Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Best Dylan Album?
Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:52

Come On
Gazza
Come On
I'm always wonder why other Dylan-fans always lift this Blood on the tracks to the skies when a annoying song like Idiot Wind is on it...???

..because its brilliant?

Although the version on 'Hard Rain' is even better. Possibly his single greatest live performance ever.

Nope that's his 4 numbers on 'The Concert for Bangla Desh', and espesially 'Just like a woman'....I also liked 'Idiot wind' in my youth, but now listen to Dylan whining about his lost of a woman..not for me...annoying....

Huge Dylan fan. The greatest artist of the rock era.

I agree with you on Idiot Wind.I hate that song. He is tying too hard and it just keeps going.

I also agree with yo are Just Like a Women and the Concert for Bangadesh

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2011 22:56

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Hillside Blues
Erik_Snow
Hillside Blues
Worth the mention is Slow Train Coming. Side one is a masterpiece.

I was just wondering how come nobody having mentioned Slow Train Coming yet

Yeah, it's kind of forgotten gem. Maybe people got trouble with his religious lyrics. But tracks like Precious Angel and the title track are easily one of his best.

seem to recall a review (might have been RS) of the album mentioning the song Change My Way of Thinking being bob's stonesiest-sounding song to date....

If one is only thinking about the chord-changes; then yes; maybe; but in addition to the obvious thing (lyrics), the whole delivery by the musicians and the production is far away from Rolling Stones

The first track/performance that comes to mind; concerning Bob sounding somewhat Rolling Stonesy in his delivery is "Don't Start Me Talking" from Letterman show 1984

well, don't tell me about it - tell the reviewer who wrote this 32 years ago, ok?

his infamous 3-song "show" with the Plugz! what a hoot - didn't even tell the band what he was gonna play before they hit the stage....

And if memory serves; they hadn't even rehearsed 1 of those 3 songs
Or am I mixing it up with the Live Aid concert?

it doesn't matter. it was all in the mid-80's, which as a period doesn't matter.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 7, 2011 23:12

Huge Dylan fan. The greatest artist of the rock era.

I agree with you on Idiot Wind.I hate that song. He is tying too hard and it just keeps going.

I also agree with yo are Just Like a Women and the Concert for Bangadesh

Brilliant! You must have been listens to Dylan for a while just like me (46 years)
smileys with beer

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 7, 2011 23:34

My fav is Desiré. In fact that is the only album I Can listen to without reservations. Even Blood on the tracks I Think has something mawkish to it.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: November 7, 2011 23:39

No Mercy is my "go to" Dylan album. Love the late night atmosphere and laid back feel of the production. What Good Am I, Disease Of Conceit, What Was It You Wanted, Man In The Long Black Coat, Ring Them Bells, Most Of The Time, the entire album is magnificent.

Never listen to his earlier albums these days, but Oh Mercy gets spinned at least once a week, sometimes daily. In my top 5 albums of all time.

Date: November 7, 2011 23:59

daily spinnings?? i don't think i ever do anything more than possibly monthly spinnings of any album...exceptions being new releases. there's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff out there for frequent spinnings of anything. ok, i'm done spinning on this subject.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 8, 2011 00:12

glad to get a shout out for Oh Mercy!

thumbs up

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 8, 2011 00:46

I'm not going to mention or quote others on here,I'll just say I have loved Blonde on Blonde since I first bought it in 1968, loved the fact that side 4 only had 1 song the utterly brilliant Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands.
I have of course since bought it on CD.
I remember once getting stuck in traffic for a couple of hours on my way to work about 6 years ago,and Blonde On Blonde was playing on my CD player,it was still playing when the traffic eventually got going again,a testement to a great record that you can listen to it over and over,I don't think there is a weak track on there.
I' very fond of loads of his other albums too,but I have a real love for Blonde On Blonde.
By the way Erik,I got Claptons Crossroads Box set a few weeks ago and apart from the very early stuff on side 1,a fabulous cross section of his work,people forget how good a musician he is.
Don't have a favourite album as such ,but the Derek and the Dominoes live set is a great listen.
I was 1 of the fortunate people to be at Blackbushe Aerodrome to see both Dylan and Clapton,all be it a very long way back.

Date: November 8, 2011 01:28

Gazza
Come On
I'm always wonder why other Dylan-fans always lift this Blood on the tracks to the skies when a annoying song like Idiot Wind is on it...???

..because its brilliant?

Although the version on 'Hard Rain' is even better. Possibly his single greatest live performance ever.

My favorite live performance by him is "I Don't Believe You "She Acts Like..)" from the Last Waltz

No love for John Wesley Harding or New Morning?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 8, 2011 01:39

Blonde On Blonde
Blood on the Tracks
Time Out of Mind.
I'm not a great fan of Dylan of the last 10 years because I got used to actually hearing and appreciating his great lyrics. Clearly. I've seen him twice, both times I was very disappointed. He played songs that were a bit obscure...and I know, it's the same ole story with Stones fans. If you're a die hard fan and the artist plays deep cuts, you're thrilled. A casual fan wants the hits! Ironic and true.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2011 01:46

Palace Revolution 2000
Gazza
Come On

..because its brilliant?

My favorite live performance by him is "I Don't Believe You "She Acts Like..)" from the Last Waltz

No love for John Wesley Harding or New Morning?

I listed JWH at No.7. New Morning is a bit patchy, but has some great moments. I really like his voice on that album too (he had a head cold when he recorded it, apparently....)

Date: November 8, 2011 01:59

Dylan is a tough one because he doesn't make it easy for us, the fans.
What about Empire Burlesque?

I am going to go out and get "Hard Rain" . Mick Ronson and Steve Soles on guitars.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2011 02:05

>Dylan is a tough one because he doesn't make it easy for us, the fans.

Definitely bloody not. Could have actually been a decent album had Arthur Baker not ruined it - the outtakes are worth checking out, much more stripped down and listenable.

>I am going to go out and get "Hard Rain" . Mick Ronson and Steve Soles on guitars

Fabulous record. Especially side two.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: November 8, 2011 02:11

Hard Rain is brilliant !!!! but it has to be Desire for me...

Date: November 8, 2011 02:17

mickschix
Blonde On Blonde
Blood on the Tracks
Time Out of Mind.
I'm not a great fan of Dylan of the last 10 years because I got used to actually hearing and appreciating his great lyrics. Clearly. I've seen him twice, both times I was very disappointed. He played songs that were a bit obscure...and I know, it's the same ole story with Stones fans. If you're a die hard fan and the artist plays deep cuts, you're thrilled. A casual fan wants the hits! Ironic and true.

you're not in love with him

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 8, 2011 02:18

Finally! An interesting thread.

Like Gazza's selection of fave LPs and I continue to think in vinyl and the memory of seeing the album cover etc.

But thanks to a certain cool person, I often play Dylan boots from European conerts.

Slow Train Coming has always been fantastic track for me...kinda like dessert after a morning of Dylan songs.

I continue to think of "Like a Rolling Stone" as monumental in that this track played so solidly on radio in the Sixties was a real shout out to young people across the USA that "something is happening..." Mesmerizing.

Date: November 8, 2011 02:19

Palace Revolution 2000
Dylan is a tough one because he doesn't make it easy for us, the fans.

horrific production makes what was a collection of reasonably good songs almost unlistenable. it was the precipice for the horrors that were to come, too. for that alone it gets demerit points.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:01

Love most of them, but here are my fav's...

Nashville Skyline
Self Portrait
John Wesley Harding
Bob Dylan Greatest Hits Vol 2
Love & Theft
Modern Times
Blood on the Tracks
Saved

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:03

Blood on the Tracks. It may not have had the iconic legend of Blonde or Hwy, but it seemed more personal, detailing the breakup of his marriage.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:03

Been a Dylan fan a long time since the mid sixties and I always go back to "John Wesley Harding" keeps me grounded that's for sure.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:05

His best for me are:

Blood on the Tracks
Blonde on Blonde
Freewheelin'
The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert
Highway 61 Revisited...

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:11

Blood On The Tracks

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:42

Dust Bowl Ballads....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:46

A cherished Dylan memory: Front row seats. Couldn't resist a little good-natured heckle. Don't even remember what I said, and doubted that he even heard me. But when he did Masters Of War, and he got to line "Like Judas of old", he looked right at me.

Date: November 8, 2011 03:50

That is classic Tatters! Would that have been his show at Medowbrook??? When he was touring with GE Smith?? I was there.

Date: November 8, 2011 03:57

whitem8
That is classic Tatters! Would that have been his show at Medowbrook??? When he was touring with GE Smith?? I was there.

It was at the Palace in '98, on that tour where Joni Mitchell opened for him. The "Judas" reference, of course, goes back to the famous 1966 UK gig where someone shouted "Judas!" and Bob said "You're a liar, I don't believe you" and then turned to The Band and instructed them to "play f--king loud!"

Date: November 8, 2011 03:59

Yeah, I get the reference, hence one of my fav albums is the Live Bootleg with that dolt on it yelling out Judas. I missed that show at the Palace, and it seems strange he played to such a big audience. How was the show. I saw him at Pine Knob with Petty, Medowbrook, Hill Auditorium and at the State. Then in DC he warmed up for The Grateful Dead, one of their last shows...

Date: November 8, 2011 04:10

whitem8
Yeah, I get the reference, hence one of my fav albums is the Live Bootleg with that dolt on it yelling out Judas. I missed that show at the Palace, and it seems strange he played to such a big audience. How was the show. I saw him at Pine Knob with Petty, Medowbrook, Hill Auditorium and at the State. Then in DC he warmed up for The Grateful Dead, one of their last shows...

I think the Palace was only half full. Tickets were relatively cheap, considering it was Bob and Joni. Front row was only $45. Great show. Joni definitely had me under her spell. Bob was fantastic. Also saw him with Petty at the Garden in '86, at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor in '96, and, most recently, at Cobo in 2001.

Date: November 8, 2011 04:31

ok my real favorites would be

freewheelin'

highway

bringing it

blonde

nashville

john wesley harding

self portrait

dylan

blood on the tracks

desire

street legal

new morning

oh mercy

infidels (rough cuts)

time out of mind

modern times

the christmas one

etc...

Posted by: winter ()
Date: November 8, 2011 05:04

For the new-to-Dylan curious and the modern listener, I would recommend Oh Mercy because of the 'atmospherics', courtesy of producer Daniel Lanois. It's a more multi-dimensional listening experience. If someone just wanted to hear 'what the fuss was all about' with his lyrics, I'n not sure whether I would go with 1960's stuff or Blood on the Tracks/Desire period. My favorite 2 songs from him (studio) are "Up To Me" and "Isis".

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home