Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: Country music
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 18, 2011 15:11

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
The kids around here love Miranda.
She rips off Steve Earle but she's a hair better looking so we don't care that much.

What's the big deal?

[www.dalewatson.com]

how was dale?

He was the country gentleman.
Played all our faves, posed for a pic, and I had a nice sandwich to boot.
You shoulda come...

i know, but i was too busy listening to country music in reverse order and got dis-oriented.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 18, 2011 15:16

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
She rips off Steve Earle but she's a hair better looking so we don't care that much.

What's the big deal?

[www.dalewatson.com]

how was dale?

You shoulda come...

i know, but i was too busy listening to country music in reverse order and got dis-oriented.

Understood
Try doing that while practicing your golf swing.

Damn...Jingle Bell Honky Tonk is still in my head....get it out

Date: December 18, 2011 15:18

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton

What's the big deal?

[www.dalewatson.com]

how was dale?

You shoulda come...

Understood
Try doing that while practicing your golf swing.

Damn...Jingle Bell Honky Tonk is still in my head....get it out

mosey on down to the broken spoke...they'll fix y'all up....

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 18, 2011 20:11

So many of Hank Williams Senior's songs are well known but his Ramblin' Man is a real cracker, I don't know if the words for it is eerie, haunted or what. It's one you don't hear as often. A bit chilling.

Crazy arms is one classic country song Willie Nelson wrote I believe. He's done some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 20:24 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 18, 2011 20:48

BroomWagon
Crazy arms is one classic country song Willie Nelson wrote I believe. He's done some.

no, willie didn't write it. chuck berry did a pretty cool vsn of it too....

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 18, 2011 20:51

BroomWagon
So many of Hank Williams Senior's songs are well known but his Ramblin' Man is a real cracker, I don't know if the words for it is eerie, haunted or what. It's one you don't hear as often. A bit chilling.

Ramblin' Man is surely a a good one... Another rarely heard one is "Mansion on a Hill"... My husband sings very similar to Hank, who is his favorite artist and he sings it all the time...and "You Win Again" is a favorite, so glad the Stones covered that one, but Keith sings country tunes with more feeling than Mick, he has country down in his soul IMO... Love when he sang "Hickory Wind" at the Gram Parson's tribute.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 18, 2011 21:42

Actually, Hank Jr got a little full of himself for me too but he did some great stuff in the 60s,70s and 80s. I kinda like Hank III more now...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 18, 2011 21:46

Blue
scottkeef
Blue
scottkeef
Miranda Lambert????? Good grief.....

Yes, Miranda Lambert, she is as country with country roots as anybody mentioned here..especially more than Ray Price..who was more a pop singer than country..take a listen to Kerosene or White Liar, certainly more talented than Hank Jr too..certainly more country twang than as Emmy-Lou Harris.

You shoulda just disagreed without trying to explain.You really showed your ignorance there. Bet you even listen to Zac Brown.... by the way, Ray Price did have a career before the slick downed 70s...

???? What is so ignorant about my comment??? Someone is ignorant because they don't listen to Zac Brown?? Why does that make someone ignorant?? I know Ray Price from the '60s ... And to me, he always sounded more pop.

No, you're ignorant if you DO listen to Zac Brown. And if this aint Honky Tonkin,sh-t kickin, hardwood floor country then you're beyond help:

(ray DOES like some good weed tho..)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 21:48 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 19, 2011 01:51

great traditional style...beautiful voice and she's easy on the eyes

Date: December 19, 2011 03:44

In country, I think there are songs to search out often rather than just listening to a particular artist.

I know some people here must know Phantom 309, that is such a boss song, Tom Waits even recorded it. And just session musicians on the Red Sovine original add in kick ### guitar and steel guitar. Son, if you haven't heard this, it's a real treat. Corny? Ah, I've always loved it.

Lyrics: [www.lyrics007.com]

Knights of the Highway.

Truckin' Music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-19 04:18 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 19, 2011 18:37

Date: December 19, 2011 20:09

Buddy and his wife Julie have created some great country music with beautiful vocal harmonies

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 19, 2011 20:27

Rollin' Stoner
Buddy and his wife Julie have created some great country music with beautiful vocal harmonies

Some great Christian recordings too.
He and Steve Earle were a match made between heaven and hell

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 19, 2011 20:56

Ray Price did Crazy Arms originally. It was written by Ralph Mooney, later Waylon Jennings' steel guitar player.

Jerry Lee Lewis' first ever single, for Sun in 1956, was a cover of Crazy Arms. He re-did it in 1965 for Country Songs For City Folks (the same album where Tom Jones heard Green Green Grass of Home), and, much later in 1989 with Dennis Quaid, for the Great Balls of Fire soundtrack.

Date: December 19, 2011 21:07

Ray Price and his?? What did the announcer say, Cherokee Cowboys?? They are performing at some New Year's bash put on by Willie Nelson it sounded like the announcer said. [en.wikipedia.org])

Mentioning Johnny Paycheck is good and I thought of him. There are a number of artists, the list is virtually endless,

Conway Twitty, I don't get into his music that much but when someone goes "Hello Darlin'" in a deep husky voice, well, that's his song.

Kathy Mattea did "Some day soon" and it's okay but it was really well done by Moe Bandy who I believe authored it, Rodeo Clown is good too.

Asleep at the wheel, Commander Cody, one of the modern incarnations as Bill Kirchen [billkirchen.com], Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Marty Robbins, quite a few, Marty Robbins more known for his gunslinger ballads as westerns were popular back in the day and did white sport coat which has to be sortof rock and roll.

The original single Pop a top is another lesser known country song I think is pretty good. Alan Jackson redid that, did Jackson also do "On the chatahoochie", I may be in the minority for a more modern country song, I think that's pretty good. [www.cowboylyrics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-19 21:10 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 19, 2011 21:11

Marty Robbins did some pretty tasty rockabilly, i.e. Tennessee Toddy, That's Alright Mama, Maybelline, Smokin Cigarettes & Drinkin Coffee Blues. He was also one of the first to hit big with a Bacharach David number "The Story of My Life".

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 19, 2011 21:48

skip all of Hank Williams JR

Date: December 19, 2011 23:19

Jr.'s got a Ernest Tubb type voice and is a top-notch guitar-slinger

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 19, 2011 23:47

Rollin' Stoner

RStoner you are da man on this thread, got a bit o country in them bones? Love this artists rendition of the country honkytonk angels, the "hair" bands obviously made their way through country too. I can just imagine the cocaine snortin' fatcat record co. exec who set them up for this album cover..lol peace.

Date: December 19, 2011 23:54

Naturalust
Rollin' Stoner

RStoner you are da man on this thread, got a bit o country in them bones? Love this artists rendition of the country honkytonk angels, the "hair" bands obviously made their way through country too. I can just imagine the cocaine snortin' fatcat record co. exec who set them up for this album cover..lol peace.
hey Naturalust...yep grew up in the country of Los Angeles...and still here only because of my immediate family....but yep, must be my Georgia roots or something like that, cause ive never felt at home here in all of my 52 years...that silver threads tune gets me every time...Linda Ronstadt does a hot version of it ive seen on youtube (when she was smokin hot in the 70s)...also dig Skeeter Davis' version....that song kills me..."in the warm glow of your wine"

Date: December 19, 2011 23:58

tomcasagranda
Marty Robbins did some pretty tasty rockabilly, i.e. Tennessee Toddy, That's Alright Mama, Maybelline, Smokin Cigarettes & Drinkin Coffee Blues. He was also one of the first to hit big with a Bacharach David number "The Story of My Life".

Yes, you sure know your stuff, we'll I knew he did that's alright mama, maybe everyone did that back in, This subject is probably elementary to you to be able to say that about Johnny Cash a few pages back and someone made some good recommendations with a Tommy Collins song earlier, quite the song writer.

Date: December 20, 2011 00:10

Oh, Silver Threads is really great, Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies recorded that in the late '60s, great version, I think that song did a lot to make people notice Ronstadt, her's is the best.

Date: December 20, 2011 00:16

This is way far away from even talking about country but Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies did Silver Threads and along with Different Drum was big in Ronstadt's early career.

Yeah, but these Honky Tonk Angelswe should be listening to instead, after all, they must have recorded their version about 30 years after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-20 00:31 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 20, 2011 00:22

eat yur heart out lady goo goo

Date: December 20, 2011 00:22

Good points TomCasaGrande.

I see people include Kris Kristofferson, gee, I don't know if he did that much country, maybe and Willie Nelson, I guess he defines country but I've never liked songs he did like "You were always on my mind", I think songs like that are rather weak in fact.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 20, 2011 00:26

BroomWagon
This is way far away from even talking about country but Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies did Silver Threads and along with Different Drum was big in Ronstadt's early career.

Yeah, but these Honky Tonk Angels with Tammy whomever maybe we should be listening to instead, after all, they must have recorded their version about 30 years after.

Linda had a nice album in 1970 called "Silk Purse" that I used to have, it had a great version of "Lovesick Blues" on it, and the whole album was recorded in Nashwille, with a definiite country flavor. She was quIte popular back then, I don't know if was ever on the country charts though.

Date: December 20, 2011 00:32

So that's Tammy Wynette up there, must be, still, what a commercially put together band to be raving about them.

Date: December 20, 2011 00:33

Thank you, Broomwagon.

I know what I like country-wise: I don't like the hat-acts, I don't like the Judds, and I don't like the over-produced Naffville garbage.

Miranda Lambert totally mangles a John Prine tune called "That's the Way The World Goes Round".

I think country, in its purest form, is a great musical genre. I grew up listening to Elvis Costello, and I started digging around after hearing King Of America and Almost Blue. For example Johnny Cash covering The Big Light.

In Britain we used to have a great DJ on Radio 3 called Andy Kershaw. He hipped me to the likes of Joe Tex singing "Buying A Book", James Carr doing "Life Just Turned Her That Way". He also played Ella Washington singing "He Called Me Baby" and Candi Staton singing "Stand By Your Man".

The above recordings are cases of black soul artists doing country. There's 2 cds on Trikont of black country, ranging from Solomon Burke, Ella Washington, Bobby Womack, and Gatemouth Brown.

This leads me to argue that some of the best country-leaning tracks were, or are, done by black artists. What are Joe Tex's recordings, but country done soulfully? Percy Sledge covered Dallas Frazier's True Love Travels on a Gravel Road, and Love Me Tender.

Then you have a country ballad like Another Place Another Time, Jerry Lee Lewis' comeback hit, which was covered by Arthur Alexander. Country done by the right artists, i.e. Cash, Lewis, George Jones, Charlie Rich, is white soul. Done wrong and it is turgid.

I even have a blues master, Little Milton, covering Behind Closed Doors.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 20, 2011 04:41

tomcasagranda
This leads me to argue that some of the best country-leaning tracks were, or are, done by black artists.

i.e. Cash, Lewis, George Jones, Charlie Rich, is white soul. Done wrong and it is turgid.

lmfao. Plenty of turgid (tediously pompous) music coming out of Nash-Vegas these days. Thanks for that word, can't wait to use it on the next grandiloquent act I have to sit through. peace.

Date: December 20, 2011 06:48

Eh, some general comments, this is long winded, sorry.

When You hear of Waylon Jennings, this guy was in Buddy Holly and The Crickets, he was with them on the tour in Iowa when the bus for the Crickets broke down and it was in the cold of winter, late January, early February, Bob Dylan saw Buddy Holly in Duluth on that tour but anyway, the bus broke down and Holly wanted to get to his next concert date and I think the travelling was just a hassle, heaters in buses breaking down and the like so they hired a plane, Waylon didn't fly on it but Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Richie Valens did, the day the music died is a book that describes this tragedy.

Willie Nelson may have some good music as the Red Haired Stranger, shorter hair, I've seen that album but man, songs like You were always on my mind, I'm not sure about.

I am a novice on Kris Kristoferrson, I know he wrote the famous Me and Bobbie McGee.

Anyway, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Jennings probably fitting the image more had a big success with what is called Outlaw country and a big album fashioned on this including Jessi Colter, a singer who I believe married her.

I thought Kristofferson was in the group too, maybe at one time.

2nd point, an official State song of Tennessee, they have 7 of them I came to find out is Rocky Top, a bit bluegrass which would be a variant of country, I was looking for Sneaky Pete and the Burrito's version but couldn't find it. Everyone including Buck Owens has sung this.

A if not The Bakersfield sound visionary was Tommy Collins, his sungs were sung by Merle, the Hag, the Okey from Muskogee, Merle Haggard and others such as Red Simpson, this is a nice easy going song.

I'm going down to Feather River canyon, got to go down, Donner Summit is closed, Roll, truck, roll....."

This sung by Haggard too, "there's ol bashful bob on the dog house bass and willie on the steel guitar, he hails from Pocatello and he drags a pretty mean bar..."

So, you might think, Bakersfield, I thought country came out of Nashville, that's true, that is the recording center at least...

You see, you've maybe heard of the famous "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck, during the Great Depression, Okies (from Oklahoma) and many others from states in very poor condition like Missouri, maybe Alabama, migrated to California for the jobs in the lush farmlands in California, orchards, vinyards, and basically, Bakersfield got that sound from the influx of many of these Southern Types migrating there in the 1930s, the sound probably blossomed in the 1960s, Johnny Cash, the man in black of course from Arkanasas, sang Folsom Prison blues but the truth is, Merle Haggard was a prisoner in Folsom Prison, not sure if Cash discovered him but all of Hag's really great songs, "Im a lonesome fugitive" etc. were inspired by Haggard's life, he was thrown in jail for grand auto theft but it has been pardoned since.

I know Germany has had some country, we shouldn't think country is only from the US. Of course, I don't know a whole lot about it on an international basis.

Smokey and the Bandit, Eastbound and Down...can't forget that one, it's popular, a movie theme, Rest in Peace Jerry Reed... who was often a bit of a crossover country to pop artist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-20 07:54 by BroomWagon.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home