Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: Country music
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 20, 2011 07:50

I think much of this music originated in the Appalachia portions of the South (American South) from the immigrants originating from Scotland and Ireland.. The "Scots-Irish".

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 20, 2011 10:07

Filip020169
...I barely log in to post here, these days, but you got a beautiful quest ahead of you Kirk, and I'd be very happy to give you something for the road... for starters:

(a) definitely check out Hank Williams'es I & III (the latter is the grandson of the former 'bad boy' of 50's country music. In the case of Hank III: beware of his grindcore puke punk types of things... undigestible, imho. But he does some brilliant contemporary 'alternative' (non-commercial) countrymusic.
P.S.: there's a Hank II too; but I don't know much about him (only that he's the son of I, and the father of III...)

(b) can't go wrong with Johnny Cash; bigger than life, and definitely bigger than countrymusic...

(c) there was never a guy that sounded sweeter & more tender or true than Willy Nelson...

(d) don't miss out on the early bluegrass thigs - the fingerpickin' banjostyle from Flat & Scruggs f.i. ...

(e) be sure to check whatever ROCKMAN will suggest you. He IS the Ace of Spades!

Enjoy it -

You forgot Merle Haggard,and a very good place to start is still the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album from 1972, WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN.

Date: December 20, 2011 13:57

BroomWagon
Good points TomCasaGrande.

I see people include Kris Kristofferson, gee, I don't know if he did that much country, maybe and Willie Nelson, I guess he defines country but I've never liked songs he did like "You were always on my mind", I think songs like that are rather weak in fact.

why do you bring up "you were always on my mind" on numerous posts? do you know anything at all about willie nelson? he was out doing his thing as outlaw country for about 15 years before that song came out. it is a cover of a song made famous by elvis and the album was meant to be nelsons "pop" album and in no way sounds like most of the other stuff he did.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 20, 2011 15:14

Blue
I think much of this music originated in the Appalachia portions of the South (American South) from the immigrants originating from Scotland and Ireland.. The "Scots-Irish".

well, bluegrass definitely grew right out of the irish famine migration in the mid-1800's...and bluegrass is ONE of the elements of what we know now as country-western music...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 20, 2011 15:16

What is the most the U.S.?

Country
Jazz
Blues

... or is it the one following the other in the American music history ...

Date: December 20, 2011 15:18

Come On
What is the most the U.S.?

A. Country
B. Jazz
C. Blues

... or is it the one following the other in the American music history ...

I pick B. What do I win??

Date: December 20, 2011 15:26

Besides Honour & Glory you got this pic to print out on nearest Canon color printer:

Date: December 20, 2011 15:33

Come On

Besides Honour & Glory you got this pic to print out on nearest Canon color printer:

you mean my brand new canon color printer????

Date: December 20, 2011 15:42

you mean my brand new canon color printer????

Absolutely, even your glimmering shiny brand new canon laser color printer...

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: December 22, 2011 07:48

In response to the original poster's request of where to start off in country music: Since this is a Rolling Stones Forum, first I would like to recommend the country artist and his bands most closely linked to the Rolling Stones; which would be Gram Parsons. In my opinion 98% of what Gram Parsons did was traditional country music, and NOT "country rock". Gram Parsons was a country music prodigy and is not given the credit he deserves. The following albums are recommended:
1. International Submarine Band: "Safe at Home"
2. Gram Parsons and the Byrds: "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" Note: On this one get the double album re-release, which includes all the tracks that were deleted from the original album from the 1960s, with Gram Parsons' vocals intact. I always list this group as Gram Parsons and the Byrds, rather than The Byrds. Parsons had commandeered the band, and had literally turned the direction of the group 180 degrees. It was as if The Byrds had become his backup band.
3. The Flying Burrito Brothers: "Guilded Palace of Sin"
4. The Flying Burrito Brothers: "Burrito Deluxe"
5. Gram Parsons: "Grievous Angel"
6. Gram Parsons: "GP"
7. Gram Parsons: "Sleepless Nights"
Secondly, I would like to recommend 8 country artists for the original poster that I would consider the greatest of all time:
1. Johnny Cash
2. Willie Nelson
3. Hank Williams
4. Merle Haggard
5. George Jones
6. Patsy Cline
7. Carl Perkins
8. Gram Parsons
I hope that you find my lists to be of some help in starting off in country music.

Date: December 22, 2011 08:16

Chacho
In response to the original poster's request of where to start off in country music: Since this is a Rolling Stones Forum, first I would like to recommend the country artist and his bands most closely linked to the Rolling Stones; which would be Gram Parsons. In my opinion 98% of what Gram Parsons did was traditional country music, and NOT "country rock". Gram Parsons was a country music prodigy and is not given the credit he deserves. The following albums are recommended:
2. Gram Parsons and the Byrds: "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" Note: On this one get the double album re-release, which includes all the tracks that were deleted from the original album from the 1960s, with Gram Parsons' vocals intact. I always list this group as Gram Parsons and the Byrds, rather than The Byrds. Parsons had commandeered the band, and had literally turned the direction of the group 180 degrees. It was as if The Byrds had become his backup band.
Secondly, I would like to recommend 8 country artists for the original poster that I would consider the greatest of all time:
1. Johnny Cash
2. Willie Nelson
3. Hank Williams
4. Merle Haggard
5. George Jones
6. Patsy Cline
7. Carl Perkins
8. Gram Parsons
I hope that you find my lists to be of some help in starting off in country music.

you have to have waylon jennings on your list.

anyways for gram parsons get the 2 disc anthology rhino put out a few years ago and then the 2 disc byrds sweetheart of the rodeo

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: December 22, 2011 16:51

You are right on that one. Waylon Jennings should be added to the list.

Date: December 22, 2011 17:13

Chacho
1. Johnny Cash
2. Willie Nelson
3. Hank Williams
4. Merle Haggard
5. George Jones
6. Patsy Cline
7. Carl Perkins
8. Gram Parsons

This is a great list! So many more could be added but I suppose it would be too long... But Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Bill Monroe, Wilburn Brothers, Ralph Stanely, Conway Twitty, and if Patsy Cline is in there, so should Kitty Wells... Just my opinion but Patsy Cline was one of the greatest singers ever, but as time she went more pop.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 22, 2011 19:25

as already mentioned, can't go wrong with Waylon's lp/cds: Honky Tonk Heroes, Lonesome, On'ry & Mean, The Ramblin' Man, Waylon Live (expanded edition) & This Time

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 22, 2011 20:02

Blue
This is a great list! So many more could be added but I suppose it would be too long... But Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Bill Monroe, Wilburn Brothers, Ralph Stanely, Conway Twitty, and if Patsy Cline is in there, so should Kitty Wells... Just my opinion but Patsy Cline was one of the greatest singers ever, but as time she went more pop.

I agree, female singers are sparsely represented on that list, Patsy Cline is great but "1st lady of country" was that Tammy Wynette but the COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER, Loretta Lynn probably is truly classic, EmmyLou Harris does that song Blue Kentucky Girl and though I appreciate her version much more, I believe that is a song Loretta Lynn did as well as of course, "I was born a coal miner's daughter", I also wonder on a different note, if Keith Richard's ever played with Chet Atkins, Chet Atkins has always been called a great guitarist when people mention the greats, Clapton, etc. Maybe Buck Owens should be on that list too though honestly, I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of some Buck Owens and Buckaroos songs, they had a great great stage presence I'd say. Tiger by the tail is so so but Buckaroo and others are good and I believe Act Naturally is a song penned by Buck and that was done by the Beatles.

Date: December 22, 2011 20:28

For the record, there is actually an album even before the Submarine Band with a short haired Gram Parsons [en.wikipedia.org] , on it he sings the song "Hootenanny" and "I may be right" and some tracks might be closer to Kingston Trio type of folk music. One could make an argument that EmmyLou Harris was a true Gram Parsons sidekick and that basically, the music of Gram Parsons continued through Emmylou Harris.

Emmylou would always include a Gram Parsons song on every album she did as long as they would last at least such as Luxury Liner or the FBB's that song starts out "This old town's full of sin" but not sure if that is actually called Guilded Palace of Sin but from that album. Of course, Emmylou also did Grievous Angel, she was on that album so Emmylou Harris became a bit of the standardbearer for Gram Parson's music. Emmylou also did Wheels, that has to be one of GP's best.

Note this quote from wiki:

n February 2008, Gram's protégée, Emmylou Harris, was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 22, 2011 20:55

Teatro by Wille Nelson is a great country album, IMNSHO.

Date: December 23, 2011 04:46

EmmyLou Harris is a strikingly beautiful woman, now and always, always made me wonder if her stardom with GP was related to her looks, she and Linda Ronstadt both sing on the Grievous Angel CD. The thing is, EmmyLou Harris is almost too perfectly beautiful and her music may have been to perfectly and cosmetically produced and too thought out. Maybe there is lacking that raw element that exists in so much music that we like.

Like if you know about how Gram Parsons was, how do I phrase it, EmmyLou has been a bit of female version of him and the Flying Burrito Brothers. It's all over her work. At times a bit whimsical. I don't want to overload this post with photos so I just leave some but the Elite Hotel kind of reflects a bit of that high living lifestyle.

Which in the end, countrywise, I wonder if she is as a country person might say "really downhome". I've always wondered vs. say Porter Waggoner, Dolly Parton etc. though she is from Alabama.

Elite Hotel, that seems similar to say Luxury Liner. Luxury? Hmmn.

[image.maniadb.com]

[images.uulyrics.com] Cover of the Blue Kentucky Girl album, great rendition of the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-23 04:53 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 23, 2011 06:22

I have seen EmmyLou Harris three times back in 1978 and 1979, in small venues (one was the Paradise club in Boston, she was very pregnant for this show!)..and have to say she has truly the voice of an angel...and the band was excellent...blending both her country, folkish, and country rockish tunes for the most part at the time...she has often, and still does, collaborate with many different types of musicians (duets with Mark Knopfler for example)...I must say, I distinctly remember one of the other concerts was 1978 with Willie Nelson, and I must tell you, EmmyLou blew old Willie away, Willie is a great talent, and with all due respect he was rather boring, and EmmyLou was a breath of fresh air, so beautiful and young at the time, and her voice was mesmerizingly beautiful, along with a fantastic sounding band. Anyway, I do think her voice, like Broomwagon states, does not have that "rawness" found in many of the more traditional country singers...her voice seemed more pure and truly "angelic".

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 23, 2011 07:22

Date: December 23, 2011 07:59

sweetcharmedlife

Excellent song and video telling an interesting story.

Posted by: Beaver ()
Date: December 23, 2011 15:11

GUY CLARK!

Posted by: Han ()
Date: December 23, 2011 15:58

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="[www.youtube.com]; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-23 16:02 by Han.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 23, 2011 18:20

Beaver
GUY CLARK!

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: December 23, 2011 18:35

This is great Country!

Also check out The Internationale Tussler Soceity. You can find a little on youtube.

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: December 23, 2011 18:38

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 23, 2011 19:21

Blue
sweetcharmedlife

Excellent song and video telling an interesting story.
Yeah,I'm not a huge country music fan by any means. But that one is definitely special.

Date: December 24, 2011 07:43

The Outlaws, Shotgun Willie, Red Haired Stranger are all good releases by Willie Nelson, Blue Skies, blue eyes crying in the rain, Stay a little longer is really good. I didn't mean to short-change him, he's also done some pop, I'm sure there are specific albums of his to recommend.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home