Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Winning Ugly London Mix!
Date: February 6, 2017 17:53

Man...heard this for the first time this weekend.

Cool stuff to me.

Re: Winning Ugly London Mix!
Date: February 6, 2017 17:59

Was our DoomandGloom involved in making that one?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 6, 2017 18:37

I'm eagerly awaiting HMS initiated comment on this one...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 6, 2017 18:47

There is only one adequate mix of Winning Ugly, the bootleg early version.

*** Winning Ugly outtake ***

The official versions are dreadful, and about the bottom of the barrel as Stones songs go ... almost, but not quite, as low as Back To Zero.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 7, 2017 06:33

There is only one good version of Winning Ugly:

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: February 7, 2017 22:23

I dig the song a lot. The released version from album works the best for me.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 7, 2017 22:46

Winning Ugly is a highlight on an album containing almost highlights only.
As usual the remixed-version only destroys what was perfect already.
I hate most Remixes of Stones-songs, especially Babylon-remixes.

Date: February 7, 2017 23:42

Date: February 9, 2017 16:25

HMS

As usual, nothing but crap.

Date: February 9, 2017 16:58

GasLightStreet
HMS

Wrong. Very wrong. Most songs on DW are very enjoyable. The only songs with a questionmark are Back To Zero (sounds quite dated) and Hold Back/Fight (a certain lack of melody). Nevertheless Back To Zero is still better than most songs on Micks first two solo-LPs (and better than such "gems" as Rock And A Hard Place or Terryfying), Hold Back & Fight both have great guitar work, swagger, attitude, angry vibe and are played and sung very passionately. The pure energy of Hold Back and Fight is mindblowing and striking. Both tracks belong to the best on DW, although they aren´t very catchy. All other songs not mentioned are just marvelous. If you would only use your ears!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-09 17:04 by HMS.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 9, 2017 17:06

This is a horrid song. No re-mix can save it. One of their worst. Sounds like synth 80s crap pop with a singer who gargled glass before the studio take. Terrible and depressing coming from The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 9, 2017 17:11

I myself prefer the Vienna Mix...but that's me....smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: February 9, 2017 17:40

whitem8
This is a horrid song. No re-mix can save it. One of their worst. Sounds like synth 80s crap pop with a singer who gargled glass before the studio take. Terrible and depressing coming from The Rolling Stones.

I don't disagree, but in fairness it also has some great guitar playing smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2017 17:54

Stones were stuck between a rock and a hard place in 1985...

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 9, 2017 19:02

HMS
AGREE

Disagree in this song. In fact, that remix is way better - very cool
Agree

Date: February 9, 2017 19:30

DandelionPowderman
whitem8

I don't disagree, but in fairness it also has some great guitar playing smiling smiley

The guitar is not enough to save this pop stinker. Really, the entire song is just so depressing to hear from the glorious Rolling Stones. One of their worst from a tepid album full of meandering commercial attempts to fit in with the 80s instead of leading the 80s. This was where their albums stopped being The Rolling Stones, and shifted to whomever was the dominate force at the time. Strange it was Keith and Ronnie and they pooped out this stinker. With Mick as a guest star who clearly had other goals in mind with his own solo work. This trend continues up through A Bigger Bang.

Date: February 9, 2017 20:02

whitem8
...album full of meandering commercial attempts to fit in with the 80s

The only attempts to fit in with the 80s are Back To Zero & Winning Ugly as far as I can see...

...isn´t that what they´ve always done? In the 60s they started with RnB, became a pop band, tried psychodelic music, they picked up funk/Disco/Dancefloor/Punk in the 70s/80s. They always howled with the wolves to a certain extent.

Date: February 9, 2017 21:07

They were also leaders of the pack and not on this are they! The entire album suffers from the echo laden synth 80s. Charlie sounds like he's drumming on a trash can! Mick sound horrible on almost every song with his growling vocals. You compare his vocals on DW with She's the Boss and it seems like he was purposefully trying to sabotage DW. Some of his worst studio singing of his career.

Date: February 9, 2017 21:16

whitem8
DandelionPowderman
whitem8

The guitar is not enough to save this pop stinker. Really, the entire song is just so depressing to hear from the glorious Rolling Stones. One of their worst from a tepid album full of meandering commercial attempts to fit in with the 80s instead of leading the 80s. This was where their albums stopped being The Rolling Stones, and shifted to whomever was the dominate force at the time. Strange it was Keith and Ronnie and they pooped out this stinker. With Mick as a guest star who clearly had other goals in mind with his own solo work. This trend continues up through A Bigger Bang.

I didn't say it was smiling smiley

Keith's songs were good, btw. You'll find that Mick was way more involved in DW than he's credited for if you listen to the bootlegs.

Date: February 9, 2017 21:19

Fight, Harlem Shuffle, Hold Back, Too Rude, Dirty Work, Had It With You and Sleep Tonight are not attempts of sounding contemporary or commercial.

That's 70 percent of the album.

Date: February 9, 2017 21:20

I love the winning ugly London mix!

Funky stuff and fun

Date: February 9, 2017 21:33

whitem8
They were also leaders of the pack and not on this are they! The entire album suffers from the echo laden synth 80s. Charlie sounds like he's drumming on a trash can! Mick sound horrible on almost every song with his growling vocals. You compare his vocals on DW with She's the Boss and it seems like he was purposefully trying to sabotage DW. Some of his worst studio singing of his career.

You can´t expect them to be the leaders of the pack for all time in a everchanging music world. They were leading the pack in the very late 60s/very early 70s. In the 80s they were already dinosaurs.

I dont think Mick sounds horrible on DW, his voice is in good shape and very strong. The way he sings on DW is dictated by the raw and rocking songs, by the overall angry mood.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 10, 2017 00:06

Time for a DIRTY WORK DELUXE with bonustracks.

I have not played the original album in maybe 15 years...

Through the years I listened more to the alternate versions of Harlem Shuffle, One Hit (instr. promo) and outtakes like Treat Me Like A Fool, Crushed Pearl, Strictly Memphis (this is a great one!!) and more.

Date: February 10, 2017 00:41

RipThisBone

Through the years I listened more to the alternate versions of Harlem Shuffle, One Hit (instr. promo) and outtakes like Treat Me Like A Fool, Crushed Pearl, Strictly Memphis (this is a great one!!) and more.

The early version of Fight is great as well. Baby, You're Too Much is another good one.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2017 04:26

whitem8

b..b..but, don't you wanna be on top, forever on the up and damn the competition?!

Date: February 10, 2017 04:35

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS

Wrong. Very wrong. Most songs on DW are very enjoyable. The only songs with a questionmark are Back To Zero (sounds quite dated) and Hold Back/Fight (a certain lack of melody). Nevertheless Back To Zero is still better than most songs on Micks first two solo-LPs (and better than such "gems" as Rock And A Hard Place or Terryfying), Hold Back & Fight both have great guitar work, swagger, attitude, angry vibe and are played and sung very passionately. The pure energy of Hold Back and Fight is mindblowing and striking. Both tracks belong to the best on DW, although they aren´t very catchy. All other songs not mentioned are just marvelous. If you would only use your ears!

Your failure to use your ears is currently presidential. "Although they aren't very catchy" yet "both tracks belong to the best on DW". Spoken like a Stones fan poseur, not a real true Stones fan.

The best of DW is Harlem Shuffle. The good stuff on DW is Keith's 2 tunes and Had It With You.

That's it.

That's the highest minimum quality of DW.

The rest of it is embarrassing, the worst album by the Stones ever, and belongs here:

Date: February 10, 2017 15:19

Sometimes you can find very precious things in a garbage dump....

This is my final rating and I´ve been very very critical, it´s not a fanboy´s rating:

One Hit To The Body --- 10/10
Fight --- 9/10
Harlem Shuffle --- 10/10
Hold Back --- 9/10
Too Rude --- 7/10
Winning Ugly --- 10/10
Back To Zero --- 4/10
Dirty Work --- 9/10
Had it With You --- 9/10
Sleep Tonight --- 8/10

...in comparison, here´s my rating of my favorite Stones-album, Sticky Fingers:

Brown Sugar --- 10/10
Sway --- 10/10
Wild Horses --- 10/10
Can´t You Her Me Knocking --- 10/10
You Gotta Move --- 8/10
Bitch --- 9/10
I Got The Blues --- 9/10
Sister Morphine --- 10/10
Dead Flowers --- 7/10
Moonlight Mile --- 3/10

GLS, you are the poseur. Your hatred for DW seems exaggerated and totally over the top when everybody can see that there are at least 4-5 songs on DW that should and would please even the most critical fan (One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, DW, Had It With You, Sleep Tonight). It´s time for you to confess that you are just kidding when you ring out statements like "polished turd" "steaming heap of shit" "worst album ever by any band" etc etc.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: February 10, 2017 15:45

You've gotta say if HMS with his Dirty Work etc etc is a troll he's bloody persistent. Most would have given up by now.

Date: February 10, 2017 16:16

RipThisBone

Here's what a DIRTY WORK deluxe with bonus tracks should look like:

Harlem Shuffle
Harlem Shuffle (NY Mix)
Harlem Shuffle (London Mix)
Had It With You

Date: February 10, 2017 16:17

vertigojoe
You've gotta say if HMS with his Dirty Work etc etc is a troll he's bloody persistent. Most would have given up by now.

It's just that it's so funny that someone thinks a turd pile is awesome.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1422
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home