Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rock and roll circus
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2012 17:38

DandelionPowderman

This was a recording, not a live show. It´s not unlikely Brian got too stoned to play in between takes. Might be the reason...

Stoned or not, he doesn't seem to play anything badly, they just have him turned way down for 3 songs.

On the bootleg and the few alternative versions his guitar is a bit louder than the official release and if nothing else it makes for a slightly fuller sound.

Shit's done now, but I wish they'd had him a bit louder on the official release.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 17, 2012 17:43

stonesdan60
he had a much cooler look when they came back in 1978.

LoFL! totally the opposite for me. in 78 the best response i could come up with to Mick's look
was to admire his great gift for making himself obnoxious, sooner or later, one way or another, to absolutely everybody.

the 75 pajamas looked fine to me, in their slithery androgynous way - which is a way that suits the Mick

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:14

Great DVD, so many stars, there was a rumour that Keith had to borrow Robert Plants boots for the show !!!!!!!!!!! drinking smiley

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:38

ab
Youngie
I dunno if Elvis would have been too pleased being invited to perform at a circus grinning smiley

Not to mention that Elvis didn't perform outside of North America.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Never knew that. Thanks for the info thumbs up

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:49

So glad that Brian was "allowed" to play slide on "No Expectations" for the last time, maybe a little shaky, but played with much feeling to add to the theme of the song....a fine goodbye to fans by the group's original founder.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 18, 2012 00:11

Blue
So glad that Brian was "allowed" to play slide on "No Expectations" for the last time, maybe a little shaky, but played with much feeling to add to the theme of the song....a fine goodbye to fans by the group's original founder.

I just watched it. What a contrast from his Ed Sullivan appearance with 'Little Red Rooster'. There he looks up from his slide solo like, yeah, I'm bad. In Rock and Roll Circus he has grown shy of the camera and can barely face it. A totally beaten man.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: January 18, 2012 00:49

DandelionPowderman
It´s not unlikely Brian got too stoned to play in between takes. Might be the reason...
If that was the case then we would have seen it somehow in the final film and we don't. Brian stays safe on the guitar and plays pretty basic and from what I can see and hear he doesn't screw up. There's no reason to keep him lowered in the mix and then have him in the spotlight on No Expectations.

It's like I said before - they (Mick and Keith) must have trusted his capability to perform since they had No Expectations on the setlist. The mix on the final release makes little sense.

But, as His Majesty already said, the shit's done now. To late to change it.

24FPS
I just watched it. What a contrast from his Ed Sullivan appearance with 'Little Red Rooster'. There he looks up from his slide solo like, yeah, I'm bad. In Rock and Roll Circus he has grown shy of the camera and can barely face it. A totally beaten man.
Yup. It would have been so nice to have the NME performance from that year to compare.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: January 18, 2012 01:18

tonterapi
DandelionPowderman
It´s not unlikely Brian got too stoned to play in between takes. Might be the reason...
If that was the case then we would have seen it somehow in the final film and we don't. Brian stays safe on the guitar and plays pretty basic and from what I can see and hear he doesn't screw up. There's no reason to keep him lowered in the mix and then have him in the spotlight on No Expectations.

It's like I said before - they (Mick and Keith) must have trusted his capability to perform since they had No Expectations on the setlist. The mix on the final release makes little sense.

24FPS
I just watched it.

What a contrast from his Ed Sullivan appearance with 'Little Red Rooster'. There he looks up from his slide solo like, yeah, I'm bad. In Rock and Roll Circus he has grown shy of the camera and can barely face it. A totally beaten man.
Yup. It would have been so nice to have the NME performance from that year to compare.

Yes. In the 1964 NME Brian was certainly on FIRE... If you watch him in the 1965 NME he was so much more subdued...and by R&R Circus he looked like a broken man, but the way he played "No Expectations" was very moving...he sort of came through for them for his last tune.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 18, 2012 01:58

tonterapi
DandelionPowderman

24FPS

"A totally beaten man." I don't see it quite that black.

First off, this was heavily edited material, and most of the film wound up
on the cutting room floor, so we have nothing else to compare. No question
Jones was indulging; plenty of photos to back that. Did it interfere with
his abilities and was the band anticipating his state? Probably. We'll never
be sure. It's clear he has no part to play on "YCAGWYW". He's also echoing
Keith's riff on "JJF". But it's possible that he did play on the single and
that riff was his part. But when he does that slide solo, he's on, and a
little of the old 'tude comes through. See his hand rise off the fretboard?
That's showmanship, not style.

Plenty of backstage drama there. Jones is a liability and even Daltry realized
it was only a matter of time before they'd have to fire the guitarist. Jones
wasn't well and shouldn't have been a full member of The Stones at that point
anyway. Jones should've resigned that summer but there was no way at that time
he was ready for a break. As usual, assuming responsibility behooved him – his
greatest flaw – and he chose to keep the party going. The other Stones knew he
was fragile but didn't know how to handle the problem as Jones was seen as the
popular one in many parts of the world. It was an odd and impossible situation.
Jones no longer could handle the responsibility of being a fully functioning
member of The Rolling Stones, the remainder of the band couldn't handle
the fact it was losing one of its members.

Jones was down and almost out, but he still had some of his old moxy.
It just didn't appear much at that performance. It certainly wasn't a
performance on a par with this one:

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: January 18, 2012 01:59

Blue
Yes. In the 1964 NME Brian was certainly on FIRE... If you watch him in the 1965 NME he was so much more subdued...and by R&R Circus he looked like a broken man, but the way he played "No Expectations" was very moving...he sort of came through for them for his last tune.
I think that in 65 he was pretty lost and wondered what his role in the band was after he had lost his position. Mick and Keith had become the song writers and Oldham was their promoter and manager. The constant touring is said to have been tough on him as well being the sensitive character he was.

To be honest, even though I agree that Brian does a great job with the slide on NE, I think that he couldn't wait to get off the stage and mingle with Lennon, Pete, Keith Moon or the lovely Luna. He was broken indeed but he looks a little happier on photos that were taken backstage when he is with other musicians.

TheDailyBuzzherd: I agree with your post. thumbs up

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-18 02:06 by tonterapi.

Date: January 18, 2012 10:23

tonterapi
DandelionPowderman

24FPS

They might have trusted his capability to perform SOME songs. BTW, do we know the order in which the songs were recorded?

Personally, I think Brian looks more on when he's playing on JJF than on other songs.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the bootleg, so this is only speculation on my part.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 18, 2012 10:38

I think Brian was at his best from 1963-1964, and then there was the glorious resurgence in 1966 where he made magic from any instrument he touched, be it sitar, dulcimer, harpsichord, mellotron.

Other bands had great musicians who became spent forces during their duration, e..g Syd Barratt in Pink Floyd, Richard Manuel in The Band, so it was nothing new.

On a separate note: the Stones invited Johnny Cash to participate in the Rock n Roll Circus, but he declined. Possibly, because he was trying to recover from years of drug abuse.

Date: January 18, 2012 11:49

I don't believe the 'totally beaten broken man' mystic anymore. From all accounts Brian was kind of a dick, and pretty neurotic, but he came out surviving.
His non Stones friends say he was ready to move on. To get there he still had to face the termination with the Stones; it is never easy to be booted out of a deep relationship, but it is not the end-all. So, let's say he was not in the best of moods, plus those guys were taking these heavy, heavy drugs back then. Those barbiturates had to wreak havoc on their playing and constitution.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 8, 2016 06:36

In memory of The Dirty Mac,

by LArtisteInconnu

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 8, 2016 14:45

R.I.P. John

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home