Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13
Re: tracklist Some Girls reissue
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 13, 2011 17:40

StonesTod
let's revolt, protest and picket the cd stores and online stores (i'll have to figure out how to do that) and demand they put out misty roads, fiji jim and i need you (and drop so young)...let's not the bastards get away with this travesty.

i've even got a great name for this movement: Occupy Some Girls

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 13, 2011 17:59

StonesTod
StonesTod
let's revolt, protest and picket the cd stores and online stores (i'll have to figure out how to do that) and demand they put out misty roads, fiji jim and i need you (and drop so young)...let's not the bastards get away with this travesty.

Could it be a more serious name like -

- Commando Free Some Girls
- Some Girls Liberation Front
- Stone People Movement
- Fan Power vs. Archive Dictatorship Fraction

or something along these lines?

Remember, they must take us serious from the very start, otherwise we will never win.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2011 18:10

StonesTod
StonesTod

"F**k Some Girls" has a nicer ring to it!

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: October 13, 2011 18:30

If they are including latter outtakes, how about "Lonely At The Top"?

Date: October 13, 2011 18:36

retired_dog
StonesTod
StonesTod

- Stone People Movement

Remember, they must take us serious from the very start, otherwise we will never win.

we need a spokesperson that frightens them. i nominate colonial.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 18:39

corriecas
Blueranger
Incredible, people are already complaining! We're essentially given a new album worth of songs (give or take So Young), and people are crying about alternate versions missing. Back in 2010, people complained that Exile featured alternate versions, as they only wanted unreleased songs, Make up your minds people! Be satisfied with what we get!

Good post!!!!
people crying,weeping and complaining.
Be happy with a good and interesting release!
bye
jeroen

My only real gripe is that it has three covers. They had more than enough original material recorded they could've included. Using tracks recorded after the SG sessions is unnecessary for the same reason. Sub "I Need You" for "We Had It All" (obligatory Keith vox taken care of) and either "Misty Roads" or "Fiji" for "Talahassie" and it's simply a stronger set. So it's good as is but a couple small tweaks would've made it exceptional. I still think they're probably wrong with "So Young" and it's probably a different track.

Date: October 13, 2011 18:51

StonesTod
retired_dog
StonesTod
StonesTod

- Stone People Movement

we need a spokesperson that frightens them. i nominate colonial.

He has my vote too. He'll scare the shit out of 'em.

Date: October 13, 2011 19:00

I fear this will end with online footage of colonial beheading Ronnie?

Date: October 13, 2011 19:07

If asked why they didn't include more 1977-78 outtakes, I hope Keith resurrects his old Norman Gunsten line, "Because we forgot all their @#$%& names!"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 13, 2011 19:10

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Colonial would be happy with 10 different versions of Miss You.

Date: October 13, 2011 19:30

sweetcharmedlife
WilliamPatrickMaynard
Colonial would be happy with 10 different versions of Miss You.

Shows that he is not easily satisfied.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 19:35

I agree the selection on the bonus disc, if tweaked, could have been wonderful.

As it is it still has a fair few gems there and I'm happy with it; to echo many other posts above I would have loved to have seen "I Need You" - a sterling slice of Jagger/Richards songwriting and possibly my favourite outtake.

Great to see 'Claudine' there, and I hope "I love you too much" is the fast, punky version as opposed to the slower, more groove version (from later session?)

Not sure if these are from the same sessions, but 'Dancing Girls', 'Lucky in Love' & 'Everlasting is my Love' would have been good too.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 19:38

Not including the B-Side 'everything is turning to gold' is just plain puzzling. Already finished and should be a legitimate extra for a reissue.

So Young and the ER era tracks just show that Mick and Don Was don't really think fans will appreciate the difference. They probably (rightfully) assume that most casual fans won't have So Young or know that We Had It All is from ER.

What is puzzling and contradictory is pricing this set higher than the Exile one and therefore OUT of the price range of the casual fan that wouldn't know this info anyway!

Can you imagine a casual fan dropping $30 plus for these sets in Wal-Mart?
I'm sure Exile picked up lots of impulse buys last year from the marketing and the price point.

Date: October 13, 2011 19:46

KeefintheNight82
Can you imagine a casual fan dropping $30 plus for these sets in Wal-Mart?

i can't even imagine a fanatic like me doing something that dumb....

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 13, 2011 19:48

I was amazed this afternoon when I saw how the new U2 box sets were priced and what they give you for £75.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 20:06

IrelandCalling4

Not sure if these are from the same sessions, but 'Dancing Girls', 'Lucky in Love' & 'Everlasting is my Love' would have been good too.

"Dancing Girls" in particular is one of my favourite outtakes.

Is this "Lucky In Love" outtake you mention the same tune as the one released on Jagger's "She's The Boss" album, or is it something different altogeher?

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: October 13, 2011 20:07

some thoughts...

which "Claudine", the slow or the fast one?

and

as much as we discuss the merits of these selections, bear in mind that someone chose them for their individual merits as well as how they sound together, sequenced on a CD. The Stones have always put together records using a bit from these sessions and a bit from those sessions. In Jagger's mind, these may be evocative of the mood/spirit/temperament of the band during the years they recorded the album, nothing more.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 13, 2011 20:25

KeefintheNight82
Not including the B-Side 'everything is turning to gold' is just plain puzzling. Already finished and should be a legitimate extra for a reissue.

So Young and the ER era tracks just show that Mick and Don Was don't really think fans will appreciate the difference. They probably (rightfully) assume that most casual fans won't have So Young or know that We Had It All is from ER.

Well, if the "So Young" has the original vocals (which I think are better) it will be different but "Turning To Gold" already being a B side AND already having an album release I can understand it being not considered...

Date: October 13, 2011 20:39

thkbeercan
some thoughts...

which "Claudine", the slow or the fast one?

and

as much as we discuss the merits of these selections, bear in mind that someone chose them for their individual merits as well as how they sound together, sequenced on a CD. The Stones have always put together records using a bit from these sessions and a bit from those sessions. In Jagger's mind, these may be evocative of the mood/spirit/temperament of the band during the years they recorded the album, nothing more.

The slow "Claudine" is an early run-through, so its inclusion would surprise me, especially considering the existence of a finished track (the "fast" version).

I understand that their aim is to release a selection of unreleased tracks that has a certain "flow" and can stand on its own as a listenable/marketable product and not just a collection of halfbaked unfinished stuff like so many bootlegs.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 13, 2011 20:40

I only have 8 or so unreleased tracks from around this era, so I have a few Q's for the more knowledgeable, and some observations.

Q's: Is 'Need a Yellow Cab' the same as "Do You Think I Really Care?" since I can hear that line several times in the song? And is 'I like it too much' going to be "I Love You Too Much"?

Observations: Since 'Claudine' has made the list, I don't think Fiji is going to be on here because of the similar tempo/feel/vocal delivery. 'Nanker Phelge' (mislabeled in my itunes? it's 5:53 long) and 'Gangster Moll/Maul' both have the type/feel of music I would associate with a title like 'Don't Be a Stranger'. Misty Roads is slightly sleepy and might seem too close to some of the official SG songs: same tempo and phase-shifter guitar tone as JMI, falsettos like Miss You, etc.. And though it is kind of a blues, they tend not to put the word Blues in a song title unless it's a slow number, so it's probably not 'Keep Up Blues'. There's also the 10+ minute workout 'Rotten Roll' complete with percussion etc (which I've never ever understood why people say it became BTMMRun) which sounds like a cross between a less frantic WTWCDown or a slightly more energetic JMI.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 13, 2011 20:46

winter

Q's: Is 'Need a Yellow Cab' the same as "Do You Think I Really Care?" since I can hear that line several times in the song?

Yes, it's the same song. At some bootlegs it's also listed at "Misty Roads".

BTW; come to think of it; there's 2 excellent "Some Girls outtakes" which I hope will be a part of the new deluxe edition; and maybe they are there - with different titles and new vocals.....and that's "Still In Love" and "A Different Kind".

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 13, 2011 21:00

That's interesting Erik; I have Yellow Cab and Misty Roads and don't hear a lot of similarities, but I understand how jams and bootlegger titles can evolve over time with faster/slower versions and misprinted or changing titles spread around. What do you like about "Still In Love" and "A Different Kind"? I've never heard them.

Date: October 13, 2011 21:29

winter
That's interesting Erik; I have Yellow Cab and Misty Roads and don't hear a lot of similarities, but I understand how jams and bootlegger titles can evolve over time with faster/slower versions and misprinted or changing titles spread around. What do you like about "Still In Love" and "A Different Kind"? I've never heard them.

You don't hear a lot of similarities ? But it's the same song and same take; the only differnce is that some bootlegers gave it different names. Or am I forgetting something here.

"Still In Love", that's a beautiful track or should I say "ballad"; and there's several versions available. They also recorded it (again) during the Undercover sessions; allthough that one was an instrumental only. They should have added vocals to that instrumental; as it's so great allready.
"A Different Kind"....also a great kind of slow song, but the lyrics aren't finsihed; Jagger's only mumbling through the song.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2011 21:32

lots of songs from this era were mistitled on bootlegs

Yellow Cab = Do You Think I Really Care
I Like It Too Much = Love You too Much
The Way She Held Me Tight = Misty Roads
Biscuit Blues = You Dont Have To Go
Glass Eye = Never Make You Cry

etc

Date: October 13, 2011 21:33

Erik, I think you're thinking of "The Way She Held Me Tight" being the same song as "Misty Roads." "Yellow Cab" aka "Do You Think I Really Care?" is more of a pinch-hitter for "Far Away Eyes.

"A Different Kind" evolved into "Beast of Burden" I believe. Keith also recycled the riff for "Hate It When You Leave."

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 13, 2011 21:35

I've just popped in to see if they have added "I Need You" yet.
It looks like this is gonna take much more time than I thought.

....and to think I've read Mick trolls here.

Darn

Date: October 13, 2011 21:37

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Erik, I think you're thinking of "The Way She Held Me Tight" being the same song as "Misty Roads." "Yellow Cab" aka "Do You Think I Really Care?" is more of a pinch-hitter for "Far Away Eyes.

"A Different Kind" evolved into "Beast of Burden" I believe. Keith also recycled the riff for "Hate It When You Leave."

Damn, I just realised it, before seeing yours and Gazza's post. Yes of course my memory played me tricks. I'm very famliar with the songs, themselves, but all the different titles made me confused, while posting on IORR.

"The Way She Held Me Tight" is indeed "Misty Roads".

Never thought of "A Different Kind" envolving into "Beast Of Burden....I'll have to relisten to "A Different Kind" with "new ears" the next time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 13, 2011 21:44

Gazza
StonesTod
StonesTod

"F**k Some Girls" has a nicer ring to it!

"Million Some Girls March" anyone?

Date: October 13, 2011 21:45

Munichhilton
I've just popped in to see if they have added "I Need You" yet.
It looks like this is gonna take much more time than I thought.

....and to think I've read Mick trolls here.

Darn

This just in:

they've added I need you.

Date: October 13, 2011 22:12

You're a cruel man, StonesTod.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1717
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home