Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
No need to write a new album...
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 25, 2011 21:33

The Stones don't need to write a new album. They just need to go back and get this good stuff:

1. Not the way to go

2. Dancing Girl

3. You Should Have Seen Her Ass

4. It's all wrong

5. Fast Talking Slow Walking

6. Misty Roads

7. I need you

8. Fiji Jin

9. What gives you the right?

10. She never listen to me

11. Chainsaw rocker

12. You got it made

OMG...what a great album!

Re: No need to write a new album...
Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: December 25, 2011 21:39

Now that is a great post. Thanks

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 25, 2011 21:39

Each to their own. I'd define 'great' as a song of the calibre of 'Gimme Shelter', 'Moonlight Mile' or 'Winter', not an unfinished throwaway.

This stuff belongs on bootlegs or at best on a bonus CD/anthology style release.

To dig out 40 year old outtakes and pass them off as a 'new' album would be the ultimate in barrel scraping. Its like something you'd expect from the estates of Elvis or Jimi Hendrix, not from am 'active' band with three songwriters.

How desperate are we that 2012 versions of these songs as a new record would be deemed to be a positive move? It would be a bad joke if they did something like that.

Date: December 25, 2011 22:12

They have done something similar with 'Tattoo You' - one of their biggest commercial success - and i don't think it would be so outrageous "to dig out 40 year old outtakes and pass them off as a 'new' album".
Imho this would certainly be a great Stones album, not a masterpiece...and prevents the danger of listening other 'Streets of Love', 'Sweet Neo Con', 'Look what the cat...', 'Infamy' and similar horrible songs!

Date: December 25, 2011 22:30

'Something similar' ?

They're not remotely alike. Most of Tattoo You consisted of songs that were 1-3 years old and the oldest was 8-9 years old. This was at a time when the band were putting out a new record every 12-18 months.

Quite a lot of Stones albums include songs that were written for previous albums but took a long gestation period - Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, GHS, Steel wheels, bigger bang and others. The difference being that back then the period they were left in the can was relatibely short.

An '8-9 year old' outtake now would be a song written for 'A Bigger Bang' or maybe 'Alfie'.

'You should have seen her ass' is better than 'Laugh I Nearly Died'? Seriously?

This is meant to be the greatest rock n roll band in the world. A band with that reputation should have high standards. How low have expectations sunk that fans think should be scraping around for 40 year old songs? They're not THAT bereft of ideas (and Jagger's lyrics on the Exile and Some Girls bonus songs suggest he's not quite out of inspiration yet)

If people are so anxious to avoid 'new' songs, then maybe its better for them that the band never record another note.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-25 22:33 by Gazza.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 25, 2011 22:38

Gazza
If people are so anxious to avoid 'new' songs, then maybe its better for them that the band never record another note.

a well-bribed engineer could "accidentally" forget to hit the record button and spare us all...

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 25, 2011 22:52

I think that they MUST make a new studio album, after 7 years since the last studio album and in the 50th Band Birthday!It's not a money matter, not business...Only pride and glory, they are still able to make a great album!!

Date: December 25, 2011 22:55

...What about an "Anthology" with video/Audio contents of their career like the Beatles "Anthology" in the '90?!?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 25, 2011 22:58

StonesTod
Gazza

a well-bribed engineer could "accidentally" forget to hit the record button and spare us all...

points well taken but lets face it only diehards will bother buying or listening , just the cold hard truth

Date: December 25, 2011 23:13

melillo
StonesTod
Gazza

points well taken but lets face it only diehards will bother buying or listening , just the cold hard truth

nothing wrong with the truth. nothing wrong with being old and irrelevant, either.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 25, 2011 23:26

To have it said in encyclopedias of rock in the future that they were a creative band in the course of 50 years or more, I think the Stones have got to release a studio album of new songs, even if it be represented with one song only during concerts.

And fans who would not have such an album, might abstain from buying it themselves, instead of denying others the privilege to obtain one album more.

Date: December 25, 2011 23:47

Witness
And fans who would not have such an album, might abstain from buying it themselves, instead of denying others the privilege to obtain one album more.

how can one fan deny another fan from obtaining, short of physical violence?

Date: December 26, 2011 00:01

Gazza
'Something similar' ?

They're not remotely alike. Most of Tattoo You consisted of songs that were 1-3 years old and the oldest was 8-9 years old. This was at a time when the band were putting out a new record every 12-18 months.

Quite a lot of Stones albums include songs that were written for previous albums but took a long gestation period - Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, GHS, Steel wheels, bigger bang and others. The difference being that back then the period they were left in the can was relatibely short.

An '8-9 year old' outtake now would be a song written for 'A Bigger Bang' or maybe 'Alfie'.

This is meant to be the greatest rock n roll band in the world. A band with that reputation should have high standards. How low have expectations sunk that fans think should be scraping around for 40 year old songs? They're not THAT bereft of ideas (and Jagger's lyrics on the Exile and Some Girls bonus songs suggest he's not quite out of inspiration yet)

I agree with you, a band with that reputation should have high standards.
But if i consider 40 Licks new songs and last two albums, especially ABB, they don't have 'high standards' and many songs are just fillers with very poor lyrics. These are signs of lack of inspiration. So, if you consider the use of old outtakes a loss of credibility for the band, imho it's the only opportunity they have to make a great album.

Date: December 26, 2011 00:04

Addressed to Stones Tod: I think you are capable of understanding, what was implied with that sentence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-26 00:08 by Witness.

Date: December 26, 2011 00:13

Witness
Addressed to Stones Tod: I think you are capable of understanding, what was implied with that sentence.

but i'm not; enlighten me. 'tis the season of giving...and stuff.

Date: December 26, 2011 00:22

KRiffhard

But if i consider 40 Licks new songs and last two albums, especially ABB, they don't have 'high standards' and many songs are just fillers with very poor lyrics. These are signs of lack of inspiration. So, if you consider the use of old outtakes a loss of credibility for the band, imho it's the only opportunity they have to make a great album.

These are not so established facts, as it is presented, but a subjective view. Of course, that objection applies to the contrary view as well.

Date: December 26, 2011 00:37

ABB has been a good album:Rough Justice,Laugh I nearly died,it won't take long,She saw me coming, rain fall down are great songs!!I agree with the Witness'point of view, they must make another studio album of new stuff to be still a "creative" Band according the story and they have still the capacity to make it!

Date: December 26, 2011 01:19

KRiffhard
Gazza
'Something similar' ?

I agree with you, a band with that reputation should have high standards.

I dont think ABB is a poor album. Its all personal taste, I suppose. There's some poor songs on it, but many more good ones.

Theres nothing there to suggest that those 'scrapings' could be made into anything better than half decent.

Theres more likelihood of a band with three songwriters being capable of making a good record out of recently composed songs.

Maybe we should just give them a chance to try instead of dismissing it as awful before they even do so ?

However, they dont have to make a great new record. It doesnt matter at this stage.

Even if they did, I think some fans would find it hard to accept that they had, anyway.

Being so bereft of ideas that they have to dig out GHS leftovers at this stage would be the Stones' equivalent credibility wise of Elvis' worst movie soundtracks or the time RCA sanctioned the release of a 1974 live album called 'Having Fun with Elvis on stage', which consisted of nothing more than two sides of him joking with the audience between songs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-26 01:21 by Gazza.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 26, 2011 01:33

young people are not attracted to buy stones albums which hurts sales IMO

Date: December 26, 2011 01:38

You could say that about 90% of the artists that readers of this forum like.

Sales arent everything. And few people buy albums now anyway.

Even Bob Dylan has had a number 1 album in his late 60s.

Plus, the Stones had a massive hit with the Exile reissue, so its not like their audience has given up on them entirely.

A Stones album should sell well if its marketed properly - especially on a tour seen by millions of people.

UMG have done a better job so far than EMI did. They should be capable of delivering an adequate promotion on a new Stones studio album. It would help if the band played the songs for more than a couple of months after they release it AND included the album with the price of a concert ticket.

Young people arent interested in (and cant afford) Stones concert tickets either. The band still sell plenty of tickets. If they can get those people to their concerts instead of excluding them, they might persuade them to buy their new music too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-26 01:42 by Gazza.

Date: December 26, 2011 01:41

Gazza
Maybe we should just give them a chance to try instead of dismissing it as awful before they even do so ?

i tried that once...got burned...from now on it's early dismissal...

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 26, 2011 03:39

stones are still great just listen to superheavy cd some of the songs could have for the stones without the raping,MICK JAGGER STILL MAKES VALID MUSIC, I hope the stones do make few more cds with new songs.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: December 26, 2011 04:47

Gazza
Theres more likelihood of a band with three songwriters being capable of making a good record out of recently composed songs.

I get your point Gazza, but sifting the very best of *several decades* of outtakes by the "world's greatest" rock and roll band vs. whatever filler they might come up with between a couple of good new songs over the course of a couple of months nowadays, I wouldn't think would be so similar to such obviously desperate attempts by the estates of Elvis, Beach Boys, the Beatles, Hendrix find total left over scraps.

The songs chosen by the OP don't all quite appeal to me personally, but I do like the Keith "You Got it Made" example. For myself, I would be happy with these below...

I love ladies...

Separately...

Gangster's Moll

Jah is Not dead

Also, as for the three songwriters, I'm not sure Ron Wood would get the opportunity this time around (though I imagine it might be a good idea if he did).

I am also reminded in one of the interviews with Keith promoting the recent Exile release he mentions listening to some bit he and Mick are remarking where Taylor seems to sound especially good and then they realize it is something they have with BB King. That sounded interesting.

And, for whatever it's worth Don Was mentioning some song in the archives that hasn't escaped onto bootlegs that he considers would be a popular "hit" if it was released.

Well, I am not holding my breath, but I can't help but feel a judicious mix of some old overlooked gems alongside with the best of whatever they come up with now, might be a nice formula.

smiling smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 26, 2011 07:27

mailexile67
ABB has been a good album:Rough Justice,Laugh I nearly died,it won't take long,She saw me coming, rain fall down are great songs!!I agree with the Witness'point of view, they must make another studio album of new stuff to be still a "creative" Band according the story and they have still the capacity to make it!

Well, we certainly define "great" differently. If "She Saw Me Coming is "great" what's "Gimme Shelter"?

Date: December 26, 2011 08:28

SweetThing

..........., but sifting the very best of *several decades* of outtakes by the "world's greatest" rock and roll band vs. whatever filler they might come up with between a couple of good new songs over the course of a couple of months nowadays, .......

To my belief, there never (or seldom) really have been fillers on Stones releases during their existence, but rather tracks that people do not like or in some instances even outright dislike. In this context it may be an interesting observation to remind everyone of what seems to be a fact; for rather many songs it is not established beyond discussion, which tracks are incontestably good and which are not, even if there are or might be majority and minority views. It also seems that this share of disputed songs have been higher after the '68 - '72 period, due to the songs themselves or argueably to the listeners' states of mind, confronted with a band that had its longlasting defining moment up to these years. As an alternative to the fillers pespective, indirectly is told that there is a diversity of approaches to rock music in the Rolling Stones output. Not meaning that everything is equally good.

This would lead to the situation, that it is not obvious which tracks ought to be included in a possible new album as non-"fillers". The outcome of all this to me would be that songs found suited by the band, are "good enough" for me. More vaults releases might then preferably be postponed to a later point in time not to far away.

Date: December 26, 2011 09:06

71Tele
mailexile67
ABB has been a good album:Rough Justice,Laugh I nearly died,it won't take long,She saw me coming, rain fall down are great songs!!.......................

Well, we certainly define "great" differently. If "She Saw Me Coming is "great" what's "Gimme Shelter"?

The question not directed to me, I would suggest vintage.

What at a much later time possibly may be the verdict also of the decidedly controversial "Sweet Neocon" song, with its once again glimpse of an open reference to politics and elements of the world situation in the time period during which aBB was created.
According to my view, the track's (in a positive sense) "harsh" melody as well as musical arrangement (in addition to the controversial element) may have contributed to it having been neglected or dismissed. However, text tendency and music might be taken to be in harmony with each other.

Date: December 26, 2011 13:47

Gimme shelter is the definitive masterpiece!

Date: December 26, 2011 15:40

Witness
SweetThing

..........., but sifting the very best of *several decades* of outtakes by the "world's greatest" rock and roll band vs. whatever filler they might come up with between a couple of good new songs over the course of a couple of months nowadays, .......

To my belief, there never (or seldom) really have been fillers on Stones releases during their existence, but rather tracks that people do not like or in some instances even outright dislike. In this context it may be an interesting observation to remind everyone of what seems to be a fact; for rather many songs it is not established beyond discussion, which tracks are incontestably good and which are not, even if there are or might be majority and minority views. It also seems that this share of disputed songs have been higher after the '68 - '72 period, due to the songs themselves or argueably to the listeners' states of mind, confronted with a band that had its longlasting defining moment up to these years. As an alternative to the fillers pespective, indirectly is told that there is a diversity of approaches to rock music in the Rolling Stones output. Not meaning that everything is equally good.

This would lead to the situation, that it is not obvious which tracks ought to be included in a possible new album as non-"fillers". The outcome of all this to me would be that songs found suited by the band, are "good enough" for me. More vaults releases might then preferably be postponed to a later point in time not to far away.

could someone translate this into something coherent?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 26, 2011 16:05

Are ya all, except for KRIFFHARD, taking the piss?!?!?!?!

A record based on I Need You, Separately, Misty Roads, It's All Wrong and Family would arguably become one of their finest ever!!!

I Need You as a lead single with Keef on lead vox!!! Now THAT would be a bold move!!!!

You're a rag trade girl, You're the queen of porn, You're the easiest lay on the white house lawn!!

Date: December 26, 2011 16:19

StonesTod

could someone translate this into something coherent?

It is not agreement on which tracks that are good and not that good. It means that a song that which is a socalled filler to one person, might be an attraction or at any rate good enough for another. And this picture seems to be more prevalent for Stones songs from after '68 - '72 than during or before those years.

If this is the case, I would not have the taste of another fan selecting which tracks should be included, and which left out. Because then I would certainly miss tracks of the latter category.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home