Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Eric Clapton & The Stones
Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 9, 2011 02:05

why did he never join? sure he plays on a tune or 2 on some bootlegs ive heard?

anyone got anyinfo?

thanks

Re: Eric Clapton & The Stones
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 9, 2011 02:34

Supposedly he was offered the position in 1969'. Would have been pretty bad having two egomaniacal junkies playing guitar.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 9, 2011 02:42

EDIT: oops....thought you meant guest appearances live in concert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 02:55 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 9, 2011 03:45

Erik, I thought the same thing!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2011 04:21

They are what Rock & Roll is all about..
Toughness....and relentless to the very end....

................................. Eric Clapton Grammy Award 1986

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 9, 2011 07:42

Eric Clapton forgot to mention Mick Taylor. Why is that ?
He doesn't like him ?
he was paid by the band not to do it ?
quite strange isn't it ?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 9, 2011 08:46

why did he never join

Why didn't Bob Dylan or John Lennon joined The Rolling Stones?
(same kind of question if you ask me)

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 9, 2011 09:32

Come On
why did he never join

Why didn't Bob Dylan or John Lennon joined The Rolling Stones?
(same kind of question if you ask me)

I believe that sums it nicely. Yeah, I think he could have but it would have been "okay, that would be fun for a change". But it wouldn't have been "jeez, finally I got to chance to join to my beloved band, and to be 'one of the Rolling Stones'"

We Stones might think that joining the Stones is the greatest career opportunity in rock business, and for example, Ronnie Wood tries to keep up the myth for him and Clapton being equal in a line waiting for the post. No, they were not. Clapton was already in their (Stones) level as a big name in the business for his own right - both in 1969 and in 1975. And I have never seen Clapton or Jagger/Richards being vocal about it. Probably the band was looking for a "guitar hero" to have in band in 1969, to match with the demands of the times, but I don't think they really thought it was possible to hire the father of the whole genre! (edit: well, it was possible but not very wise - see the rest of this post and my following post)

Just look at the Dirty Mac performance in ROCK & ROLL CIRCUS. In a setting created by The Stones, the only way to have a Stone in "super band" was to play the bass (and who not even their real bass player). Now, in the following year the 'bass player' would say to Clapton that "okay, now you are my guitar player, and you play my songs, and this way, etc". What would have happened, if Eric would have joined them in 1969, they would have promoted the tour "The Rolling Stones with Eric Clapton", to get all the egos involved to fit in. Besides, I think Richards, even tough being in the height of his creativity as a musician, would not have really had balls to meet Clapton 'eye to eye' situation. Clapton was famous in the business for not making musical compromises (he had already left several bands), and he surely wouldn't let himself have just "used" and his contributions not left without credition, etc. It was much easier to 'boss' someone like Mick Taylor who had not that kind of name and ego.

I think the whole 'Clapton to joining the Stones' tale is basically a wet Rolling Stones fan dream, without factual base (and I think it was not even circulated before the 90's?). I think it does satisfy Keith's ego now when he hears the tale now decades later, and dosn't really deny it (it makes the Stones bigger than they actually were, like the "Beatles vs. Stones" mantra which makes the situation to sound equal; it never was, like Jagger has openly admitted).. like many myths in his past, it does work for Keith, and who cares the truth or how the things actually were. Another good story that strengthens his own status.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 10:17 by Doxa.

Date: November 9, 2011 10:00

But let me continue the speculation, and to see the absurdity of the "Clapton joining the forces with the Stones" scenario...

In a way, Clapton would have been a perfect choice if the band would have really thought of filling the shoes of Brian Jones. Then they would have a star of his own right within the band that would be an opposite force against Jagger/Richard dominion. Clapton would have shine with his own independent skills as Brian before him. But I guess the band by 1969 had alraedy killed the possibilty of the band having a real "opposition" within it. No way they - Mick and Keith - would let Jones's 1962-67 shoes to be filled again. No, they picked up a relatively young talent without much name and ego, to serve in a Jagger/Richards kingdom. Yeah, the boy might had his own ambitions and plans, but he was quickly learned the rules. Probably he wasn't (in the end) so happy for his own situation, but we have another thread for that...

Hmmm.... Now when my memory makes flashbacks, didn't Clapton commmented some years ago to that Stones rumour something like "well, maybe I would have joined in, but no one asked anything ever". Hmm... perhaps Jagger and Richards were so clever that they didn't even ask him since they were afraid that if he would have answered positively, what would have happen to the band thengrinning smiley.... My educated guess is that Mick and Keith never really saw Clapton as any potential member, since they knew him, his ego, and his place within the business well enough by then. Yeah, a nice "guest" and things like that, but not to be involved in the serious band business.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 10:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 9, 2011 10:48

Doxa, this is some of your best work. Thank you.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 9, 2011 10:58

Rolling Stones-Brown Sugar Original Version with Eric Clapton-Olympic Studios-London-Dec 1970

Date: November 9, 2011 11:03

... and later - according to Clapton's autobiography - Jagger "stole" Clapton's girlfriend at that time, Carla Bruni, with whom Clapton was seriously in love and had, therefore, asked the Mick please not to touch her ...

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: November 9, 2011 11:16

I thought the Band's 'Pink' LP had a huge influence on Clapton (circa 1968), and Eric had enough of this 'Clapton=God'/Guitarhero-status...Blind Faith from the start was never to last long. That's why he joined Delaney and Bonnie (not in the spotlights). The Rolling Stones would never have been an option for Eric.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 9, 2011 11:35

It is kind of funny to have God to play Sympathy for the Devil.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:27

Clapton would not fit.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:33

Captainchaos

anyone got anyinfo?

thanks

Keith said in one interview, when he was asked - why didnt Clapton join the band when Mick Taylor left ?

Keith: " He never asked."

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:59

dead.flowers
Rolling Stones-Brown Sugar Original Version with Eric Clapton-Olympic Studios-London-Dec 1970
This isn't actually the original version, the released version is.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 9, 2011 15:21

Captainchaos

anyone got anyinfo?

thanks

No doubt he was bullied out of the Stones........

Date: November 9, 2011 15:31

dead.flowers

No this was recorded in December 1969, not 1970. All the bootlegers got the year wrong.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 9, 2011 15:36

>>>>No this was recorded in December 1969

Probably on Keith birthday too.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: November 9, 2011 15:58

1cdog
Captainchaos

anyone got anyinfo?

thanks

Gimme a break...
He didnt want to !! - He didnt give a shit !
Why should he ? Stones didnt want him either - they had mick taylor.

Why didnt Mick Jagger join the Beatles, he sang backin vocals for them ?
Why didnt Joh Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin join the Stones - He played with them too.

Date: November 9, 2011 16:06

[edit: somebody took it seriously so it's deleted]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 16:23 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 9, 2011 16:14

Erik_Snow
seitan
1cdog
Captainchaos

anyone got anyinfo?

thanks

Gimme a break...

Why didnt Joh Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin join the Stones - He played with them too.

No you're missing the point. He was bullied out because he didn't get royalties for his slide on Brown Sugar. Rolling Stones released a different version instead, so they wouldn't have to pay Clapton for his work. Which of course led Clapton to saying no to join the band as a permanent member. They had to get Ron Wood instead.

On the other hand, who give's a shit, cause Brown Sugar sounds great without him and those guys are still friends together and Clapton is filthy rich even without any any Stones royalties.

Date: November 9, 2011 16:20

FreeBird
dead.flowers
This isn't actually the original version, the released version is.

Of course it's not the original version but merely an alternate take, however, not a bad one. Thanks FreeBird and Eric_Snow. I only copied the title from Youtube without actually looking at it.

EDIT: spelling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 16:27 by dead.flowers.

Date: November 9, 2011 16:22

-mistake post-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 16:23 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: November 9, 2011 17:09

Not to mention that the released version is superior.

Date: November 9, 2011 17:12

Erik_Snow
[edit: somebody took it seriously so it's deleted]

LOL!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 9, 2011 21:19

seitan
1cdog
Captainchaos

anyone got anyinfo?

thanks

Gimme a break...

Comment was not meant to be serious - I made it tongue in cheek........in reference to this long running thread on bullying:
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: November 9, 2011 21:48

Rory Gallagher was head hunted round about the same time as Clapton, Ronnie still teases Eric that he did'nt have the personality for the Stones.

Date: November 9, 2011 21:59

bestfour
Ronnie still teases Eric that he did'nt have the personality for the Stones.

Ronnie Wood seems to be the only musician in the world whose most important feature as a musician is "suitable personality". Well, let him be proud of that...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 21:59 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1510
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home