Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sticky Fingers Re-release, Bonus Tracks, Super Deluxe Box ??
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: January 27, 2012 15:02

How likely is this to happen? Would love to have my favorite Stones album getting the same treatment as Ya-Ya's, Exile and Some Girls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-27 15:03 by DiscoVolante.

Re: Sticky Fingers Re-release, Bonus Tracks, Super Deluxe Box ??
Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 27, 2012 15:06

My guess is that, if there were to be a Sticky Fingers box, it would have been released last year to coincide with its 40th Anniversary. Besides, the worthwhile outtakes were probably used for Exile.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 27, 2012 15:15

I am sorry but I am cynical on this.

Nothing is going to happen this year, or the following year. There'll be no tour, no new album, nothing.

It's going to be another rudderless, drifting year, with both principals, i.e. Mick and Keith, both unwilling to break the band up.

All we'll be left with will be 3 or 4 downloads from the Archive website, and that will, alas, be our lot.

There's going to be a full flat out duck egg, a zero, and Sticky Fingers, and any other album, will not be reissued at all with extra tracks. The well that was Exile Deluxe, and Some Girls deluxe, has now been exhausted.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: January 27, 2012 15:21

Date: January 27, 2012 15:15

Nothing is going to happen this year, or the following year. There'll be no tour, no new album, nothing.

It's going to be another rudderless, drifting year, with both principals, i.e. Mick and Keith, both unwilling to break the band up.

All we'll be left with will be 3 or 4 downloads from the Archive website, and that will, alas, be our lot.

There's going to be a full flat out duck egg, a zero, and Sticky Fingers, and any other album, will not be reissued at all with extra tracks. The well that was Exile Deluxe, and Some Girls deluxe, has now been exhausted.

Anything to do with the Maya Calendar?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 27, 2012 15:27

According to the booklet that comes with the SG blu ray, there is a lot more material in the vaults due to be released. It might not be this year tho.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: January 27, 2012 15:30

Interesting idea but not sure if there's that much outtake wise. However an offical release of the Marquee on DVD and Leeds on CD would make up a nice box.

Unlikely to happen though.

Date: January 27, 2012 15:47

Sorry, Che.

It's not the Maya Calendar but the fact that, on previous occasions, we'd know if something was happening.

I know the Stones are a secretive bunch, but this really does feel to me like as if "The finishing end is at hand" (Bob Dylan).

I really do think we'd know by now if a tour, new album, reissues, unreleased material, would be in the offing.

With all due respect, we knew back in April last year that the remaining members of Pink Floyd intended to reissue certain albums with extra tracks, DVDs, etc, and that The Wall will be reissued in February 2012. It's the time-frame and logistics that suggest to me that we are going to get, thus, the sum total of zilch from the Stones.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: January 27, 2012 16:06

I can't imagine the Stones being passive on a historical year.
I believe the will milk their 50th aniversary.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: January 27, 2012 16:26

When Don Was was interviewed regarding the Some Girls Deluxe, he mentioned Sticky Fingers specifically as the next deluxe he'd like to do. Some Girls was only announced a few months before it was released, so I think it is pretty safe to say that no formal announcement at this point is meaningless in terms of determining when such a set would be available.

Date: January 27, 2012 16:38

ChefGuevara
I can't imagine the Stones being passive on a historical year.
I believe the will milk their 50th aniversary.

They have promised us five more releases from the vault. Hardly passive.

And there will be more... smiling smiley

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 27, 2012 20:53

UMG deal said three archive releases:after Exile and SG the third could be an outtakes Box of the "Don Was era '93/'05"...Sticky sessions are almost the same of Exile sessions and I don't think that this will be the next choice.
I wanna see a Box of Beggars and let it bleed with the complete "Olympic Studios" sessions, I wanna see also the "Chess sessions" too, but unfortunately this is all Abkco stuff, so we can only hoping for this!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 27, 2012 21:10

Father Ted
According to the booklet that comes with the SG blu ray, there is a lot more material in the vaults due to be released. It might not be this year tho.

But I think this is based on Eagle vision intentions later on, meaning DVDs - and that it has nothing to do with audio releases. Or does it?

A Beggars Banquet deluxe would be my 1st wish; especially since Decca maybe would approach the thing quite different than Rolling Stones has done with Exile and Some Girls. And since it's from the 60s - I doubt they'd do any overdubs either; it just would sound so out of place.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 27, 2012 21:40

ab
My guess is that, if there were to be a Sticky Fingers box, it would have been released last year to coincide with its 40th Anniversary. Besides, the worthwhile outtakes were probably used for Exile.

What are you basing this guess on?
Ya-Ya's was on its 39th anniversary.
Exlie was on it's 38th anniversary.
Some Girls was on its 33rd anniversay.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 27, 2012 21:45

Yes, I would assume that Eagle Vision would focus on DVD although given that they bundled a CD with their last release, perhaps its not out of the question that their contract permits some form of standalone audio releases in the future?

A Beggars deluxe edition would be amazing. There are certainly a few unreleased period tracks on boots like Time Trip Vol 3 that could fit well on the bonus CD.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: January 27, 2012 21:48

Why not a DVD of them in the studio (e.g. Goddards' films), etc, along with a deluxe BB CD ??

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 27, 2012 21:54

I don't think it's hard to imagine another re-issue this year. It's only January, just because we haven't heard something yet doesn't mean there can't be one. There's a whole year. How much heads up did we get for Brussels Affair? I don't know about you guys but I found out about it the day it came out, and from what I've been reading so did most other people.

Even though there might not be many unreleased songs from Sticky Fingers, doesn't mean they couldn't put something together. Some alternate takes, a concert CD, etc.

I honestly can't imagine Sticky Fingers not getting some special treatment, if Some Girls gets a box set, Sticky Fingers will obviously get one in my opinion. Like I said, might not be unreleased/new songs, but I've heard plenty of alternate takes. And I don't buy this stuff about how if we haven't heard about it by now it's not going to happen. The year has barely begun.

Date: January 27, 2012 22:09

Dewlover, NoCode0680

I think we'll see some more deluxe editions (if there is a god, he/she would do well to consider a Let It Bleed DE). Only they know the full extent of the vaults but my bet is that this year will be a year of plenty.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: January 27, 2012 22:49

I'm guessing we see a GHS 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition next year. There are several good outtakes from this era. I believe and expanded Sticky Fingers would be difficlut to license due to shared ownership with ABKCO. Perhaps that's not an issue now that Universal has the entire catelog under its unbrella.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 27, 2012 23:31

ajc68
I'm guessing we see a GHS 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition next year. There are several good outtakes from this era. I believe and expanded Sticky Fingers would be difficlut to license due to shared ownership with ABKCO. Perhaps that's not an issue now that Universal has the entire catelog under its unbrella.

The ABKCO thing isn't an issue anymore. Both ABKCO and Stones are distributed by Universal. There wasn't apperantly no problem with using outtakes from 1969 (and 1967) on the Exile Deluxe, either.

ABKCO has also lent a couple of Sticky Fingers tracks to the third Singles Box a few years ago and the Stones approved the 40th Anniversary Edition of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!

Both parties also collaborated on the two vinyl boxsets a couple of years ago, and Forty Licks was also done in collaboration.

No, it isn't an issue anymore...

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 27, 2012 23:46

tomcasagranda

Wow - this is a tough read - especially for a newbie like me - drifting - rudderless - let me jump aboard the Concordia/down the cyanide/ and keep the car running with garage door closed ... I'm taking off Exile and putting on the most depressing Neil Young I can find...NO ROCKS OFF TODAY.angry smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2012 23:51

... I'm taking off Exile and putting on the most depressing Neil Young I can find...

..... But hey if ya wanna get really depressed go for Dylan's Time Out Of Mind

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 28, 2012 00:29

jamesfdouglas
ab

What are you basing this guess on?
Ya-Ya's was on its 39th anniversary.
Exlie was on it's 38th anniversary.
Some Girls was on its 33rd anniversay.

The Stones aren't the only musicians making box sets devoted to a single album. The releases of many such boxes are pegged to coincide with round number anniversaries (e.g., Achtung Baby and Nevermind for the 20th, Pet Sounds for the 30th, Bitches Brew and Aqualung for the 40th, Smile for the 45th, Kind of Blue for the 50th, the King Crimson 40th Anniversary series, etc.). My guess (entirely speculation) is based on the practices of other musicians and their record companies.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 28, 2012 01:50

Rockman
... I'm taking off Exile and putting on the most depressing Neil Young I can find...

..... But hey if ya wanna get really depressed go for Dylan's Time Out Of Mind
That might do the trick - or perhaps some Phil Ochs...or commit complete sound suicide to something like Barry Mannilow - no wait - the cyanide is easier to swallow.

Date: January 28, 2012 06:11

Father Ted
Yes, I would assume that Eagle Vision would focus on DVD although given that they bundled a CD with their last release, perhaps its not out of the question that their contract permits some form of standalone audio releases in the future?

I would be elated if that is the case! That video/CD release was excellent! As far as live releases go that would be wonderful if there were more, of course!

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: January 28, 2012 08:11

If they put the same amount of effort into Sticky Fingers as they did the Some Girls release, I'd rather they left it well alone. Exile was great but with Some Girls it seemed pretty obvious that they didn't put much effort into it and just put it out there for the sake of making money. If they put the same effort as Some Girls, I would feel the same if it was Sticky Fingers or Dirty Work. Instead of doing something like Plundered my Soul to I Need You, we got a bunch of tracks that we've all pretty much heard.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 08:18

I believe it is the exact opposite. Exile seemed to be a hodge podge of stuff dating from Let it Bleed. With Some Girls, there was more consistency, which is because most of the bonus stuff was actually from those sessions. There is no doubt they could do a really special Sticky Fingers if they had the creative team and inspiration to pull it off. A big box set celebrating the birth of Rolling Stones Records. Have a nice book with the layouts and test prints for the tongue. Big glossy photos from the album shoot and unreleased stuff from Wharhol. Have a live show from 70. Have several alternate takes. Have different mix options. Have a facsimile of the Spanish album with Let it Rock. Release it in stereo and Mono. And on blue ray. They could do very well to look at Bowie's Station to Station Super Deluxe box set, and do something in that vein. Have posters and glossy 12 x 5 s of the band, promo shots from the fan club. Have their English tour schedule on a map with photos. Have a DVD of the Marquee Club show, cleaned up and in DTS. Have USB Tongue with the album in 24 bit with extra art work and a documentary, all in a massive box. They could really do something special if they had the mind to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-28 08:19 by whitem8.

Date: January 28, 2012 17:05

whitem8
I believe it is the exact opposite. Exile seemed to be a hodge podge of stuff dating from Let it Bleed. With Some Girls, there was more consistency, which is because most of the bonus stuff was actually from those sessions. There is no doubt they could do a really special Sticky Fingers if they had the creative team and inspiration to pull it off. A big box set celebrating the birth of Rolling Stones Records. Have a nice book with the layouts and test prints for the tongue.

It would be nice if they put the original tongue on it instead of the typical tongue that's on every version of it after.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2012 17:31

whitem8
I believe it is the exact opposite. Exile seemed to be a hodge podge of stuff dating from Let it Bleed. With Some Girls, there was more consistency, which is because most of the bonus stuff was actually from those sessions. There is no doubt they could do a really special Sticky Fingers if they had the creative team and inspiration to pull it off. A big box set celebrating the birth of Rolling Stones Records. Have a nice book with the layouts and test prints for the tongue. Big glossy photos from the album shoot and unreleased stuff from Wharhol. Have a live show from 70. Have several alternate takes. Have different mix options. Have a facsimile of the Spanish album with Let it Rock. Release it in stereo and Mono. And on blue ray. They could do very well to look at Bowie's Station to Station Super Deluxe box set, and do something in that vein. Have posters and glossy 12 x 5 s of the band, promo shots from the fan club. Have their English tour schedule on a map with photos. Have a DVD of the Marquee Club show, cleaned up and in DTS. Have USB Tongue with the album in 24 bit with extra art work and a documentary, all in a massive box. They could really do something special if they had the mind to.

good lord, you should be on the creative design team...that is fabulous.

Release it the way that the Some Girls superdeluxe SHOULD HAVE been released. Instead of simply the Beast of Burden 45 with pic sleeve, they should have included Miss You, Shattered, Respectable AND the Before they make me Run promo. ALSO vinyl versions of the original album AND the new songs (for that matter, make them in collectable colours...you don't know what they'll be until you open)....I could go on, but you get the drift.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 17:53

I would love to be on that creative team as a fan rep. Love that shit. Yeah, Some Girls, sure could have more, but also that book is amazing. And heavy stock cardboard is wonderful. But yeah, the Super Deluxe could have had a pink CD with Miss You/Far Away Eyes. All the videos from that album. Selected, tightly edited stuff from the rehearsals. Also, Why not a club show from that tour? They recorded some. But I do really like what they did, and just a different vision. But valid none the-less. Sticky Fingers should be celebrated in grand style. Mick Taylor's first full album, the creation of their own label. So much special about Sticky Fingers Era.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:13

whitem8
I would love to be on that creative team as a fan rep. Love that shit. Yeah, Some Girls, sure could have more, but also that book is amazing. And heavy stock cardboard is wonderful. But yeah, the Super Deluxe could have had a pink CD with Miss You/Far Away Eyes. All the videos from that album. Selected, tightly edited stuff from the rehearsals. Also, Why not a club show from that tour? They recorded some. But I do really like what they did, and just a different vision. But valid none the-less. Sticky Fingers should be celebrated in grand style. Mick Taylor's first full album, the creation of their own label. So much special about Sticky Fingers Era.

Well for me it is a price/value thing. I don't mind that they retail it for $180 (and I spent significantly less admittedly), but for that price it should have more than 3 cd's, a vinyl 45 and a book. A bit stingy...especially if you're going to call it superdeluxe.

They don't seem to understand that they have a hardcore audience that is willing to spend the dough...they just need to give us some value, they really don't lose anything in the process.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home