Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Out of step on the Clash
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 6, 2012 21:07

Hi Bob !

<the Clash was extremaly overrated<< ?
I disagree .

I was in the audience at the 5/5/81 Clash concert at Palais des Sports ,Lyon, France.

One of my best concert .
I remember when the crowd went wild and some of us climbed on the stage while the Clash were still playing .

If I am not mistaken ,at the end of the gig, Joe Strummer sang ‘Lyon’s burning’ instead of ‘London’s burning’…

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-06 21:09 by SwayStones.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 6, 2012 21:40

Silver Dagger

The east end was and still is the poorest part of London and the area that saw the most bombing in the Second World War because of its proximity to the London docks. West and South London were the areas that had the most West Indian immigrants who arrived c.1947 and brought with them vibrant Calypso music which gave way to ska, rocksteady and then reggae. The area where Mick and Paul grew up, Ladbroke Grove and Portobello Road was particularly great for reggae clubs and record shops. Theyw ould have heard great music from other kids at their schools.

Top info, Silver Dagger! thumbs up

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 6, 2012 22:01

Anyone is the Nashville area go to The Basement on Feb 25 (sat) for Tommy Womack's Clash tribute band "Tommy Gun"-all your Clash favorites!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 6, 2012 22:18

R
By the time The Clash were known in the mainstream, MTV era ('83 or so), they were already over. If you knew them prior to that you were truly part of something special.

I think The Clash were pretty well known to the mainstream before the MTV era. All of their albums charted, but I think "Combat Rock" did better because it had their biggest radio hits in "Rock The Casbah" and "Should I Stay Or Should I Go". Their debut album was, at the time, the best selling import of all time in the U.S.

So they weren't some underground band up until MTV. It may have helped them, but I think "Combat Rock" would have been their most commercially successful album with or without MTV just because of the radio friendly singles. All of their albums had gone either gold or platinum to that point though.

"Combat Rock" is still a great album. Yes, they were falling apart, but there are still some great songs on it.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 6, 2012 22:28

Big Al
Silver Dagger

The east end was and still is the poorest part of London and the area that saw the most bombing in the Second World War because of its proximity to the London docks. West and South London were the areas that had the most West Indian immigrants who arrived c.1947 and brought with them vibrant Calypso music which gave way to ska, rocksteady and then reggae. The area where Mick and Paul grew up, Ladbroke Grove and Portobello Road was particularly great for reggae clubs and record shops. Theyw ould have heard great music from other kids at their schools.

Top info, Silver Dagger! thumbs up

Parts of West London were definitely 'working class' when I lived there in the 70s in Ladbroke Grove. I appreciate the Clash more now than I did then, I was more of a Pistols man.

While never a punk myself I did love the era. Hanging round in Kensington indoor market buying singles on spec, seeing shops raided for having Pistols album covers in their windows the woman in my record shop who was always nice to me almost throwing Anarchy in the UK at me saying 'what do you want that for? and of course Bill Grundy. Happy days.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 6, 2012 22:50

I agree with you, Bob C.

Can't say I've heard a lot of their stuff but what I have heard doesn't make me want ot seek out any more.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 6, 2012 22:51

Gazza
They were the greatest band to have emerged in the last 35 years.

By some distance.

Better than Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Nirvana, U2, Ramones, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Oasis etc.???

LOL

Date: February 6, 2012 23:58

Youngie
Gazza

By some distance.

Better than Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Nirvana, U2, Ramones, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Oasis etc.???

LOL

It's all subjective obviously. The only band on that list I have a hard time personally saying wasn't as good as The Clash is Nirvana. Because I think they were brilliant and highly influential, but I think The Clash were much more diverse.

I know some people might have a hard time with The Clash vs Ramones. While the Ramones might have been more important and influenced more people, I can't get past the overly simplistic music. The Clash were definitely way better musicians, and I think their music was much more diverse. So many Ramones songs sound alike, and while Johnny's "buzzsaw" technique was very influential, it is probably the most simple thing somebody can do with a guitar. Johnny couldn't even play guitar solos, producers and session musicians had to play them. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they never really pushed themselves or evolved as a band or musicians.

Date: February 7, 2012 00:12

I've no problem with someone (i.e. Gazza) saying the Clash might have been one of the best bands to have emerged in the last 35 years but saying the following (as if it's gospel truth) is just plain stupid:

"They were the greatest band to have emerged in the last 35 years.

By some distance."

Funny too.

NoCode: I agree with you that the Clash were individually better musicians than the Ramones & that many Ramones songs sound alike.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2012 00:23

Youngie
I've no problem with someone (i.e. Gazza) saying the Clash might have been one of the best bands to have emerged in the last 35 years but saying the following (as if it's gospel truth) is just plain stupid:

By some distance."

Funny too.

NoCode: I agree with you that the Clash were individually better musicians than the Ramones & that many Ramones songs sound alike.

Youngie, in a way you're right, as this is simply a matter of taste. Saying that, the Clash is actually the best band to have emerged in the last 35 years.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 7, 2012 00:28

Youngie
Gazza

By some distance.

LOL

Yes. Easy choice for me as I personally hate heavy rock/metal and whilst I like Oasis, U2 and The Ramones I think they're all a bit overrated or have over-achieved as there hasnt been much competition.

Youngie

By some distance."

Funny too.

Imagine basing the term 'greatest' on personal taste, eh? Do you have another barometer which is more appropriate?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 00:31 by Gazza.

Date: February 7, 2012 00:35

treaclefingers
Youngie, in a way you're right, as this is simply a matter of taste. Saying that, the Clash is actually the best band to have emerged in the last 35 years.

LOL. If you've believe that then that's your problem.

Gazza
Imagine basing the term 'greatest' on personal taste, eh? Do you have another barometer which is more appropriate?

Yeah you hate heavy rock/metal. That's fine. And having personal taste is great but maybe you should have made yourself clear by saying:

"They were the greatest band to have emerged in the last 35 years in my opinion"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 00:42 by Youngie.

Date: February 7, 2012 00:43

Youngie
treaclefingers

Gazza

Yeah you hate heavy rock/metal. That's fine. And having personal taste is great but maybe you should have made yourself clear by saying:

"They were the greatest band to have emerged in the last 35 years in my opinion"

One's opinion is the only way to measure such a comment that isn't based on proof as far as I'm aware. Even yours. I would have thought that obvious enough that it didnt have to be quantified. Thanks for the English lesson, all the same.

Incidentally, read the opening post in this thread. Opinions are precisely what is asked for.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 00:46 by Gazza.

Date: February 7, 2012 00:52

Yes Gazza but the way you said that statement of yours was fact rather than opnion surely?

Anyway you don't like hard rock? Couldn't you possibly classify the Clash as hard rock? For instance Iron Maiden started out as a punk band and evolved into a metal band but the "elements" were the same.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 7, 2012 00:53

One of the best band ever. By the way they were opening for The Who during their 1982 US "farewell" tour.

Date: February 7, 2012 01:04

>Yes Gazza but the way you said that statement of yours was fact rather than opnion surely?

No...its opinion. Which is what I was asked for. Pretty much anything I post on here that isn't proven is just that. Anyway, its hardly worth falling out over. smiling smiley

>Anyway you don't like hard rock?

In small doses. ACDC, Zeppelin, but not much else, to be honest.

>Couldn't you possibly classify the Clash as hard rock? For instance Iron Maiden started out as a punk band and evolved into a metal band but the "elements" were the same.

I'll take your word for it as I'm not familiar with their early stuff (or much of their later stuff either, to be fair). I wouldnt really classify The Clash as just a punk band (and I'm not much of a punk fan, either), and certainly not hard rock. Their diversity was a large part of their appeal to me. Great reggae band IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 01:05 by Gazza.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2012 01:17

Youngie
treaclefingers

Gazza

I'm half joking of course....but how is thinking they're the best in the last 35 years, my problem?

Not sure I get where that would actually be a problem?

Date: February 7, 2012 02:13

Gazza

One's opinion is the only way to measure such a comment that isn't based on proof as far as I'm aware. Even yours. I would have thought that obvious enough that it didnt have to be quantified. Thanks for the English lesson, all the same.

Actually there is an official Blue Book for bands that assigns a value to each band and gives them a ranking which can't be argued.

According to it, the greatest band of the past 35 years is Hansen. So you're all wrong.

Date: February 7, 2012 02:16

Phew. Could have been worse, it has to be said.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 7, 2012 02:21

I'm a early fan of CLASH and I agree with most of the comments.
The only other band that stuck my mind at that time was the RUTS with their great 1979 LP "The Crack", but this is another story...winking smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 02:24 by Honestman.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 7, 2012 02:45

NoCode0680
Gazza

Actually there is an official Blue Book for bands that assigns a value to each band and gives them a ranking which can't be argued.

According to it, the greatest band of the past 35 years is Hansen. So you're all wrong.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm BOP!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmaybe not!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 7, 2012 03:40

Youngie
Gazza

By some distance.

LOL

Absolutely positively.

Date: February 7, 2012 03:48

TeddyB1018
Youngie
Gazza

By some distance.

LOL

Absolutely positively.

'I don't believe it...'

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 7, 2012 03:51

They were truly the only band that mattered...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 7, 2012 04:20

Rollin' Stoner
love the 1st Clash lp....raw & vital....got it the day it came out....really stood out back in '77

As a band Elvis Costello and The Attractions could blow The Clash off the stage on any given night. And with Steve Nieve on board, they had more tools in their tool chest. But I agree that The Clash was a great band.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 7, 2012 04:24

Gazza
Youngie
treaclefingers

Gazza

Incidentally, read the opening post in this thread. Opinions are precisely what is asked for.

What is the deal about forcing people to add "in my opinion" to their, um...opinions? Nobody is saying that such-and-such a band is the greatest has been empiracally proven in a laboratory. Obviously we are stating opinions, imo.

Date: February 7, 2012 05:15

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 7, 2012 12:26

"Paper Planes" by M.I.A. samples the Clash's "Straight to Hell", was nominated for
the 2009 grammies record of the year, and was included on the Slumdog soundtrack.
She does the Clash proud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 12:32 by superrevvy.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 7, 2012 12:28

I didn't catch it if anyone on this thread mentioned that Keith Richards
is/was a Clash fan. So I'm mentioning it. He said so in one of his
Some Girls deluxe interviews.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 7, 2012 13:42

The clash were brilliant and so chuffed i went to see them live, great experience and concert.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1110
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home