Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Jagger: "I don't know if I will work with Keith ".
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 5, 2011 20:43

mtaylor
open-g
>>The Stone (Ronnie), now 64, said the band were looking forward to next year’s anniversary – and dismissed suggestions of a permanent rift between Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

He said: “We are all looking forward to it; we do not know what it is. I said to them we owe it to ourselves and the people to do something. We are just... whatever, we will find a way.

I wish I could say. We had a great meeting the other week and we all got on great.”

[www.birminghammail.net]

[www.iorr.org]

In the video he says - "anyway" and not "I wish I could say". There's a huge difference.

Thanks, that even better. I'll edit what I can.

Date: October 5, 2011 22:10

<dismissed suggestions of a permanent rift between Mick Jagger and Keith Richards>

This is actually the most accurate description we have got from anyone in the Stones about this so-called rift.

I choose to believe Mick, Charlie and Ronnie. They are all saying they will do something with the Stones next year thumbs up

Re: Jagger: "I don't know if I'll join Keith anymore".
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:13

sweetcharmedlife
proudmary
DandelionPowderman

Still, as a journalist myself, I find it very interesting how much of this crap (I'm thinking about the huge amount of very thin stories - often pure re-hashing - about the Mick and Keith-war) we actually trust and take as the truth as soon as they appear in the media.

Well, I'm a documentary filmmaker- the field close to journalism - so I see what you mean. But my point was that all that Mick's cock'n'balls BS brought Richards a lot of money. What, in fact, was his main intention. Well, and the opportunity to laugh at the expense of Mick ( the pleasure he has never denied)
Your obsession with that 1 quote is nothing short of amazing. Why don't you do a documentary on the size of Mick's penis.

Write a script, find the money, arrange with Jagger - and go ahead, I'm ready

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:24

Grison
Cafaro
MAybe Mick knows we are bored on this board and is trying to give us something to talk about smiling smiley

This is the best comment for weeks I have read on this board. If they will roll and go out they will if not they won't. Leave all your speculations behind and remember the concerts of your lifetime in the past. That is what we have. The future will be always different and there is not a single repeat of any second you live.

Glad to see a few are getting it! We need a class: 'Understanding Your Rolling Stones'!

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: October 6, 2011 05:41

dcba
"trabajaré" = "will work" not "will join"
The thing is he didn't say "trabajare". The interview had to be in English, so he said either "will work" or "will join"

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 6, 2011 16:26

thewatchman
Glad to see a few are getting it! We need a class: 'Understanding Your Rolling Stones'!

OK, then "understanding our Rolling Stones" must be an easy task for you. The problem is that as long as there is no official word everybody is entitled to understand their Rolling Stones in a way that underlines their personal opinions.
It's a free for all game. You can interpret every single statement in this way or that way or another way. Fact is that only the Stones themselves know which interpretation is the right one.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: October 6, 2011 16:54

it's very rare when the Stones go on tour without making a new album (not some kind of best off).
They did it in 2002 for the Licks Tour.
Maybe they will do it again next year for the "One more time no new album Tour" ?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 6, 2011 16:58

jpasc95
it's very rare when the Stones go on tour without making a new album (not some kind of best off).
Maybe they will do it again next year for the "One more time no new album Tour" ?

1975 Tour of the Americas (Made in the Shade)

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 6, 2011 17:09

WilliamPatrickMaynard
...it's interesting that the album Keith bashes most of Mick's was the first one Mick released when Keith was no longer in competition with him as a solo artist

Well, actually, She's The Boss and Primitive Cool came out before Talk Is Cheap, in fact, three years and one year before Talk Is Cheap. Not exactly competition between the two. That would be more in line with Main Offender/Wandering Spirit, since the latter was delayed because of the former. At least that's how I recall it!

Date: October 6, 2011 17:17

DragonSky
WilliamPatrickMaynard
...it's interesting that the album Keith bashes most of Mick's was the first one Mick released when Keith was no longer in competition with him as a solo artist

Well, actually, She's The Boss and Primitive Cool came out before Talk Is Cheap, in fact, three years and one year before Talk Is Cheap. Not exactly competition between the two. That would be more in line with Main Offender/Wandering Spirit, since the latter was delayed because of the former. At least that's how I recall it!

Slide On This and Main Offender came out pretty much simultaneously, no? I recall the papers here reviewing both the very same day (Ronnie's album got one star more than Keith's).

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: October 6, 2011 17:18

treaclefingers
jpasc95

right.
but there was the excellent "It's only rock'n'roll" that came out in 1974. They should've toured just after but Mick Taylor made us a big surprise !

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 6, 2011 17:22

DandelionPowderman
DragonSky
WilliamPatrickMaynard

Slide On This and Main Offender came out pretty much simultaneously, no? I recall the papers here reviewing both the very same day (Ronnie's album got one star more than Keith's).

A month apart. But that's Keith and Ronnie!

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: October 6, 2011 23:00

Julian Ruiz is not a reliable journalist. He did the broadcast of the guitar legends in Seville and, in addition to making a lot of mistakes with song titles, he didn't knew the difference between a telecaster and a gibson. He talks a lot and has an incredible skill to tell stories about "I know personally a famous, and I have a story that this famous has only told me, because I'm his friend..."

Date: October 6, 2011 23:40

jpasc95
treaclefingers
jpasc95

right.
but there was the excellent "It's only rock'n'roll" that came out in 1974. They should've toured just after but Mick Taylor made us a big surprise !

And from that point they toured every 3 years, instead of every two.

Damn that mt!

Date: October 7, 2011 02:53

Translation: I will work with Keith in 2012 and 2013!

Date: October 7, 2011 03:32

If Mick won't work with Keith then maybe Steven Tyler will?

Date: October 7, 2011 16:03

thewatchman
If Mick won't work with Keith then maybe Steven Tyler will?

That would be excellent! Then maybe we'd finally have the stones play on American Idol!

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: October 7, 2011 16:58

johnnyjolene
I think, this is Mick's way to @#$%& with Keith. He want's to Keith regret his book. Mick knows, these statements are prodably driving Keith crazy.

No it makes Keith happy because it is Keith that wants to stop the Stones simply because...what's he going to do? He can't play the guitar any more, but he doesn't want to go down in the books as the riff master who lost his mojo, so he wants Mick to pull the plug so he can blame Mick for the end of the Stones. The last thing Keith wants is to admit the facts and step down, the last thing Keith wants is to see Jagger, Watts, Woody, Taylor (and Wyman) tp come together and make a damn good Stones album without him. Keith is a little child hence his remarks in his book all serving the cause of making it look that it is Mick that pulls the plug. And it looks like from recent events that Watts has no problem playing with Jagger, nor have Wyman, Woody, Taylor and Watts any problem playing together.....it all leaves out Keith, so yes Jagger will do something with the Stones but a Stones without Keith. And it will be good, mark my words it will suprise you all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-07 17:04 by thabo.

Date: October 7, 2011 17:00

thabo
johnnyjolene
I think, this is Mick's way to @#$%& with Keith. He want's to Keith regret his book. Mick knows, these statements are prodably driving Keith crazy.

No it makes Keith happy because it is Keith that wants to stop the Stones simply because...what's he going to do? He can't play the guitar any more, but he doesn't want to go down in the books as the riff master who lost his mojo, so he wants Mick to pull the plug so he can blame Mick for the end of the Stones. The last thing Keith wants is to admit the facts and step down, the last thing Keith wants is to see Jagger, Watts, Woody, Taylor (and Wyman) tp come together and make a damn good Stones album without him. Keith is a little child hence his remarks in his book all serving the cause of making it look that it is Mick that pulls the plug.

Come on! Do you really believe that? Well, time will tell...

Date: October 7, 2011 17:02

DandelionPowderman
thabo
johnnyjolene

No it makes Keith happy because it is Keith that wants to stop the Stones simply because...what's he going to do? He can't play the guitar any more, but he doesn't want to go down in the books as the riff master who lost his mojo, so he wants Mick to pull the plug so he can blame Mick for the end of the Stones. The last thing Keith wants is to admit the facts and step down, the last thing Keith wants is to see Jagger, Watts, Woody, Taylor (and Wyman) tp come together and make a damn good Stones album without him. Keith is a little child hence his remarks in his book all serving the cause of making it look that it is Mick that pulls the plug.

I think there may be merit to that school of thought. I actually believe Keith may have a hard time playing now. Maybe in the studio not as much of a problem, but live would be a whole other can of worms.

Date: October 7, 2011 17:07

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
thabo
johnnyjolene

I think there may be merit to that school of thought. I actually believe Keith may have a hard time playing now. Maybe in the studio not as much of a problem, but live would be a whole other can of worms.

And that's why he deliberately wants to fvck up the Stones? That's stretching it way too far, imo.

He got some good reviews on his playing with Tom Waits now. Let's see if the old geezer can surprise us a bit...

Date: October 7, 2011 18:53

DandelionPowderman
And that's why he deliberately wants to fvck up the Stones? That's stretching it way too far...

No it isn't because in Keith's view the Stones is his band, meaning that he doesn't have a life beyond the Stones, he would be nothing without the Stones, so in his view if he can't join in anymore than they shouldn't play on either. The whole idea that the Stones might be remembered by a great last album that doesn't nclude his highness is a no go area in his psychi. Like I indicated Taylor played with Jagger on Plundered My Soul, Taylor plays with Wyman, Woody and Watts, Jagger also plays with Watts. Where is Keith in this whole thing????? Keith doesn't want Taylor, yet Jagger and Woody etc does, but NOT with Keith. Wyman wants to play but only on the condition that Keith isn't there, Jagger is very clear here also. And even Woody's close companionship with Taylor gives off a clear sign where things stand as far as he is concerned. True, Keith's riffs have been the signpost of the Stones sound in the late 60's and 70's, however there is no reason at all that the Stones could'nt develop a new sound, you don't have to be 20 for it, just look at Jagger and Woody's recent activities to see that new things can be and will be developed. And with some great guest musicians on horns and keyboards ANYTHING is possible.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 7, 2011 19:10

DandelionPowderman

And that's why he deliberately wants to fvck up the Stones? That's stretching it way too far, imo.

He got some good reviews on his playing with Tom Waits now. Let's see if the old geezer can surprise us a bit...

Yeah, probably stretching things a bit too far, but his book does make me wonder just how much he actually gives shiit about The Rolling Stones continuing.

"One more bash" in recent GQ interview... I was quite surprised by that comment, there seems to be a certain degree of acceptance that The Rolling Stones are already or will soon be coming to an end as an actual recording and touring band.

The feeling is in the air amongst fans, but that's the first time I've seen Keith even hint at it.

Strange times.

Date: October 7, 2011 19:13

thabo
[No it isn't because in Keith's view the Stones is his band, meaning that he doesn't have a life beyond the Stones, he would be nothing without the Stones, so in his view if he can't join in anymore than they shouldn't play on either.

You are missing legal considerations of whether they could do so if it was the case.

The whole idea that the Stones might be remembered by a great last album that doesn't nclude his highness is a no go area in his psychi.

His psyche has nothing to do with it. This isn't even a possibility outside of your own speculation unless Keith dies or quits.

Like I indicated Taylor played with Jagger on Plundered My Soul, Taylor plays with Wyman, Woody and Watts, Jagger also plays with Watts. Where is Keith in this whole thing?????

Taylor doing session work for an EXILE outtake is not the same as sitting in on Ben Waters' gig or Stephen Dale Petit's gig with Woody. Where was Keith? Same place as Jagger as far as Ben Waters or Stephen Dale Petit was concerned - it wasn't something they cared enough to show up for. As for Taylor's session work for EXILE, Keith also did overdubs for it so no real point that I can see.

Keith doesn't want Taylor, yet Jagger and Woody etc does, but NOT with Keith.

Where do you get Keith rejecting Taylor from? His sentiments in December 1974? Jagger wants Taylor in as much as it made a single track sound authentic. He hasn't invited him back in the band. Woody has always been friendly with Taylor and has played with him more than any of the others over the past 35 years and that isn't really saying much.

Wyman wants to play but only on the condition that Keith isn't there,

Where did this come from? No interview I have ever read.

Jagger is very clear here also.

Jagger is pissed at Keith it appears. He hasn't said anything about replacing him or carrying on without him. He allegedly said (from a source that was not recorded and whose reliability is questionable) that he might not tour and might not write and record with him. If true, then we're still looking at finishing SOME GIRLS outtakes and likely playing some shows next year. That's all we can reasonably expect since there is no contractual obligation to make an album and no deal for a tour in place. No surprises there.

And even Woody's close companionship with Taylor gives off a clear sign where things stand as far as he is concerned.

Woody's close companionship is the same as in the mid-seventies when they played sessions together, in the mid-eighties when Woody booked him at his club in Miami, etc. He likes him and respects his playing. They play together when they synch up. Nothing big. From that analysis what does Ronnie doing session work for Keith's album just a few weeks ago tell you?

True, Keith's riffs have been the signpost of the Stones sound in the late 60's and 70's,

Try signpost of the Stones sound from the beginning through A BIGGER BANG and you'll be more accurate.

however there is no reason at all that the Stones could'nt develop a new sound, you don't have to be 20 for it, just look at Jagger and Woody's recent activities to see that new things can be and will be developed. And with some great guest musicians on horns and keyboards ANYTHING is possible.

Mick doing SuperHeavy is hardly an indicator of where the Stones are headed musically. Charlie is 70 already and Mick is two years behind. Get a grip. SuperHeavy is a gimmick. A nice gimmick that might help break new territory for Mick and, by extension, the Stones (the "big picture" Mick referred to was the Far East market) but the Stones are not about to reinvent themselves this late in the game. They can't even do so legally if they wanted to and Mick certainly wouldn't risk alienating audiences even if he could do so. This is utter fantasy, but stick around there are a few others who will share your vision even if it has zero chance of becoming reality. Let me know when you think it's a good idea to let Darryl write and sing with the Stones. Finally, regarding Keith's current ability, while road work has yet to be proven (same as Mick who also hasn't done a concert in just as long), he's obviously doing fine in the studio based on the fact that he's diligently working on a solo album that people who have heard it consider vintage Keith (as in Stones signature sound and not just late 60s and seventies vintage). Wait and see on that point.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 7, 2011 19:16

The question nobody seems to be asking is about a month or so from now what will Jagger be saying?

I find it hard to believe that the SG Deluxe won't be released without a push similar to what they did for Exile. Also, what will Keith have to say at that point. Jagger and Richards will have to more than likely do at least a few joint interviews and appearances both with the band and without. The questions will be more pointed at that time as well, since it directly Stones-related.

I may be an optimist and looking into things but Mick writing blues songs with Charlie and Keith recording in a studio (ostensibly for a solo album) could actually be the Glimmer's laying down the musical foundation for the next Stones release-demos and whatnot. I think there's too many layers to this whole Mick/Keith thing than a black and white view. If I remember B2B kind of came out of nowhere and so did ABB. Regardless of the intent of their recent individual sessions those tracks could become Stones songs.

Also, if Jagger is the Inet junky he claims, it would be hard to believe he doesn't peak on messageboards from time to time and see how so many want a blues-based Stones release. And that is exactly the type of material he's been writing and worked on with Charlie recently.

Date: October 7, 2011 19:21

His Majesty
"One more bash" in recent GQ interview... I was quite surprised by that comment, there seems to be a certain degree of acceptance that The Rolling Stones are already or will soon be coming to an end as an actual recording and touring band.

The feeling is in the air amongst fans, but that's the first time I've seen Keith even hint at it.

Strange times.

Yep but the point is Keith is hinting to it, but the fact that Watts, Wyman, Taylor and Woody played together and Jagger played both with Taylor and Watts suggests something else from the rest of the band, Jagger is very clear NOT with Keith but doesn't rule out at all something with the Stones (the other members and rejoining ex-members). It just proofs my point again; it is Keith that wants the Stones to stop (NOT the rest) but doesn't want to accept the responsibility for doing so.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 7, 2011 19:31

It doesn't prove your point again, nothing has thus far, and I really doubt the others would go out as The Rolling Stones without Keith.

Current and ex band members playing together at little tribute concerts, half hour recording sessions etc are different and seperate things to The Rolling Stones going out on tour.

Charlie Watts: "I guess if we agree, we'll do some concerts...I doubt we'll do a tour."

[rocksoff.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-07 19:56 by His Majesty.

Date: October 7, 2011 19:32

While it's possible that Thabo is correct on the bigger picture (it would be nice), one thing for certain is that SOME GIRLS is not getting as big a push as EXILE. The release is barely a month away and thus far nothing is booked as far as media pushes are concerned. I'm sure there will be some interviews, but it is not being treated as the major release EXILE was. Courtney Love and other participants in the STONES IN EXILE documentary were busy dropping praise for the bonus tracks months before it was released. Don Was was giving quotes everywhere. There was a definite buzz generated by UMG months ahead of time and then NBC gave them a week of publicity from Fallon's show. We had track titles leaking while work was still being done in the studio. What do we have with SOME GIRLS? Well, the Fort Worth screening took place. We have release dates synched up for the DVD and CD, but that's it. It doesn't give me much of a feeling of the same push for EXILE considering the release is next month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-07 19:34 by WilliamPatrickMaynard.

Date: October 7, 2011 22:42

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
thabo
johnnyjolene

Well I would prefer if you were right of course. I just think that if he actually can't play anymore, the 'passive-aggressive' approach would be an effective one, and leave the blame with MJ. I'm not saying that is what is happening, I just think the argument has merit.

Date: October 7, 2011 22:47

thabo
His Majesty

Strange times.

Yep but the point is Keith is hinting to it, but the fact that Watts, Wyman, Taylor and Woody played together and Jagger played both with Taylor and Watts suggests something else from the rest of the band, Jagger is very clear NOT with Keith but doesn't rule out at all something with the Stones (the other members and rejoining ex-members). It just proofs my point again; it is Keith that wants the Stones to stop (NOT the rest) but doesn't want to accept the responsibility for doing so.

These are certainly strange times, given we're getting some very good production, with the plethora of deluxe releases, live screen material, and side projects. Still, there is a high degree of uncertainty as to "what's next", if anything.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home