Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13
Re: tracklist Some Girls reissue
Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:06

keefriffhard4life
the regular version will be 2 discs correct?

No.
It's the "Some Girls Deluxe" version.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:07

Bashlets
is this official

No, it's not official.
Proudmary already posted the link where this comes from.
[www.examiner.com]

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:24

We could complain for years about what they did not release, but I am glad Jagger finally has seen the light after 45 years and does release some of the good stuff. Claudine, Do You Think I Really Care? and We Had it All are better than anything released after 1983, so I am glad...as long as jagger wasn't tempted to add some of his horrible modern vocals that is! Part of the greatness of Do You Think is the ad-libbing...

Mathijs

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:26

Maybe they've auto-tuned You Win Again...

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:35

i cringed when i read "produced by don was"... i hope he doesn't mess this up like he does on everything else he touches with them. i wish they'd get rid of him already b/c he makes the stones sound not like the stones

Date: October 13, 2011 11:14

HighwireC
keefriffhard4life

No.

will in the end thats what i meant. there isn't a single disc that contains the album and bonus material on the same cd.

anyone know if there will be an exclusive rarities only disc like TARGET had with exile?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 13, 2011 11:34

keefriffhard4life
HighwireC
keefriffhard4life

No.

will in the end thats what i meant. there isn't a single disc that contains the album and bonus material on the same cd.

anyone know if there will be an exclusive rarities only disc like TARGET had with exile?

From what I remember; the "Target" release was released in the very last second, without making people aware of it. So people had allready pre-ordered their "2CD version" when the Target CD release was announced. So it's a good possiblity that this will be the case for Some Girls as well.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 13, 2011 11:59

Incredible, people are already complaining! We're essentially given a new album worth of songs (give or take So Young), and people are crying about alternate versions missing. Back in 2010, people complained that Exile featured alternate versions, as they only wanted unreleased songs, Make up your minds people! Be satisfied with what we get!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:13

Blueranger
Incredible, people are already complaining! Be satisfied with what we get!
There's no gangsters maul, there's no I need you.
Need I say more?

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:22

Gangster's Maul would've been even another track from the Emotional Rescue sessions...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:32

Blueranger
Incredible, people are already complaining! We're essentially given a new album worth of songs (give or take So Young), and people are crying about alternate versions missing. Back in 2010, people complained that Exile featured alternate versions, as they only wanted unreleased songs, Make up your minds people! Be satisfied with what we get!

Good post!!!!
people crying,weeping and complaining.
Be happy with a good and interesting release!
bye
jeroen

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:35

In 1994, when they re-worked So Young, they also culled Fiji Jim, We Had It All, Let's Go Steady, Shame Shame Shame (these are the ones I remember, there may be more) from the archives for possible release. Given that We Had It All, strictly speaking an ER outtake, now appears on this Some Girls reissue and that the other songs are covers, it would not surprise me if Don't Be A Stranger is indeed Fiji Jim with 1994 lyrics and vocals, just like Worried About You was only known as Sometimes I Wonder Why from bootlegs prior to its release on Tattoo You.

And for all those who miss a favourite outtake - there's always the chance of a free Amazaon download or Japan-exclusive bonus track!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:39

Greenblues
Gangster's Maul would've been even another track from the Emotional Rescue sessions...
It could be an outtake from Primitive Cool too, as I understood here once.
With I need you missing maybe that's what we should be hoping for: a double CD with outtakes from the primitive cool sessions and a DVD with an Australia concert.

Date: October 13, 2011 12:43

retired_dog
In 1994, when they re-worked So Young, they also culled Fiji Jim, We Had It All, Let's Go Steady, Shame Shame Shame (these are the ones I remember, there may be more) from the archives for possible release. Given that We Had It All, strictly speaking an ER outtake, now appears on this Some Girls reissue and that the other songs are covers, it would not surprise me if Don't Be A Stranger is indeed Fiji Jim with 1994 lyrics and vocals, just like Worried About You was only known as Sometimes I Wonder Why from bootlegs prior to its release on Tattoo You.

And for all those who miss a favourite outtake - there's always the chance of a free Amazaon download or Japan-exclusive bonus track!

One track I would've been interested in is "Golden Caddy", which they also allegedly revived on serveral occasions afterwards. One of these occasions was "Undercover", the other I don't remember exactly. Maybe also 1994?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 12:51 by Greenblues.

Date: October 13, 2011 12:45

corriecas
Blueranger

Good post!!!!
bye
jeroen

Horrible post, not good post
We're discussing the release, from what we know of it by now, good sides and bad sides - because we're most eager on this release. No one's "crying, weeping and complaining". This is not the Salvation Army message board

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 12:50 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:48

No one is complaining????
You need glasses or what....
No Need to fight, relax..
everyone is uptight about this release, ofcourse!!
cant wait
enjoy
bye
jeroen

Date: October 13, 2011 12:54

Whale
Greenblues
It could be an outtake from Primitive Cool too, as I understood here once.
With I need you missing maybe that's what we should be hoping for: a double CD with outtakes from the primitive cool sessions and a DVD with an Australia concert.

You're right about Gangster's Maul. There is a finished outtake from the Primitive Cool sessions. It's on a bootleg called "Primitive Cool Reherasals".

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:57

Erik_Snow
corriecas
Blueranger

Good post!!!!
bye
jeroen

We're discussing the release, from what we know of it by now, good sides and bad sides - because we're most eager on this release. No one's "crying, weeping and complaining". This is not the Salvation Army message board

Hi Erik,

let us all cool down and promise that in future we will just applaud to whatever the Stones do and choose to release. Because, the more I grow up and think of it, they simply cannot do wrong, because they are the greatest.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: October 13, 2011 13:10

KeefintheNight82
Gazza
Isnt 'Tallahassie Lassie' from the RCA Sessions AFTER 'Some Girls'. And 'We Had it all' is from '79. If its added JUST to give Keith a vocal, its a poor excuse.

Christ. They cut about 40 songs for this record, are billing it as a Some Girls outtake collection - and it seems they choose - AGAIN as they did with Exile (Title 5) to rewrite history and make up the rules as they go along.

Still, its nice to get 12 songs instead of 10 as was originally announced.

Technically we are only getting 11 new songs since I am assuming that So Young will probably be the same B-side that was already released.

If so, what's the point then to put this on on this outtake disc?
They can onlt put it on this one if it is completly different from the released on.

Other question:
Is there a song that will be released as a single? Like PMS of the exile re-issue?

Date: October 13, 2011 13:10

retired_dog
Erik_Snow
corriecas
Blueranger
Good post!!!!
bye
jeroen
Hi Erik,

let us all cool down and promise that in future we will just applaud to whatever the Stones do and choose to release. Because, the more I grow up and think of it, they simply cannot do wrong, because they are the greatest.

grinning smiley

Well, yes you are completely correct; Retired dog, I guess I simply can go high or I can go home

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2011 13:27

Mathijs
We could complain for years about what they did not release, but I am glad Jagger finally has seen the light after 45 years and does release some of the good stuff. Claudine, Do You Think I Really Care? and We Had it All are better than anything released after 1983, so I am glad...as long as jagger wasn't tempted to add some of his horrible modern vocals that is! Part of the greatness of Do You Think is the ad-libbing...

Mathijs

Exactly. I think the only criteria of music being relaesed is that it is good. As with TEXAS 1978 movie - that I have not seen yet but I believe it is as great as it is reported - I think it is important that gems like "Claudine" and "We Had It All" will see the official daylight, and thereby the story of the Stones be more full and rich. Already "Plundered My Soul" reminded us that what makes this band so special (and it came out of blue), and it immediately made album like A BIGGER Bang to ask the right to exist at all - that how far The Stones have drifted from real greatness and relevance. I don't really care about the fare of anachronism, the exact date of the original - I just take the music as it is, and I hope it e as good as possible, never mind the origin. Yeah, being exact historywise would be a nice bonus but I can tolarate some vagueness, and like Dylan sings "Masters make the rules, for the wisemen and the fools", and I am just happy they actually, after so many yaers, are opening the vaults. Yeah, and for being good, I really hope that Jagger is holding his horses in redoing the vocals; I think he destroyed a few of the songs in EXILE bonus CD with his recent voice, "Plundered My Soul" being an important expection.

I am sure the SOME GIRLS deluxe extra songs will make a serious contribution to the Stones musical vocabulary and legacy. And it is goddamn great to hear "new" great Rolling Stones songs again, not stuff like "Don't Stop" or "Streets of Love"...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 13:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2011 13:50

As for the historical exactness of the stuff... I think the actual albums - EXILE and SOME GIRLS - are just excuses to release all the potential stuff they have found from the archives closely enough to the particular album. EXILE and its deluxe version refers to all the stuff from 1969 to 1973, that is, roughly, of Taylor era. SOME GIRLS refers to Pathe Marconi era - I suppose in their minds they don't really see the difference if the song is done for SOME GIRLS or EMOTIONAL RESCUE, or perhaps even for UNDERCOVER. SOME GIRLS is just the most well-known, big album of the era (as EXILE). There could be even "Title 5" kind of total anomalies. I think there is in Jagger - and perhaps in all of them - a little fvcker who does not want to be too precise in these kind of matters. They - those old devils - don't want to be so historically exact nerds...drinking smiley

I think if there is the third deluxe album coming on, as it is suggested, it will cover the stuff from the 90's on. Then all of the eras are covered, and I don't think we will see any other DELUXE editions (say, of STICKY FINGERS or TATTOO YOU, etc.) Even though I think they might not realese VOL 3 as, say, VOODOO LOUNGE Deluxe version, but in some other format or concept, since there is not much to tell about - make news - of those post-80's albums. They are not exactly what one would call 'classical' albums that are dying to get "deluxe" treatments...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 13:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2011 14:50

Blueranger

Cheerleader-esque nonsense.

Reviewing an album that you havent heard positively is as 'incredible' as reviewing it negatively - no? Its just as bad as insisting that everyone is blindly 'satisfied' with it.

To be honest, a few 2011 overdubs on unfinished songs doesnt bother me that much as its a better option that, say, releasing a song with dummy lyrics or guide vocals (eg I really hope the version of 'You Win Again' being released isnt the same take as the one thats been bootlegged, as the vocal is atrocious).

Passing off Emotional Rescue outtakes as Some Girls sessions, safe in the knowledge that 90% of people wont know or care anyway, is another matter though. With Exile it was understandable because of the way that album was put together - with Some Girls it isnt.

On face value, its a decent looking selection of songs (with a couple of inclusions that are pleasant surprises) but it could have been improved by consisting entirely of songs which were recorded in Paris in 1977-78 (even if a few latter day overdubs were necessary). Thats REALLY not much to expect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 14:59 by Gazza.

Date: October 13, 2011 15:13

as long as they are giving us something i don't care when it was recorded. look at some of the other deluxe editions and see they throw in things:
*byrds- sweethearts of the rodeo (includes some gram parsons tunes from a band he was in prior to the byrds)
*all 3 geffen era whitesnake albums include live stuff recorded years and decades after the albums release dates
*willie nelson- stardust (disc 2 is just other american classics all released on other nelson albums)

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 13, 2011 15:23

Whale
Blueranger
Incredible, people are already complaining! Be satisfied with what we get!
There's no gangsters maul, there's no I need you.
Need I say more?

I Need You is I Love You Too Much.

They could have left Fiji Jim the way it was, which was very loose. Hopefully it is on this release with a new name. You Win Again's guide vocal is entertaining but yes, not something to release unless it's just 'a look at' what they were doing.

It's funny that some people - and I am a bit odded out by the inclusion of it - are already dissatisfied with So Young being included when, for once, we're NOT getting Everything Is Turning To Gold or another three hour tour of Gilligan's Island - er, Miss You.

If that is the track listing then I am stunned that Misty Roads/She Held Me Tight, probably my all time fave for Stones unreleased tracks, did not get finished - if it doesn't have a new name, which I find difficult to believe. Mick has some strange ears, ideas and choices like this, all usually with bad results.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2011 15:23

Two wrongs (or in this case more than two) dont make a right.

If youre going to pass something off as a time capsule of a certain period in a band's evolution, then at least have them historically accurate to as high a degree as possible.

I would also wager that in the cases of the releases youve highlighted, the artists in question didnt pretend the recordings in question were from the same era as the original recordings. The Stones did precisely that on Exile ("Title 5" for goodness sake!) and I would imagine they'll do the same with this release.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: October 13, 2011 15:26

No, it's not, that's another outtake from the same sessions.

Date: October 13, 2011 15:30

Vocalion

...which is actually called "I Can't Help It If Love You Too Much"

Maybe Dragonsky is thinking about the line in "I Need You", which is "I won't @#$%& you too much"....

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 13, 2011 15:33

Erik_Snow
Vocalion

Maybe Dragonsky is thinking about the line in "I Need You", which is "I won't @#$%& you too much"....

Oh. Yeahp, that's what I was thinking! That is funny...

What? It's "actually" called I Can't Help It If I Love You Too Much? Says who? What if it IS the same song? I guess we'll find out.

Date: October 13, 2011 15:40

DragonSky
Erik_Snow
Vocalion

Oh. Yeahp, that's what I was thinking! That is funny...

What? It's "actually" called I Can't Help It If I Love You Too Much? Says who? What if it IS the same song? I guess we'll find out.

It's not the same song. You don't have to wait for the official release to check out "I Can't Help It If I Love You Too Much". It's easily available on bootlegs.
or if you wanna refer to it as "I Love You Too Much"....then go ahead, it doesn't matter. But it's surely no "I Need You".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 15:42 by Erik_Snow.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home