Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rock and roll circus
Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: January 16, 2012 01:36

Just broke this out after not listening for a few years
listening to the stones part right now and i'm still astonished
mick didnt want this out,they sound incredible !!!!!

Re: Rock and roll circus
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 07:26

its rubbish.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 08:17

Its not rubbish! Great film, and a long lost gem from the 60's. First, you have great group of performers, second, you get the last live performance/appearance of Brian. And third, the Stones look beautifully menacing and sound fantastic. Great film, with some great gems. Yer Blues, A Quick One (While He's Away), Taj Mahal, and a sublime version of No Expectations. Great stuff!

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: January 16, 2012 09:12

The other acts outshines the Stones though, especially The Who. It's obvious that there were tensions and bad climate within the group at the time. They all look very sad, and Brian is practically a living dead.

Re: Rock and Roll Circus
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 16, 2012 09:39

DiscoVolante
The other acts outshines the Stones though, especially ...

... that's the standard line, of course, but i don't see it.
the Stones were exhausted but they shine just fine.
it's my all-time favourite rendition of YCAGWYW, for example

smile: i wonder how that little girl that Mick addresses one of the choruses directly to has fared in life

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 09:58

with sssoul
DiscoVolante

smile: i wonder how that little girl that Mick addresses one of the choruses directly to has fared in life

Exactly. I have heard this line thousand times. Whenever the Circus is discussed. "The Stones are outshined...especially by The Who". I had heard it before I have ever seen the movie, so when I watched for the first time, I was especially curious about The Who bit. It is all right, but I can't see anything special about it and I really love The Rolling Stones part. The whole movie is great but The Stones are easily the best (for me). So of course, it is a matter of personal taste and opinion, but I think that most of the time people just say / write that line because it is a common cliche. No offence to DiscoVolante, maybe he/she really means it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-16 09:59 by Happy24.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2012 10:01

wonderful time capsule...i like everything about this dvd.
glad it was eventually released.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: January 16, 2012 10:39

with sssoul
DiscoVolante

Me neither, they were great!

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 16, 2012 10:47

As pointed out, it's a nice release all in all, but Stones performance is not up to par. They sound a bit dull and not at all fresh compared to most of the other acts. Final live apperance by Brian and that's one reason why this still must be in Stones fans posessions. Too bad Brian is pretty much inaudible through the set though.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 16, 2012 13:37

Happy24
with sssoul
DiscoVolante

Exactly. I have heard this line thousand times. Whenever the Circus is discussed. "The Stones are outshined...especially by The Who". I had heard it before I have ever seen the movie, so when I watched for the first time, I was especially curious about The Who bit. It is all right, but I can't see anything special about it and I really love The Rolling Stones part. The whole movie is great but The Stones are easily the best (for me). So of course, it is a matter of personal taste and opinion, but I think that most of the time people just say / write that line because it is a common cliche. No offence to DiscoVolante, maybe he/she really means it.

the stones were NOT outshined by the Who!! sheesh. they were outshined by jethro tull.

Date: January 16, 2012 13:39

When I bought the cd, I was astonished by how great the Stones were.

I still feel the same. Downright awesome!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 16, 2012 13:45

Taj Mahal, Jethro Tull, and The Who were all excellent.

The Stones were good, but, as Keith stated in an interview "Brian was practically a basket-case by this point".

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 16, 2012 14:14

tomcasagranda
Taj Mahal, Jethro Tull, and The Who were all excellent.

The Stones were good, but, as Keith stated in an interview "Brian was practically a basket-case by this point".

Jethro Tull were excellent!? lol.

Hmm, so Brian supposedly being a basket case resulted in Keith playing feeble solo's on Sympathy!?

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: January 16, 2012 15:09

His Majesty
Jethro Tull were excellent!? lol.

Yeah Jethro Tull were miming...

Date: January 16, 2012 15:10

Genius.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 16, 2012 15:57

The Who were great...but they were always great live...in fact, they matched the Stones during 1969 as well as a live act...thats how good they were!
So to compare the Stones to The Who in RnR Circus is slightly unfair.

The Stones effort, considering all factors, was very good.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 16, 2012 16:01

Love it.

Get the DVD for 3 more superb Taj Mahal tracks.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: January 16, 2012 16:04

Compare the Stones performance here with Hyde Park and Ya-Ya's/Gimme Shelter. It's just months between them but years ahead in quality. I still enjoy R&R Circus though, it's not bad at all; not in case of not releasing it for 30 years however.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 16, 2012 16:08

Eleanor Rigby
The Who were great...but they were always great live...in fact, they matched the Stones during 1969 as well as a live act...thats how good they were!
So to compare the Stones to The Who in RnR Circus is slightly unfair.

Why unfair, Elenor? The reasons you mentioned makes it quite fair to compare the two.
Comparing Rolling Stones to Dirty Mac with Yoko Ono (!) for instance, now that would had been unfair.

I dig the Rock'n Roll Circus, BTW - and was very surprised when buying it in 1996, as I expected it to be a lot poorer, since they didn't want it released back then.

The Rolling Stones was in obvious need of a new guitar player though....or at least, turning up the one they had. One miss the guitar-duelling of 1969, when listening to R&R circus

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-16 16:23 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 16:10

They sound better on RR Circus than Hyde Park. That show was a shambles and mostly played out of tune. Now Gimme Shelter, or the 69 tour? Well that is a whole other kettle of stones...that is them hitting one of their peaks.

Date: January 16, 2012 16:10

Rock and roll circus>Hyde Park

Date: January 16, 2012 16:12

Lennon voice is unreal here.

Rock and Roll Circus: What a show!

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 16:13

I enjoy the whole film as a historical timepiece. I find it rather amusing, too, that the audience all seem to be wearing what look like raincoats. Never quite understood the reasoning behind that. LOL!

Date: January 16, 2012 16:15

Shame The Doors & Hendrix weren't there sad smiley

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 16:18

Youngie

Indeed! Can you imagine!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 16, 2012 16:20

They were good enough, but could have been much better. Agreed that they obviously need a new guitar player, but they should have atleast turned Brian up for Jumpin' Jack Flash, Parachute Woman and You Can't Always Get What You Want.

No great shakes from Brian - no longer interested in being a Rolling Stone - Jones, but no big mistakes either.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 16, 2012 16:22

sf37
Youngie

Actually I can't imagine seeing the Doors being on the same stage/show as Rolling Stones for some reason. Not that I don't want to see it, but it's like they're from different planets. But Hendrix and...The Beatles - that would be something!

Date: January 16, 2012 16:23

sf37
Youngie

It would have been awesome.

IIRC both The Doors & Hendrix were touring England around this time. So they all could have been there sad smiley

Date: January 16, 2012 16:27

Erik_Snow
Actually I can't imagine seeing the Doors being on the same stage/show as Rolling Stones for some reason. Not that I don't want to see it, but it's like they're from different planets. But Hendrix and...The Beatles - that would be something!

The Beatles! LOL that sure would have been something.

Date: January 16, 2012 16:29

What's wrong with Jagger by the way - locking this show & Live in Texas '78 (and surely others) in the vaults for 30+ years because they "weren't up to par"? eye popping smiley

Madness.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home