Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15
Re: Track Talk: Jumpin' Jack Flash
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 12, 2021 11:34

Relevent copy and paste from my The Brian Jones Resource Youtube etc...

Keith Richards - open E tuning.

Here we have an extract from a scene from the film One Plus One. In it you can see and hear Keith utilise some of the open E based playing techniques he used for the Jumpin' Jack Flash single. Although he is playing a different song in this clip, you can see and hear the same technique used for the JJF riff and even the chorus with higher melody being played by using his pinky and 3rd finger along with the chords.

The playing shown in above clip, plus his playing on Street Fighting Man and the playing heard in this, albeit in standard tuning, Yesterdays Paper's instrumental...

...gives us 3 perfect examples of Keith playing pretty much everything that is heard guitar wise on Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Why is this being posted on a Brian Jones channel? Because it is further evidence supporting the most likely/probable conclusion that Brian didn't play any of the guitars heard on the single. Brian may well have played guitar during the Jumpin'Jack Flash rehearsals and recording sessions like he did for Sympathy for the Devil, but like Sympathy for the Devil it seems his guitar playing didn't make it to the official release in any truly audible way, if at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 11:41 by His Majesty.

Date: August 12, 2021 12:06

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 12:21 by His Majesty.

Date: August 12, 2021 12:47

His Majesty
Relevent copy and paste from my The Brian Jones Resource Youtube etc...

Keith Richards - open E tuning.

Here we have an extract from a scene from the film One Plus One. In it you can see and hear Keith utilise some of the open E based playing techniques he used for the Jumpin' Jack Flash single. Although he is playing a different song in this clip, you can see and hear the same technique used for the JJF riff and even the chorus with higher melody being played by using his pinky and 3rd finger along with the chords.

The playing shown in above clip, plus his playing on Street Fighting Man and the playing heard in this, albeit in standard tuning, Yesterdays Paper's instrumental...

...gives us 3 perfect examples of Keith playing pretty much everything that is heard guitar wise on Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Why is this being posted on a Brian Jones channel? Because it is further evidence supporting the most likely/probable conclusion that Brian didn't play any of the guitars heard on the single. Brian may well have played guitar during the Jumpin'Jack Flash rehearsals and recording sessions like he did for Sympathy for the Devil, but like Sympathy for the Devil it seems his guitar playing didn't make it to the official release in any truly audible way, if at all.

That's rich! winking smiley

Otherwise, I agree thumbs up

Date: August 12, 2021 13:19

'Relevant copy and paste from my The Brian Jones Resource Youtube etc...' spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

thumbs up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 13:45

From an interview Brian gave around the time of the release of Jumping Jack Flash he said he thought originally Child of the Moon should have been the A side single and not Flash, but then realized later that Flash was the better choice.Doesn’t sound like someone who didn’t play on the single.Could he be playing only maracas, organ,( sounds like Nicky or Bill), or what sounds like a mellotron blues harp at the end of the song. or could he be playing the high jangly note guitar part. Or maybe part of that?There is a d called isolated Graz which has different isolated Jumping Jack Flash guitar parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 14:03 by Taylor1.

Date: August 12, 2021 16:26

Keith plays a variation of the 'jangly guitars' in the above videos.

In the Brian interviews it is pointed out what he played on COTM, but not JJF.

BBC Radio 1 (Top Gear) interview - Brian Jones & Mick Jagger - 15th May 1968

BBC Radio 1 (Scene and Heard) interview - Brian Jones - 15th May 1968

The 'mellotron blues harp' is someone blowing a B chord on harmonica x 2. If that was his contribution I can see why he didn't bring it up. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 16:31 by His Majesty.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 12, 2021 17:31

In Nicky Hopkins’ book he said he played the organ. Take that for what it’s worth and Wyman fans don’t shoot the messenger!

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 12, 2021 18:12

My all-time favorite Stones song, and the one live war-horse I can't go without.

It's literally the same thing to the Rolling Stones that the Force is to Star Wars: it's like a damn energy field that surrounds the band's entire catalouge and binds together "Satisfaction," "Get Off Of My Cloud," "The Last Time, "Under My Thumb," "Paint It Black," "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "Let's Spend the Night Together" with "Sympathy For the Devil," "Honky Tonk Women," "Street Fighting Man," "Gimme Shelter," "Live With Me," "Midnight Rambler," "Brown Sugar," "Bitch," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "Rocks Off," "Tumbling Dice," "Happy," "All Down The Line," "It's Only Rock and Roll," "Hand of Fate," "Shattered," "When The Whip Comes Down," "Little T&A," and "Start Me Up" and all the way up to and including "Mixed Emotions," "Sad Sad Sad," "Jump On Top Of Me," "Love Is Strong," "You Got Me Rocking," "I'm Gonna Drive," "Baby Break It Down," "Honest Man," "Flip The Switch," "Gunface," "Rough Justice," "Let Me Down Slow," "Driving Too Fast," and "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot."

In other words, "Satisfaction" might be their signature song, but "Jumpin' Jack Flash" IS The Rolling Stones.

Date: August 12, 2021 18:29

TravelinMan
In Nicky Hopkins’ book he said he played the organ. Take that for what it’s worth and Wyman fans don’t shoot the messenger!

I bet he did. It's too good to be Bill and it's also on the especially recorded 'live' studio version done for one of the promos.

Maybe they replaced Bill's organ contribution, assuming he remembered right, without him knowing.

Date: August 12, 2021 18:42

Does Nicky play the same organ on the Gomper?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 20:55

My favorite song for them to open with!!!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 12, 2021 23:55

His Majesty
TravelinMan

I bet he did. It's too good to be Bill and it's also on the especially recorded 'live' studio version done for one of the promos.

Maybe they replaced Bill's organ contribution, assuming he remembered right, without him knowing.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Maybe Wyman wrote the riff for the song and then the band took it up. I have to imagine Hopkins played the organ during the live tracking session while Wyman played bass. I see no reason for Hopkins to misremember things.

Date: August 13, 2021 04:59

Nicky has mis-remembered things as has Bill, but the organ on JJF with nice soloing just sounds Nickyesque.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2021 06:16

stevecardi
My all-time favorite Stones song, and the one live war-horse I can't go without.

It's literally the same thing to the Rolling Stones that the Force is to Star Wars: it's like a damn energy field that surrounds the band's entire catalouge and binds together "Satisfaction," "Get Off Of My Cloud," "The Last Time, "Under My Thumb," "Paint It Black," "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "Let's Spend the Night Together" with "Sympathy For the Devil," "Honky Tonk Women," "Street Fighting Man," "Gimme Shelter," "Live With Me," "Midnight Rambler," "Brown Sugar," "Bitch," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "Rocks Off," "Tumbling Dice," "Happy," "All Down The Line," "It's Only Rock and Roll," "Hand of Fate," "Shattered," "When The Whip Comes Down," "Little T&A," and "Start Me Up" and all the way up to and including "Mixed Emotions," "Sad Sad Sad," "Jump On Top Of Me," "Love Is Strong," "You Got Me Rocking," "I'm Gonna Drive," "Baby Break It Down," "Honest Man," "Flip The Switch," "Gunface," "Rough Justice," "Let Me Down Slow," "Driving Too Fast," and "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot."

In other words, "Satisfaction" might be their signature song, but "Jumpin' Jack Flash" IS The Rolling Stones.

I used to think that... but Brown Sugar is really THE Stones song.

You could've used much better songs than the ones with a line through them. I agree with your observation with exception to some of your horrible song choices. Perhaps you could've included better songs in your "and all the way up to and including" bit.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 08:17

GasLightStreet
I agree with your observation with exception to some of your horrible song choices. Perhaps you could've included better songs in your "and all the way up to and including" bit.

Then you don’t agree… and the OP simply chose songs that meant more to him, than to you.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-14 08:17 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 14, 2021 22:58

GasLightStreet
stevecardi

You could've used much better songs than the ones with a line through them. I agree with your observation with exception to some of your horrible song choices. Perhaps you could've included better songs in your "and all the way up to and including" bit.

[c.tenor.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 16, 2021 01:28

stevecardi
GasLightStreet
stevecardi

[c.tenor.com]

HA HA!

Date: August 17, 2021 01:40

There is no better song to start a concert.

Date: August 17, 2021 01:43

It was best played as the next to last song on 1he 1972-1976 shows.Also done great on the Steel Wheels tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-17 03:37 by Taylor1.

Jumpin’ Jack Flash Live Saga (to be continued?)
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 7, 2023 20:53

[www.youtube.com] (1968)
[www.youtube.com] (1969)
[www.youtube.com] (1970)
[www.youtube.com] (1971)
[www.youtube.com] (1972)
[www.youtube.com] (1973)
[www.youtube.com] (1975)
[www.youtube.com] (1976)
[www.youtube.com] (1977)
[www.youtube.com] (1978)
[www.youtube.com] (1979)
[www.youtube.com] (1981)
[www.youtube.com] (1982)
[www.youtube.com] (1989)
[www.youtube.com] (1990)
[www.youtube.com] (1994)
[www.youtube.com] (1995)
[www.youtube.com] (1997)
[www.youtube.com] (1998)
[www.youtube.com] (1999)
[www.youtube.com] (2002)
[www.youtube.com] (2003)
[www.youtube.com] (2005)
[www.youtube.com] (2006)
[www.youtube.com] (2007)
[www.youtube.com] (2012)
[www.youtube.com] (2013)
[www.youtube.com] (2014)
[www.youtube.com] (2015)
[www.youtube.com] (2016)
[www.youtube.com] (2017)
[www.youtube.com] (2018, edited)
[www.youtube.com] (2019)
[www.youtube.com] (2021)
[www.youtube.com] (2022)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-08 10:55 by The Joker.

Re: Jumpin’ Jack Flash Live Saga (to be continued?)
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: May 7, 2023 20:59

[youtu.be] 2022 Brussels

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: May 7, 2023 21:01

[youtu.be]
Thanks for using this one of me from Telia Parken Kopenhagen 2017 with iPhone 10

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: May 7, 2023 21:06

1981 is my choice

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 7, 2023 21:06

Christiaan
[youtu.be]
Thanks for using this one of me from Telia Parken Kopenhagen 2017 with iPhone 10

We thank you!
I didn't pretend to select the "best" version of each year.
There are certainly change of pace, although the 2022 version seems to come back to the orignal tempo circa 1968-1969.
It seems, but I'm not sure, the key changes sometimes.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: May 7, 2023 21:34

The Joker
[www.youtube.com] (2018)
Nice list, but this one isn't 2018. (They didn't play Rio in 2018!)

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 7, 2023 21:47

Ultimately I'm for 1969 live version, second is 1968 video version, absolute primal intensity. The song in it's truest form in my opinion.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 7, 2023 21:49

The Joker
[www.youtube.com] (1968)
[www.youtube.com] (1969)
[www.youtube.com] (1970)
[www.youtube.com] (1971)
[www.youtube.com] (1972)
[www.youtube.com] (1973)
[www.youtube.com] (1975)
[www.youtube.com] (1976)
[www.youtube.com] (1977)
[www.youtube.com] (1978)
[www.youtube.com] (1979)
[www.youtube.com] (1981)
[www.youtube.com] (1982)
[www.youtube.com] (1989)
[www.youtube.com] (1990)
[www.youtube.com] (1994)
[www.youtube.com] (1995)
[www.youtube.com] (1997)
[www.youtube.com] (1998)
[www.youtube.com] (1999)
[www.youtube.com] (2002)
[www.youtube.com] (2003)
[www.youtube.com] (2005)
[www.youtube.com] (2006)
[www.youtube.com] (2007)
[www.youtube.com] (2012)
[www.youtube.com] (2013)
[www.youtube.com] (2014)
[www.youtube.com] (2015)
[www.youtube.com] (2016)
[www.youtube.com] (2017)
[www.youtube.com] (2018)
[www.youtube.com] (2019)
[www.youtube.com] (2021)
[www.youtube.com] (2022)

WOW, and i thought i was obsessed with this song live.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 7, 2023 22:21

Keith was very mobile at the Wiltern Theatre 2002 but this is something else at the garden in the same year, he's on fire.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 7, 2023 22:51

Oh yeah, totally agree Wiltern 2002 was insane!smileys with beer

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 7, 2023 23:11

During the Taylor years videos on the right You Tube scroll are videos by Show R playing the Taylor and Richards parts to a number of songs. Watch, listen and weep. To this day Taylor's playing in some measure or another is under appreciated and possibly overlooked. Some people on this board have actually called him boring, favoring other stage antics. But when you see and hear so clearly what the guitars were doing...it's absolutely thrilling. Why do I think the performances of these songs are the band's greatest moments on stage? Well, here's why. The '69 JJF video is especially compelling. Someone on this board said something about this tour that I always remembered: Every note, every chord meant something. You either get what that means or you don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-08 08:24 by pmk251.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2090
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home