Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Keith's skull ring already at Nellcote?
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: January 3, 2010 14:02

In Robert Greefields "A season in Hell with the RS" it is mentioned on pages 89/90 that

"it was Keith who opened up the harbourmaster's face by punching him with his right hand, the one on which he wore his heavy silver skull ring, thereby proving that his signature piece of jewellery was not only ornamental but also of great use in a brawl."

This cannot be correct, because

- I never saw a picture of this period, that shows Keith wearing this ring (maybe someone can have a look in the Exile book)
- and Courts&Hackett claim that the ring was a birthday present for his 35th B'day (1978).

So...?

Re: Keith's skull ring already at Nellcote?
Posted by: blessed_poison ()
Date: January 3, 2010 15:21

Hi,

Keith was presented the ring Dec. 18th 1979, he did not have it in 1978, it was in the process of being hollowed out, and changes being made to it during that time.

Date: January 3, 2010 15:42

blessed_poison
Hi,

Keith was presented the ring Dec. 18th 1979, he did not have it in 1978, it was in the process of being hollowed out, and changes being made to it during that time.

Sorry, but I think C&H knows it better

"In 1978 the celebrated London goldsmiths David Courts and Bill Hackett were working on a small scale silver sculpture of a human skeleton. Using a real skull for reference they carved a perfect miniature replica which they then moulded. When the hollow wax skull was removed from its mould the inspiration for the ring was born. Further experimentation led to the creation of the original silver skull ring. At the same time an invitation arrived from Keith Richards to his birthday party in New York - so Bill and David decided that the new ring would make a fantastic present. From the moment he put it on his finger, the magic began and he has worn it ever since.

Since Keith put on the original Courts and Hackett skull ring in 1978, David and Bill have received countless requests for a copy but their original decision that the ring should remain unique has meant that there is no replica mould and no duplicates."

Posted by: blessed_poison ()
Date: January 3, 2010 17:16

Hi,

Maybe, I will check my e-mails. David Courts and myself starting e-mailing back in 2006, and the idea of doing a ring was brought up, and somewhat rejected, only to be reserected a month or so later. The story may be a bit different than on his blog or website since he had a profesional do his site, and since through out most of 79' including The New Barbarians tour I never seen him wear it I tend to believe it was at the end of 79. The most important thing though is that David and Bill got together once again after going seperate ways to bring this "new" ring to life.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 3, 2010 17:36

I recall seeing 'other' skull rings or a skull ring prior to the one he has worn forever since he got it.

Look at those pictures of 1891-82 - he doesn't wear it on his ring finger like he did later on, which was evident starting in 1989.

Posted by: Elliott ()
Date: January 3, 2010 17:40

Keith had his first skull ring in 1974-1975 !!!
(have a look on your books)

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 3, 2010 17:47

1891 - was that when the band first started? That would be a bit "Interview with the Vampire - esque"

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 3, 2010 17:56

letitloose
1891 - was that when the band first started? That would be a bit "Interview with the Vampire - esque"

Nope, that was 99 years after the American Tour. see here
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 3, 2010 18:34

Roadster32
In Robert Greefields "A season in Hell with the RS" it is mentioned on pages 89/90 that

"it was Keith who opened up the harbourmaster's face by punching him with his right hand, the one on which he wore his heavy silver skull ring, thereby proving that his signature piece of jewellery was not only ornamental but also of great use in a brawl."

- I never saw a picture of this period, that shows Keith wearing this ring (maybe someone can have a look in the Exile book)
- and Courts&Hackett claim that the ring was a birthday present for his 35th B'day (1978).

So...?

So, the book is loaded with sooooo many mistakes !
Greenfield wrote many stories from hearsay in this book.
A big disappointment if we compare this one with his other book "S.T.P. - A Journey Through America With the Rolling Stones".

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 3, 2010 20:08

A Season In Hell was very dissapointing. I got the impression he was just like "time to cash in with another stones book" and just gathered a bunch of b old stories and interviews, writing some stuff here and there trying to tie it together with very little thought going into it. A bunch of crap.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-03 22:59 by ryanpow.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 3, 2010 21:27

open-g
letitloose

Nope, that was 99 years after the American Tour. see here
[www.iorr.org]

open-g -- thank you for posting this link!!! I just had a long read. I dropped into that thread last month but didn't read back and had no idea it was a year-long brilliant epic thread of the century (actually, like 3-4 centuries winking smiley)

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 3, 2010 22:18

Roadster32

So...?

Roadster ,you're right for the quote .

Same with my book.

Actually ,I didn't like reading/to read the book that much..
Sounds like doubtful crap.....

Great stuff from Gary........

Over the past 30 years Keith Richards silver skull ring has taken on its own mythology and iconic status. The most famous ring in the world has come to signify not only Keith Richards the man – seen wearing it at every gig and in every photograph – but Rock and Roll itself. The ring has inspired both an international cult following and unlimited fake copies. There have been countless claims as to who designed and made the original but this is the true story.

In 1978 the celebrated London goldsmiths David Courts and Bill Hackett were working on a small scale silver sculpture of a human skeleton. Using a real skull for reference they carved a perfect miniature replica which they then moulded. When the hollow wax skull was removed from its mould the inspiration for the ring was born. Further experimentation led to the creation of the original silver skull ring. At the same time an invitation arrived from Keith Richards to his birthday party in New York – so Bill and David decided that the new ring would make a fantastic present. From the moment he put it on his finger, the magic began and he has worn it ever since.

Since Keith put on the original Courts and Hackett skull ring in 1978, David and Bill have received countless requests for a copy but their original decision that the ring should remain unique has meant that there is no replica mould and no duplicates.

Now, for the first time and only available from them is a magnificent new deaths head ring sculpted from the same human skull used for the original.

Using unique techniques developed in their workshop they have created the ultimate skull ring. Exquisite details include an immaculately carved bone structure, individual teeth and finely engraved cranium.

Crafted in solid 925 silver each ring will be stamped with the Courts and Hackett hallmark guaranteeing authenticity, date, materials used and country of origin.
Since Keith put on the original Courts and Hackett skull ring in 1978, David and Bill have received countless requests for a copy but their original decision that the ring should remain unique has meant that there is no replica mould and no duplicates.

[garyrocks.wordpress.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 4, 2010 18:59

So he had a skull ring, just not the one we all know of now.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:08

"it was Keith who opened up the harbourmaster's face by punching him with his right hand..."

Judging by his prose style, Greenfield probably read a lot of comic books.

Date: January 4, 2010 19:16

Don't know when this picture was taken, I guess some press conference or whatever in 72 or so, but the ring clearly is not the one he has on the back cover of Talk Is Cheap etc...

And this is from the LA sessions for Exile:

Date: January 4, 2010 19:17

Not the same ring here either (it won't allow it to make the picture):

[media.photobucket.com]

Date: January 4, 2010 22:39

[www.courtsandhackett.com]

Since the late 1970's, this skull ring has adorned Keith's finger.

He had a skull & bones one that he previously wore in 1969 ,am I right ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 4, 2010 22:57

"He had a skull & bones one that he previously wore in 1969 ,am I right ?"

Don't know never seen it, maybe someone has pic to offer?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 4, 2010 22:58

skipstone
Don't know when this picture was taken, I guess some press conference or whatever in 72 or so, but the ring clearly is not the one he has on the back cover of Talk Is Cheap etc...

I would guess that top picture is from 77 or 78 skipstone.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 4, 2010 23:00

99% of these journalists who write about the stones are such a joke.so overly dramatic "a season in hell" uh,yeah-a bunch of millionare rock stars living in mansions,driving rolls royces,the best drugs and drink available 24/7 ,surrounded by models and actresses and playing on the best equipment money can buy for their millions of fans...

"a season in hell" would be,oh i dont know...storming the beaches of normandy in ww11,running up the beaches under mortar fire...a story about rebuilding your life after the tsunami...."a season in hell" ...jeeeeezus christ

Date: January 7, 2010 18:07

lem motlow
99% of these journalists who write about the stones are such a joke.so overly dramatic "a season in hell" uh,yeah-a bunch of millionare rock stars living in mansions,driving rolls royces,the best drugs and drink available 24/7 ,surrounded by models and actresses and playing on the best equipment money can buy for their millions of fans...

"a season in hell" would be,oh i dont know...storming the beaches of normandy in ww11,running up the beaches under mortar fire...a story about rebuilding your life after the tsunami...."a season in hell" ...jeeeeezus christ

Well ,I reckon you're right.
I wish I could find the right translation for what the book repeled to me .I think it's the book about the Stones that I 've liked the less to read/reading .
As an non english native ,A season in hell " sounded more like Up & Downs

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: January 7, 2010 18:10

ryanpow
skipstone

I would guess that top picture is from 77 or 78 skipstone.

I'd agree with '77,'78, as it looks to me like Keith around the time of his trial.

Date: January 7, 2010 18:12

If anyone could "translate " in better words what I wrote above :
.I think it's the book about the Stones that I 've liked the less to read/reading . ... he/she would be so kind .Thanks .cool smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 7, 2010 18:15

I got a nice copy (looks just like the picture on Talk Is Cheap) for Christmas, as did my cousin, Sean.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 7, 2010 18:33

SwayStones
.I think it's the book about the Stones that I 've liked the less to read/reading . ... he/she would be so kind .Thanks .cool smiley

I think it's the book about the stones that I liked least.

hmm, I left out "to read" but that's what you usually do with books, innit?

Date: January 7, 2010 18:45

open-g
SwayStones

I think it's the book about the stones that I liked least.

hmm, I left out "to read" but that's what you usually do with books, innit?

Many thanks for your tranlation ,open-g !smiling smiley
Yes,usually I" read " my books (lol )..... apart from some Stones books when I only look at the pictures (Mick 's ones of course )

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: January 7, 2010 20:51

yikes brother.... my precious, the ring....its big enough to do danage but kieth would have to really wind up in that condition....i thought it was a handgun,or knife no??

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 7, 2010 21:08

Date: January 7, 2010 21:10

The point is, Keith had A skull ring, just not THE skull ring.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: January 7, 2010 21:19

yes no question

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home