Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ladies and Gentlemen Deluxe
Posted by: johnh ()
Date: January 13, 2012 12:05

Hi there, I see the L&G deluxe box is on offer at zavvi for £30.. is the book worth having? I already have the DVD but if the boos good then..

[www.zavvi.com]

cheers
john

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen Deluxe
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 13, 2012 12:15

If you have the extra cash it is worth it. But not essential. The Book is nice, not a lot of unseen photos, but it is well put together. The scarf is pretty useless, but fun. The bonus disc is just The Stones in Exile. And another bonus disc of the Dick Cavett interviews, and Australian 73 interviews. The box itself is pretty nice, but not sturdy at all. So like I said, if you have the extra cash, and that is a good price, and you like collecting unique stuff. Go for it.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: January 13, 2012 13:42

I like it,a decent enough set as mentioned by whitem8.
I got mine at same time as Some Girls Live In Texas,had a few quit to spare at the time £40,it had been £49 for some time on Amazon and I had been keeping an eye on it,same price on play.com.
Then as I was about to buy it (£49) price on play.com went up to £59 and I thought crap,but when I checked Amazon their price had gone down to £40 so I went ahead and got,it has now annoyingly come down in price again by £8 ,your set seems even cheaper so I would say go for it.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: January 13, 2012 13:43

Definitely worth £30. I love mine.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 13, 2012 15:15

johnh
Hi there, I see the L&G deluxe box is on offer at zavvi for £30.. is the book worth having? I already have the DVD but if the boos good then..

[www.zavvi.com]

cheers
john

Like you, I already have the DVD but noticed the priced drop to just under £30 last week on Amazon so I placed an order. It is a nicely packaged box set - the book is a glossy hardback, quite large with the three DVDs stored in the cover.

Date: January 13, 2012 15:33

Some girls DVD and CD set £8.99. Bloody bargain!

Date: January 13, 2012 15:34

flairville

At Amazon.

Date: January 13, 2012 15:44

flairville
flairville

At Amazon.

Cool - thanks for the tip.

Anyone in a position to comment as to whether the DVD picture quality is inferior to the blu? I'm thinking that given it is from 1978, there's probably not much between them.

Date: January 13, 2012 15:49

I have the DVD, and the picture is PHENOMENAL! Really, this is one of the best live Stones DVD. It is astonishing that the Stones waited so long to release such a fantastic film. The picture is wonderful. I have a 52 inch plasma and the resolution and picture and picture ratio is stunning. It is like they are in your living room. Awesome!
I don't have a blue ray DVD player yet... Some Girls give me money...

Date: January 13, 2012 16:45

Beast of burden looks like HD on my normal DVD player! I think it's to do with the lighting. I can't see there being much between them really.

Date: January 13, 2012 19:29

whitem8/flairville - sounds great and, whitem8, I'm so jealous of your 52" screen!!

Decided to go for the blu+cd pack which I found for £12.99 on Play.com

[www.play.com]

Either of you bought the SG super deluxe box set?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-13 19:30 by Father Ted.

Date: January 13, 2012 22:10

Father Ted
whitem8/flairville - sounds great and, whitem8, I'm so jealous of your 52" screen!!

[www.play.com]

Either of you bought the SG super deluxe box set?

Not yet, will do when the price is right.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 13, 2012 22:19

for the record, i was so disappointed in the L&G Deluxe book that i returned the whole set.
i think i understand why photographers and their publishers opt for two-page spreads,
but they don't have to mangle the photos quite that much!
putting the split right down the center of Keith is a sin to me.
there's at least one reversed photo too. left-handed guitarists in a deluxe edition is pretty sloppy.

if that seems overly picky: i paid the full price, and it was a lot of money to me,
and the book was the main attraction for me. if i could get the set for 30 GBP including shipping,
i'd probably go for it and be happy enough not to moan about the carelessness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-13 22:20 by with sssoul.

Date: January 13, 2012 23:04

with sssoul
for the record, i was so disappointed in the L&G Deluxe book that i returned the whole set.
i think i understand why photographers and their publishers opt for two-page spreads,
but they don't have to mangle the photos quite that much!
putting the split right down the center of Keith is a sin to me.
there's at least one reversed photo too. left-handed guitarists in a deluxe edition is pretty sloppy.

if that seems overly picky: i paid the full price, and it was a lot of money to me,
and the book was the main attraction for me. if i could get the set for 30 GBP including shipping,
i'd probably go for it and be happy enough not to moan about the carelessness.

I didn't notice the split over Keith or the reversal but will take the book out and have another look. If I had one criticism of the book, it would be that some of the photos are grainy, perhaps blown up beyond their optimum resolution. But its still a decent package for the price I paid.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: January 14, 2012 14:58

Father Ted

[www.play.com]

thumbs up

You won't regret it. Most seem to go for DVD+CD of Live In Texas. Nice to know someone's going for the Blu+CD (same as myself).

Date: January 14, 2012 15:02

1997-V9KJ-V27Z

Above is a 10% code for Zavvi if anyone needs it.

Date: January 14, 2012 15:05

Father Ted
Anyone in a position to comment as to whether the DVD picture quality is inferior to the blu? I'm thinking that given it is from 1978, there's probably not much between them.

Surely since all theatrically released concerts which have been shot on film will look better on Blu Ray.

Live In Texas Blu Ray looks amazing and I only have a 28 inch screen. Not even LCD or plasma. thumbs up

Date: January 14, 2012 15:11

The Blu Ray+CD and DVD+CD are approx the same price so the Blu Ray is a no brainer. Plus the Blu Ray has audio advantages also (lossless audio). Rant over.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 14, 2012 15:43

whitem8
I have the DVD. The picture is wonderful. I have a 52 inch plasma and the resolution and picture ratio is stunning.
I don't have a DVD player yet

Then how do you watch it on your TV ???

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: January 14, 2012 15:47

Rolling Hansie
whitem8
I have the DVD. The picture is wonderful. I have a 52 inch plasma and the resolution and picture ratio is stunning.
I don't have a DVD player yet

Then how do you watch it on your TV ???

LOL!

Date: January 14, 2012 16:40

I meant to type, blue ray. I don't have a blue ray:-)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 14, 2012 16:41

whitem8
I meant to type, blue ray. I don't have a blue ray:-)

which color ray do you have?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 14, 2012 17:04

whitem8
I have the DVD, and the picture is PHENOMENAL! Really, this is one of the best live Stones DVD. It is astonishing that the Stones waited so long to release such a fantastic film. The picture is wonderful. I have a 52 inch plasma and the resolution and picture and picture ratio is stunning. It is like they are in your living room. Awesome!
I don't have a blue ray DVD player yet... Some Girls give me money...

Can we come round and party with you? I'll bring a bottle of Jack to start the party off!

Date: January 15, 2012 03:29

sure silver come on over! but you have a bit a travel I suspect. I am in Jakarta Indonesia.

Date: January 15, 2012 12:31

Youngie
Father Ted

Surely since all theatrically released concerts which have been shot on film will look better on Blu Ray.

Live In Texas Blu Ray looks amazing and I only have a 28 inch screen. Not even LCD or plasma. thumbs up

Well I suppose in theory they should look better on a blu disk but that is not always the case. New Disney/Pixar films look incredible on blu, as do some of the restored older animations. However some restorations of live action films (last year's blu re-released of Predator comes to mind) have been sub-standard, whereas the transfers of Psycho, The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music were superb. It really comes down to how much money a studio is prepared to spend to have an old analogue film cleaned up for transfer. (All theatrical releases are shown at a definition way beyond that of blu ray and have been for decades!).

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: January 15, 2012 15:40

flairville
1997-V9KJ-V27Z

Thank you very much!

Just bought the L+G set. Couldn't justify it at the original price but for under 30 it's probably worth it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 15, 2012 18:54

still ill
flairville
1997-V9KJ-V27Z

Thank you very much!

Just bought the L+G set. Couldn't justify it at the original price but for under 30 it's probably worth it.

Worth it...seems debatable for the book. Perhaps, 'less painful' is more accurate.

I'm on the fence, almost hoping it goes up again so I have an excuse to not buy it.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: January 16, 2012 03:01

treaclefingers
still ill
flairville
1997-V9KJ-V27Z

Thank you very much!

Worth it...seems debatable for the book. Perhaps, 'less painful' is more accurate.

I'm on the fence, almost hoping it goes up again so I have an excuse to not buy it.

I know what you mean, i often think like that if i'm 50/50 about buying something. In this case although i have L+G and Stones in Exile saved on Sky+, i hadn't bought them on dvd so i couldn't pass on this really.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2012 18:43

still ill
treaclefingers
still ill
flairville
1997-V9KJ-V27Z

Thank you very much!

I know what you mean, i often think like that if i'm 50/50 about buying something. In this case although i have L+G and Stones in Exile saved on Sky+, i hadn't bought them on dvd so i couldn't pass on this really.

Definitely! If I didn't already own the DVD, and Stones in Exile I would have purchased. But for the book and a scarf....dunno

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 16, 2012 19:15

Youngie
Father Ted

If you don't have an HDTV (LCD or plasma), then you will see no difference between DVD and blu-ray. Regular TVs are incapable of showing beyond 480p resolution.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2049
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home