Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Europe tour 1976. No gigs in Scandinavia, why?
Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: October 8, 2011 17:32

The Europe tour 1976, but no gigs in Sweden or Denmark.They had been here many times since 1965, but in 1976 no gigs, why?

Re: Europe tour 1976. No gigs in Scandinavia, why?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 8, 2011 19:12

They played in Denmark and Sweden (Gothenburg) in 1973. Maybe someone from our friends in Stonesvikings can tell us why they skipped Scandinavia 1976? I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 8, 2011 19:24

Scandinavians were boring yawning smiley)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 8, 2011 19:39

Because it's 2011, and that ship has sailed.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 8, 2011 22:42

My theory:
Either the Stones didn't want to play Scandinavia as they had too much problems with customs and authorities there in 1973 or the government didn't want them in 1976 because of former drugs charges and stuff.
Bill Wyman complained in an interview with Swedish radio in June 1982 that they were all strip searched the day ago when entering Sweden (even him and Charlie).

N

Date: October 9, 2011 01:32

Sounds plausible,NF!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 9, 2011 04:31

No shows in Italy in 1976 also.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 9, 2011 19:26

I suppose the reason is so simply as: money.

The point of touring at that time was still much to promote albums (BLACK & BLUE in this case) and there was not so much money in the touring business yet; the money was in selling records. But 1975/76 also indicated the change of times in stage technology - the band started to carry shitloads of trucks which was an expensive business. This was especially true in Europe where there are lots of customs to cross, exchanging money, different tax systems and other 'local' specialities, etc. To carry the staff to Nordic Europe was probably too expensive (there are seas to cross). Seemingly the band didn't get much money at all from the 1976 European tour. That was the basic complaint why Jagger wasn't into touring in Europe for years. 1979 he skipped the tour, and was reluctant to tour in 1982 either (of course, there surely were other reasons as well but i think the economical reasons might be the reasons to consider first if the other problems are to be solved or not). It was the others who spoke him into that. But throughout the 1982 tour Jagger remained in the interviews that the tour wasn't any cash machine. During that tour the whole Scandinavia was covered just by two concerts in Gothenburg that is geographically about a central point in Scandinavia (and Jagger welcomed different nationalities, no just Swedes, during the concerts).

It was not until the VERY BIG money (Cohlian numbers) were involved in touring business than the band started regularly to visit all over Scandinavia again. For example, finally in 1995, after 25 years(!), the band visited Finland (and had visited every tour ever since). But funnily, as far as I remember, the concerts in Gothenburg in 1982 caused more media hype and interest in Finland than, say, the visits in Helsinki 1998 or 2003 (of course, the 1995 one was a huge deal - it was also the first big stadium concert by anyone in Finland. The Stones were leading the genre also there). A Stones concert, being a as rarity as it was, was a huge happening in 1982. That kind of almost magical appeal and excitement has long ago vanished away around their concerts.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-09 19:36 by Doxa.

Date: October 9, 2011 22:25

It really doesn't matter but Finland isn't a Scandinavian country. It's a Nordic country though. The Scandinavian countries are Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Just to split hairs...

Date: October 10, 2011 09:58

I delate all my posts from this thread from now on because I just wanted to have fun and entertain people some funny self-ironical stories but since it turned out be something boring, dead-serious, and non-funny, so fvck it..

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 14:01 by Doxa.

Date: October 10, 2011 10:08

Doxa
Stoneage
It really doesn't matter but Finland isn't a Scandinavian country. It's a Nordic country though. The Scandinavian countries are Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Just to split hairs...

Yeah,, that is splitting hairs but it seems to such an important matter especially in Sweden. Me, as a Finn, a citizen who proudly lives in a republic and not any "kingdom" would hate to be called a "Scandinavian", or associated with that kind of crap, somehow (barely) copes with the fact that the rest of the world seem constantly to make the error of calling us "Scandinavians". For not making such a big deal of ourselves, we Finns tolarete that. I have personally wittnessed people from Mick Jagger to Nobel Prize winners to commit such a crime here in Finland in calling us "Scandinavians", but I have let them get away with it... Yeah, formally Finland belongs to Fenno-Scandia or Fenno-Scandinavian since our culture - unfortunately - is so closely historically connected to Sweden (for god sakes, we were a part of that bloody sissy kingdom when they were so called "super power" and when the Swedes were having wars all over Europe and "fighting for the last Finn", as it commonly known everywhere.) The term "Nordic countries" was invented to please the Swedish (and to an extent Norwegian) intuitions of not sharing the holy "Scandinavian" title for such peripherial places as Iceland and Finland. For the rest of the world, in common knowledge and language, they equal the same- smoking smiley

For anyone else interested in this matter:

[nasua.wordpress.com]

- Doxa

LOL! Great, Doxa thumbs up

PS: Wishing you the best there, "back east", way outside of Scandinavia winking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 10, 2011 10:17

Thanks for the history lesson Doxa.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 10, 2011 10:30

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 14:02 by Doxa.

Date: October 10, 2011 10:34

Doxa

PS: Wishing you the best there, "back east", way outside of Scandinavia winking smiley

LOL, I'm glad we have the Baltic Sea to demarcate us from (the rest of) you!¨Even the bloody vikings didn't have the balls to come here and confront us; just visited the islands in coastside and quickly run away, those Scandinavian sissies... You know what happend with Bishop Henrik, the first Swedish guy who tried to christinize Finland? We - well, our national hero called Lalli - cut his head with an axe! So sad we couldn't keep the foreign politics as constant ever since. >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

The first Barbarians winking smiley

Date: October 10, 2011 10:44

We in the "sissy kingdom" are very grateful though to our Fenno-Scandinavian brothers for keeping the "Big Bear" away from us during the two world wars. For some reason or another we didn't trust ourselves to do that. Otherwise the whole region may have been called the USSR...

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: October 10, 2011 10:44

It's a question about language. The nordic languages with a common ancestor in proto-germanic/proto-norse are called scandinavian languages. When we talk about nordic languages we include the different finnish and sami varieties aswell, and perhaps even mer "exotic" languages with a history in the Nordic countries like romani.

Of course, Finland could very well be called a scandinavian country because 300 000 finns speak swedish as their mother tounge. In the history of finnish 19th, 20th and 21th century nationalism there has, however, been a strong tendency to dismiss and almost hate everything swedish because it's considered "unfinnish". So if Finland is not considered a scandinavian country, by anyone in the Nordic countries, it's not very surprising.

Date: October 10, 2011 10:50

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 14:03 by Doxa.

Date: October 10, 2011 10:54

Doxa

You know what happend with Bishop Henrik, the first Swedish guy who tried to christinize Finland? We - well, our national hero called Lalli - cut his head with an axe! - Doxa

Yes, it's a nice story. But Lalli and his wife Kerttu were already christians (Laurentius and Gertrud) and bishop Henrik was not a swede, he was an englishman.

Date: October 10, 2011 11:01

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 14:03 by Doxa.

Date: October 10, 2011 11:07

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

LOL, I'm glad we have the Baltic Sea to demarcate us from (the rest of) you!¨Even the bloody vikings didn't have the balls to come here and confront us; just visited the islands in coastside and quickly run away, those Scandinavian sissies... You know what happend with Bishop Henrik, the first Swedish guy who tried to christinize Finland? We - well, our national hero called Lalli - cut his head with an axe! So sad we couldn't keep the foreign politics as constant ever since. >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

The first Barbarians winking smiley

Here is Roman historian Tacitus (AD 97) describing us:

- Doxa

Sorry Doxa, but it's widely claimed that fenni in Tacitus denotes some hunter-gatherer population dwelling close to the germanics. That's also the original meaning of the word finne in the scandinavian languages. The word "Finland" means basically the same as "Lapland" today, just like Finnmark in Norway (where present day finns are called "kväner"). Everything outside, that is north and east, of the scandinavian settlement has in other words historically been a "Finland/Finnmark". At some point in history the word finne in swedish has started denoting a new people, which are the suomi-people, and the hunter-gatherer population thus became "lappar" in swedish. No one knows when this happened, however.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 10, 2011 11:10

Doxa

- Doxa

+1

Date: October 10, 2011 11:21

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 14:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 10, 2011 11:30

In Sweden everybody knows Finland rules. Education, finances, EU, nuclear power, migration and free speech - you name it.

Date: October 10, 2011 11:50

Silly me, I shouldn't have started the argument in the first place. It's like opening Pandora's box! When will I ever learn... Maybe this is the reason The Rolling Stones never toured Scandinavia in 1976?

Date: October 10, 2011 11:53

Doxa, I don't think that many people are aware of these facts and how the different terms are related, for example the simple fact that finne does not originally mean suomalainen. And it's the same in sweden with all these viking-stories that has nothing to do with reality in iron age Sweden. Also the swedes have for a long time believed that she suiones in Tacitus are the swedes of today. But if you read Tacitus it's obviuos that he didn't even know about the Scandinavian peninsula, so the suinones must have lived somewhere more south. The words suinones and swedes are of course related.

Sorry for being boring, but I find these things interesting. And if it discussed, why not write about it? And some stories should, IMO, be put correctly, for example the story of Lalli and Henrik. Stories of a pagan national hero finn killing an "occupant swedesh christian" are actually destructive, when the truth is that it was a catholic finn who murdered a fellow catholic bishop, who was from England. The conflict took place inside christianty and not between peoples or countries. Since misconceptions are huge in this area in Finland I think we should be careful when we make a joke of it, because many may take it seriously.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 10, 2011 11:56

I'm forever thankful for our finnish brothers and sisters that they have provided
a buffert against Russia through all these years.

You've suffered enough. But captivations do not belong in the 21th century. Take note Saudi wahabia.

Date: October 10, 2011 11:57

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 14:05 by Doxa.

Date: October 10, 2011 12:05

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 14:05 by Doxa.

Date: October 10, 2011 12:13

Sweden contributed with 10 000 voluteers, lot of ammo and guns, massive humanitarian aid and moral support, but had to watch out for the germans in south and west. Let us not forget that.

Date: October 10, 2011 12:14

Edited!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 17:17 by Stoneage.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1458
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home