Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 27
Re: Well the wait's over - new Bootleg: Hampton 81
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 1, 2012 05:49

Munichhilton
NoCode0680
Munichhilton

Yeah. I believe yours is seamless...but I don't understand why.
I downloaded both ways just to check. Testing it in TLH it says that 34 frames have been added to each track. Convert to Wav...fix sector boundary errors and fix N Sector by 'shift forward' and it still has pops. The only thing I haven't done is play it on iTunes as I don't have iTunes. Also interesting is this...in the Google Music player online where I purchased it, HTW is 2:43 and after download its 2:42...plus the gaps are bigger in their player

I don't know whats going on.
I have lost interest in trying to fix it anymore.

and now the positive note:
What a great mix!

I just listened to it on Google Music, and yeah there are gaps there. Maybe you should try using iTunes, maybe the reason mine has no gaps is because iTunes does that "gapless playback" thing or whatever. I don't know if that's why, but no gaps there when I listen. And it doesn't have them on the CD I burned with iTunes.

Excellent
That's the key....burn to CD with iTunes and then re-rip.
That's a good workaround, although a shame to have to do.

Thanks gents...I encountered the same issue when I had burnt my disc using Windows Media Player. Burnt it on Itunes and it plays seamlessly straight through with no tiny pops going from track to track.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: February 1, 2012 05:54

"Take the money and run"? Huh? I mean, it's fine to dislike an entire tour, but you should refine your reasoning to actually correspond to the truth. Take a look at the average set list and length of shows in '81 and compare it to other tours.

The Stones were putting on lengthy shows in '81. If you don't dig the sound, that's your deal but get your facts straight.

Or not....I forgot; opinion is king on this board. Facts be damned.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 1, 2012 06:14

Get my facts straight? I was there in 1981, I saw it. Cherry pickers, lemon yellow tights, scarf tricks, crummy set list. If you think She's So Cold and Let Me Go weren't played at hyper speed then we aren't even on the same planet let alone page.
And as some one else mentioned,as good as the Some Girls tracks were live in 1978, they sounded lifeless and uninspired in 1981. THE WORST STONES TOUR EVER!!!!

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 06:26

donvis
THE WORST STONES TOUR EVER!!!!

In your opinion.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 06:28

donvis
Get my facts straight? I was there in 1981, I saw it. Cherry pickers, lemon yellow tights, scarf tricks, crummy set list. If you think She's So Cold and Let Me Go weren't played at hyper speed then we aren't even on the same planet let alone page.
And as some one else mentioned,as good as the Some Girls tracks were live in 1978, they sounded lifeless and uninspired in 1981. THE WORST STONES TOUR EVER!!!!

I can understand not liking several of those things, but it doesn't really point to "taking the money and running", perhaps just losing site over what's most important... the music. Though the music sounds pretty good on the bootleg to me. The cherry pickers and stuff like that are just an attempt to wow the audience and entertain, making it something to remember. Although obviously not everybody remembers it fondly. Lots of bands play their songs faster live, don't know why. But as long as they still play a long set, it's not like they're just trying to play fast and get off stage. I don't know about every show that tour, but the Hampton show is over 2 hours long. I've seen band half the Stones age play for half that long. I saw a Red Hot Chili Peppers show that clocked in at just under an hour. To me that's taking the money an running.

The lemon yellow tights, well I think we can chalk that up to the 80's. Crummy Set List is an opinion, not a fact.

And of course the Some Girls tracks were going to sound better in '78 than on later tours, they were having fun with them because they were new and they were really trying to sell them to the audience. I think the Tattoo You tracks sound pretty inspired on this bootleg, because it's the new stuff and they enjoy playing it. Neighbours is especially good IMO

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 1, 2012 06:30

I don't understand the "crummy set list" complaints; almost half the set had never been performed on a Stones tour before (@ a dozen at the average show), and some had not been performed in over a decade. What's crummy about that? I wish they'd give us a tour like that now.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 1, 2012 06:33

lamemodem2
donvis
THE WORST STONES TOUR EVER!!!!

In your opinion.

'81 is not my personal favorite, but it was far from the worse tour. At least it was still the fully-constituted Rolling Stones with Bill Wyman, rather than the four remaining members (three original) plus a cast of thousands that came later. I'll take the warts and all of '81 over the "professionalism" of the more recent tours any day.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 06:42

donvis

Yeah, I agree. And I was one of those kids who had recently discovered the Stones, so that tour has a certain nostalgia, but I was so disappointed when I heard the live stuff, some of it widely broadcast on the radio at the time, and then later on MTV, VH1 etc...
The lemon-yellow tights, the cherry picker, by-the-numbers performances, crappy sound, Jagger running all over the place barking out songs....that would be most identifiable image of the Stones throughout the 80s until Steel Wheels. For an entire decade, the 81 tour was the only live representation of the Stones in the mainstream. I got my fill then. The google release is great for those who want some kind of pristine audio quality, but artistic-wise, it was the start of the Stones as people came to see them throughout the 80s and 90s - old guys playing old songs. I know, that's cynical, but its the truth. That was the perception in the mainstream. It was also when the 'dinosaur' jokes really took off, when the Stones as a live act became ...less relevant to their times. Its not an accident that when RS listed the greatest live bands of all time sometime in the 90s, the Stones were way down on the list. Im not saying I agree, just that 81 image followed them - the Jovan, the OTT stage, the mammoth sponsorships etc...it kick-started the whole circus era, and that was Ahmet Urtegun's term, "circus".
Releasing this now is, I suppose, for all the collectors to finally get an official 'release' of an already widely known and accessible show. I get that.
But I would love to remind a new generation of music fans of the Stones when they were young, hungry and a little dangerous. The Exile release, L&G, Brussels helped to do that, and I predict more of that to come....
This was expected, so Ill just wait for the next one, and hope they go backwards.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 1, 2012 06:50

I just listened to the majority of it. I am not a huge fan of the 81 tour, but this is good stuff. It's sloppy for sure, doesn't have the intensity of Some Girls in Ft. Worth, but it's got the elements in place. Just wish I could figure out how to put the damn thing on cd (wait til it comes on piratebay and put it in my iTunes I suppose?).

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 1, 2012 07:31

I was disappointed by the set list. Where were the dark apocalyptic Stones songs that had a sense of menace? No Gimme Shelter, no Midnight Rambler (my favorite live song), no Sympathy For The Devil (which wasn't an overplayed warhorse at that point). The Some Girls songs wee uninspired. Neighbours, She's So Cold, and Let Me Go were played way too fast. I did enjoy Under My Thumb, Let's Spend The Night Together, Let It Bleed, Time Is On My Side, and Waiting on A Friend. But I would have preferred Chuck Berry covers over Twenty Flight Rock and Going To A Go Go. What was higher quality in terms of inspired performance, Brussels Affair, Some Girls Live in Texas, or Hampton 1981? I rest my case.

Date: February 1, 2012 07:37

theimposter
I just listened to the majority of it. I am not a huge fan of the 81 tour, but this is good stuff. It's sloppy for sure, doesn't have the intensity of Some Girls in Ft. Worth, but it's got the elements in place. Just wish I could figure out how to put the damn thing on cd (wait til it comes on piratebay and put it in my iTunes I suppose?).

When you open the album in Google Music there is a little arrow next to the album artwork, click on it and one of the option is to download the album to your computer. Alternately as you scroll over each song an arrow appears and lets you download each song individually, but it's easier to do the whole album.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 1, 2012 08:46

donvis
I was disappointed by the set list. Where were the dark apocalyptic Stones songs that had a sense of menace? No Gimme Shelter, no Midnight Rambler (my favorite live song), no Sympathy For The Devil (which wasn't an overplayed warhorse at that point). The Some Girls songs wee uninspired. Neighbours, She's So Cold, and Let Me Go were played way too fast. I did enjoy Under My Thumb, Let's Spend The Night Together, Let It Bleed, Time Is On My Side, and Waiting on A Friend. But I would have preferred Chuck Berry covers over Twenty Flight Rock and Going To A Go Go. What was higher quality in terms of inspired performance, Brussels Affair, Some Girls Live in Texas, or Hampton 1981? I rest my case.

Tracks like GS and MR where done to death -played at every shows from '69 to '76. I think it is just great the Stones somehow reinvented themselves a bit, nodding back to the past while still remaining a musically important outfit with the new songs.

And if you ask me what was the highest inspired performance, I'd say Hampton 81 anytime. Musically, as a band, the Stones have never been any better. It is the culmination of 20 years Stones.

Mathijs

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 1, 2012 08:53

Mathijs
donvis

Tracks like GS and MR where done to death -played at every shows from '69 to '76. I think it is just great the Stones somehow reinvented themselves a bit, nodding back to the past while still remaining a musically important outfit with the new songs.

And if you ask me what was the highest inspired performance, I'd say Hampton 81 anytime. Musically, as a band, the Stones have never been any better. It is the culmination of 20 years Stones.

Mathijs

Plus all those "dark songs" (which only seem to be 3: Shelter, Rambler, Sympathy) would have looked a bit odd on a pastel stage. New era, new decade, etc. Besides, they cut out the "dark" songs in '78, too.

Date: February 1, 2012 10:22

I think one has to remember it was only the beginning of the 80's. They were still experimenting with outdoor stadium shows - in daylight; in pastel colors.
I think they did exactly the 'right' setlist for those circumstances.

Date: February 1, 2012 10:23

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 10:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 1, 2012 10:27

WHY can't we download this in Europe by now???!

Posted by: Peterdv ()
Date: February 1, 2012 10:37

Dandelion Powderman
relax , we will be able to download it shortly..it's like Gazza and most certainly some others already said so, we will get it via Stones Archive within a day or 2 in flac, so no worries, we have been waiting for some 30years for this one to be released, so what would one or 2 days would do ...you'll get it..

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 1, 2012 10:43

NoCode0680
I've been a little surprised by some of the reaction here, but I understand it to some degree. Some people think that because they already have some old muddy bootleg of this, that's reason enough for this not to be released. Somebody else made a pretty good comment last night about how people think that this Archive Series should fill in the gaps in THEIR collection. To be honest, even if I had the bootleg I would have welcomed an actual release that sounds like a proper live album. I've been hoping for Back Strap Jacket, even though it's one of the few bootlegs I have.

The Archive Series is pay as you go. They didn't have you pay $40-$50 in advance and promise you something you'd never heard of then spring this on you. I can understand the anticipation, and wanting this or that. I have my own list of shows I wanted, and Hampton (or any '81 show) was not one of them. But for every bootleg they release there are going to be some people who wanted something else. I'm glad we're getting anything at all. If you didn't want this, or you think the bootleg you have is just as good, you don't have to buy it.

People have every right to gripe, and I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion. But some people have come across like they have a severe sense of entitlement. Some people consider this release almost a personal insult. But if they weren't disappointing you they'd be disappointing somebody else. Even for all the people saying they want El Mocambo there are those saying that we already have El Mocambo tracks on Love You Live. There is just no way to please everybody with only 6 releases. That is unless you just accept the Archive Series as a nice little surprise that the Stones sprung on us a few months ago, and it is what it is.

The bottom line is, if you want it your way, go to Burger King.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 10:51

Peterdv
Dandelion Powderman
relax , we will be able to download it shortly..it's like Gazza and most certainly some others already said so, we will get it via Stones Archive within a day or 2 in flac, so no worries, we have been waiting for some 30years for this one to be released, so what would one or 2 days would do ...you'll get it..

in 2 days you can get it for free somewhere on the internet. it's their fault
to miss making money if they release it like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 10:58 by falo01.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: February 1, 2012 10:54

GOO
a 1999 show would be nice

You taking a break from this thread would be nice....

Date: February 1, 2012 11:00

Peterdv
Dandelion Powderman

Yeah, I know, but I just can't wait to get one of my favorite shows in top quality.

The Brussels release came pretty much on the same day, although a little later, right?

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 11:00

{NoCode0680
I've been a little surprised by some of the reaction here, but I understand it to some degree. Some people think that because they already have some old muddy bootleg of this, that's reason enough for this not to be released. Somebody else made a pretty good comment last night about how people think that this Archive Series should fill in the gaps in THEIR collection. To be honest, even if I had the bootleg I would have welcomed an actual release that sounds like a proper live album. I've been hoping for Back Strap Jacket, even though it's one of the few bootlegs I have.

The Archive Series is pay as you go. They didn't have you pay $40-$50 in advance and promise you something you'd never heard of then spring this on you. I can understand the anticipation, and wanting this or that. I have my own list of shows I wanted, and Hampton (or any '81 show) was not one of them. But for every bootleg they release there are going to be some people who wanted something else. I'm glad we're getting anything at all. If you didn't want this, or you think the bootleg you have is just as good, you don't have to buy it.

People have every right to gripe, and I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion. But some people have come across like they have a severe sense of entitlement. Some people consider this release almost a personal insult. But if they weren't disappointing you they'd be disappointing somebody else. Even for all the people saying they want El Mocambo there are those saying that we already have El Mocambo tracks on Love You Live. There is just no way to please everybody with only 6 releases. That is unless you just accept the Archive Series as a nice little surprise that the Stones sprung on us a few months ago, and it is what it is.

The bottom line is, if you want it your way, go to Burger King.}

Well said. The whining here is ridiculous. Like you said - glad to see this one released? Buy it. Not thrilled? Don't buy it. Keep your pants on people, there will be other releases and probably in the long run, something for everyone. But the gripes? Ridiculous. "Waaa....I don't like Ernie Watts. He has a funny mustache. Waaaa....I don't like the guitar playing. They were better in Bumbugger Oklahoma at the show I saw. THAT'S the boot I want! Waaa....How can I listen to a recording that was done with Mick wearing pastel colors?" Geez. Calm down and wait for the next release. Maybe that one will be your personal Stones Nirvana. There will be several. Something's bound to please you. Then again some people here just seem to come here to complain about anything the Stones do.

Date: February 1, 2012 11:13

Well stonesdan I don't want to say anybody is whining, because when somebody is... let's say "stating a grievance", nobody likes to be called a whiner, and arguing gets us nowhere. And I can understand being disappointed in not getting what you hoped for. I think the key is to realize you aren't always going to be specifically catered to.

I honestly don't want to quote YCAGWYW here, or make a pun, but it's so hard, even though I'm making an effort not to.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2012 11:21

soulsurvivor1
1981? For me that was the absolute worst Rolling Stones ever. Sounds like the Stones on speed!

SOUL

Only on speed? In 81 they were also on coke, pot, freebase, moonshine...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 1, 2012 11:23

Of course everyone has a right to voice their opinion but it does become a little wearing to see every single release by the Stones picked apart to the nth degree. The 81/82 tour is certainly not my favourite by any stretch but I'll be buying Hampton, even though I already have the soundtrack and DVD, because I'm a fan.

This release should be a cause for celebration and we should be getting behind our band and supporting them. After all, we have not collectively moaned about the lack of archive releases for a long time? It is simply unrealistic and an unachievable task for a band with a 50 year touring history to please every one every time.

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 11:25

soulsurvivor1
1981? For me that was the absolute worst Rolling Stones ever. Sounds like the Stones on speed!

SOUL

You're right, for me to,in this tour, Jagger does'nt sing , just shout...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2012 11:28

Mathijs

Mathijs

I wouldn't perhaps rank Hampton '81 so high (but surely among the very best ever), but I like that description of "culmination of 20 years". I think that somehow marks the nature of 1981/82 tour altogether. They had been a living and breathing, that is, evolving band, for two decades and somehow they let all that experience - been there, done that - to be heard in their sound then. Yeah, in some cases they do sound sloppy and everything, but I think that is a part of the charm. Like "look kids, we don't need to prove anything to anyone anymore. We play just the way we want to.". In a sense there is huge difference to 1978 tour that still had that feeling of "now we need to show all those new bands who are the real rock and rollers and energy bombs". In 1981 they needn't need to prove anything at all; they were the biggest rock and roll band in the world without any real competition. A positively retro-sounding TATTOO YOU and "Start mre Up" was a great soundtrack for all that. I think the result is very stressless, unique sounding music that I find majestic and powerful. That sound and attitude charmed me very much in the early 80's. It had some nostalgia (based on rock and roll history, being legends) flavor sure but is was a fascinating part of their then current sound.

I think the contrast in attitude (to be heard in sound) is huge to 1989 - and any tour ever since - when they need to prove that they are as good as ever (before) - that it is the "Best Stones yet", etc. The new "professionalism" somehow kicked the attitude and balls out of the band. And besides, it was not any longer culmination of anything - they were not any longer a living and a breathing band in the sense they earlier were. Now they were a nostagia act milking out the past, sounding sometimes almost like a Rolling Stones cover band.

To me eyes The Stones achieved something "this is as far as this can naturally go" in 1981. Since then - starting in 1989 - they had just tried to make some kind of nostalgia reconstructions of the achievements of those 20 yaers. It really starts a new page in their story with a very different tone in it.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 11:30 by Doxa.

Date: February 1, 2012 11:37

Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

I wouldn't perhaps rank Hampton '81 so high (but surely among the very best ever), but I like that description of "culmination of 20 years". I think that somehow marks the nature of 1981/82 tour altogether. They had been a living and breathing, that is, evolving band, for two decades and somehow they let all that experience - been there, done that - to be heard in their sound then. Yeah, in some cases they do sound sloppy and everything, but I think that is a part of the charm. Like "look kids, we don't need to prove anything to anyone anymore. We play just the way we want to.". In a sense there is huge difference to 1978 tour that still had that feeling of "now we need to show all those new bands who are the real rock and rollers and energy bombs". In 1981 they needn't need to prove anything at all; they were the biggest rock and roll band in the world without any real competition. A positively retro-sounding TATTOO YOU and "Start mre Up" was a great soundtrack for all that. I think the result is very stressless, unique sounding music that I find majestic and powerful. That sound and attitude charmed me very much in the early 80's. It had some nostalgia (based on rock and roll history, being legends) flavor sure but is was a fascinating part of their then current sound.

I think the contrast in attitude (to be heard in sound) is huge to 1989 - and any tour ever since - when they need to prove that they are as good as ever (before) - that it is the "Best Stones yet", etc. The new "professionalism" somehow kicked the attitude and balls out of the band. And besides, it was not any longer culmination of anything - they were not any longer a living and a breathing band in the sense they earlier were. Now they were a nostagia act milking out the past, sounding sometimes almost like a Rolling Stones cover band.

To me eyes The Stones achieved something "this is as far as this can naturally go" in 1981. Since then - starting in 1989 - they had just tried to make some kind of nostalgia reconstructions of the achievements of those 20 yaers. It really starts a new page in their story with a very different tone in it.

- Doxa

Good analysis, but I wanna hear the 100 Club show from 1986 first, before I jump to conclusions winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2012 11:47

DP, I have no any evidence but a strong feeling that the 100 Club performance resembles more the "unprofessional" band of 1982 than that "professional" one of 1989...

- Doxa

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 1, 2012 11:51

DandelionPowderman
WHY can't we download this in Europe by now???!

It takes a little longer for the release for us Europeans, because Clearmountain spent more time on remastering the 100 Club show of 1982 than he did with Hampton 81.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1675
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home