Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Out of step on the Clash
Posted by: gwen ()
Date: February 10, 2012 10:37

NoCode0680
I love the way he digested Bruce Lee movies

Didn't he wear a Game Of Death outfit in Rude Boy?

Date: February 10, 2012 10:54

NoCode0680
keefriffhard4life

now you have me wanting to buy it lol. i don't know how i missed it ever getting released in the first place.

anyone think another live album will ever get released?

Depends on what material they have I guess. This concert wasn't known to exist until Joe Strummer found it while packing for a move. I don't know if they recorded all their concerts or what. I would certainly love to see more, but who knows.

I'd definitely get it if I were you. It might not be the BEST representation of The Clash, but it's the ONLY full show of theirs, and one of only two live albums. I personally thing they sound great on it though others disagree. But as with all music you'll have to make up your own mind. It's not that expensive though, so I'd just get it.

does it come in a jewel case or a digipak? makes a difference how i want it shipped to me

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 10, 2012 11:09

keefriffhard4life
NoCode0680
keefriffhard4life

now you have me wanting to buy it lol. i don't know how i missed it ever getting released in the first place.

Depends on what material they have I guess. This concert wasn't known to exist until Joe Strummer found it while packing for a move. I don't know if they recorded all their concerts or what. I would certainly love to see more, but who knows.

I'd definitely get it if I were you. It might not be the BEST representation of The Clash, but it's the ONLY full show of theirs, and one of only two live albums. I personally thing they sound great on it though others disagree. But as with all music you'll have to make up your own mind. It's not that expensive though, so I'd just get it.

does it come in a jewel case or a digipak? makes a difference how i want it shipped to me

Mine is in a jewel case, but there is a deluxe edition that's a digipak and comes with a 24 page booklet.

Date: February 10, 2012 11:34

NoCode0680
keefriffhard4life
NoCode0680
keefriffhard4life

Mine is in a jewel case, but there is a deluxe edition that's a digipak and comes with a 24 page booklet.

thanks. i 'll just order the jewel case edition

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 11:35 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 10, 2012 14:42

Silver Dagger
What a load of rubbish. Steve Jones is a great power chord guitar player. I don't think Dylan would have hired him if he wasn't. And Matlock is a pretty nifty melodic bass player who learned his licks from Macca and Ronnie Lane. Agree that Sid was total shite. Paul Cook is also a competent drummer.

The word is average (at best). They were no Led Zeppelin or The Who tongue sticking out smiley

Not that I dislike The Pistols. They wrote some good songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 14:43 by Youngie.

Date: February 10, 2012 14:45

ab
The Clash didn't play so well in the beginning. There are plenty of early boots of theirs where they're out of tune as all hell, but get by on energy

That's "punk" for you grinning smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 10, 2012 14:52

Brit-punk is The Clash Sham 69 The Exploited and early Stiff Little Fingers...any of you know any other real punk-bands from UK?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 10, 2012 17:39

Come On
Brit-punk is The Clash Sham 69 The Exploited and early Stiff Little Fingers...any of you know any other real punk-bands from UK?
Stiff Little Fingers are from Ireland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 17:57 by Rollin' Stoner.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 10, 2012 20:44

Rollin' Stoner
Come On

They're from Belfast, so they're from the UK. Still going, too. There's still quite an active punk scene here for some reason.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:49

Belfast=Ireland.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:50

Come On

Buzzcocks

Date: February 10, 2012 20:51

Gazza
Rollin' Stoner
Come On

They're from Belfast, so they're from the UK. Still going, too. There's still quite an active punk scene here for some reason.
true...i was responding to the "brit punk" thing-a-ma-ging...i liked how Stiff Little Fingers evolved from a snotty, rebellious punk band into an excellent pop band...good to hear they're still going...also a big fan of the Undertones (another excellent irish band) first two lps.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 10, 2012 21:56

well still no suggestion of any other true (good) punk-bands from UK...excellent, I got it then....

2 1 2 0

Date: February 10, 2012 22:03

Come On
well still no suggestion of any other true (good) punk-bands from UK...excellent, I got it then....

I mentioned Buzzcocks. They weren't bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 22:03 by Youngie.

Date: February 10, 2012 22:05

Youngie
Come On

I mentioned Buzzcocks. They weren't bad.
i like the Buzzcocks..."Singles Going Steady" is a good place to start

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2012 00:32

Come On

DOA and Subhumans...but they are from Vancouver BRITISH Columbia

Date: February 11, 2012 00:34

Subhumans classic..."Slave To My Dick"

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 11, 2012 00:59

Youngie
Belfast=Ireland.

Belfast=Northern Ireland that forms part of the United Kingdom

Date: February 11, 2012 01:24

Ket

Last time I checked Belfast is in Ireland. North, South, East & West - it's all Ireland. As for the "United Kingdom" (LOL) if you want to believe it still exists go ahead...

Date: February 11, 2012 01:28

Youngie
Ket

Last time I checked Belfast is in Ireland. North, South, East & West - it's all Ireland. As for the "United Kingdom" (LOL) if you want to believe it still exists go ahead...

you sir, are an anarchist, or antichrist....arghhh....

Date: February 11, 2012 01:32

treaclefingers
you sir, are an anarchist, or antichrist....arghhh....

>grinning smiley<

It's the only way to be.

Date: February 11, 2012 01:34

Youngie
Ket

Yes, The UK still exists, I live in it and no you are wrong Norther Ireland is distinctly different from the Republic of Ireland. It part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther Ireland, not my opinion just a fact. It says so in my passport, Please educate yourself.

Date: February 11, 2012 01:38

Geographically Northern Ireland is in Ireland obviously.

The UK existed years ago. Now it's ancient history. Where is the unity in United Kingdom? Northern Ireland, Scotland (LOL)???

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 11, 2012 01:40

I like the Clash too. For me, they felt like the first band that was really "mine." All the other music I listened to came from my brothers or other people - but I felt The Clash belonged to me. I agree their range wasn't anything like the Stones - but that's a tough benchmark. For what they were, when they were, they were great. I still listen to them. And I love "All Lost in the Supermarket."
smoking smiley

Date: February 11, 2012 01:48

Youngie
Geographically Northern Ireland is in Ireland obviously.

The UK existed years ago. Now it's ancient history. Where is the unity in United Kingdom? Northern Ireland, Scotland (LOL)???

What the hell are you talking about? So the SNP are going to have a referendum on Scottish independence in 2014, what does that have to do with Nortehern Ireland??
and by the way the opinion polls still show the majority of Scots want to remain in the UK, why do you think the SNP are waiting 2 years bfore they put it to a vote.

Date: February 11, 2012 01:55

Ket
What the hell are you talking about? So the SNP are going to have a referendum on Scottish independence in 2014, what does that have to do with Nortehern Ireland??
and by the way the opinion polls still show the majority of Scots want to remain in the UK, why do you think the SNP are waiting 2 years bfore they put it to a vote.

I've upset you haven't I?

The "United Kingdom" was a nice idea for you guys in the ancient past but the reality is a bit different nowadays. Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales will want their independance. It's just a matter of time.

Anyway I must apologize to the board (but not to you) for going so far off topic.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 11, 2012 01:58

seitan
I know some people have a problem with their politics.

The band's music was charged by a leftist political ideology, they protested against monarchy and aristocracy; however, unlike many of their peers, they rejected punk nihilism. This was music with real hope for the future. The world needed angry, militaristic songs against Reaganism and Thatcherism, and against stupid consumerism. When most bands played only one style with no brains whatsoever, The clash did whatever they wanted - Along with smart punk songs, came songs with reggae, ska, dub, funk and disco grooves, with rap, dance, and rockabilly, you name it and the lyrics were spot on - This was a "Thinking Man's Band." - Love it Or Hate it.

HereĀ“s my fave: Lost In A supermarket. The song opens with Strummer's autobiographical memories of his parents' home in suburban Warlingham, with a hedge "over which I never could see." With lines such as "I came in here for that special offer - guaranteed personality", the protagonist bemoans the depersonalisation of the world around him. The song speaks of numbers about suburban alienation, the feelings of disillusionment that come through youth in modern society.

Co-sign this!
There was passion.
Their politics were rooted in a genuine sense of idealism and romanticism.
I don't like punk, never did. At the time, I was a kid in Texas who loved classic rock and the Stones, but most of the 'New Wave', 'Punk' of the late 70s, early 80s left me cold, depressed. Until the Clash.
The music, the lyrics, melodies, the themes....it all seemed to come from the heart, rather than a sense of nihilism or arrogance.
Like all young dreamers, they wore their beliefs on their sleeve - giving a shout-out to the Sandinistas, or identifying with Afghan rebels. Maybe, in retrospect, they were just another group of suburban kids who romanticized real-life revolution, but that didn't matter then and it doesn't now.
Because they had real heart and soul and they were the first 'modern' rock and roll band I felt close to.
To this day, the raggedy-edged sound of Joe Strummer's voice reminds me that I wasn't alone during those 'awkward teenage blues'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-11 02:01 by stupidguy2.

Date: February 11, 2012 02:12

Youngie
Ket

The "United Kingdom" was a nice idea for you guys in the ancient past but the reality is a bit different nowadays. Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales will want their independance. It's just a matter of time.
at least now you your expressing an opnion and not trying to pass it off as fact, mission accomplished at long last

Date: February 11, 2012 02:14

Ket
Youngie
Ket

at least now you your expressing an opnion and not trying to pass it off as fact, mission accomplished at long last

I wonder if Scotland is on the same separation plan as Quebec? You know the one, threaten to leave, have all businesses relocate to Toronto (London) and then have the vote fail.

Works like a charm for Quebec.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 11, 2012 04:10

treaclefingers
Ket
Youngie
Ket

I wonder if Scotland is on the same separation plan as Quebec? You know the one, threaten to leave, have all businesses relocate to Toronto (London) and then have the vote fail.

Works like a charm for Quebec.
Ever wonder why so many Scots moved to Nova Scotia? They heard the weather was worse.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home