Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: No need to write a new album...
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 28, 2012 00:09

Gazza
Each to their own. I'd define 'great' as a song of the calibre of 'Gimme Shelter', 'Moonlight Mile' or 'Winter', not an unfinished throwaway.

This stuff belongs on bootlegs or at best on a bonus CD/anthology style release.

To dig out 40 year old outtakes and pass them off as a 'new' album would be the ultimate in barrel scraping. Its like something you'd expect from the estates of Elvis or Jimi Hendrix, not from am 'active' band with three songwriters.

How desperate are we that 2012 versions of these songs as a new record would be deemed to be a positive move? It would be a bad joke if they did something like that.

I agree 100%. The Stones need to make a new CD. Besides, this music is inferior.

Date: June 28, 2012 00:16

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
what's the difference if a song was written in 1977 or 2012?

my abacus says: 35 years.

Means nothing. Not always.

damn my abacus, then.

I don't know anything about a abacus but I do know about a Bacchus.

Date: June 28, 2012 00:19

Gazza's right. I can't see a 'new' LP of songs covering a span of 30 some years or whatever. It's more about a anthology type release or what they've done with the extra discs from EXILE and SOME GIRLS (seeing that they'll never do any kind of anythology equivalent to what The Beatles did).

That's what I would prefer anyway, regardless of them being updated ("finished"). I'd like to have those songs in the highest audio quality. Anthology, stand alone "album" or extra disc with a reissue.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: June 28, 2012 00:27

melillo
StonesTod
Gazza
If people are so anxious to avoid 'new' songs, then maybe its better for them that the band never record another note.

a well-bribed engineer could "accidentally" forget to hit the record button and spare us all...

points well taken but lets face it only diehards will bother buying or listening , just the cold hard truth

put me down as a diehard then. An LP of all blues ala claptons' 'from the cradle' or something similar to 'stripped' but better thought-out with just slow blues....you can keep the 40 year old outtakes..

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 28, 2012 00:42

lunar!!!
melillo
StonesTod
Gazza
If people are so anxious to avoid 'new' songs, then maybe its better for them that the band never record another note.

a well-bribed engineer could "accidentally" forget to hit the record button and spare us all...

points well taken but lets face it only diehards will bother buying or listening , just the cold hard truth

put me down as a diehard then. An LP of all blues ala claptons' 'from the cradle' or something similar to 'stripped' but better thought-out with just slow blues....you can keep the 40 year old outtakes..

the boring way the stones have been doing the blooze the past 3 decades is enough to give me the...yeah...those....

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 28, 2012 13:37

threw on Bridges the other day in the car....I swear I heard more than half of ABB on there....and that's the problem....

Date: June 28, 2012 14:30

Rip This
threw on Bridges the other day in the car....I swear I heard more than half of ABB on there....and that's the problem....

that you threw it on? perhaps the prob is resolved by placing the disc gently into the slot...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 28, 2012 18:42

flilflam
Gazza
Each to their own. I'd define 'great' as a song of the calibre of 'Gimme Shelter', 'Moonlight Mile' or 'Winter', not an unfinished throwaway.

This stuff belongs on bootlegs or at best on a bonus CD/anthology style release.

To dig out 40 year old outtakes and pass them off as a 'new' album would be the ultimate in barrel scraping. Its like something you'd expect from the estates of Elvis or Jimi Hendrix, not from am 'active' band with three songwriters.

How desperate are we that 2012 versions of these songs as a new record would be deemed to be a positive move? It would be a bad joke if they did something like that.

I agree 100%. The Stones need to make a new CD. Besides, this music is inferior.

I disagree. This music is far superior to BTB, Forty Licks new songs and ABB:

1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
8. Living in the heart of love
9. Save Me (aka Criss Cross Man)
10. Hillside Blues
Bonus tracks: Dancing Girls - It's all wrong

Date: July 8, 2012 01:02

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 8, 2012 17:57

StonesTod
lunar!!!
melillo
StonesTod
Gazza

the boring way the stones have been doing the blooze the past 3 decades is enough to give me the...yeah...those....

Exactly! I always wonder about people wishing the Stones now to do a blues album.
That would be dreadful and at least Jagger knows it . .

Date: July 8, 2012 18:10

CousinC
StonesTod
lunar!!!
melillo
StonesTod
Gazza

Exactly! I always wonder about people wishing the Stones now to do a blues album.

prolly so....their last blooze or bloozey song that had something interesting about it was break the spell. since then, it's been the auto-pilot blooze parade...

Date: July 8, 2012 19:53

KRiffhard
1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
10. Hillside Blues

New album is ready!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-08 20:04 by lunar!!!.

Date: July 8, 2012 19:59

CousinC
StonesTod
lunar!!!
melillo
StonesTod
Gazza

jagger evidently doesn't know @#$%! anymore-otherwise he would have realized how insanely lucrative this whole 50th anniversary BS is and had a new lp and gigs ready to roll way before this..if they suck at the blues and of course they can't rock anymore, and disco is out of the question, and the funk sounds fake...well..perhaps jagger will suggest the band perform an opera...all they need is a fat lady..or has she already sung?

Date: July 8, 2012 20:07

lunar!!!
KRiffhard
1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
10. Hillside Blues

New album is ready!

why don't they just release the 1961 demos with some chuck leavell and don was overdubs and call that the new lp....would that be OK?....

Date: July 9, 2012 00:23

lunar!!!
lunar!!!
KRiffhard
1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
10. Hillside Blues

New album is ready!

why don't they just release the 1961 demos with some chuck leavell and don was overdubs and call that the new lp....would that be OK?....

Useless sarcasm

Date: July 9, 2012 01:55

KRiffhard
lunar!!!
lunar!!!
KRiffhard
1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
10. Hillside Blues

New album is ready!

Useless sarcasm

useless stating the obvious...

Date: July 10, 2012 12:05

Hey Lunar,
what do you think about these songs?

1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
10. Hillside Blues

In your opinion could be included in a collection of outtakes or published as a new album a la Tattoo You?

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 10, 2012 12:21

The best thing for Stones fans ..and others..! is to write and record a NEW album,
for the remaining tracks they 'll see LATER.....

Date: July 10, 2012 12:40

jp.M
The best thing for Stones fans ..and others..! is to write and record a NEW album,
for the remaining tracks they 'll see LATER.....

...would not be better to take 10/12 of the best outtakes available and create an organic project as they did very well with Tatoo You?

Date: July 10, 2012 14:18

KRiffhard
Hey Lunar,
what do you think about these songs?

1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
10. Hillside Blues

In your opinion could be included in a collection of outtakes or published as a new album a la Tattoo You?

in lunar!!!'s opinion, this is possible, but of course to retain any sense of cohesion and integrity, you'd have to drop the lone voodoo outtake. otherwise, lunar!!! is fine with your TYII offering....

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: July 10, 2012 21:25

...They are so poor that must take ten-twelve Outtake of thirty-forty years ago?!?Aren't they to be able to make twelve rock-blues songs for an album of new stuff...After seven years...C'mon!!

Posted by: phelge45 ()
Date: July 10, 2012 22:42

Personally, I would rather hear them give it another go for a new studio album, what they did for the 40 Licks disc was in my opinion, half-assed at best. I'm 33 yrs old and didn't have the benefit of being around for the anticipation for so many of the new albums they were pumping out "back in the day"...I was a nervous, excited wreck when Voodoo Lounge, B2B and ABB came out, obviously those aren't in the spectrum of classic Stones albums, but regardless, very important moments for me. Only the band knows if their really inspired and prepared to go threw the process, unlike sooo many bands that have survived in different formations and with various degrees of success....practically NO one sells records anymore, yet those of us who still believe the Stones can at least deliver something respectable and are not concerned with comparing it to Exile, Some Girls etc, are hoping they do go against the grain and give the fans and the music world in general one final stamp on an already legendary career. And while I hate echoing the blind faith of the overzealous fantasies of a Wyman/Taylor reunion, nostalgic or not, it would be special for it to come as close to coming around full circle that it possibly could, to witness something old, but also entirely new....I'm done pontificating!

Date: July 11, 2012 01:17

phelge45
I'm 33 yrs old and didn't have the benefit of being around for the anticipation for so many of the new albums they were pumping out "back in the day"...

ok, but actuarily-speaking you'll be around long after most of us old-farts are dead and buried. so, quit yer bitchin'.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2012 01:25

StonesTod
phelge45
I'm 33 yrs old and didn't have the benefit of being around for the anticipation for so many of the new albums they were pumping out "back in the day"...

ok, but actuarily-speaking you'll be around long after most of us old-farts are dead and buried. so, quit yer bitchin'.

So you're saying he's bound to benefit from future superdeluxe releases of Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang and Rarities?

Will they observe a 20th anniversary of the rerelease of the Some Girls Deluxe album in 2031?

Date: July 11, 2012 01:45

treaclefingers
StonesTod
phelge45

So you're saying he's bound to benefit from future superdeluxe releases of Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang and Rarities?

Will they observe a 20th anniversary of the rerelease of the Some Girls Deluxe album in 2031?

yes. in fact, skippy has already prepreordered it....

Posted by: phelge45 ()
Date: July 11, 2012 07:02

No bitching here Skipper, I can't help when and what year I got spit out....that's why 1 last full length studio album would be icing on the cake, no matter how good, bad or average it is, it won't do a thing to their legacy, which will exist way past when I'm dead and gone as well

Date: July 11, 2012 07:06

StonesTod
CousinC
StonesTod
lunar!!!
melillo
StonesTod
Gazza

prolly so....their last blooze or bloozey song that had something interesting about it was break the spell. since then, it's been the auto-pilot blooze parade...

Bloooozinnn' - on a Sunday afternoooooon....

Date: July 11, 2012 07:08

treaclefingers
StonesTod
phelge45

No. But they will observe a 21st anniversary of it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2012 07:12

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers
StonesTod
phelge45

No. But they will observe a 21st anniversary of it.

I feel like we've had this argument before, only for a different topic.

OK, I'll bite. Isn't the Exile Deluxe going to be getting the 21st anniversary in 2031?

Date: July 11, 2012 11:32

Released in August 1981, Tattoo You is widely regarded as the Rolling Stones' last great album; an ingenious division of rock tracks on one side and ballads on the other captures "the world's greatest rock & roll band" close to their best. Nevertheless, despite the confident musicianship and apparent consistency of material, the record was actually little more than a compilation of tracks that had been discarded from previous albums, with virtually no new input from the musicians themselves. And it was Chris Kimsey who devised this idea out of necessity.
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, you see, were no longer on the best of terms. While the guitarist wanted the band to remain true to its rock and R&B roots, the frontman was more interested in movie acting and following contemporary trends, and the result was that neither fancied spending their nights together in the studio. So when the band's financial adviser, Prince Rupert Loewenstein, decreed that it was time to deliver a new album, Kimsey came up with the solution.
"Since I'd recorded a number of songs during Some Girls and Emotional Rescue that they'd never used, I assumed there must be other bits and pieces lying around," he explains. "So, I spent a couple of months going through all their tapes and I found these gems: 'Waiting On A Friend' and 'Tops' were from the Goat's Head Soup sessions; 'Slave' and 'Worried About You' were from Black & Blue; 'Start Me Up' was from Some Girls; and 'Hang Fire', 'Little T&A', 'Black Limousine', 'Neighbors', 'Heaven' and 'No Use In Crying' were from Emotional Rescue. I did rough mixes at Olympic of everything I'd found, sent them to the band members, and then began working on the tracks.
classic tracks kimsey.s
"Only 'Waiting On A Friend' was already complete. The main thing missing from most of them was Sir Mick's vocal, because he hadn't finished writing the lyrics, so those parts were recorded in Paris in mid-1981. They'd rented a bloody warehouse on the edge of the Peripherique [ring road] in a horrible part of the city — all industrial sites and train sidings... no restaurants! I don't know who'd found the warehouse, but it was big and cheap, they put the mobile truck inside there, and it was so cold that, when Mick did the vocals, you could see icy breath coming out of his mouth. I remember that place to this day. It was absolutely diabolical."
Not that the other band members were too concerned about this. After all, none of them showed up — Keith, who lived in Paris, would only show his face during the New York mix sessions. Instead, Kimsey was pretty much left to his own devices, and, fortunately for his blasé employers, he turned out an album that would top the US charts for nine weeks on the strength of an extensive stadium tour and the smash hit singles 'Start Me Up' and 'Waiting On A Friend'.

With the huge amount of good outtakes and hidden gems still available Chris Kimsey would create a great 'new' album.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home