Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: OT: Megaupload shut down by US Gov
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 20, 2012 17:09

i will fight to the death to keep stealing the music i love.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 20, 2012 17:18

Father Ted
It is always going to be the highly visible Pirate Bay type sites that attract legal hassle. I've never seen Dime a Dozen get any hassle at all, afaik.

Dime has been shut down at least once -- several years ago -- as a result of a record company complaining about some bootleg (I think it was of Nirvana). But it was quickly reopened without further legal trouble as soon as the offending torrent was removed. That's why that site has a very strict no-officially-released-material policy as well as a small list of artists that are banned on the site.

As far as I've seen, bootleg sites without pirated official material has had very little legal trouble. The Stones and their records companies, for instance, don't seem to care at all -- they even link to inofficial youtube-uploads through their Facebook and Twitter accounts these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-20 17:21 by LieB.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 20, 2012 17:29

StonesTod

A cyber-fight to the cyber-death?

Or do you mean to take up arms against your oppressor?

Date: January 20, 2012 17:38

Munichhilton
StonesTod

A cyber-fight to the cyber-death?

Or do you mean to take up arms against your oppressor?

arms. both of them.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 20, 2012 17:42

Hollywood has had the best profits in 2011. Despite the internet..

Isn't it very strange that facebook, skype, myspace, google, and all other important network sites are in the hands of one country : the USA? No choice and no meaningful alternative in, say Europe. How come? I think it's no coincedence.

For the record : I do buy a product if i like it, but this is censorship at it's worst. By the way one can vote on the Pirate Party in germany. I hope that there will be a massive protest against this anti-democratic lobbysh@t, and that the politicians remember who elected them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-20 17:47 by barbabang.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 20, 2012 17:54

StonesTod

But would you wear a thong-style diaper in the process...that I think is the more relevant question.

Date: January 20, 2012 17:57

treaclefingers
StonesTod

But would you wear a thong-style diaper in the process...that I think is the more relevant question.

why would i take it off in the first place?

Date: January 20, 2012 18:04

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

why would i take it off in the first place?

to launder it...one can only hope anyway.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 20, 2012 18:09

Green Lady
We have a case in the UK where a British student ..... is going to be extradited ..... for trial and possible imprisonment.

Now that is really scary. Just the fact that it is possible.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: January 20, 2012 18:22

Possibly the way to go is for the bands themselves (assuming they exist) to just load all of these gigs up on their own website for fans to access for free. Isn't that what the Grateful Dead do? Bands that no longer exist are a problem i suppose because who actually "owns" the material.

andy

Date: January 20, 2012 18:34

Our leaders are afraid of mass protest in the U.S. I think.

Updated at 11:14 a.m. ET

Senate and House leaders announced Friday they are postponing work on two controversial anti-piracy bills in the wake of large online protests that spurred several congressmen to rethink the legislation.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced today that he is postponing Tuesday's procedural vote on the Protect IP Act (PIPA). Meanwhile, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith said his committee is postponing consideration of PIPA's House companion, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), "until there is wider agreement on a solution."

PIPA and SOPA are intended to strengthen protections against copyright infringement and intellectual property theft, but Internet advocates say they would stifle expression on the World Wide Web. CBS Corporation is among the media and entertainment companies that support the legislation.

In protest of the legislation, major sites like Wikipedia and Reddit participated in a 24-hour "Internet blackout" on Wednesday, while other sites like Google took less drastic steps to signify their opposition to the legislation. The protests inspired voters to deluge their congressmen with phone calls and emails in protest of the bills as well, and by Wednesday afternoon, several congressmen either came out in opposition to the bills or said Congress should take more time to reconsider them. It seemed unlikely PIPA would find the 60 votes necessary to pass Tuesday's test vote in the Senate.

SOPA and PIPA Internet blackout aftermath, staggering number "There is no reason that the legitimate issues raised by many about this bill cannot be resolved," Reid said in a statement. Reid encouraged PIPA's author, Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., to continue working with stakeholders on the bill "to forge a balance between protecting Americans' intellectual property, and maintaining openness and innovation on the Internet."

Reid said the Senate had made "good progress" through its discussions on the bill in recent weeks and that he's optimistic that the Senate can reach a compromise. He stressed that counterfeiting and piracy are serious problems that hurt major industries, including the movie industry, which supports 2.2 million jobs alone.

"We must take action to stop these illegal practices," he said. "We live in a country where people rightfully expect to be fairly compensated for a day's work, whether that person is a miner in the high desert of Nevada, an independent band in New York City, or a union worker on the back lots of a California movie studio."

The House Judiciary Committee was slated to take up SOPA again in February, but Smith issued a statement after Reid's PIPA announcement, noting that he also has heard from critics of the bills.

"I take seriously their concerns regarding proposed legislation to address the problem of online piracy," he said. "It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves that steal and sell American inventions and products."

Smith said "the problem of online piracy is too big to ignore" and that the House Judiciary Committee will continue to work with both copyright owners and Internet companies to find the right solution.

In his own statement, Leahy criticized the senators who walked back their support for PIPA, compelling Reid to postpone the procedural vote, which would have officially started a Senate floor debate on the bill.

"The day will come when the Senators who forced this move will look back and realize they made a knee-jerk reaction to a monumental problem," Leay said. "Somewhere in China today, in Russia today, and in many other countries that do not respect American intellectual property, criminals who do nothing but peddle in counterfeit products and stolen American content are smugly watching how the United States Senate decided it was not even worth debating how to stop the overseas criminals from draining our economy."

Opponents of SOPA and PIPA object to the bill in part because they argue it would impose a huge, unmanageable burden on Internet companies to police their sites for connections to copyright or intellectual property infringers. Start ups in particular would not be able to handle the legal costs involved, and it could quash innovation in the Internet industry.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Friday he was "encouraged" by Reid's decision to postpone the vote.

"We all agree that we must do more to combat the on-line theft of intellectual property," McConnell said in a statement, but he said PIPA "raised serious legal, policy and operational concerns."

Republican Rep. Darrell Issa of California and Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon co-authored a bill intended to serve as an alternative to SOPA and PIPA -- the Online Protection and Enforcement of Digital Trade (OPEN) Act.

"For all those who might have thought that their voice didn't count in their government, I hope you now know it does," Wyden tweeted after Reid postponed the PIPA vote.

Issa said in a statement that postponing the PIPA vote "removes the imminent threat to the Internet, but it's not over yet. Copyright infringement remains a serious problem and any solution must be targeted, effective, and consistent with how the Internet works."

[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 20, 2012 18:42

barbabang
Isn't it very strange that facebook, skype, myspace, google, and all other important network sites are in the hands of one country : the USA? No choice and no meaningful alternative in, say Europe. How come? I think it's no coincedence.

Except for Skype (Luxembourg-founded, now American-owned), all of those companies were founded in the USA...so it's not surprising they're "in the hands" of that country.

As always, the rest of the world is free to innovate and come up with "meaningful alternatives" if it so chooses...or is able.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 20, 2012 19:25

Rolling Hansie
Green Lady
We have a case in the UK where a British student ..... is going to be extradited ..... for trial and possible imprisonment.

Now that is really scary. Just the fact that it is possible.

[www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk]

Sheffield student faces extradition over ‘pirate’ TV Shack website

Published on Friday 13 January 2012 15:32

A STUDENT who created a website which helped people watch films and television programmes for free can be extradited to the US to face copyright infringement allegations, a court ruled today.

Sheffield Hallam University undergraduate Richard O’Dwyer, 23, allegedly earned thousands of pounds through advertising on the TVShack website before it was closed down by the US authorities.

He faces jail if convicted of the allegations, which were brought following a crackdown by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

His lawyer Ben Cooper has argued that the site did not store copyright material itself and merely pointed users to other sites, in the same way that Google and Yahoo operate.

Mr Cooper also claimed his client would be the first UK citizen to be extradited for such an offence and would effectively become a “guinea pig” for copyright law in the US.

His mother Julia O’Dwyer, from Chesterfield, has described the action as “beyond belief” and the UK’s extradition treaty with the US as “rotten.”

But District Judge Quentin Purdy today ruled at Westminster Magistrates’ Court that the extradition could go ahead.

Mr Cooper indicated he would appeal against the ruling.

The judge said: “There are said to be direct consequences of criminal activity by Richard O’Dwyer in the USA, albeit by him never leaving the north of England.

“Such a state of affairs does not demand a trial here if the competent UK authorities decline to act and does, in my judgment, permit one in the USA.”

He added: “I reject all challenges advanced to this request. No bars or other challenge being raised or found, I send the case to the Secretary of State.”

The court heard that O’Dwyer was arrested by police in November 2010 and two of his computers were seized.

In interviews, he is said to have accepted owning TVShack.net and TVShack.cc, earning approximately £15,000 per month from online advertisements hosted on those sites.

The judge said he was satisfied that the alleged conduct would constitute an offence in UK law.

He added that the prospect of a serious criminal trial was “obviously alarming” and went on: “Trial abroad in any foreign land is, plainly, even more daunting.

“However, enforcement of cross-border criminal justice is intended, in part at least, to ensure alleged victims of crime and the wider public confidence in criminal justice is not thwarted by national borders.”

O’Dwyer showed no emotion as the ruling was made.

His mother, Mrs O’Dwyer, criticised the UK’s extradition treaty with the US. Speaking outside the court, she said: “If they want to prosecute something they will. There’s no safeguards here for British citizens. How can the US government be allowed to ruin a young student’s life when similar cases brought in English courts show that what they allege is not illegal here?

“Both prosecution and defence counsels agreed in court that Richard had a strong argument to defeat the extradition request. We will look to appeal to a higher court without delay.”

She added: “I’m disappointed with this Government for signing us up to this treaty, which has opened the floodgates to America to come and seize British citizens without even having set foot out of this country.”

O’Dwyer added: “I am obviously disappointed with the judge’s decision today.” He said the website had “helped me no end with my studies” and said when he first set it up he “didn’t even think it would get that popular.”

Asked if websites that link to other sites should be open to prosecution, he replied: “I think you should ask Google the same question.”

The campaigning group Liberty later added to the pressure on the Government.

Co-ordinator Sabina Frediani said: “Everyone is vulnerable under the current rotten extradition regime – it takes key decisions out of the hands of British judges, leaving our children exposed to the injustice of instant extradition.”

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: January 20, 2012 19:28

now the war is declared to the US government by netjackers who have blocked some american sites.

Date: January 20, 2012 19:32

jpasc95
now the war is declared to the US government by netjackers who have blocked some american sites.

are all options on the table in case this escalates? the nuclear option?

Date: January 20, 2012 19:42

Jah Paul
barbabang

Except for Skype (Luxembourg-founded, now American-owned), all of those companies were founded in the USA...so it's not surprising they're "in the hands" of that country.

As always, the rest of the world is free to innovate and come up with "meaningful alternatives" if it so chooses...or is able.

yes...the rest of the world may not be able to collectively come up with any alternatives. It is that complex.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 20, 2012 19:48

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:07 by vudicus.

Date: January 20, 2012 19:52

treaclefingers
Jah Paul
barbabang

yes...the rest of the world may not be able to collectively come up with any alternatives. It is that complex.

let's reduce the complexity and just have a coupla countries work this out. say, brunei and mozambique?

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: January 20, 2012 20:45

StonesTod
jpasc95

well it's a very pessimistic option but what to do if this war turns into an Internet World War I ?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 20, 2012 20:49

jpasc95
StonesTod
jpasc95

well it's a very pessimistic option but what to do if this war turns into an Internet World War I ?

Save the modems and dial-ups first...they haven't got a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-20 20:50 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 20, 2012 21:00

Jah Paul
barbabang

Well I'm European. Give me a couple of hours...I'll do it. Just gotta find some handybook about how to create net-sites first.

Date: January 20, 2012 21:07

StonesTod
treaclefingers
Jah Paul
barbabang

let's reduce the complexity and just have a coupla countries work this out. say, brunei and mozambique?

brunei...didn't that guy invent google...or something?

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 20, 2012 21:40

One word: Napster. The world didn't stop turning. The genie is out of the bottle. The only time I can think of Technology being "dis-invented" was when Concorde was grounded.

Date: January 20, 2012 21:42

jpasc95
StonesTod
jpasc95

until there's a Internet WWII, I think we have to be okay with calling it the Internet Great War or the Internet War to End All Wars. or something.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 20, 2012 21:44

Well more and more bands are now making the live shows from their current tours available for purchase as downloads. I think this is the wave of the future. Getting people to buy the shows instead of downloading then for free.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-20 21:57 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 20, 2012 21:50

if the shows are professionally recorded I don't have problem with this, as long as £5.00 is the kinda price limit.

Date: January 20, 2012 21:53

sweetcharmedlife
Well more and more bnads are now making the live shows from their current tours available for purchase as downloads. I think this is the wave of the future. Getting people to buy the shows instead of downloading then for free.

what are some of your favorite bnads?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-20 22:25 by StonesTod.

Date: January 20, 2012 22:28

StonesTod
jpasc95
StonesTod
jpasc95

until there's a Internet WWII, I think we have to be okay with calling it the Internet Great War or the Internet War to End All Wars. or something.

How about Web World War II in miniature? Or am I thinking of the Spanish Civil War?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-20 22:29 by treaclefingers.

Date: January 20, 2012 22:30

treaclefingers
StonesTod
jpasc95
StonesTod
jpasc95

How about Web World War II in miniature? Or am I thinking of the Spanish Civil War?

i dunno...were there a lot of ducks in that one or something?

Date: January 20, 2012 22:46

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
jpasc95
StonesTod
jpasc95

i dunno...were there a lot of ducks in that one or something?

no fair, i'm calling fowl.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home