Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 14
Re: TWITTER ANOUNCES NEW BOOTLEG
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 24, 2012 13:34

New RS facebook profile pic :

Also posted on tumblr last week : [rollingstonesofficial.tumblr.com]

Date: January 24, 2012 13:44

Looks like it will be a 1975-show, then. Baton Rouge?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 24, 2012 13:46

so that could mean a show from 1975?!? wow :-) sounds great

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 24, 2012 14:01

You know, come on Stones. Put out a complete 75 show with the complete Mocambo show. And why not release a complete DVD ala Some Girls?? Come on!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 24, 2012 14:03

1975 sounds fine to me. Time to correct the mistakes they did with LOVE YOU LIVE, and somehow screwed up representing the whole 1975/76 tour right. Even the much celebrated "El Congo Side" didn't really help to make the album to sound more cohesive and representative, quite contrast.

They were a goddamn hot rock and roll band during that tour! This seems to be forgotten now when 1972/73 and 1978 are so well represented.

- Doxa

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 24, 2012 14:06

It could still be El Macambo, though. As far as I know, the concerts in Toronto where additional to the 75/76 tour.

Date: January 24, 2012 14:07

El M'Orango will surely be released later. Right now, it looks very much like a 1975-release. Can't wait!

Date: January 24, 2012 14:11

I need to comment that if they continue the quality and standard they started with BRUSSELS AFFAIR - and the question is not if the material has not heard bofere in a bootleg or not but if it is mixed as wonderfully - this series of six albums, when one day put on the same box and released in material form, is going to be the mother of all live albums ever! Just think about it all in one box...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-24 14:13 by Doxa.

Date: January 24, 2012 14:17

Doxa
I need to comment that if they continue the quality and standard they started with BRUSSELS AFFAIR - and the question is not if the material has not heard bofere in a bootleg or not but if it is mixed as wonderfully - this series of six albums, when one day put on the same box and released in material form, is going to be the mother of all live albums ever! Just think about it all in one box...

- Doxa

They will be in one box - also known as a computer winking smiley (sorry, couldn't resist)

Date: January 24, 2012 14:31

It is also interesting that if they start to cover the tours they have had released before, what will happen to the reputation of those catalog albums? Are they doom to turn to be more like historical curiosities, since their lost their unique representative value? I think LOVE YOU LIVE and STILL LIFE seem to be on target here (and probaly FLASHPOINT even though I am rather skeptical of their will to release anything post-1989 days). They surely aren't any big sellers today but they still are their official catalog albums. Of course, the point in not releasing the 'bootleg series' in CD format, but using this rather low profile downloading option - with different contractual deals - might have something to do that they don't want to mess with their back catalog, but want to keep the latter as the 'real' or 'authentic' representation of the past (and with which they do record deals now and in future).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-24 14:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 24, 2012 14:56

Doxa
It is also interesting that if they start to cover the tours they have had released before, what will happen to the reputation of those catalog albums? Are they doom to turn to be more like historical curiosities, since their lost their unique representative value? I think LOVE YOU LIVE and STILL LIFE seem to be on target here (and probaly FLASHPOINT even though I am rather skeptical of their will to release anything post-1989 days). They surely aren't any big sellers today but they still are their official catalog albums. Of course, the point in not releasing the 'bootleg series' in CD format, but using this rather low profile downloading option - with different contractual deals - might have something to do that they don't want to mess with their back catalog, but want to keep the latter as the 'real' or 'authentic' representation of the past (and with which they do record deals now and in future).

- Doxa

This might make sense except for the fact ther was no physical release from '73 for the Brussels download to potentially undermine.........I guess we'll just have to wait to see what they release....I sense that the other thing you say will end up being the truth..."Are they doom to turn to be more like historical curiosities, since their lost their unique representative value?" .I guess you have to move with the times.....complete shows weren't realistic commercially back then, now with digital you can do more or less what 'you' want,,,,,,,,, not 'us' though as we've just found through the Megaupload scenario...............

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 24, 2012 15:06

1975 - don´t know anything from that tour, despite the stuff on love you live and this is crap (I´m wondering for years how they managed to degrade that much after 1973!)! hopefully they´ve got better stuff from 1975 in the vaults ...

Date: January 24, 2012 15:08

muenke
1975 - don´t know anything from that tour, despite the stuff on love you live and this is crap (I´m wondering for years how they managed to degrade that much after 1973!)! hopefully they´ve got better stuff from 1975 in the vaults ...

How can you say they degraded if you don't know anything from that tour?

Try the Hold On Tight Boot from MSG.

Date: January 24, 2012 15:47

EddieByword
I sense that the other thing you say will end up being the truth..."Are they doom to turn to be more like historical curiosities, since their lost their unique representative value?" .I guess you have to move with the times.....complete shows weren't realistic commercially back then, now with digital you can do more or less what 'you' want,,,,,,,,, not 'us' though as we've just found through the Megaupload scenario...............

Yeah, that's true (moving with the times). The whole concept of 'live album' has changed recently, which is very much to do with technological possiblities. Even if we look the whole history of Stones live albums none of them actually is actually trying to be any authentic representation of the concerts. They are more like artistic wholes of their own, very much different from, for example, bootlegs or concert movies. The fact that it has always been 'alright' to make over-dubs to the tracks, or manipulate them somehow in the studio seems to confirm the point. Many kinds of things seem to dictate the content: what songs did they release in their last live album, what new 'tricks' or 'extras' is needed, etc.

I think, for example, the incredible YA-YA'S - their most importnat live album ever for sure - was very much the idea of introducing the new sound, and specific songs of the band as perfectly as possible to a wider audience (than not only to the happy ones who might have catched them in concert). That album cemented the sound of the Stones, and also the status and 'look' of the new songs like "Jumping Jack Flash", "Street Fighting Man", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Midnight Rambler", "Honky Tonk Women"; that they didn't include the obvious "Satisfaction", or "Under my Thumb"/"I'm Free", but instead, say, two Berry songs, was an artistic choice. They I suppose wanted to emphasize the new direction and dedication (besides "Satisfaction" and "Under My Thumb" were alraedy released just three earlier in US GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! album).

Then, for example, I have read that the reason for those beloved El Durango shows in 1977 was at least partly - if not totally - to enrichen the content of new live album (which, following the trend of the day needed to be a double album) They probably thought that the normal live material they had from 1975/76 tour wasn't exciting enough; they wanted to add something extra. Then, the material, and also the sound, they chose and emphasized for STIL LIFE was in total contrast to anything in LOVE YOU LIVE. FLASHPOINT introduced the new professional sound of the band playing 'greatest hits'. Then STRIPPED applied the new 'unplugged' method. NO SECURITY was the flip side of FLASHPOINT consisting solely of rarities. LIVE FLICKS, the first album with no any heart in it any longer, was basically the ideas of FLASHPOINT and NO SECURIY put together; vol 2 of each albums.

In each case, it was artistic choice or statement, together with maximizing the commercial value of the product, that seemed to lead the politics in releasing live albums. That of being "representative" of the tour or singular concert had a that of vague of very different meaning to the one we now ask for, to say the least. Most likely the whole concept of 'live album' belongs to history now.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-24 15:54 by Doxa.

Date: January 24, 2012 15:53

Doxa
EddieByword
I sense that the other thing you say will end up being the truth..."Are they doom to turn to be more like historical curiosities, since their lost their unique representative value?" .I guess you have to move with the times.....complete shows weren't realistic commercially back then, now with digital you can do more or less what 'you' want,,,,,,,,, not 'us' though as we've just found through the Megaupload scenario...............

Yeah, that's true (moving with the times). The whole concept of 'live album' has changed recently, which is very much to do with technological possiblities. Even if we look the whole history of Stones live albums none of them actually is actually trying to be any authentic representation of the concerts. They are more like artistic wholes of their own, very much different from, for example, bootlegs or concert movies. The fact that it has always been 'alright' to make over-dubs to the tracks, or manipulate them somehow in the studio seems to confirm the point. Many kinds of things seem to dictate the content: what songs did they release in their last live album, what new 'tricks' or 'extras' is needed, etc.

I think, for example, the incredible YA-YA'S - their most importnat live album ever for sure - was very much the idea of introducing the new sound, and specific songs of the band as perfectly as possible to a wider audience (than not only to the happy ones who might have catched them in concert). That album cemented the sound of the Stones, and also the status and 'look' of the new songs like "Jumping Jack Flash", "Street Fighting Man", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Midnight Rambler", "Honky Tonk Women"; that they didn't include the obvious "Satisfaction", or "Under my Thumb"/"I'm Free", but instead, say, two Berry songs, was an artistic choice. They I suppose wanted to emphasize the new direction and dedication (besides "Satisfaction" and "Under My Thumb" were alraedy released just three earlier in US GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! album).

Then, for example, I have read that the reason for those beloved El Durango shows in 1977 was at least partly - if not totally - to enrichen the content of new live album (which, following the trend of the day needed to be a double album) They probably thought that the normal live material they had wasn't exciting enough; they wanted to add something extra. Then, the material, and also the sound, they chose and emphasized for STIL LIFE was in total contrast to anything in LOVE YOU LIVE. FLASHPOINT introduced the new professional sound of the band playing 'greatest hits'. Then STRIPPED applied the new 'unplugged' method. NO SECURITY was the flip side of FLASHPOINT being consisting of rarities. LIVE FLICKS, the first album with no any heart in it any longer, was basically the ideas of FLASHPOINT and NO SECURIY put together; vol 2 of each albums.

In each case, it was artistic choice or statement, together with maximizing the commercial value of the product, that seemed to lead the politics in releasing live albums. That of being "representative" of the tour or singular concert had a that of vague of very different meaning to the one we now ask for, to say the least. Most likely the whole concept of 'live album' belongs to history now.

- Doxa

Spot on, Doxa!

Funnily though, not many have commented that the arrangement of UMT was very much the same on Got Live If You Want It and Still Life.

I just ripped GLIYWI to my phone, and have listened to it a lot recently. It's way better than its reputation, imo.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: January 24, 2012 16:07

A San Antonio, Texas '75 release? That'd be nice and early for Ronnie. I see two cd's worth this time!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 24, 2012 16:11

My guess is they'll fill the gaps with the Net releases : 76 81 and 78 having been filled with classic/CD vinyl releases we're left with 75 77 or 82.

Date: January 24, 2012 16:15

dcba
My guess is they'll fill the gaps with the Net releases : 76 81 and 78 having been filled with classic/CD vinyl releases we're left with 75 77 or 82.

A good part of the songs on LYL are from 1975 and 1977.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 24, 2012 16:50

Doxa
1975 sounds fine to me. Time to correct the mistakes they did with LOVE YOU LIVE, and somehow screwed up representing the whole 1975/76 tour right. Even the much celebrated "El Congo Side" didn't really help to make the album to sound more cohesive and representative, quite contrast.

They were a goddamn hot rock and roll band during that tour! This seems to be forgotten now when 1972/73 and 1978 are so well represented.

- Doxa
Yes - I've heard some great boots from '75. I used to have one from the LA Forum, although I forget which particular show it was. It got damaged over the years but I remember it as being a very hot performance. I was rather disappointed in Love You Live by comparison.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 24, 2012 18:22

DandelionPowderman
muenke

How can you say they degraded if you don't know anything from that tour?

Try the Hold On Tight Boot from MSG.

As i said, i know love you live, and as far as i know, there are songs from 75 (and for sure 76) on it ... but thanks for the hint concerning the boot, will get it!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 24, 2012 18:38

I still want El Mocambo! If not that then some other club show and if not that then a 1999 show!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 24, 2012 18:44

Is it a bold guess to assume they are releasing them chronologically? The last one was 1973 (Europe) so the next one should be 1975 (USA). And so on.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 24, 2012 18:56

I'm starting to lose enthusiasm because this whole download thing could turn out to be another "missed opportunity". Sure hope they suprise us with something really interesting that we wouldn't expect.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 24, 2012 19:24

I want El Mocambo unedited, uncut both day!
Please!!!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 24, 2012 19:52

The suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 24, 2012 19:57

Man, you guys read way too much into things! Hundreds of bands post photos of themselves all the time, but when the Stones do it you guys have to think that there's some kind of meaning behind it? Geez. Maybe the photo was posted because it's a good photo?

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 24, 2012 20:02

frankotero
Sure hope they suprise us with something really interesting that we wouldn't expect.

that would be easier if everyone stopped speculating/anticipating/expecting -
which isn't going to happen, so ... sure, go ahead and be pre-disappointed if that's what grooves you eye rolling smiley

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 24, 2012 20:04

i hate the rolling stones

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 24, 2012 20:05

The first archive release was very interesting and unexpected!
They could have just released the Brussels show we already had...but they went further and gave us the one we didn't.

That was awesome.
I too love The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 24, 2012 20:15

with sssoul
frankotero
Sure hope they suprise us with something really interesting that we wouldn't expect.

that would be easier if everyone stopped speculating/anticipating/expecting -
which isn't going to happen, so ... sure, go ahead and be pre-disappointed if that's what grooves you eye rolling smiley

Indeed. I kinda wish they had not said that Brussesls was the first of a group of recordings being released. They should've released the first one...said nothing more and just let the others drip out.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home