Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Best Dylan Album?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 7, 2011 19:00

StonesTod
who's gonna start that official eric clapton appreciation thread? you? me? it ain't gonna start itself....

I thought about doing so last week; but what stopped me is my username and real name; which would make it look so.....egocentric. So maybe you could start it; and I'll just make a post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 19:01 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2011 19:42

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
who's gonna start that official eric clapton appreciation thread? you? me? it ain't gonna start itself....

I thought about doing so last week; but what stopped me is my username and real name; which would make it look so.....egocentric. So maybe you could start it; and I'll just make a post

ok - well, it's not the erik klapton apprekiation thread, you know...

Date: November 7, 2011 19:43

Wry Cooter
Someone has to mention "The Basement Tapes." There.

i would argue some of his most enduring tunes...but, if we're talking "albums" in the truest sense, then i'm afraid it can't be mentioned. sorry.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 7, 2011 19:57

Does anyone have an explanation of the odd opening to Idiot Wind? I have and it is part of my harsh criticism of BOTT. I know I am in the minority but I think that album is listenable (thank goodness people thought at the time) and for the most part trivial. The "story-telling" songs leave me cold. It feels to me like an exercise in palatable songwriting with bouncy melodies. I find most of that album easy to listen to and forgettable. Then you get to Idiot Wind. Dylan starts the song with how a feel about most of the album, a false amusing little tale, but he suddenly drops the pretense and gets to what is really on his mind and the song throws the whole album off with its honesty, emotion and power. At the time the album was received as Dylan returning to form, but I think people have been much too generous toward it.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:00

I feel the version of Idiot Wind from the bootleg series redeems the song

Posted by: pagodapete ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:15

I don't know. I just never got into Dylan. I had Highway but sold it long time ago. Thought the melodies weren't strong enough.... I know I'm strange tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:28

Studio albums

1. Blood on the Tracks
2. Blonde on Blonde
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Bringing It All Back Home
5. The Basement Tapes (would have been higher had it been assembled as it should have been)
6. Desire
7. John Wesley Harding
8. Street Legal
9. Love & Theft
10. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Most under-rated - Self Portrait. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 20:28 by Gazza.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:30

Come On
I'm always wonder why other Dylan-fans always lift this Blood on the tracks to the skies when a annoying song like Idiot Wind is on it...???

..because its brilliant?

Although the version on 'Hard Rain' is even better. Possibly his single greatest live performance ever.

Date: November 7, 2011 20:39

Gazza
Come On
I'm always wonder why other Dylan-fans always lift this Blood on the tracks to the skies when a annoying song like Idiot Wind is on it...???

..because its brilliant?

Although the version on 'Hard Rain' is even better. Possibly his single greatest live performance ever.

a fair assessment. if the hair on the nape of your neck doesn't standup for this one, it's most likely cos you just came from the barber....

Date: November 7, 2011 20:49

Haha idiot wind is one of the few songs I actually like by Bob Dylan, or have a relation to. A girl wrote the lyrics down on a napkin and sent it to me. We were having a real bad relationship.And it ended just after that napkin. So it kinda means a lot to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 20:49 by pagodapete.

Date: November 7, 2011 20:50

pagodapete
Haha idiot wind is one of the few songs I actually like by Bob Dylan, or have a relation to. A girl wrote the lyrics down on a napkin (or, was it several napkins, it's a pretty long song, oh I don't remember, I was 21 at the time) and sent it to me. We were having a real bad relationship.And it ended just after that napkin. So it kinda means a lot to me.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:53

pagodapete
Haha idiot wind is one of the few songs I actually like by Bob Dylan, or have a relation to. A girl wrote the lyrics down on a napkin and sent it to me. We were having a real bad relationship.And it ended just after that napkin. So it kinda means a lot to me.

Did you blow your nose on it?

Date: November 7, 2011 20:57

pmk251
Does anyone have an explanation of the odd opening to Idiot Wind? I have and it is part of my harsh criticism of BOTT. I know I am in the minority but I think that album is listenable (thank goodness people thought at the time) and for the most part trivial. The "story-telling" songs leave me cold. It feels to me like an exercise in palatable songwriting with bouncy melodies. I find most of that album easy to listen to and forgettable. Then you get to Idiot Wind. Dylan starts the song with how a feel about most of the album, a false amusing little tale, but he suddenly drops the pretense and gets to what is really on his mind and the song throws the whole album off with its honesty, emotion and power. At the time the album was received as Dylan returning to form, but I think people have been much too generous toward it.

i guess this just proves the old adage....there's one in every crowd

Date: November 7, 2011 21:08

reg thorpe
pagodapete

Did you blow your nose on it?

Oh no!!! It's a valuable memory of mine, I have it somewhere... in the attic.

Date: November 7, 2011 21:09

oh sorry for the inapt editing.

Date: November 7, 2011 21:19

pagodapete
oh sorry for the inapt editing.

it's okay - it goes well with the poor spelling

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 7, 2011 21:36

Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 Revisited, and also Nashville Skyline, which
doesn't seem to be very popular here.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: November 7, 2011 21:59

Bob Dylan has arguably the greatest body of work in modern music history, so to choose the "best album" is impossible for me...so here is my Top Ten.

1. Blonde on Blonde
2. Highway 61 Revisited
3. Bringing It All Back Home
4. Blood On The Tracks
5. The Basement Tapes
6. Time Out Of Mind
7. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
8. John Wesley Harding
9. Oh Mercy
10. Desire

Honorable Mention:

Another Side of Bob Dylan (could easily be in the top 5 or 10)
The Times They Are A-Changin' (ditto)
Love And Theft
Together Through Life
Empire Burlesque

Personal Favorite:

The Basement Tapes (love the ramshackle, tossed off feel...like these casual masterpieces are just happening spontaneously...one after the other...amazing)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:05

Gazza
Come On

..because its brilliant?

Nope that's his 4 numbers on 'The Concert for Bangla Desh', and espesially 'Just like a woman'....I also liked 'Idiot wind' in my youth, but now listen to Dylan whining about his lost of a woman..not for me...annoying....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:05

60's - Blonde On Blonde
70's - Blood On The Tracks
80's - Infidels
90's - Time Out Of Mind
00's - Love And Theft

Worth the mention is Slow Train Coming. Side one is a masterpiece.

Date: November 7, 2011 22:07

Hillside Blues

I was just wondering how come nobody having mentioned Slow Train Coming yet

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:11

1. Modern Times

2. Infidels

3. Bringing It All Back Home

4. Together Through Life

5. Highway 61 Revisited

But I love 'em all!!!!

Date: November 7, 2011 22:12

Hillside Blues
60's - Blonde On Blonde
70's - Blood On The Tracks
80's - Infidels
90's - Time Out Of Mind
00's - Love And Theft

i actually think side two is better, but it is a tremendous album. and i'm sure few would agree, but its followup, saved, is also an amazing album. some of bob's best vocals ever. and although a bit uneven, shot of love is among my fave dylan records, too. he didn't really hit his first big nose dive until '86's knocked out loaded...and then the equally abysmal down in the groove. apparently these were just to prove that he could stink it up with the best of them.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:15

Erik_Snow
Hillside Blues

Yeah, it's kind of forgotten gem. Maybe people got trouble with his religious lyrics. But tracks like Precious Angel and the title track are easily one of his best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 22:16 by Hillside Blues.

Date: November 7, 2011 22:24

Hillside Blues
Erik_Snow
Hillside Blues

Yeah, it's kind of forgotten gem. Maybe people got trouble with his religious lyrics. But tracks like Precious Angel and the title track are easily one of his best.

seem to recall a review (might have been RS) of the album mentioning the song Change My Way of Thinking being bob's stonesiest-sounding song to date....

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:29

Blonde On Blonde
Blood On The Tracks
Oh Mercy
Time Out Of Mind
Love And Theft

Date: November 7, 2011 22:29

StonesTod
Hillside Blues
Erik_Snow
Hillside Blues

seem to recall a review (might have been RS) of the album mentioning the song Change My Way of Thinking being bob's stonesiest-sounding song to date....

If one is only thinking about the chord-changes; then yes; maybe; but in addition to the obvious thing (lyrics), the whole delivery by the musicians and the production is far away from Rolling Stones

The first track/performance that comes to mind; concerning Bob sounding somewhat Rolling Stonesy in his delivery is "Don't Start Me Talking" from Letterman show 1984

Date: November 7, 2011 22:32

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Hillside Blues
Erik_Snow
Hillside Blues

If one is only thinking about the chord-changes; then yes; maybe; but in addition to the obvious thing (lyrics), the whole delivery by the musicians and the production is far away from Rolling Stones

The first track/performance that comes to mind; concerning Bob sounding somewhat Rolling Stonesy in his delivery is "Don't Start Me Talking" from Letterman show 1984

well, don't tell me about it - tell the reviewer who wrote this 32 years ago, ok?

his infamous 3-song "show" with the Plugz! what a hoot - didn't even tell the band what he was gonna play before they hit the stage....

Date: November 7, 2011 22:41

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Hillside Blues
Erik_Snow
Hillside Blues

well, don't tell me about it - tell the reviewer who wrote this 32 years ago, ok?

his infamous 3-song "show" with the Plugz! what a hoot - didn't even tell the band what he was gonna play before they hit the stage....

And if memory serves; they hadn't even rehearsed 1 of those 3 songs
Or am I mixing it up with the Live Aid concert?

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:46

Blonde on Blonde
Planet Waves - I'm the first to mention this one?
Slow Train Coming - I'm an atheist who also loves Saved!
Infidels or Live 1966
Biograph - Is picking this (or Bootleg 1-3) cheating?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 22:48 by redsock.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home