Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How can I stop...
Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: January 29, 2012 05:08

I love this song so much, near the end, yes that's the ticket.
Charlie kicking in a little bit and that beautiful arrangement
at the end. How many bands could pull a song like that off?

Re: How can I stop...
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 29, 2012 07:08

I love this song too...I get bummed when I hear people disparage Bridges...I think it's got some great tracks on it - yeah maybe I agree with Bill German that it's almost like 2 separate albums - one that's Mick's and the other Keith's = but I love it just the same

You'll never make a saint outta me...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2012 07:24

How can I stop...

......... wear a cricket glove ta bed

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 29, 2012 08:12

A great track from a great album.

Date: January 29, 2012 13:56

Baby, maybe baby, just a further down, the road...

Great tune.

GREAT tune.

Less is more!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 29, 2012 14:55

memphiscats
I love this song too...I get bummed when I hear people disparage Bridges...I think it's got some great tracks on it - yeah maybe I agree with Bill German that it's almost like 2 separate albums - one that's Mick's and the other Keith's = but I love it just the same

You'll never make a saint outta me...

Yeah, I think it has the best individual tracks in the modern era, but the whole album is unfortunately too uneven to make it any a big, memorable album. It is collected awfully bad, probably for the reason you mentioned: it being based on two separete solo albums. Their most uncohesive album ever. The idea of closing a Stones album with two slow Keith numbers is such a terrible idea in the first place. No matter how wonderful "How Can I Stop" is, when the song finally stops one one has lot the idea that it actually is a Rolling Stones album... What the album shows is that both Mick and Keith seem to write better material when they are not consciously doing that for the Rolling Stones in their mind. And when they do, even collaborate, the result can be as horrible as "Mighty Get Juiced" (or how it s called): supposedly Keith's boring trad blues riff married with Mick's half-baked idea to make it more inersting by contempoaory mix. Simply awful. I think probably their worst sounding piece of music ever.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 14:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 29, 2012 16:10

Juiced worked rather well during its only live performance in NYC. Bridges is not a classic, but at least they tried out new ideas and performed new songs during the 97-99 tour. OOC was a highlight of these concerts, it could have become a warhorse if the Stones had not decided to become a nostalgia act in 2002 (not 2202).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 16:15 by windmelody.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 29, 2012 16:12

Doxa
, the result can be as horrible as "Mighty Get Juiced" (or how it s called): supposedly Keith's boring trad blues riff married with Mick's half-baked idea to make it more inersting by contempoaory mix. Simply awful. I think probably their worst sounding piece of music ever.

- Doxa

and for others like me, by far the best song on an otherwise uneven and ultimately forgettable album...

Date: January 29, 2012 16:13

windmelody
Juiced worked rather well during its only live performance in NYC. Bridges is not a classic, but at least they tried out new ideas and performed new songs during the 97-99 tour. OOC was a highlight of these concerts, it could have become a warhorse if the Stones had not decided to become a nostalgia act in 2202.

i didn't realize they had plans that far ahead, but, yeah, good call for them...they should definitely rest on their laurels at that point...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 29, 2012 16:14

Sorry, I will edit the post.

Date: January 29, 2012 16:16

windmelody
Sorry, I will edit the post.

please don't. it makes a good case for longevity and persistence...

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 29, 2012 16:31

Justin
A great track from a great album.

smileys with beer

Date: January 29, 2012 16:34

StonesTod
Doxa
, the result can be as horrible as "Mighty Get Juiced" (or how it s called): supposedly Keith's boring trad blues riff married with Mick's half-baked idea to make it more inersting by contempoaory mix. Simply awful. I think probably their worst sounding piece of music ever.

- Doxa

and for others like me, by far the best song on an otherwise uneven and ultimately forgettable album...

I don't if the irony is in your post or in the song, but in either case it goes beyond my comprehension... the song reminds me of ELECTRIC MUDDY experiment to 'modernize' the old blues format by recent tricks and sounds that are thought to be cool or contemporary. In both cases, the results sound not just unconvincing but embarrassing, with the "Juiced" failing even worse. Can't decide do they try make Jagger's vocals sound more like a cow or a sheep...

The live versions work better since, well, it is logically impossible to make it work any worse, or even repeat the result 'achieved' in the studio.

You see, I just don't like the song...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 16:35 by Doxa.

Date: January 29, 2012 16:36

Doxa

- Doxa

yeah. i got that from your first post. i'm a quick study.

Date: January 29, 2012 16:43

StonesTod
Doxa

- Doxa

Hmmm... I'm not that convinced that you really got it yet.. I need to think for awhile some further points, metaphors, analogies, refuted counter-examples, etc. to prove I am not joking here...

- Doxa

Date: January 29, 2012 16:47

Doxa
StonesTod
Doxa

- Doxa

Hmmm... I'm not that convinced that you really got it yet.. I need to think for awhile some further points, metaphors, analogies, refuted counter-examples, etc. to prove I am not joking here...

- Doxa

nobody jokes about the rolling stones. this is serious stuff.

Date: January 29, 2012 17:08

Doxa
The idea of closing a Stones album with two slow Keith numbers is such a terrible idea in the first place. No matter how wonderful "How Can I Stop" is, when the song finally stops one one has lot the idea that it actually is a Rolling Stones album...

This shows that you are a tad too rigid in your set thoughts of what a Rolling Stones album should sound like. It's genius. It works. And the only way it works is because of the two tracks being what they are, of course. Who knows what other Keith songs were done that they didn't use. What really cracks me up is here they were, three years plus after recording Voodoo Lounge and Keith pulls this one out? Don Was' attempt at making Voodoo sound 'retro' did not work at all yet Keith does this kind of, what, 1940s soul jazz song or whatever you want to call it, and it's more 'retro' in spirit, simply by being that kind of song, than anything on Voodoo was in theory.

Doxa
What the album shows is that both Mick and Keith seem to write better material when they are not consciously doing that for the Rolling Stones in their mind. And when they do, even collaborate, the result can be as horrible as "Mighty Get Juiced" (or how it s called): supposedly Keith's boring trad blues riff married with Mick's half-baked idea to make it more inersting by contempoaory mix. Simply awful. I think probably their worst sounding piece of music ever.

Very true. Might As Well Get Juiced is one of the worst Stones songs ever. It's up there with Rock And A Hard Place and Winning Ugly. I think the Keith riff is just some crap talk invention to sell it as 'contemporary'. Mick did a demo of it that they said they didn't need to change anything about. So that just says Keith's riff, if one really wants to bother even calling it that, is moot. It was all about the beat (which is lame and there is nothing significant about it at all) and the noise.

Date: January 29, 2012 17:56

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Doxa
The idea of closing a Stones album with two slow Keith numbers is such a terrible idea in the first place. No matter how wonderful "How Can I Stop" is, when the song finally stops one one has lot the idea that it actually is a Rolling Stones album...

This shows that you are a tad too rigid in your set thoughts of what a Rolling Stones album should sound like. It's genius. It works. And the only way it works is because of the two tracks being what they are, of course. Who knows what other Keith songs were done that they didn't use. What really cracks me up is here they were, three years plus after recording Voodoo Lounge and Keith pulls this one out? Don Was' attempt at making Voodoo sound 'retro' did not work at all yet Keith does this kind of, what, 1940s soul jazz song or whatever you want to call it, and it's more 'retro' in spirit, simply by being that kind of song, than anything on Voodoo was in theory.
yeah, it could be very well that any Rolling Stones record with two tracks and over ten minutes wihout that particulal instrument of theirs, Mick Jagger's voice, starts to make me feel that I've been cheated. Yeah, unique decision true - and that of having three Keith leaad vocals numbers in one record, as well. Yes, I can be very old-fashionable in that sense that I don't consider Keith Richards as the other lead vocalist of the Stones next to Mick Jagger, but a main guitarist who occasionally takes the microphone to sing lead. What used to be a great extra - Keith's solo song - now seems to developed to habit of its own, and taking a huge part of the band's repertuare, almost dividing it. Well, at least if we listen BRIDGES TO BABYLON. I think the compromise nature of that particular album consisting of two solo albums really hurts the balance and dynamics of the Stones. Its an oddity.

This doesn't mean I don't like Keith's songs. Quite contrary. Especially "How Can I Stop" is absolutely a great tune. But I am not happy how the album is collected. It is rather disappointing listening as a whole. I rather take the singular songs out of their context. Perhaps Keith should have done a nice Winos EP or something.

Your point about the "retro" is a good one. The retro for Don Was or Mick Jagger means something like trying to sound like an old Stones a'la EXILE, but for Keith it means going to more authentic sphere perhaps not much covered yet by him. In this sense he reminds me of 'modern' Dylan.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 17:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 29, 2012 18:07

sonyzzz
I love this song so much

Same here

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: January 29, 2012 18:10

Doxa
I think probably their worst sounding piece of music

Maybe you think too much

-------------------

Date: January 29, 2012 18:14

Rolling Hansie
Doxa
I think probably their worst sounding piece of music

Maybe you think too much

Now, that's something I haven't though about yet... I have to think about it... smoking smiley

- Doxa

Date: January 29, 2012 18:18

Doxa
I have to think about it

LOL no, please don't

-------------------

Date: January 29, 2012 18:26

Rolling Hansie
Doxa
I have to think about it

LOL no, please don't

No, I won't but I reformulated it for you:

"probably their worst sounding piece of music" =
"supposedly piece of music that the least resembles the wonderful, authentic, definitive music by The Rolling Stones"

Does that sound any better?winking smiley

- Doxa

Date: January 29, 2012 18:39

Doxa
Your point about the "retro" is a good one. The retro for Don Was or Mick Jagger means something like trying to sound like an old Stones a'la EXILE, but for Keith it means going to more authentic sphere perhaps not much covered yet by him. In this sense he reminds me of 'modern' Dylan.

Yes, absolutely and well put! That's it.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 29, 2012 18:42

I have to disagree Doxa. B2B is a good solid album. Those are three of Keith's best songs ever and they have a Stonesy feel to them at least to my ears. I rather like Might As Well Get Juiced as well I don't listen often but I like the song. Saint of Me is one of the better tunes of the last 25 years. I like the fact that Keith had three songs that he sang on the album. I think there were 12 or 13 songs so Mick is still singing most of them. The album is very good musically the Stones are really showing off on this album musically. Yes its not cohesive and all but that is part of what I like about it and they took some chances. The strongest album of the so called "Vegas" era which I think is a joke as well.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 29, 2012 19:31

I'm sorry, but I think Keith's ballads simply are boring. Someone must have told him that they are great. Well, not to my ears.

Date: January 29, 2012 21:14

Doxa
Rolling Hansie
Doxa
I have to think about it

LOL no, please don't

No, I won't but I reformulated it for you:

"probably their worst sounding piece of music" =
"supposedly piece of music that the least resembles the wonderful, authentic, definitive music by The Rolling Stones"

Does that sound any better?winking smiley

- Doxa

It's in the top 5 worst easy.

Date: January 29, 2012 21:19

Doxa
Does that sound any better?

The song still sounds good to me smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 29, 2012 21:25

Keith's ballads are a highlight of latter-day Stones albums from Sleep Tonight through to Infamy.

Do you think the producers of The Sopranos had cloth ears ? They thought, as most, that Thru & Thru was an excellent track.

Ok: so Thru & Thru is excellent: How Can I stop is beyond excellent. Another thing, I don't think Wayne Shorter has ever played on rubbish, and he'd know if something was dire.

Date: January 29, 2012 21:39

Stoneage
I'm sorry, but I think Keith's ballads simply are boring.

then why are YOU apologizing? shouldn't that be from keith?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home