Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Out of step on the Clash
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 11, 2012 04:12

Youngie
Ket
Belfast=Northern Ireland that forms part of the United Kingdom

Last time I checked Belfast is in Ireland. North, South, East & West - it's all Ireland. As for the "United Kingdom" (LOL) if you want to believe it still exists go ahead...

Maybe you should check again before pontificating on something you clearly know nothing about - but thanks for telling me where I live. I guess I wouldnt have known otherwise. eye rolling smiley

Youngie

The "United Kingdom" was a nice idea for you guys in the ancient past but the reality is a bit different nowadays. Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales will want their independance. It's just a matter of time.

There is absolutely NO movement for 'independence' in Northern Ireland and never has been. Try and have a clue what you're talking about. It wont happen in Wales either and is probably unlikely to happen in Scotland.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-11 04:17 by Gazza.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2012 04:21

memphiscats
treaclefingers
Ket
Youngie
Ket
What the hell are you talking about? So the SNP are going to have a referendum on Scottish independence in 2014, what does that have to do with Nortehern Ireland??
and by the way the opinion polls still show the majority of Scots want to remain in the UK, why do you think the SNP are waiting 2 years bfore they put it to a vote.

I've upset you haven't I?

The "United Kingdom" was a nice idea for you guys in the ancient past but the reality is a bit different nowadays. Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales will want their independance. It's just a matter of time.
at least now you your expressing an opnion and not trying to pass it off as fact, mission accomplished at long last

I wonder if Scotland is on the same separation plan as Quebec? You know the one, threaten to leave, have all businesses relocate to Toronto (London) and then have the vote fail.

Works like a charm for Quebec.
Ever wonder why so many Scots moved to Nova Scotia? They heard the weather was worse.

nice geographic bitch slap! smileys with beer

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 11, 2012 04:55

clash were very good...
but pistols > clash, not even close.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 11, 2012 06:54

Slick
clash were very good...

I disagree, mainly because The Sex Pistols are a whole lot of hype, a whole lot of image, and what did their career add up to? One album.

As storied and well-known as they are, you would think there would be a body of work to back it up. They were more about an attitude and an image than music. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album. But it's all they did, and then broke up 3 months later.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 11, 2012 14:18

Gazza
There is absolutely NO movement for 'independence' in Northern Ireland and never has been. Try and have a clue what you're talking about. It wont happen in Wales either and is probably unlikely to happen in Scotland.

You think Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales would rather be ruled by the english than be independant? LOL good one. The only reason there's no movements yet is because it suits 'em.

Date: February 11, 2012 14:24

NoCode0680
Slick
clash were very good...

I disagree, mainly because The Sex Pistols are a whole lot of hype, a whole lot of image, and what did their career add up to? One album.

As storied and well-known as they are, you would think there would be a body of work to back it up. They were more about an attitude and an image than music. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album. But it's all they did, and then broke up 3 months later.

i agree with this post. sex pistols are just a lot of flash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 11, 2012 15:11

Youngie
Gazza

You think Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales would rather be ruled by the english than be independant? LOL good one. The only reason there's no movements yet is because it suits 'em.

I live there. I'm pretty sure that I know what I'm talking about. Do you?

You're so far out of your depth here you should have brought a liferaft

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-11 15:15 by Gazza.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 11, 2012 15:12

NoCode0680
Slick
clash were very good...

more than just a great album, it is the hardest rocking album ever, with absolutely no filler, each song a 10 out of 10. if you look up filler in the dictionary, you will see a picture of the clash lol.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 11, 2012 15:17

Gazza

Oh yeah. Why is there still a united kingdom? Something called money.

Nice to know you'd rather be controlled by the english then be independant tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-11 15:20 by Youngie.

Date: February 11, 2012 15:22

Respect them but not a fan.

Sharrie he don't like it.

Date: February 11, 2012 15:43

Crime that there's hardly any official live releases with Topper drumming.
I read the book on the Clash, and saw how many times Joe, Mick and Paul gave Terry Chimes the call-back. He suits their power chord anthems, but has none of the subtleties, and even brilliance that Topper had.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 11, 2012 16:02

I don't live there. The historical divisions could not be more complex, but
this is what wikipedia says about the current situation:

As of 2007, 36% of the population define themselves as Unionist, 24% as
Nationalist and 40% define themselves as neither.According to a 2009 opinion
poll, 69% express longterm preference of the maintenance of Northern Ireland's
membership of the United Kingdom (either directly ruled or with devolved
government), while 21% express a preference for membership of a united Ireland.
This discrepancy can be explained by the overwhelming preference among
Protestants to remain a part of the UK (91%), while Catholic preferences are
spread across a number of solutions to the constitutional question including
remaining a part of the UK (47%), a united Ireland (40%), Northern Ireland
becoming an independent state (5%), and those who "don't know" (5%).

Official voting figures, which reflect views on the "national question" along
with issues of candidate, geography, personal loyalty and historic voting
patterns, show 54% of Northern Ireland voters vote for Pro-Unionist parties, 42%
vote for Pro-Nationalist parties and 4% vote "other".

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 11, 2012 16:41

Youngie
Come On
well still no suggestion of any other true (good) punk-bands from UK...excellent, I got it then....

I mentioned Buzzcocks. They weren't bad.

Excellent choice, I saw them live in London -77 and talked to Glen Matlock on that concert, He was advertising his new band 'Rich Kids' and gave away ???was it buttons you called them? that everybody intressted in music had all over their jackets...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 11, 2012 16:44

I would rate the original Clash drummer right up there with Charlie.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 11, 2012 16:45

Chris Fountain

It wasn't Topper was it?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 11, 2012 16:47

Chris Fountain

Well, you can't really compare them. In fact you can't compare Charlie to no other drummer.lol
But I have to say I liked Topper's drumming so much I was one of the few persons who even bought his solo album . .

Date: February 11, 2012 16:48

I think Topper was his name. Lqast heard he's still alive and in Canada.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 11, 2012 17:24

Youngie
Gazza

Nice to know you'd rather be controlled by the english then be independant tongue sticking out smiley

Hey I get the feeling you're trying to stir things up !

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 11, 2012 17:44

Erik_Snow
Youngie
Gazza

Hey I get the feeling you're trying to stir things up !

Clearly
Why cant everyone enjoy there Safe European Homes?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 12, 2012 18:11

Chris Fountain

Terry Chimes, more of a Jerry Nolan straight ahead type, played on the first Clash album. Topper Headon didn't join until spring 1977, after the first album was completed.

They didn't fully settle on a drummer until Headon joined. Chimes played a lot of their early gigs and on the first album, but quit after a wine bottle shattered on his hi-hat. Rob Harper was the drummer on the Anarchy tour. Then after a lengthy series of auditions, Headon got the job. For a few years there, Headon was absolutely brilliant.

Headon was sacked right before their 1982 US tour after Combat Rock was released. His heroin addiction had become a serious liability and affected his playing. Tempos sped up and slowed down, seemingly on whim. Terry Chimes returned on short notice, and the tour was well-received by rubes who didn't know any better. But, without Headon, the Clash were finished.

I saw them five times with Headon, twice with Chimes, and once with the post-Jones lineup. At their best, the Clash were power and commitment personified. The Passaic, NJ show I saw in March 1980 (heavily bootlegged, seek it out) remains one of the very best concerts I've seen in nearly 40 years of concertgoing. The Bonds 1981 shows were erratic, and the Chimes and post-Jones shows were just sad.

Date: February 12, 2012 18:22

ab
Chris Fountain

Terry Chimes, more of a Jerry Nolan straight ahead type, played on the first Clash album. Topper Headon didn't join until spring 1977, after the first album was completed.

They didn't fully settle on a drummer until Headon joined. Chimes played a lot of their early gigs and on the first album, but quit after a wine bottle shattered on his hi-hat. Rob Harper was the drummer on the Anarchy tour. Then after a lengthy series of auditions, Headon got the job. For a few years there, Headon was absolutely brilliant.

Many Thanks! One of their best performances was the Tom Snyder Show appearance circa 1978? They were actually one of the frontrunners of "Rap" Music....Cheeeeseburger!! Yeah what a great great drummer. Mick Jones really keeps the spirit going despite loss of mainstream popularity!

Headon was sacked right before their 1982 US tour after Combat Rock was released. His heroin addiction had become a serious liability and affected his playing. Tempos sped up and slowed down, seemingly on whim. Terry Chimes returned on short notice, and the tour was well-received by rubes who didn't know any better. But, without Headon, the Clash were finished.

I saw them five times with Headon, twice with Chimes, and once with the post-Jones lineup. At their best, the Clash were power and commitment personified. The Passaic, NJ show I saw in March 1980 (heavily bootlegged, seek it out) remains one of the very best concerts I've seen in nearly 40 years of concertgoing. The Bonds 1981 shows were erratic, and the Chimes and post-Jones shows were just sad.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 24, 2012 06:36

Guy Stevenshot smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 24, 2012 06:40

Youngie
Gazza

Am I missing something here? The SNP won the last election in Scotland, right?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 24, 2012 07:39

71Tele
Youngie
Gazza

Right...and next you're going to say that Scotland and England should have separate football teams, instead of playing soccer as a United Kingdom. Get real!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 24, 2012 07:58

treaclefingers
71Tele
Youngie
Gazza

Right...and next you're going to say that Scotland and England should have separate football teams, instead of playing soccer as a United Kingdom. Get real!

Aren't they fielding a united UK team for the Olympics?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home