to go out of their way to make it seem like they are really effected by the death. WH has done nothig in years. I am sure most on this board have never thought much of her music. But read the posts. Its like posters feel like they have to say something positive and give their feelings. Rubbish. Hey guys..Neither WH or her family are reading this board. And God help anyone who says they didn't live her music. Its like you slapped another poster in the mouth.

All we are missing from WH dying is articles in scandel magazines about her drug use. Thats it. Just like all we missed from Lennon dying is some average later day pop songs. All we mised from Elvis dying was a fat way past his prime singer, singing old songs. Why is there the need to act like the world is going to miss a person everytime they die. Its very annoying.

Its a shame for her family, and that a life ended short, but it doesn't effect one person on IORR. I wish people stopped the forced caring, and stop feeling the need to build WH up just because she died.

bri...did someone take a piss in your cheerios this morning? eye rolling smiley

Posting the obvious doesn't exactly mean someone took a piss in my cherios. Just call sillyness and hype when I see it.

Why would a few people expressing condolences get you all angry? don't post in this thread if you don't like it, but you're showing zero class right now.

So calling something like it is is showing zero class? Give me a break. I am saying about WH what everyone else was saying last week. Don't get the need to Exaggerate because someone dies.

YES, you finally got it! You have zero class! I knew you weren't as dumb as you sounded! All this thread was, if you read the title, was a place for people to express their condolences on a tragic event (whether she was the author of her own misfortune really is besides the point).

You have zero class because rather than just ignore it if for some bizarre reason it upsets you, you are trying to get everybody agitated, for really no good reason. I don't see anybody getting on the bandwagon with you here, because your position is not well regarded, and EVEN if you had an actual point, there is a time and place for that.

I don't care that you have no compassion...you just have no class, and you should care about that for how you are perceived.

Where does no comparssion come from? I already said its sad for WH's family. I said its sad that a life ended so young. So your no compassion claim makes no sense.

I stand corrected...you are compassionately without class

Date: February 15, 2012 00:35

treaclefingers
MKjan

rimshot
smileys with beer

Date: February 15, 2012 00:36

Claire_M
Umm, we (in the U.S.) don't actually use the term "Afro-American" anymore. It went out of fashion with the hairstyle. Black is fine, black is good.

MKjan, you made me smile really big smiling smiley Word is that Mama Houston wants the funeral moved to Atlanta because she says Whitney was her happiest there.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 15, 2012 00:46

............................... The Australian 15 February 2012

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 15, 2012 01:07

BrianWalker,
You seem to be confusing media hyperbole from genuine human reaction to a celebrity's death.
Most people can differentiate the two and take it for what it is. But anyone with a soul can appreciate what this or that death/loss means and feel something about it.
Soul is a operative word here.

Date: February 15, 2012 01:07

stupidguy2
BrianWalker,
You seem to be confusing media hyperbole from genuine human reaction to a celebrity's death.
Most people can differentiate the two and take it for what it is. But anyone with a soul can appreciate what this or that death/loss means and feel something about it.
Soul is the operative word here.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 15, 2012 02:20

Aretha's tribute to Whitney

[www.youtube-nocookie.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: February 15, 2012 02:38

As a child, Whitney used to hang out in the recording studio with her mother Cissy...who sang backup on all those great Aretha songs in the late 60s...

Date: February 15, 2012 02:42

treaclefingers - let people have there say, no matter what. must you get all overzealous when someone disagrees with the way YOU think they ought to react.and why must death be taken so seriously. have you ever been to a black funeral? they sing and dance and rejoice that the person is free of this world. RELAX

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 15, 2012 02:49

21stcenturystones
have you ever been to a black funeral? they sing and dance and rejoice that the person is free of this world.

Have you? I've been to several funerals for black people, and there was no dancing or rejoicing, they were like any other funeral I've been too. I've seen the type of funerals you're talking about on TV and movies, but that's not how all black people do funerals. I'm sure there are some though.

I know what you're saying and you don't mean anything bad by it, but I think it's important to point out black people don't all have those types of funerals, I've only seen that on television. They mourn in different ways, just like the rest of us.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 15, 2012 03:10

Max'sKansasCity
hey look A THREAD!!! I BETTER GO SAY SOMETHING!!

Sounds like you are describing yourself, Max.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 15, 2012 03:40

RIP

Date: February 15, 2012 04:30

NoCode0680 - let treacle....answer

Date: February 15, 2012 05:15

21stcenturystones
treaclefingers - let people have there say, no matter what. must you get all overzealous when someone disagrees with the way YOU think they ought to react.and why must death be taken so seriously. have you ever been to a black funeral? they sing and dance and rejoice that the person is free of this world. RELAX

you're obviously referring to the brian walker posts...if you've read his posts, he's outraged that there is any public discourse on this board, specifically related to offering condolences or expressions of sadness etc for WH.

Basically, all i've said is 'then go away', quit torturing yourself, but leave everyone else alone. i can also have my say, according to you. much obliged for your concern.

sorry...to add one thing: where do you get such a one-dimensional view of blacks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 05:17 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 15, 2012 05:32

Maybe I'm taking a misstep here - but I thought those of us who commented on this thread from the get go just wanted to express our sorrow and grief at the passing of great singer.
AMEN and RIP Whitney - While we'll miss your voice the heavens will rejoice.
Rock on.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 15, 2012 06:06

memphiscats
Maybe I'm taking a misstep here - but I thought those of us who commented on this thread from the get go just wanted to express our sorrow and grief at the passing of great singer.
AMEN and RIP Whitney - While we'll miss your voice the heavens will rejoice.
Rock on.

Not a misstep man, that is the point of eulogy thread, or I thought it was...
others seems to think it is for something else.. like... ah... its not worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 06:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: February 15, 2012 06:35

RIP Whitney, may the good Lord shine a light on you.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 15, 2012 06:54

So let's just end this thread on a good note ...
With a Song in My Heart...RIP WH...
night all smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 10 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home