Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: The tour that broke more rules and created more new rules than any other in history...
Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 19, 2012 19:52

Youngie
Youngie
Did The Stones ever "tour" European opera houses like The Who did in late 1969-1970?

Anyone?

Thanks for all the help! eye rolling smiley

Re: The tour that broke more rules and created more new rules than any other in history...
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 20, 2012 11:48

Youngie
Youngie
Youngie
Did The Stones ever "tour" European opera houses like The Who did in late 1969-1970?

Anyone?

Thanks for all the help! eye rolling smiley

grinning smiley

Going by the concert information found in the link below it doesn't look like they did.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 12:02 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 20, 2012 20:21

His Majesty
grinning smiley

Going by the concert information found in the link below it doesn't look like they did.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Thanks for going to all the trouble. No sarcasm this time grinning smiley

Cheers thumbs up

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: March 7, 2012 18:18

Thanks for this! I note some of the people making points about which they know (interesting the 'know' sounds the same as 'no'-maybe that's where their confusion lies) nothing, maybe it's their negative personalities.
There were two main differences in this tour, one thru planning and the other thru necessity and a different mind set.
Planning. the Stones wanted to put on their own controlled rock show. Prior to this the usual format was the local promoter booked the big name band and showcased them with thier own managed acts or some local bands and the booking agent packaged some of their bands as well. The big band got a fixed fee and that was that.
The Stones put together all the talent for each show, hence B.B King, Ike and Tina, Chuck Berry, etc..and paid them out of their own pocket.
Necessity...with the Stones paying for everything I had to make it happen and since they didn't have money at the time..As an accountant and with a big name band, I decided to demand a percentage of the shows, in some cases 75%--I told the promoters that they could make 10% on the gate and if they were in a losing proposition we would adjust. Only one promoter needed an adjustment actually to cover the cost of cleaning the rug on the stage. The Stones scaled the house and refused to play in the round as they didn't think it was fair for people sitting behind them. That knocked about 25% off the gate.. I also had a closed circuit deal offered by the people that did the boxing matches..a giant deal for it's time in the millions. Mick was concerned about a director and how it would look and refused. There are a lot more instances of broken rules--MSG is a beaut..but so much for now..you can check my blog for more details..meandtherollingstones.com

Date: March 7, 2012 18:30

Reading further I have noticed more of the urban myth started by a newspaper article--the ticket prices!! They were not high. We controlled them as opposed to the promoter controlling them. What you don't know is that the higher priced tickets-front rows- sell out at no matter what price. If I recall the top price for the front row was about $25. they always sold out to the big shots who wanted to be in the front row. It was fun to watch these big shots - some politicians who didn't know what they were getting into-sitting there with their fingers in their ears or being crushed by the crowd rush to the stage..
I believe our average ticket price was about $6..the orchestra's went for about $8. That was for a show with entertainers that could charge the same for their own shows..I have always felt that the article which I was told was fueled by Bill Graham because he was pissed* at me and the
Stones, caused the free concert..which was Altamont..karma..
* I made him pay the same 50% up front guarantee as the other promoters and he didn't think he should.

Date: March 7, 2012 18:40

^ Thanks for taking the time to post that. thumbs up

[meandtherollingstones.com]

Date: March 7, 2012 20:52

my pleasure..I welcome any opportunity for the facts..

Date: March 8, 2012 00:39

I haven't been here in awhile and was surprised (happily) to see these postings..the Stones still have the greatest fans!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 8, 2012 01:00

bmuseed
I haven't been here in awhile and was surprised (happily) to see these postings..the Stones still have the greatest fans!

Ronnie, great to read your posts - such awesome details - much appreciated. It's funny how much of the time Bill Graham was pissed with various people over various things smiling smiley I'd forgotten (or hadn't known) that Bill Graham wrangled the LA concerts away from the Filmways concert group...and was pissed [again] about not controlling Altamont. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if the force of nature that is Bill Graham were added to the Altamont soup...and can only say "oy yoy yoy" in imagining such a thing. [btw this is Susan writing - will see you soon]

- swiss

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 8, 2012 03:01

bmuseed
Reading further I have noticed more of the urban myth started by a newspaper article--the ticket prices!! They were not high. We controlled them as opposed to the promoter controlling them. What you don't know is that the higher priced tickets-front rows- sell out at no matter what price. If I recall the top price for the front row was about $25. they always sold out to the big shots who wanted to be in the front row. It was fun to watch these big shots - some politicians who didn't know what they were getting into-sitting there with their fingers in their ears or being crushed by the crowd rush to the stage..
I believe our average ticket price was about $6..the orchestra's went for about $8. That was for a show with entertainers that could charge the same for their own shows..I have always felt that the article which I was told was fueled by Bill Graham because he was pissed* at me and the
* I made him pay the same 50% up front guarantee as the other promoters and he didn't think he should.
Wow - thanks so much for this info. Rock on, Ron!smoking smiley

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 8, 2012 06:34

what where the tour dates from the Stones in 1969 ???

Date: March 8, 2012 15:52

steffiestones
what where the tour dates from the Stones in 1969 ???

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: March 9, 2012 00:19

Bill was pissed at me for various other reasons..1st-- when he came to NYC to meet me to ask about doing the '69 tour..I was late to the meeting and my wife told him I was out walking my dogs..How dare I not be waiting for him..he whined to the NY papers how rude I was..:-)
At the Oakland show we had a physical fight.. I Hit him in the balls with my briefcase when he pushed his finger in my chest and Keith pulled me off into the dressing room..

memphiscats
bmuseed
Wow - thanks so much for this info. Rock on, Ron!smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2181
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home