Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: The tour that broke more rules and created more new rules than any other in history...
Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 12, 2012 08:00

The tour that broke more rules would have to be the Ronnie Lane's Passing Show tour in 1974(?). Just as the Faces were on the verge of becoming arena stars, Lane dropped off the grid to put together a travelling tent show.

On a related note, the Stones invented the wheel and discovered fire.

Re: The tour that broke more rules and created more new rules than any other in history...
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 12, 2012 08:53

When the stage is just shoulder-high and the audiennce is standing right up at the edge like the 1969 tour... Well that's rock & roll.

It's sad that that is inconceivable today.

They were really heady times. I was just a bit too young!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2012 09:13

.............................................. Ethan.A.Russell

ROCKMAN

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: February 12, 2012 09:25

Thanks for the pics Rockman.

Date: February 12, 2012 09:27

....thanks up there klrkr .... hope ya feet are dry....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: February 12, 2012 09:31

Hot as buggry here mate - the only things cold is the beer and the missus!!Cheers

Date: February 12, 2012 09:33

......cool one... heat da ovver.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 12, 2012 09:53

Rockman

.............................................. Ethan.A.Russell

Great picture of the L.A. Forum (from onstage).

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 12, 2012 10:17

BluzDude
Cream and the Doors played arenas in 1968. Hendrix played at the Hollywood Bowl which is arena size (17,000) in 1968, and did play the Forum in Early 1969.
...I'm just saying...not sure if the rest of the shows in other cities were arena shows.

but they were not full-fledge tours- not talking one-offs here - this was an arena "tour" that set the new standard

Date: February 12, 2012 14:54

BluzDude
hbwriter
Technically- I think the doors played the felt forum-located within the garden- but not "the garden"

Well, I saw them at the Fabulous Forum in front of 18,000 folks in December 1968. If they could sell that many seats in L.A. they probably could also in New York. BTW, it was the worst concert I've ever been to, but Jerry Lee was pretty good even thought the crowd didn't appreciate him.

BluzDude - why was it the worst show you have been at? The stories from people who actually saw the 60's shows are amazing to me.

Rockman - you have posted some beautiful ! shots in thread. Thank You.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 12, 2012 15:12

MileHigh
When the stage is just shoulder-high and the audiennce is standing right up at the edge like the 1969 tour... Well that's rock & roll.

It's sad that that is inconceivable today.

I remember it being inconceivable even in the 70s. I think it was Altamont that made the Stones, and every other band, start putting up those barricades that turned the meaning of "front row" into something more like, "I was only 10 or 15 feet from the stage". I'm very jealous of that elbows-on-the-stage intimacy you see in those photos from '69, but while that may now be inconceivable at arena and stadium concerts, you can still do it at clubs and maybe even at some theater shows. Just don't expect to ever be able to get that close to the Stones.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-12 15:23 by tatters.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 12, 2012 16:29

Mick and Keith sitting on the stools playing the acoustic numbers is rock and roll nirvana for me anyways!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 12, 2012 16:50

hbwriter
BluzDude
Cream and the Doors played arenas in 1968. Hendrix played at the Hollywood Bowl which is arena size (17,000) in 1968, and did play the Forum in Early 1969.
...I'm just saying...not sure if the rest of the shows in other cities were arena shows.

but they were not full-fledge tours- not talking one-offs here - this was an arena "tour" that set the new standard

Not much of a fan of The Doors so I dunno about them, but the 1968 Cream farewell tour and April - June 1969 Hendrix tour were very much full-fledge tours.

The Stones '69 tour set up was just them doing what others were already doing in 1968/69, but as always with some of their own ideas thrown in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-12 16:54 by His Majesty.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 12, 2012 16:53

hbwriter
broke more rules

Must be Bob Dylan in 1966

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 12, 2012 20:40

Palace Revolution 2000
BluzDude
hbwriter
Technically- I think the doors played the felt forum-located within the garden- but not "the garden"

Well, I saw them at the Fabulous Forum in front of 18,000 folks in December 1968. If they could sell that many seats in L.A. they probably could also in New York. BTW, it was the worst concert I've ever been to, but Jerry Lee was pretty good even thought the crowd didn't appreciate him.

BluzDude - why was it the worst show you have been at? The stories from people who actually saw the 60's shows are amazing to me.

The Doors played about 6 songs with Morrison standing like a statue at the mic, then he sat down and read poetry for 20 to 30 minutes. That was the whole set.

and hb, Cream was a full tour, they even made a movie about it.

Date: February 12, 2012 21:31

BluzDude
Palace Revolution 2000
BluzDude
hbwriter

The Doors played about 6 songs with Morrison standing like a statue at the mic, then he sat down and read poetry for 20 to 30 minutes. That was the whole set.

and hb, Cream was a full tour, they even made a movie about it.

For many American fans, Cream's Farewell Tour was, ironically, their first look at Clapton, who didn't play in the states for the fist time until 1967.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2012 21:39

hbwriter
BluzDude

I posted a link to the 1968 Cream tour dates. It most definitely was - with a couple of exceptions - an 'arena tour'.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 12, 2012 21:41

it seems like it's very important to some that the stones are or were the first at things. i don't understand that. i think it's cool when they are the 17th to do things, though....

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: February 12, 2012 21:41

that's not the LA Forum. it's phoenix veterans memorial coliseum. notice the empty seats. phoenix is the only town on the '69 tour that did not sell out. they didn't play the valley of the sun again til the '81 sun devil stadium date.

Date: February 12, 2012 21:45

Gazza
hbwriter
BluzDude

I posted a link to the 1968 Cream tour dates. It most definitely was - with a couple of exceptions - an 'arena tour'.

Yes, but was it a ramshackle, rinky dink affair, or was it conducted with the precision of a military invasion? For starters, did they travel with their own lights and PA, or did they have to scramble to throw something together at each stop on the tour? I think what hbwriter was trying to say in his original post, was that it was the way in which the Stones toured America in the fall of 1969 that set the template for all other arena tours by all other bands to follow.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: February 12, 2012 21:47

i saw the stones at oakland in nov. 1969. incredible show! made me a stones fan for life...

Date: February 12, 2012 21:53

tatters
Gazza
hbwriter
BluzDude

Yes, but was it a ramshackle, rinky dink affair, or was it conducted with the precision of a military invasion? For starters, did they travel with their own lights and PA, or did they have to scramble to throw something together at each stop on the tour? I think what hbwriter was trying to say in his original post, was that it was the way in which the Stones toured America in the fall of 1969 that set the template for all other arena tours by all other bands to follow.
tatters-exactly-that you for understanding the abstract of the main point

Date: February 12, 2012 22:01

sundevil
that's not the LA Forum. it's phoenix veterans memorial coliseum. notice the empty seats. phoenix is the only town on the '69 tour that did not sell out. they didn't play the valley of the sun again til the '81 sun devil stadium date.

I don't know, man - that bak wall and ceiling sure look like the Forum - and i'm not sure those are empties as opposed to people that simply pushed down front - here's the interior of Phoenix- does not look like it- i've been in both places, too - i'd say it's the Forum

[www.city-data.com]

another image - phoenix has a tiled ceiling - the Forum has "ribs" - which you can see in the Russell photo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-12 22:04 by hbwriter.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 12, 2012 22:05

another phoenix-la feud. it's the city equivalent of the mt-rw rows....

Re: The tour that broke more rules and created new rules than any other in history...
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 12, 2012 22:09

hbwriter
1:45 - charlie mouthing the words- magic

Is word-mouthing one of the magical rules that was broken or created?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 12, 2012 22:18

The threads point only works if you view things through stones tinted glasses.

cool smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 12, 2012 22:21

... ah yes, the difference between a fan and a fanboy.
smoking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Re: The tour that broke more rules and created new rules than any other in history...
Date: February 12, 2012 22:26

jamesfdouglas
hbwriter
1:45 - charlie mouthing the words- magic

Is word-mouthing one of the magical rules that was broken or created?

I dunno - you as a "powergoat" are probably way more qualified to answer your own question

Date: February 12, 2012 22:27

His Majesty
The threads point only works if you view things through stones tinted glasses.

cool smiley

or if you know how to read smiling smiley

Date: February 12, 2012 22:33

some other interesting bits on this tour - a dedicated thematic poster

[upload.wikimedia.org]

and some of what became the first modern "bootleg" recordings

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2144
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home