Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 14
Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 24, 2012 20:21

Could be Paris 1976 as well, after all it was shot for a tv special.

Either way, bring it on!!!!

Re: TWITTER ANOUNCES NEW BOOTLEG
Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 24, 2012 20:55

DandelionPowderman
dcba
My guess is they'll fill the gaps with the Net releases : 76 81 and 78 having been filled with classic/CD vinyl releases we're left with 75 77 or 82.

A good part of the songs on LYL are from 1975 and 1977.

A fairly small part actually. At least in comparison to the '76 material.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but there's only 3 songs from '75 on Love You Live, 4 songs from '77, and 10 songs from '76. So the vast majority come from the '76 tour. It's the reason I, and many others, consider Love You Live to be more representative of the '76 tour than any other. Well over half of it's songs come from '76.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 24, 2012 21:01

Tumblin_Dice_07
DandelionPowderman
dcba
My guess is they'll fill the gaps with the Net releases : 76 81 and 78 having been filled with classic/CD vinyl releases we're left with 75 77 or 82.

A good part of the songs on LYL are from 1975 and 1977.

A fairly small part actually. At least in comparison to the '76 material.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but there's only 3 songs from '75 on Love You Live, 4 songs from '77, and 10 songs from '76. So the vast majority come from the '76 tour. It's the reason I, and many others, consider Love You Live to be more representative of the '76 tour than any other. Well over half of it's songs come from '76.

Indeed it's a 1976 tour souvenir. And even a poor one, at that.
ALso worth mentioning that 2 of the 3 tracks from 1975 are not only overdubbed afterwards, but they are also edited when several minutes. Taking away the good feel and drive of the original performances.

I rank 1975 with one of the greatest tours they ever did (unlike 1976!), and I think it's about time they released a show from that tour. It's especially rewarding for them to that, as there are many people who think "1975 and 1976 is the same thing"...as seen even in this thread...to prove a point to them. As they probably never heard any 1975 shows except the dreadful "video show".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-24 21:20 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 24, 2012 21:19

I can't stand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: January 24, 2012 21:39

Erik_Snow
I rank 1975 with one of the greatest tours they ever did (unlike 1976!), and I think it's about time they released a show from that tour. It's especially rewarding for them to that, as there are many people who think "1975 and 1976 is the same thing"...as seen even in this thread...to prove a point to them. As they probably never heard any 1975 shows except the dreadful "video show".

Indeed. Having been at shows from both tours I can categorically state that the 1975 TOTA Tour was superior to the 1976 European Tour, (I saw the New York shows in 1975 and I have heard that the earlier 1975 shows were superior to the later TOTA shows...something to discuss on another thread?). I don't know why they declined from '75 to '76...but decline they did...the presentation, the energy and the vibe were not the same level in 1976.

Date: January 24, 2012 21:45

Turd On The Run
...and I have heard that the earlier 1975 shows were superior to the later TOTA shows..

I've seen people writing this. But I disagree.

I doubt many people would participate such a thread, btw...as not many people here have listened to that many TOTA shows - so at least I'm not going to start one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-24 22:12 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 24, 2012 22:08

Erik_Snow
Turd On The Run
...and I have heard that the earlier 1975 shows were superior to the later TOTA shows..

I doubt many people would participate such a thread, btw...as not many people here have lsiten to that many TOTA shows - so at least I'm not going to start one

Start that thread Erik!
I have an opinion and I want to share it...

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 24, 2012 22:15

Maybe they will simply release 6 shows in chronological order ?

1981 - 1982
1989 - 1990
1995 - 1999

sc uk

Date: January 24, 2012 22:16

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Turd On The Run

I doubt many people would participate such a thread, btw...as not many people here have lsiten to that many TOTA shows - so at least I'm not going to start one

Start that thread Erik!

You could share it here, Munich !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-24 22:26 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 24, 2012 22:35

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Turd On The Run

Start that thread Erik!

Another problem with 1975 threads, is that you always get a flood of posts saying what I wrote above; that they think of 1975 and 1976 as the same thing. And that it's a lousy tour "because Love You Live proves it" or they post youtube clips of that video show....which is the only poor show of 1975. And I just can't take it no more! Argh!

I KNOW it's one of their finest ever tours, so I don't need to argue about it anymore. But I'd like to hear your opinion though

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 24, 2012 22:59

I hope if it is anything from 1981, they will hold it for last. I was there in 1975, a great tour, unique in its own way, remember Ronnie was only a guest player then. My first Stones show Kansas City June 6 1975, I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a far better show than Boulder Colorado October 3, 1981, my first Stones disappointment and unfortunately not my last. I still want El Mocambo!!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 24, 2012 23:08

Erik_Snow
I KNOW it's one of their finest ever tours, so I don't need to argue about it anymore. But I'd like to hear your opinion though

Well, you probably know my opinion, but I will gladly repeat it again.
Whatever you like, love, enjoy etc. is the only thing that should count for you. No matter what anybody else thinks or says. Never allow yourself to let anyone take away the joy you feel.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: January 24, 2012 23:12

Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Turd On The Run

Start that thread Erik!

Another problem with 1975 threads, is that you always get a flood of posts saying what I wrote above; that they think of 1975 and 1976 as the same thing. And that it's a lousy tour "because Love You Live proves it" or they post youtube clips of that video show....which is the only poor show of 1975. And I just can't take it no more! Argh!

You already know my opinion. If you don't like the 1975 TOTAs than you've never listened to Ft Collins or the MSG run. These were some damn long shows with some fantastic rock n roll such as Luxury in a few cases!

Great stuff.
Still I would want Bel Mikado 1977 though first.

Date: January 24, 2012 23:25

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Turd On The Run

Start that thread Erik!

You already know my opinion. If you don't like the 1975 TOTAs than you've never listened to Ft Collins or the MSG run. These were some damn long shows with some fantastic rock n roll such as Luxury in a few cases!

Great stuff.

Oh yes, I know you like the tour; I thought you meant you wanted to share an opinion about how the earlier part compares to the later part

BTW; I actually think that the MSG run was quite below the standard for TOTA, apart from the last one, which is excellent; APART from the fact that Mick's voice is shot. But I could name 25 other TOTA shows that were better than most of the MSG concerts. Especially the 2nd and 4th MSG shows are quite below par. Think they were really too drugged out there; and that includes Jagger

I think the biggest difference between the earliest part of the tour and the later part, was that Jagger sang quite differently for the first couple of shows, than he did later. At the VERY first shows, he almost sounds like he did in 1973...to make a stretch. While, later on, he went into a vocal-role that was totally different from anything he ever did previously....quite amazing. Pro's and con's for both those ways of singing

The rest of the band was fantastic all the way; but I think most of the 10 star concerts took place in the last part of the tour, like Fort Collins, Seattle, Chicago, Jacksonville, Atlanta....so I really wouldn't say that the first part of the tour was the best; even though there were some high fueled performances during those 2 first weeks, as well.

End and beginning of tour is equally terrific, allthough a little different.

Date: January 24, 2012 23:30

Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Turd On The Run

Start that thread Erik!

Great stuff.

Oh yes, I know you like the tour; I thought you meant you wanted to share an opinion about how the earlier part compares to the later part

BTW; I actually think that the MSG run was quite below the standard for TOTA, apart from the last one, which is excellent; APART from the fact that Mick's voice is shot. But I could name 25 other TOTA shows that were better than most of the MSG concerts. Especially the 2nd and 4th MSG shows are quite below par. Think they were really too drugged out there; and that includes Jagger

I think the biggest difference between the earliest part of the tour and the later part, was that Jagger sang quite differently for the first couple of shows, than he did later. At the VERY first shows, he almost sounds like he did in 1973...to make a stretch. While, later on, he went into a vocal-role that was totally different from anything he ever did previously....quite amazing. Pro's and con's for both those ways of singing

The rest of the band was fantastic all the way; but I think most of the 10 star concerts took place in the last part of the tour, like Fort Collins, Seattle, Chicago, Jacksonville, Atlanta....so I really wouldn't say that the first part of the tour was the best; even though there were some high fueled performances during those 2 first weeks, as well.

I think the Tour is split between pre Hey Negrita and post Hey Negrita.
Some of those latter shows have him aping around pretty badly all the way through 1976.

I think I like the MSG shows because they are readily available like the LA shows. Some good some bad. I have to check and see if I even have Chicago around here.

Date: January 24, 2012 23:36

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Turd On The Run

Start that thread Erik!

Great stuff.

I think the Tour is split between pre Hey Negrita and post Hey Negrita.
Some of those latter shows have him aping around pretty badly all the way through 1976.

I think I like the MSG shows because they are readily available like the LA shows. Some good some bad. I have to check and see if I even have Chicago around here.

Last Chicago show is very loose and dirty, but real high much energy and great R&R. One of the best "Tumbling Dice"'s of the entire tour.
2nd show in Chicago, though, is not very good, IMO.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-24 23:42 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 25, 2012 00:06

Twitter?..... I didnt even look atter!

"Is everyone sufficiently ripped? I hope everyone is sufficiently ripped!"
Mick Jagger, from the stage, June 6th 1975, Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City

"That KC show makes for a raggedyass sounding Stones bootleg, but it is a lot of fun to hear, just for the stage banter alone"
Me, just now.

Re: TWITTER ANOUNCES NEW BOOTLEG ..... earlscourt / london ????
Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: January 25, 2012 00:45

The new bootleg it has to be an audio recording, not something we already have for many years on vhs/dvd like paris '76 or from the 1975 TOTA those shows coulds see the light of day through eagle vision DVD in the future ... like texas 78. BUT ...

i did not hear anyone on this board talk about the soundbourd recordings from LONDON 76 ... so EARLSCOURT 76 thast my bed for the new bootleg ....

take care all ... decca61

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 25, 2012 00:52

My guess is they'll build a set from several shows taped at an identical venue (much like the BA'73 release), so what'll come out of the hat could be a best-of of the L.A. shows.
They played good there and they have plenty of nice perfs of a single song to pick to make the ultimate composite L.A. show.

My 2 cents of course...

Posted by: nick ()
Date: January 25, 2012 00:54

7 pages and no link to this "announcement"? Nevermind I found it but I have another question. Is this really the official Rolling Stones Twitter? The posts are very personable and doesn't seem like the kind of thing the band would be paying someone to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-25 01:09 by nick.

Date: January 25, 2012 01:03

I don't think 75 was very good. By Stones standards. It is the only time when Jagger pisses me off. Changing your lyrics is one thing, forgetting some more is another; but he blatantly didn't give a hoot about what he was singing. And that is just ..empty.
Jagger lyrics aren't the second coming, but if you are not going to get behind your songs in some way then wtf?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 25, 2012 01:42

Palace Revolution 2000
I don't think 75 was very good. By Stones standards. It is the only time when Jagger pisses me off. Changing your lyrics is one thing, forgetting some more is another; but he blatantly didn't give a hoot about what he was singing. And that is just ..empty.
Jagger lyrics aren't the second coming, but if you are not going to get behind your songs in some way then wtf?

that's rock'n'roll to me. jagger had it right in '75.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: January 25, 2012 01:56

It does appear to be from the Stones camp. They often hype the twitter accounts of Mick, Keith, and Ronnie (as well as his Ronnie Wood radio show account), and they seem up to date on the news. I follow it and based on the traffic, I don't doubt it's genuine.

And they've got lots of followers.

On the new boot - we know it's Ronnie Wood era. I also note that last tuesday they sent out a "happy Ruby Tuesday" post or something like that, and it makes me think this may be from the 1989 tour when they performed RT on a regular basis. Or they were just wishing us a good Ruby Tuesday.

My feeling is that it wouldn't be 1978 again; 1981 is too close to 1978; they want to get people hyped for a new tour so they don't want to go too deeply in the vaults for this one; and since they mentioned also that Watts and Wyman are the rhythm section, then it can't be past the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour. So I'm thinking it's from that era.

Maybe a club date from 89 or 90? Atlantic City?

I like the El Mocambo idea earlier on this thread; that'd be neat. But I say, go with something from the modern era to remind everyone that they CAN still get their act together when they put their mind to it.

MM

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 25, 2012 02:12

straycatuk

1981 - 1982
1989 - 1990
1995 - 1999

sc uk

I wish they would go in reverse chronoligical order instead: 1973, 1972, 1971, 1969, 1967, etc.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2012 02:18

StonesTod
Palace Revolution 2000

joel had it right in 1980, it's still rock'n'roll to me.

Date: January 25, 2012 02:28

71Tele
straycatuk

1981 - 1982
1989 - 1990
1995 - 1999

sc uk

I wish they would go in reverse chronoligical order instead: 1973, 1972, 1971, 1969, 1967, etc.

let's compromise and go right down the middle...

Date: January 25, 2012 02:28

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Palace Revolution 2000

joel had it right in 1980, it's still rock'n'roll to me.

billy rocks.

Date: January 25, 2012 02:47

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
Turd On The Run

Start that thread Erik!

Great stuff.

TOTAs is redundant - the A stands for Americas, not America.

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: January 25, 2012 04:27

Does anyone know which shows were recorded in 1975? I know Toronto and LA Forum were.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 25, 2012 04:55

dcba
My guess is they'll build a set from several shows taped at an identical venue (much like the BA'73 release), so what'll come out of the hat could be a best-of of the L.A. shows.
They played good there and they have plenty of nice perfs of a single song to pick to make the ultimate composite L.A. show.

My 2 cents of course...

I never could understand how anyone would embrace any recording that has "filler" songs from other shows. Yes, I see the point of providing a complete show or fixing a broken track. Still, a recording is not some eclectic compilation of an entire tour. It is a snapshot of that day, in that city, within that show. I want to hear it all. I want the audience roar before, the intro music, the songs and especially the tuning and banter inbetween.

BTW the 1975 TOTA is my favorite too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-25 04:57 by The Sicilian.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home