Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 22 of 27
Re: Well the wait's over - new Bootleg: Hampton 81
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 2, 2012 12:01

KeithDaMan
stonesdan60
Justin
vermontoffender
I prefer the ancient form of weaving of 1981 to any guitar interplay between Keith and Mick "look at how many notes I can cram into a solo" Taylor.

haha. You made an ally out of me, vermontoffender...but you might make a few enemies with that zinger. I sense another 20 pages to this thread a comin'. Watch out!

I too am an ally. The term "weaving" gets mocked a lot around here, but to me that just shows that some people don't understand it. Keith and Ron toss licks and phrases to each other and if you listen - really listen, it's amazing. What sounds like a full lick or phrase is often one guy starting the phrase and then the other guy finishes it. Sort of like two people who know each other so well that they can finish each others sentences. This give and take, back and forth style of playing makes the Richards-Wood team my favorite guitar pairing in the Stones history. Not knocking Mick Taylor. He was a brilliant lead guitarist, but with him there was no - or rarely - any weaving. It was two distinct parts playing side by side. Taylor did his thing and Keith did his. Yes, it created much great music, witness Brussells, but I much prefer Richards - Wood, where the lines where blurred and so much musical interaction took place.

I must agree 100%. When I read some comments the last years on this board about Keith, Mick T and Ron W I began to doubt my judgement on this :-). And I love all 3 of them.

AGREE 100% WITH ALL ABOVE thumbs up

sc uk

Date: February 2, 2012 12:06

straycatuk
KeithDaMan
stonesdan60
Justin
vermontoffender
I prefer the ancient form of weaving of 1981 to any guitar interplay between Keith and Mick "look at how many notes I can cram into a solo" Taylor.

haha. You made an ally out of me, vermontoffender...but you might make a few enemies with that zinger. I sense another 20 pages to this thread a comin'. Watch out!

I too am an ally. The term "weaving" gets mocked a lot around here, but to me that just shows that some people don't understand it. Keith and Ron toss licks and phrases to each other and if you listen - really listen, it's amazing. What sounds like a full lick or phrase is often one guy starting the phrase and then the other guy finishes it. Sort of like two people who know each other so well that they can finish each others sentences. This give and take, back and forth style of playing makes the Richards-Wood team my favorite guitar pairing in the Stones history. Not knocking Mick Taylor. He was a brilliant lead guitarist, but with him there was no - or rarely - any weaving. It was two distinct parts playing side by side. Taylor did his thing and Keith did his. Yes, it created much great music, witness Brussells, but I much prefer Richards - Wood, where the lines where blurred and so much musical interaction took place.

I must agree 100%. When I read some comments the last years on this board about Keith, Mick T and Ron W I began to doubt my judgement on this :-). And I love all 3 of them.

AGREE 100% WITH ALL ABOVE thumbs up

sc uk

I don't think anyone mocks the term 'weaving', or the actual weaving itself. It's a wonderful thing. 78 and 81 are the epidemy of "The Great Weave'. It is just that the term has lost any kind of meaning. Keith has overused it, when describing the late era Stones guitars, which is silly and simply not true.

Date: February 2, 2012 12:09

It;s probably been posted already in this thread, but I think this is the last of the pre-89 era that we will see.
I think they are moving chronologically, and I had been predicting an 81 for this last release. It;s too bad because we had a chance to FINALLY get a 1970 recording; a good one.
And also some Brian era material; can you imagine a 67 tour recording?
Or even some studio outtakes?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 2, 2012 12:16

Ignoring the chronological thing, it would make sense if they released Leeds 1971 as this is a "tried and tested" bootleg like Hampton and Brussels

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 2, 2012 12:19

Loving it!

Date: February 2, 2012 12:28

WeLoveYou
Ignoring the chronological thing, it would make sense if they released Leeds 1971 as this is a "tried and tested" bootleg like Hampton and Brussels

Brussels wasn't "tried and tested"...

Date: February 2, 2012 12:36

DandelionPowderman
WeLoveYou

It wasn't?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 2, 2012 12:45

WeLoveYou
DandelionPowderman
WeLoveYou

It wasn't?

How could it had been? It had not been in circulation.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 2, 2012 13:07

DandelionPowderman
I'm blown away by the sound

Absolutely. So much better than my old beloved Swingin' Pig release.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: novica ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:11

Father Ted

Thanks Novica but how do I reimport the certificate?

on Google Chrome -> Options->Under The Hood -> HTTP/SSL click on Manage certificates

Internet Explorer ->Tools->Internet Options ->Content tab -Certificates.
you should check to see exactly which certificate is bad one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-02 14:13 by novica.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:12

71Tele
StonesTod
Koen
A-ma-zing...

This once again confirms it's all about the roll and the ancient form of weaving.

oh, dear. if those are the two things it's about, i need to find a new hobby.

Can we please ban the words "ancient" and "weaving"? This would save us having to ban actual people.

and "the roll"...let's not forget to ban that too. and, yes, i'd hate to see some otherwise perfectly acceptable posters dismissed....

Date: February 2, 2012 14:13

vermontoffender
The ancient form of weaving weaving of form ancient the form of weaving ancient the of weaving ancient form the weaving ancient form of ancient form of weaving the ancient of weaving the form ancient weaving the form of form of weaving the ancient form weaving the ancient of form the ancient of weaving form ancient of of weaving the of weaving the ancient form of the ancient form weaving of ancient form weaving the of form weaving the ancient weaving the ancient form of weaving ancient form of the weaving form of the ancient weaving of the ancient form.

The....Ancient....Form....Of.....Weaving.

Kicks ass.

i used to like vermont. was raised there and will now disavow that if ever asked about it.

Date: February 2, 2012 14:14

stonesdan60
I too am an ally. The term "weaving" gets mocked a lot around here, but to me that just shows that some people don't understand it.

actually, the overuse of the term shows that the gullible have bought into another of the myths keith likes to perpetuate....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:15

More like the ancient fart of heaving.

Date: February 2, 2012 14:16

whitem8
More like the ancient fart of heaving.

you said ancient. please.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:17

Gazza
It's f**king brilliant.

Best ever version of Let It Bleed IMO and Just My Imagination just goes on and on for about ten minutes and you wish it wouldn't end.

wow...it must be good because Just My Imagination is normally a piss break for me...
downloading now...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:23

Eleanor Rigby
Gazza
It's f**king brilliant.

Best ever version of Let It Bleed IMO and Just My Imagination just goes on and on for about ten minutes and you wish it wouldn't end.

wow...it must be good because Just My Imagination is normally a piss break for me...
downloading now...

You should be able to find the video of it on youtube as well, while you wait!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:27

Love it! Great quality, and a stellar band!

Date: February 2, 2012 14:40

So is the new download better than the best boot of Hampton?

My old boot sounds pretty thick, deep and crisp.

Date: February 2, 2012 14:42

Glam Descendant
WeLoveYou
DandelionPowderman
WeLoveYou

It wasn't?

Neither had Hampton. It's already been discussed here - by tried and tested I mean a bootleg that is well know and popular, like Hampton and Brussels.

Date: February 2, 2012 14:49

steel driving hammer
So is the new download better than the best boot of Hampton?

My old boot sounds pretty thick, deep and crisp.

Yes, it is. And at that price, it's a no-brainer to get it anyway.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:54

It's a good deal for sure. Nice sound and price. Only complaint is no A-Train, and of course no El Mocambo.

Date: February 2, 2012 14:59

Not getting these 'its not El Mocambo' complaints. No one hinted or suggested it would be the next release apart from a few fans who got it into their heads that it might/should/would be. There's no one else to blame for that disappointment. And, last time I looked, this isn't going to be the last of these archive releases. They might still issue it. Assuming the tapes are usable (which isn't a given)

Date: February 2, 2012 15:03

They said it would be a cracker.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 2, 2012 15:06

WeLoveYou
Glam Descendant
Neither had Hampton. It's already been discussed here - by tried and tested I mean a bootleg that is well know and popular, like Hampton and Brussels.

er ... terminology: by "in circulation" people mainly mean "as a bootleg". so yes, Hampton has been in circulation as a bootleg;
but the second Brussels show (which makes up most of the official Brussels release) had not been in circulation
(except a few numbers in direly low fidelity).

Date: February 2, 2012 15:13

Erik_Snow
with sssoul
... until further notice i'll even keep believing that's Bill's silhouette on the left
while the Mick vamps it up in his 1973 eyeshadow

Really, with Sssoul ? You think so ? It looks like Mick to me. Let me see if I find the original photo somewhere...

i'm not at all sure, Erik honey! i reckon that silhouette could be either Bill or Mick -
i'm just hoping it's Bill

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 2, 2012 15:15

Gazza
Not getting these 'its not El Mocambo' complaints. No one hinted or suggested it would be the next release apart from a few fans who got it into their heads that it might/should/would be.

You're right Gazza. What I should have said is I wished for something rare like El Mocambo. Still, this is a good release. And yes there are four more coming, there may be hope.

Date: February 2, 2012 15:22

steel driving hammer

and it is.

Dont think they can be sued under the trades descriptions act there!

Maybe by 'cracker' they were hinting that it took place around Christmas. Which it did.

Date: February 2, 2012 15:30

frankotero
Gazza
Not getting these 'its not El Mocambo' complaints. No one hinted or suggested it would be the next release apart from a few fans who got it into their heads that it might/should/would be.

You're right Gazza. What I should have said is I wished for something rare like El Mocambo. Still, this is a good release. And yes there are four more coming, there may be hope.

Its certainly top of my wish-list too. I wouldnt assume its a nailed-on cert, though. Apparently the tapes from the first night werent usable for the live album, so I hope that the entire second night is releasable.

I really think we've done pretty well out of this. I hold my hands up and admit I'm at the front of the queue down the years for calling them out as being rip-off merchants caring little or nothing about their legacy - but considering what we've got in the last four months, I have to give them a lot of credit for making the effort and/or entrusting these archive shows to people who know what they're doing and who care about it. Additionally, the price of these releases is very fan-friendly by anyone's standards and amazingly so considering the Stones' own track record for shameless gouging in recent years.

Six archive releases in a year - all for the price of a decent lunch. That's pretty good in my book.

Date: February 2, 2012 15:38

steel driving hammer

well, they couldn't very well say it would be a hampton, could they :E

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 22 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home