Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13
Re: tracklist Some Girls reissue
Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 13, 2011 15:49

Didn't Jagger say in the Aspekte-interview that he had to write lyrics
for some instrumentals in this project? This should be Keep Up Blues and
Don't Be A Stranger then. So I don't expect the latter being Fiji Jim...

N

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 13, 2011 15:49

OK just figured it out. Don't know what I was thinking thinking that.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 13, 2011 15:53

DragonSky
OK just figured it out. Don't know what I was thinking thinking that.

Don't think think twice, it's all right

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 13, 2011 15:55

Didn't I Need You even appear on an early tracklist note for Some Girls? I vaguely remember seeing it somewhere years ago. So it's a bit strange than it did not even make the list for this outtake collection. But it's a Keith track, and probably Jagger had the final say and thought one (We Had It All) was enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 16:57 by retired_dog.

Posted by: iggy.pop ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:03

Doc
As I mentionned it in another thread, the DVD will include 3 live songs from the Live in Texas DVD : Beast Of Burden, Honky Tonk Women and Shattered.

Doc, have you got an idea of the contents of the DVD?
I thought, wrongly, that it was the DVD "Some Girls In Texas".

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:06

Gazza
On face value, its a decent looking selection of songs (with a couple of inclusions that are pleasant surprises) but it could have been improved by consisting entirely of songs which were recorded in Paris in 1977-78 (even if a few latter day overdubs were necessary). Thats REALLY not much to expect.

Of course, you are right here with your criticism, Gaz. I think the problem is that the band is misleading their customers in believing that the bonus material actually comes from the sessions for a given (EXILE, SOME GIRLS) album. But that simply is not true. For reason or other, the band has "loosened" the criteria what to release. Perhaps it is the question of finding the best possible stuff from the vaults, or what is easiest re-work, etc. My theory, as I argued above, was that they use these classic and well-known albums a way to release the vaults material. A famous album like SOME GIRLS is an excuse to release any Pathe Marconi stuff, as any potential Taylor-era stuff was released under the legendaric title of EXILE. And it works the other way too: the big albums are more easier to promote because there is new material there.

Any case, I have come up with terms with this policy, and I don't take their word literally here. I'm glad that the stuff is released, no matter under which title. And I'm quite sure that we will not see any other 70's albums being made 'deluxe'. These two are special tokens because these two albums have a huge place in the Stones saga (= there is money there). No use to wait for "EMOTIONAL RESCUE Deluxe", etc. So this is all we are going get from the vaults - so I think it is better that the criteria is a bit vague, and not so historically exact or correct, in order to get as much great music as possible.

I hope I make any sense...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 16:14 by Doxa.

Date: October 13, 2011 16:27

If the bootlegged version of "I Need You" is the most finished take than I understand why it didn't make the grade. While many of us love outtakes, artists are never likely to be satisfied with the imperfect quality. Keith can't very easily fix his vocal on "I Need You" because his voice has changed too much over the years. I believe a Keith lead vocal is something that is a requisite for a project so the choices were probably down to the remix of "Before They Make Me Run" or moving forward an album and selecting either "Let's Go Steady" or "We Had It All." The former is a duet and is already available in a very good live version on the New Barbarians album so the latter seems the better choice. From my perspective, I'm pleased they went with 12 outtakes and no alternate versions, remixes, or instrumental outros this time.

Of course if the Examiner's scoop turns out to be rubbish, we'll all be kicking ourselves. I'm banking on an official press release following shortly to confirm this. The absence of the DVD is troubling. I wonder if it fell to the wayside like the rumored Ed Sullivan Show CD that is no longer part of the DVD set.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:28

"I Need You" could've (should've ) been the Keith song they included.

"We Had It All" as stated is the wrong session and far more solo Keith than Stones in sound. I guess we're lucky its not "Harder They Come" for the FIRST time on a full length CD release.

Date: October 13, 2011 16:29

Petrol Blues = Petrol Gang?

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:35

DandelionPowderman
Petrol Blues = Petrol Gang?

Quite possibly.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:36

Doxa
Gazza
On face value, its a decent looking selection of songs (with a couple of inclusions that are pleasant surprises) but it could have been improved by consisting entirely of songs which were recorded in Paris in 1977-78 (even if a few latter day overdubs were necessary). Thats REALLY not much to expect.

Of course, you are right here with your criticism, Gaz. I think the problem is that the band is misleading their customers in believing that the bonus material actually comes from the sessions for a given (EXILE, SOME GIRLS) album. But that simply is not true. For reason or other, the band has "loosened" the criteria what to release. Perhaps it is the question of finding the best possible stuff from the vaults, or what is easiest re-work, etc. My theory, as I argued above, was that they use these classic and well-known albums a way to release the vaults material. A famous album like SOME GIRLS is an excuse to release any Pathe Marconi stuff, as any potential Taylor-era stuff was released under the legendaric title of EXILE. And it works the other way too: the big albums are more easier to promote because there is new material there.

Any case, I have come up with terms with this policy, and I don't take their word literally here. I'm glad that the stuff is released, no matter under which title. And I'm quite sure that we will not see any other 70's albums being made 'deluxe'. These two are special tokens because these two albums have a huge place in the Stones saga (= there is money there). No use to wait for "EMOTIONAL RESCUE Deluxe", etc. So this is all we are going get from the vaults - so I think it is better that the criteria is a bit vague, and not so historically exact or correct, in order to get as much great music as possible.

I hope I make any sense...

- Doxa

I stille hope for a GHS deluxe though. Around the release of Exile-deluxe that was mentioned as a possibility.

Date: October 13, 2011 16:40

GetYerAngie
I stille hope for a GHS deluxe though. Around the release of Exile-deluxe that was mentioned as a possibility.

If there ever would be a GHS deluxe, I bet disc 2 would feature the "Brussels/London 1973" recordings, and not studio outtakes. They must know how highly those live recordings are appreciated amongst the public

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:41

It could be very interesting for us. Most of us know the new traks from different boots. So we can see what is done on the tracks for Some Girls Deluxe. I'm satisfied with the track list, unfortunately we are missing "Some People Tell Me", a simple blues scheme with a howling, growling, barking MT and great interweaving guitars from Ronnie an Keith.

Date: October 13, 2011 16:42

Sorry not howling MT (!), but MJ of course!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:42

Mathijs
We could complain for years

LOL, that's exactly what will happen smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:50

Blueranger
Incredible, people are already complaining! We're essentially given a new album worth of songs (give or take So Young), and people are crying about alternate versions missing. Back in 2010, people complained that Exile featured alternate versions, as they only wanted unreleased songs, Make up your minds people! Be satisfied with what we get!

hello - you new in town?

Date: October 13, 2011 16:52

Greenblues
Whale
Greenblues
Gangster's Maul would've been even another track from the Emotional Rescue sessions...
It could be an outtake from Primitive Cool too, as I understood here once.
With I need you missing maybe that's what we should be hoping for: a double CD with outtakes from the primitive cool sessions and a DVD with an Australia concert.

You're right about Gangster's Maul. There is a finished outtake from the Primitive Cool sessions. It's on a bootleg called "Primitive Cool Reherasals".

it's a gangster's MOLL (as in his Molly!)...geez....

Date: October 13, 2011 16:53

Erik_Snow
GetYerAngie

If there ever would be a GHS deluxe, I bet disc 2 would feature the "Brussels/London 1973" recordings, and not studio outtakes. They must know how highly those live recordings are appreciated amongst the public

Agree 100%. Brussels/London is a must have for us. Hope then that they don't mix MT too low in the official version like they did in the "Ladies and Gentlemen" film. This belittled somewhat the quality of this great testimony.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:57

Blueranger
Be satisfied with what we get...........

And you will always live a satisfied life.
Disappointment is always caused by too high expectations.
smileys with beer Cheers.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 13, 2011 16:59

Erik_Snow
barbabang
Exactly what I was thinking Eric. Why not the new tracks on vinyl? Disappointing. Could have been a double album like with the Nirvana reissue.

Yeah - and it's not just that "we" want it. It's a strange decision to not release the "alternate SG" on vinyls, because I think "a lot" of people would want it, and therefor RS would sell a lot more of them vinyls. So I can't understand why they didn't put out the Exile and SG outtakes on LP.

I surely don't think it's any fun with buying CDs anymore. If I am to pay for music, I like to buy vinyl. And I think a lot of people feel the same. Jagger losing out on a lot of $$$ here....!

Yes, a puzzling decision, given they're trying to extract as much cash from us as they can, why not offer something like extra tracks on vinyl, to achieve that goal?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 13, 2011 17:09

So, to do the maths. It's 2 CD for approx 30 Euro and 1 DVD for 20 Euro that will be necessary to buy if you can spare the knick-knacks. 50 Euro in total to ask Santa for then?

Date: October 13, 2011 17:09

So Young is a weird choice. Wonder if that is correct... confused smiley

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: October 13, 2011 17:10

StonesTod
Greenblues
Whale
Greenblues
Gangster's Maul would've been even another track from the Emotional Rescue sessions...
It could be an outtake from Primitive Cool too, as I understood here once.
With I need you missing maybe that's what we should be hoping for: a double CD with outtakes from the primitive cool sessions and a DVD with an Australia concert.

You're right about Gangster's Maul. There is a finished outtake from the Primitive Cool sessions. It's on a bootleg called "Primitive Cool Reherasals".

it's a gangster's MOLL (as in his Molly!)...geez....

Hammer Horror - I forgot :-)

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 17:18

Based on reliable rumors I am guessing So Young will probably be a different mix. Let's hope for the old vocal instead of the '94 retake. But if Jagger wasn't happy with the old vocal in 1994, why would he be now?

I think they want to make this deluxe second disc feel like an album. With actual songs instead of jams / alternates from the actual album. So Young is from the right timeframe (not that they care too much) and is actually a good, finished song. I can easily see why they want to include this. It's too good not to include.

It's not that strange, if you look at other artists deluxe versions, to put something on there that has already been released in some form before. I mean, Soul Survivor had been released before the Exile deluxe, right? So what's the difference? So Young is probably sort of like an alternate.

BUT WHERE'S I NEED YOU???

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 13, 2011 17:18

Erik_Snow
GetYerAngie

Interesting thought Erik

How do you suppose they could improve on that sound though?
Hopefully it wouldn't be Brussels if you know what I mean

Date: October 13, 2011 17:22

thijs1981
Based on reliable rumors I am guessing So Young will probably be a different mix. Let's hope for the old vocal instead of the '94 retake. But if Jagger wasn't happy with the old vocal in 1994, why would he be now?

I think they want to make this deluxe second disc feel like an album. With actual songs instead of jams / alternates from the actual album. So Young is from the right timeframe (not that they care too much) and is actually a good, finished song. I can easily see why they want to include this. It's too good not to include.

It's not that strange, if you look at other artists deluxe versions, to put something on there that has already been released in some form before. I mean, Soul Survivor had been released before the Exile deluxe, right? So what's the difference? So Young is probably sort of like an alternate.

BUT WHERE'S I NEED YOU???

I agree, but still, So Young is already released - not too long ago... And it wasn't like they didn't have lots of songs to choose from.

Date: October 13, 2011 17:24

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
GetYerAngie

Interesting thought Erik

I wouldn't object to GHS, bonus tracks AND a 1973 live show.

Date: October 13, 2011 17:25

let's revolt, protest and picket the cd stores and online stores (i'll have to figure out how to do that) and demand they put out misty roads, fiji jim and i need you (and drop so young)...let's not the bastards get away with this travesty.

Date: October 13, 2011 17:28

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
GetYerAngie

Interesting thought Erik

I don't think the sound could be any improved, since the best circulating recordings are allready taken from pre-FM reels. And even Jagger himself took part of the mixing, in 1974 (for the "Nasty Music" source, not the "Europe 73" source). I just hope they don't downgrade the sound

Some other concert from 1973, than the famous "Brussels" would of course be more interesting for us. But I doubt that KBFH recorded that many shows in 1973; and I also doubt that the recordings Rolling Stones themself made on that tour, is as good as Brussels/London.....so....I bet Brussels/London would be the obvious choice for them to release.

Date: October 13, 2011 17:38

Hey, it's the second release of "So Young" this year since it was on The Singles 1971-2006 box set, too. Maybe it can be part of the 1990s outtakes next year, too since it was given a new vocal during the VOODOO LOUNGE sessions. Kinda nice to see it become for new releases what "You Got Me Rocking" has been to concerts.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home