Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
I like the Dirty Work album...
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:22

...and I don't care who knows it.

One Hit = freakin' awesome

Re: I like the Dirty Work album...
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:22

.....so does me girl-friend ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:24

[passing popcorn while shaking tailfeather] :E

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:30

Send It To me

One Hit = freakin' awesome

Along with 'Bridges To Babylon' it's my favourite post-Tattoo You RS album.

I also like the Dirty Work album...
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:31

Send It To me

smiling smiley Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 25, 2011 12:32

One Hit
Fight
Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

All great!

Date: October 25, 2011 12:39

DandelionPowderman
One Hit
Fight
Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

All great!

smileys with beer

Even though Too Rude sounds more like UB40 than The Rolling Stones...

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:42

The outtakes are marvellous, it could be the best post Tatoo You RS's album. They made the wrong choice, i still do not know why

Date: October 25, 2011 12:44

Sleepy City
DandelionPowderman
One Hit
Fight
Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

All great!

smileys with beer

Even though Too Rude sounds more like UB40 than The Rolling Stones...

You won't get those twisted guitars, nor that soulful voice from (the now bankrupt?) UB40 winking smiley

But I agree, the drum echo machines were a bit too much. Still a great tune though.

Date: October 25, 2011 12:45

KeithNacho
The outtakes are marvellous, it could be the best post Tatoo You RS's album. They made the wrong choice, i still do not know why

Yeah, but releasing the first Stones album on Columbia with only Keith-tunes? Could never have happened...

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:20

I return to One Hit (love this) and Dirty Work (pretty good) quite often, but can happily skip the rest

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:30

Dirty Work is the best Stones album after Beggars, Black and Blue, Exile, ER Tatoo You and Some Girls. In other words their 7th Masterpiece!!!
smileys with beer

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:33

I must admit that i´m in love with the gootlegs known as Crushed Pearls and Back to Zero. The best of the last 30 years

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:39

Lucky You! Just wait till you will hear the other 21 made by Stones...You're gonna be in heaven...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:47

Come On

Lucky You! Just wait till you will hear the other 21 made by Stones...You're gonna be in heaven...

21 ???

eye rolling smiley

Date: October 25, 2011 14:58

I like Dirty Work, Fight & Hold Back, great songs for having on the headphones when running! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: October 25, 2011 15:22

Harlem Shuffle / Had It With You made for a nice throwback 45 but are not indicative of the album.

Too Rude / Sleep Tonight make a nice Keith solo statement, but also seem separate from the album as a whole.

The other 60% has some nice guitar work, but the drums and vocals kill it.
The album also marks the beginning of Mick writing lyrics that can make me wince. For all of the hate given "Back To Zero" the real offender is this in "Hold Back":

And George grasped the nettle / It's do or dare / From the banks of the Delaware

I would also cite "Fight" as the dumbest lyric in total of any song in their catalog.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 25, 2011 15:23

It grows on you;

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 15:45

Would be nice to have the Deluxe treatment on this one. Shame it'll never happen though, since Mick mostly occupies himself with these and Keith doesn't care about it, apparently. There are some great Keith-tunes in these outtakes.

Pete.

Posted by: TwentyDollarMe ()
Date: October 25, 2011 16:18

Hey, hello to all Stones fans from a longest-time lurker!

Talk about bad timing, but this was actually the first Stones album I got. I was 14 then, so that's an influential time and it's great to read there actually seem to exist other fans who like it as it gets so much bad press!

Just listend to it the other day, here's what I think 25 years on:

One hit, especially the opening guitars and the first verses, are still billiant
Fight, Dirty Work and Had it with you, still like to rock along with those. Since I grew up in the 80ies I have developed the natural ability to listen beyond those terrible sounds and production spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sleep tonight, love the melody even if all seems to have been said after one minute basically.
Harlem Shuffle doesn't get me as it used to but is still ok, nice if it comes along on late night radio unexpectedly
Don't care too much about the rest, though

(Don't worry I know and love all the work form the other eras as well. No comprehensive Mick Taylor explanation required here ;-))

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 25, 2011 16:32

I agree, I think Dirty Work is Ok - even at the lowest point in their career - Stones were able to record few cool songs on Dirty Work album: Dirty Work, One Hit To The Body, Harlem Shuffle, I Had It With You, Fight, Sleep Tonight, - all great, I think Hold Back and Winning Ugly are total crap, but it's still lot better than "Undercover"
In my humble opinion - think The Stones lowest point was "Undercover" -not only does the songs in "Undercover" suck, but the production, the sound is a disaster, total @#$%& - crap.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 25, 2011 17:25

Over-produced. Like Steel Wheels and Bridges and ABB

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:08

MadMax
Dirty Work is the best Stones album after Beggars, Black and Blue, Exile, ER Tatoo You and Some Girls. In other words their 7th Masterpiece!!!
smileys with beer

The good news is that treatment is available, and one can have a very high quality of life despite this illness.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:40

as a group effort it barely qualifies as a "Stones Album"

still kind of weird to listen but it does have some good moments..
whatever...they managed something at least, given the times..

Date: October 25, 2011 21:28

MadMax

The good news is that treatment is available, and one can have a very high quality of life despite this illness.

Did I happen to piss you off again Tele?? The truth hurts doesn't? You know I love telecasters, old telecasters.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 25, 2011 22:11

One Hit - Great
Fight - Could've been great, but isn't because of unsteady drumming. (I guess we know why...)
Harlem Shuffle - Great.
Hold Back - Ok.
Too Rude - Would've been great if it wasn't for the hopelessly echoing snare.
Winning Ugly - Actually a cool intro. The rest of the song is easily forgetable
Back To Zero - One the worst song ever recorded under the Rolling Stones name.
Dirty Work - Could have been really cool, but isn't quite. Don't know why. Production may be one reason.
Had It With You - Could have been cool, but with no bass it isn't. When Bill, Keith, Ronnie or whoever couldn't come up with a fitting bassline, they should've found someone who could. Also a little unsteadyness from Charlie here too.
Sleep Tonight - Could have been one of Keiths top ballads, but Ronnies drumming ruins it for me. Why didn't they get a professional drummer in if Charlie wasn't able? This would have been a fantastic song.

All in all an album that could have been...... The songs in themselves are actually mostly good, but production and too much "imperfection" makes this a record that I don't come back to very often.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:14

MadMax
smileys with beer

Dirty Work beating Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed....that´s interesting.

Posted by: purepop ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:18

i always defend this album
i celebrated it's release by buying my first cd player.
loved when they did one hit to the body in toronto sept 1989 and then never played it again.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 26, 2011 00:29

Pete66
Would be nice to have the Deluxe treatment on this one. Shame it'll never happen though, since Mick mostly occupies himself with these and Keith doesn't care about it, apparently. There are some great Keith-tunes in these outtakes.
Pete.

If Keith doesn't care, maybe Mick does and could complete the songs with his voice. Keith's coughing nowadays - some call it singing - does not do it for me.

Date: October 26, 2011 01:12

Well obviously SF and LIB are true classics, but I'd rather bring Dirty Work to an isolated island. Fight and One Hit and Dirty Work wouldprobably help me defend meself better against the manhunters and tigers than say, Dead Flowers and Country Honk.smileys with beer

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home