Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Out of step on the Clash
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: February 5, 2012 23:16

I respect the musical opinion of most of you, so let me ask. I think the Clash was extrealy overrated. However, every time I offer that opinion people look at me as if I am crazy.

Please - what does this group think.

Re: Out of step on the Clash
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 5, 2012 23:35

I personally love The Clash. I think the reason they're so highly regarded is that most of the young/new artists of the time were pop/new wave stuff, and they were one of the few bands of actual substance to come out of that period. Hence their nickname at the time of "The Only Band That Matters". I don't necessarily agree with that, but they sometimes seem like it.

As with all music, people are going to have different tastes. So anybody that looks at you as if you're crazy for stating an opinion must live a pretty sheltered existence when it comes to music. I'm guessing only talking to other Clash fans. Every single band I like I've had somebody bash them to my face. It's just part of music or any art, it's subjective.

I would imagine that any rock music fan, if they look deep enough, can at least find one Clash song they like. They were a very diverse group that were influenced by many different genres. And for those that don't like Joe Strummer's voice, they usually like the songs that Mick Jones (who had a more melodic voice) sang.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 6, 2012 00:04

It's my number One Punk-Rock-Band from UK...so I think they're great...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 6, 2012 00:07

I know some people have a problem with their politics.

The band's music was charged by a leftist political ideology, they protested against monarchy and aristocracy; however, unlike many of their peers, they rejected punk nihilism. This was music with real hope for the future. The world needed angry, militaristic songs against Reaganism and Thatcherism, and against stupid consumerism. When most bands played only one style with no brains whatsoever, The clash did whatever they wanted - Along with smart punk songs, came songs with reggae, ska, dub, funk and disco grooves, with rap, dance, and rockabilly, you name it and the lyrics were spot on - This was a "Thinking Man's Band." - Love it Or Hate it.

HereĀ“s my fave: Lost In A supermarket. The song opens with Strummer's autobiographical memories of his parents' home in suburban Warlingham, with a hedge "over which I never could see." With lines such as "I came in here for that special offer - guaranteed personality", the protagonist bemoans the depersonalisation of the world around him. The song speaks of numbers about suburban alienation, the feelings of disillusionment that come through youth in modern society.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: February 6, 2012 00:45

Only a redneck would have a problem with their politics.. Or maybe a (sweet) neocon

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 6, 2012 01:13

Bob C.
I respect the musical opinion of most of you, so let me ask. I think the Clash was extrealy overrated. However, every time I offer that opinion people look at me as if I am crazy.

They were the greatest band to have emerged in the last 35 years.

By some distance.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: February 6, 2012 02:39

Unbelievably great and they really were "the only band that matters" for a few glorious years. Joe Stummer was the real deal.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 6, 2012 02:48

I never much cared for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-06 02:50 by tatters.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 6, 2012 02:56

love the 1st Clash lp....raw & vital....got it the day it came out....really stood out back in '77

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 6, 2012 03:11

I like them and I think they are good and did some fine stuff. But not as good as some say.I mean how many really great albums have they done?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 6, 2012 08:56

They only released five albums, of varying levels of greatness, in their seven years together (1976-83, I don't acknowledge the post-Mick Jones years), but those albums filled eight LPs. The UK version of the first album and London Calling are among the best rock albums ever made by anyone. And they were incendiary onstage.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 6, 2012 09:09

If Joe had lived, he would sing Fukushima Calling.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 6, 2012 09:12

I really enjoy the two live albums. Especially the Live At Shea Stadium '82 album, but From Here To Eternity is really great too

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 6, 2012 15:51

great band, great music,great attitude.
love London Calling, and Sandinista especially
seen them only live once,in Amsterdam.
great memories
jeroen

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 6, 2012 15:53

By the time The Clash were known in the mainstream, MTV era ('83 or so), they were already over. If you knew them prior to that you were truly part of something special.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 6, 2012 16:20

I hate The Clash.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 6, 2012 16:28

R
By the time The Clash were known in the mainstream, MTV era ('83 or so), they were already over. If you knew them prior to that you were truly part of something special.

You are right, they went for the money after Sandinista.
Joe strummer was one of the Great Ones.
jeroen

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 6, 2012 16:31

corriecas
R

You are right, they went for the money after Sandinista.
Joe strummer was one of the Great Ones.
jeroen

They had no choice but to go for the money. Their "principles" had left them destitute and deeply in debt to Columbia.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 6, 2012 16:44

Gazza

By some distance.

I prefer The Jam, personally. The Clash were great, but IMO, Paul Weller is the greatest British songwriter to have emerged in the last 35 years.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 6, 2012 17:35

Love them. Wish I had seen them live but did catch BAD and Mescaleros.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:22

I always loved The Clash! Joe Strummer was a great frontman and also a stones fan.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:24

His Majesty
I hate The Clash.

You hate everything recorded post-1969!winking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:27

Gazza
Bob C.

By some distance.

Without a shadow of a fcuking doubt. The closest any group has ever come to The Stones as far as producing great music, in my book. In fact, when they brought out London Calling the Stones ceased to be the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world. Still great but not the greatest any more. It was all over and they never recovered their crown.

Date: February 6, 2012 18:29

His Majesty
I hate The Clash.

Strong emotion. What is it that you hate about them? Do you hate punk as well?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:45

London Calling has the ring of truth to it. Like The Band, the music feels lived in, but instead of the rural American South it is the east end of London. I find Strummer's in your face attitude about the US to be initially grating, but have come to realize he is right. I heard a tape of a festival performance held in the east of LA area. Strummer said words to the effect that here they are, in the heart of decadent America. I admire the bold words for your hosts. I love I'm So Bored With The USA. Sandinista reminds me of The White Album. Ambitious and mostly brilliant.

Date: February 6, 2012 18:55

pmk251
London Calling has the ring of truth to it. Like The Band, the music feels lived in, but instead of the rural American South it is the east end of London.

I think Mick Jones and co would be pretty pissed off at their music being called 'east end of London'. They were as west London as could be. East London was never really big into reggae back then, more soulboy. The Clash's music was famously the sound of the Westway...the sub-motorway flyover that stretches from Edgware Road to White City.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 6, 2012 19:00

Silver Dagger
pmk251
London Calling has the ring of truth to it. Like The Band, the music feels lived in, but instead of the rural American South it is the east end of London.

I think Mick Jones and co would be pretty pissed off at their music being called 'east end of London'. They were as west London as could be. East London was never really big into reggae back then, more soulboy. The Clash's music was famously the sound of the Westway...the sub-motorway flyover that stretches from Edgware Road to White City.

Interesting. I defer to your opinion SD. You would know better than I. I always associated the band's music with the east end which is the working class end of town, no?

Date: February 6, 2012 19:12

pmk251
Silver Dagger
pmk251

Interesting. I defer to your opinion SD. You would know better than I. I always associated the band's music with the east end which is the working class end of town, no?

The east end was and still is the poorest part of London and the area that saw the most bombing in the Second World War because of its proximity to the London docks. West and South London were the areas that had the most West Indian immigrants who arrived c.1947 and brought with them vibrant Calypso music which gave way to ska, rocksteady and then reggae. The area where Mick and Paul grew up, Ladbroke Grove and Portobello Road was particularly great for reggae clubs and record shops. Theyw ould have heard great music from other kids at their schools.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 6, 2012 19:48

I liked Punk!

Was in London after Knebworth/76 tour when it all started in the clubs and on the streets.Saw some great bands.It's been an earthquake musically but it had to happen. There was a great sense of something exiting, new in the air everywhere.
Some of the early bands were even playin Stones covers.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 6, 2012 20:44

CousinC
I liked Punk!

Some of the early bands were even playin Stones covers.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1060
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home