Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Country music
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 18, 2011 01:40

scottkeef
Miranda Lambert????? Good grief.....

Yes, Miranda Lambert, she is as country with country roots as anybody mentioned here..especially more than Ray Price..who was more a pop singer than country..take a listen to Kerosene or White Liar, certainly more talented than Hank Jr too..certainly more country twang than as Emmy-Lou Harris.

Date: December 18, 2011 01:41

Blue
scottkeef

Yes, Miranda Lambert, she is as country with country roots as anybody mentioned here..especially more than Ray Price..who was more a pop singer than country..take a listen to Kerosene or White Liar, certainly more talented than Hank Jr too..certainly more country twang than as Emmy-Lou Harris.

more talented thank hank jr? are you drunk?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 18, 2011 01:43

ok...let's have a vote on who's the most country. i gotta go with Country Joe...hell, it's his first name even...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 18, 2011 01:44

StonesTod
NICOS
tatters
StonesTod

it's better to start at the beginning and work your way forward, doncha think? it gets very confusing otherwise...and some of these songs will start to sound really silly or something...or something....

I would start with country-rock. Byrds. Flying Burrito Brothers. Poco. Then I would work my way backwards from there into real country music. If you start off by listening to something from the 1920s or 1930s, it's too much of a culture shock. Same with blues. I would listen to 1950s Muddy Waters before trying to get into Robert Johnson.

I think Tatters is right on this, I didn't start with Robert Johnson or Willy Dixon first, I started with The Stones, Animals and Them and then I try to figure out where this music came from (although I didn't know this music had roots in '67), so if you want to know what country is start with the popular things from the radio and work your way back to the roots.

you people cheat. cheat, cheat, never beat....or something.

No StonesTod your right too I never start a book at chapter 10

Date: December 18, 2011 01:46

NICOS
StonesTod
NICOS
tatters
StonesTod

it's better to start at the beginning and work your way forward, doncha think? it gets very confusing otherwise...and some of these songs will start to sound really silly or something...or something....

I would start with country-rock. Byrds. Flying Burrito Brothers. Poco. Then I would work my way backwards from there into real country music. If you start off by listening to something from the 1920s or 1930s, it's too much of a culture shock. Same with blues. I would listen to 1950s Muddy Waters before trying to get into Robert Johnson.

I think Tatters is right on this, I didn't start with Robert Johnson or Willy Dixon first, I started with The Stones, Animals and Them and then I try to figure out where this music came from (although I didn't know this music had roots in '67), so if you want to know what country is start with the popular things from the radio and work your way back to the roots.

you people cheat. cheat, cheat, never beat....or something.

No StonesTod your right too I never start a book at chapter 10

if you're strapped for time, you can thumb through the table of contents or index or even get the cliff notes...but reading it backwards like it's some japanese newspaper is just plain wrong...

Date: December 18, 2011 01:49

keefriffhard4life
Blue
scottkeef

Hank Jr can't sing for sh&t. He sings stupid@ss songs..I don't think he very talented... Name a good country song by Hank Williams Jr.. Please don't say Rowsdy Friends or Hog Wild are really good songs....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 18, 2011 01:50

Blue
scottkeef

You shoulda just disagreed without trying to explain.You really showed your ignorance there. Bet you even listen to Zac Brown.... by the way, Ray Price did have a career before the slick downed 70s...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 01:53 by scottkeef.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 18, 2011 01:58

StonesTod
ok...let's have a vote on who's the most country. i gotta go with Country Joe...hell, it's his first name even...

What are we fightin' for? Don't ask me I don't give a damn..next stop is Vietnam ...yeah!!!

Date: December 18, 2011 02:07

scottkeef
Blue
scottkeef

You shoulda just disagreed without trying to explain.You really showed your ignorance there. Bet you even listen to Zac Brown.... by the way, Ray Price did have a career before the slick downed 70s...

???? What is so ignorant about my comment??? Someone is ignorant because they don't listen to Zac Brown?? Why does that make someone ignorant?? I know Ray Price from the '60s ... And to me, he always sounded more pop.

Date: December 18, 2011 02:12

Blue
scottkeef
Blue
scottkeef

???? What is so ignorant about my comment??? Someone is ignorant because they don't listen to Zac Brown?? Why does that make someone ignorant?? I know Ray Price from the '60s ... And to me, he always sounded more pop.

the pop life...that ain't no good life...but it's his life...or something

Date: December 18, 2011 02:17

Blue
keefriffhard4life
Blue
scottkeef

Hank Jr can't sing for sh&t. He sings stupid@ss songs..I don't think he very talented... Name a good country song by Hank Williams Jr.. Please don't say Rowsdy Friends or Hog Wild are really good songs....

hank jr has a great voice. his vocal style is ripped off but just about every male country artist today and they all suck and doing it. hank jr plays like 6 instruments too. what does miranda lambert do? stand there and strum a chord?

here is a great song hank jr wrote:

another great hank jr tune:

Date: December 18, 2011 02:42

Well, all his Dad did was strum a guitar and sing, and he was the greatest country singer of all time. Who cares how many instrument Hank JR plays. There is nothing special about these songs you posted, they are very mediocre, Hank Jrs voice is okay, but his choice of music is distasteful..he wants to be a bad@ss outlaw so bad, but just can't do it right. Now... George Jones does it right. Anyway...Miranda has a true, twangy, quality country sound and voice in the tradition of Tammy, Loretta, and Kitty Wells, and June Carter and her daughter Carlene IMHO.

Date: December 18, 2011 02:44

Poor Kirk isn't going to know who to listen to now!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 18, 2011 02:52

NICOS
tatters
StonesTod

Exactly. No one here started out listening to Leadbelly, and then worked their way forward chronologically to the Rolling Stones. We started with the Stones, then became curious about the records they listened to. Stones Tod may tell you he started out with Leadbelly, but he is a pathological liar .... or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 02:52 by tatters.

Date: December 18, 2011 03:01

Blue
Well, all his Dad did was strum a guitar and sing, and he was the greatest country singer of all time. Who cares how many instrument Hank JR plays. There is nothing special about these songs you posted, they are very mediocre, Hank Jrs voice is okay, but his choice of music is distasteful..he wants to be a bad@ss outlaw so bad, but just can't do it right. Now... George Jones does it right. Anyway...Miranda has a true, twangy, quality country sound and voice in the tradition of Tammy, Loretta, and Kitty Wells, and June Carter and her daughter Carlene IMHO.

whatever dude. hank jrs voice has a pretty wide range, much more than most country singers. he writes and sings about his lifestyle. not sure whats wrong with that. also you said miranda lambert was more talented which is why i mentioned how many instruments he plays as compared to her standing on stage singing generic modern country music

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 18, 2011 03:01

It's like asking what should I listen to with jazz, the music is virtually limitless.

I heard this after it's time but once I did, I could see what the big deal was, Charlie Daniels even sings of it in one of his songs. George Jones also does the famous 'white lightnin', yes, Bill Wyman has a song called that too, different one, Wyman's isn't too bad really.

Someone mentioned David Allen Coe who of course wrote this song below, so a good country song, not talking about how it is nowadays but like David Allen Coe sings below, for you to have a good country song, you've got to be singing about either prison or trains or mama or drinking, maybe he says trucks too.

You know, just like you have acts that dress up and do Beatles tribute shows, there are Johnny Cash tribute shows around, they have them in England at least, big deal too. They try to look just like the man in black.

Dylan did an album with Johnny Cash on it, personally, I think there's some Johnny Cash influences in Bruce Springsteen's music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 03:16 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 18, 2011 03:02

tatters
NICOS
tatters
StonesTod

You are right, when you really think about it...without hearing "Love in Vain" by the Stones, you would probably never of heard of Robert Johnson, let alone go back and listen to this incredible talent...,unless you were truly a blues enthusiast in the first place.

Exactly. No one here started out listening to Leadbelly, and then worked their way forward chronologically to the Rolling Stones. We started with the Stones, then became curious about the records they listened to. Stones Tod may tell you he started out with Leadbelly, but he is a pathological liar .... or something.

Date: December 18, 2011 03:15

that's right...I started out listening to ma rainey...didn't get around to huddie until years later...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 03:22 by StonesTod.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 18, 2011 03:16

The thing is that Johnny Cash is, in reality, a folk singer. He embraced the over-produced Naffville rubbish in the 70s and 80s, but Rick Rubin brought him back to his true senses with the American Recordings.

Cash was also one of the first concept artists, ranging from Songs Of Our Soil, Ride This Train, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Ballads of The True West, Bitter Tears, Everyone Loves A Nut.

At the same time, George Jones would release an album that had 2 hits and 10 fillers. So, Cash was way ahead of his time.

Date: December 18, 2011 03:23

I've got the Sun Recordings of Johnny Cash,

Ballad of a teen age queen, rock island line, Old '97, Folsom Prison blues, Walk the line, maybe a movie says he was folk music, Cry Cry Cry

Sun label was at least rock a billy, that's not folk. That's his roots.

Overproduced rubbish of Nashville in the '70s and '80s? That makes sense since Cash has been recording, maybe as far back as around 1955. Had a tv show in the '60s, sang San Quentin cerca '68, Folsom Prison around '62, just ball park estimates of the times he did these.

J. Cash was maybe in a slight decline in the '70s, I don't really want to say that about the great singer but with songs like "one piece at a time" about assembling a car, maybe that is justified.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 03:31 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 18, 2011 03:38

If you get Johnny Cash, I'd go with the classic Sun label, is that Memphis and the same label Elvis recorded for ? We're switching gears but I think so.

Hey Porter, Hey Porter ('50s Johnny Cash) , video calls this the first country music recorded at the famous Sun studios. Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two.

Sun Records, even made a few on yellow see through records.

San Quentin I hate every inch of you. ('60s Johnny Cash)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 03:44 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 18, 2011 06:48

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did a marvelous album back in '71 called Will The Circle Be Unbroken, which has them playing with some of the old-timers.
As for Parsons: Well, I'm a fan of his, but other artists did that genre so much better: Nesmith, Gene Clark, The Dillards, Rick Nelson, and others. Parsons has been canonized way too much. And I'm a fan of his music, so no letters, please.

Date: December 18, 2011 07:02

I am not the biggest country music fan but check out anything recorded by Merle Haggard. Also check out Patsy Cline and also Tom T Hall.... good stuff...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 18, 2011 12:54

Blue
Silver Dagger
I just love Carlene Carter's quote - "I put the c unt in country!"

eye popping smiley !! I believe her parents were in the audience when that was said! eye popping smiley

And if you're gonna have understanding parents then Johnny and June would have been two of the best.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: December 18, 2011 12:58

Blue
Poor Kirk isn't going to know who to listen to now!

No, no. Quite the contrary. I've already got tons of suggestions followed by useful comments, disagreements etc by people who seem to know things about country music and I have to really thank them. Now, with the blues I went this way:
I was just 12 years old when I got hooked to the Stones, so when I heard about their blues roots etc I actually didn't have a clue about blues music. So, I started with Chicago electric blues wanting to know who Muddy Waters was in the first place. Early blues, folk blues, Patton, Johnson etc came in much, much later on.
During the first years of exploring blues music I was deep into a chronological chaos about the evolutionary path of blues. I tried to sort things out, because I just went on and bought several greatest hits, collections Lps etc, which were actually a mish-mash of songs and periods, confusing me furthermore.
I know that it would be much better if someone would have suggested which way to go. So, your input is valueable.
Now, having all your really precious information and suggestions, I think I'm going to start at the beginning and work my way forward, contrary to what I did with the blues. This means I will first check out the 'Johnsons' 'Ma Raineys' and 'Leadbellys' of country music. Before doing that, I have to somehow organize your suggestions and comments.

Date: December 18, 2011 14:48

tomk
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did a marvelous album back in '71 called Will The Circle Be Unbroken, which has them playing with some of the old-timers.
As for Parsons: Well, I'm a fan of his, but other artists did that genre so much better: Nesmith, Gene Clark, The Dillards, Rick Nelson, and others. Parsons has been canonized way too much. And I'm a fan of his music, so no letters, please.

let's not confuse po' kirk anymore than necessary...bluegrass, while an element that contributes to what most think of as "country", is a derivative of irish trad...the nitty's were a great bluegrass band....

now if kirk aspires to learn more about irish trad, he should speak directly with stonestod...or something....

Date: December 18, 2011 14:51

Kirk
Now, having all your really precious information and suggestions, I think I'm going to start at the beginning and work my way forward, contrary to what I did with the blues. This means I will first check out the 'Johnsons' 'Ma Raineys' and 'Leadbellys' of country music. Before doing that, I have to somehow organize your suggestions and comments.

i knew you'd come around to the correct way of thinking. it's always best to follow the story from the beginning. when you get around to discovering jazz, if you haven't already, start that way too...a much more enriching and rewarding journey...had a buddy recently discover jazz after decades of my pleading to him...he started with trad jazz from the 20's and quickly moved up through the decades....says it's been the greatest musical discover of his life...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 18, 2011 14:56

The kids around here love Miranda.
She rips off Steve Earle but she's a hair better looking so we don't care that much.

What's the big deal?

[www.dalewatson.com]

Date: December 18, 2011 15:00

Munichhilton
She rips off Steve Earle but she's a hair better looking so we don't care that much.

What's the big deal?

[www.dalewatson.com]

how was dale?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 18, 2011 15:10

StonesTod
Munichhilton

What's the big deal?

[www.dalewatson.com]

how was dale?

He was the country gentleman.
Played all our faves, posed for a pic, and I had a nice sandwich to boot.
You shoulda come...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home