Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Jagger: "you see me coming out of a huge cake in drag."
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 4, 2011 15:46

The real news in this crappy, 'cause lost in translation, article is:

Q. - I repeat: there is a chance to see the Stones on stage?

A. - I repeat, [it] is under consideration. Maybe yes. I do not dispute that possibility.
But it is also possible to celebrate 50 years of the Stones you see me coming out of a huge cake in drag. I do not know.

Re: Jagger: "you see me coming out of a huge cake in drag."
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 4, 2011 16:00

Am I the only one who is much more excited at the prospect of seeing Jagger come out of a cake in drag than seeing another Stones concert?

Re: Jagger: "I don't know if I'll join Keith anymore".
Date: October 4, 2011 16:10

How did you feel about BENT?

Date: October 4, 2011 16:13

I don't know what you're talking about. confused smiley

Date: October 4, 2011 16:20

rebelrebel
I don't know what you're talking about. confused smiley

1:18

Date: October 4, 2011 16:29

Thanks! Can't play with sound right now but it looks great. Look forward to watching properly later.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: October 4, 2011 16:36

Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan are exact copies of Mick. They all play close to the vest, ask them a question and you get an answer but not the true answer. They only tell you what they want you to know.

Date: October 4, 2011 16:48

rebelrebel
Thanks! Can't play with sound right now but it looks great. Look forward to watching properly later.

You might also enjoy Mick's movie, RUNNING OUT OF LUCK and, of course, the promo film for "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?" If you're really lucky, some kind soul might post the picture of Mick and Jerry attending a drag party some years back.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 4, 2011 16:50

Bliss
sweet neo con
Bliss
Just Mick being his old cagey self.

i think it's more than that. i think he's trying to break it to us (the public) gently.
i think (unlike in the past) there is some irreparable stuff between M&K.
it's one thing to feud over solo projects that prevent a Stones tour...it's another thing
when your "brother" tries to personally embarrass you in an unnecessary autobiography.

side note: every time i see things written about SuperHeavy...they say "Mick's new group" or
"their debut album" (meaning there will be more)............IMO these are all subtle ways to say
that Mick has moved on. He won't come right out and say THE STONES HAVE ENDED because there's
always a glimmer of a chance.....and saying something like that might impact the reception of upcoming
vault releases.

It sounds like Mick didn't get what he wanted from Keith (apologies or whatever) in their recent meeting.

You could well be right. I have said all along that Mick was outraged by Keith's book, and predicted that he would pour his energies into non-Stones projects as a consequence. But he is so guarded by nature that he would never truly show his hand.

It's become fairly obvious he's pissed, which is logical, why wouldn't he be?

I think he's been fortunate to already have had the SH project going whilst all the 50th anniversary questions have come up...easier to deflect.

I also think that in his way he's punishing Keith in the media...letting him, and everyone else know who's boss, and it is working.

With that said, and with the right amount of public (non-swiss-clinic) bloodletting of KR, they will get back at it. But I expect a bit of a wait.

Date: October 4, 2011 16:52

treaclefingers
Bliss
sweet neo con
Bliss

i think it's more than that. i think he's trying to break it to us (the public) gently.
it's one thing to feud over solo projects that prevent a Stones tour...it's another thing
when your "brother" tries to personally embarrass you in an unnecessary autobiography.

side note: every time i see things written about SuperHeavy...they say "Mick's new group" or
"their debut album" (meaning there will be more)............IMO these are all subtle ways to say
that Mick has moved on. He won't come right out and say THE STONES HAVE ENDED because there's
always a glimmer of a chance.....and saying something like that might impact the reception of upcoming
vault releases.

It sounds like Mick didn't get what he wanted from Keith (apologies or whatever) in their recent meeting.

You could well be right. I have said all along that Mick was outraged by Keith's book, and predicted that he would pour his energies into non-Stones projects as a consequence. But he is so guarded by nature that he would never truly show his hand.

I think he's been fortunate to already have had the SH project going whilst all the 50th anniversary questions have come up...easier to deflect.

I also think that in his way he's punishing Keith in the media...letting him, and everyone else know who's boss, and it is working.

With that said, and with the right amount of public (non-swiss-clinic) bloodletting of KR, they will get back at it. But I expect a bit of a wait.

When did it become fairly obvious? All I have seen is fans saying it has. When did Mick say anything about it - show me the link...

Date: October 4, 2011 16:54

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Bliss
sweet neo con
Bliss

vault releases.

When did it become fairly obvious? All I have seen is fans saying it has. When did Mick say anything about it - show me the link...

Just stop...are you a lawyer or something? His behaviour says it all. He's not the type of person that is going to come out publicly and say, "Keith was REALLY mean to me! I don't want to play with him anymore".

Use your brain.

Date: October 4, 2011 17:00

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Bliss
sweet neo con
Bliss

vault releases.

Just stop...are you a lawyer or something? His behaviour says it all. He's not the type of person that is going to come out publicly and say, "Keith was REALLY mean to me! I don't want to play with him anymore".

Use your brain.

LOL, no! I just do not believe in random speculation presented as the truth, that's all smiling smiley

Christ, we are talking about a 67 year old rock star here! Why should he care about jokes in a book?

Date: October 4, 2011 17:00

WilliamPatrickMaynard
rebelrebel

You might also enjoy Mick's movie, RUNNING OUT OF LUCK and, of course, the promo film for "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?" If you're really lucky, some kind soul might post the picture of Mick and Jerry attending a drag party some years back.

I had the Running Out Of Luck video ages ago - lost when moving etc. I quite liked it though only watched it a couple of times. This Bent film looks very interesting and thanks for drawing my attention to it.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 4, 2011 17:02

treaclefingers
Use your brain.

As in: use your fantasy to read all your prejudices in anything Mick says?

I agree with DandelionPowderman if he means that everybody is assuming so much and knowing
so little. I've seen people on this board coming to diametrical opposite conclusions, on basis
of exactly the same glimmer of information. I guess they were all using their brains. But none
of them is knowing anything. Let alone anyone knows the truth.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: October 4, 2011 17:18

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Bliss
sweet neo con
Bliss

vault releases.

Use your brain.

LOL, no! I just do not believe in random speculation presented as the truth, that's all smiling smiley

Christ, we are talking about a 67 year old rock star here! Why should he care about jokes in a book?

I thought he was 68, but because you are so fact-driven, I'll defer to your knowledge/understanding of the facts. I think you're misreading of LIFE is pretty obvious, Keith wasn't 'joking' at Mick's expense, he was having a cathartic experience.

Regarding random speculation presented as truth, I haven't ever said that anything is 'for certain'. With that said, if you've heard the expression 'if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck'....well, let's just say it probably isn't Chuck Berry.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 4, 2011 17:33

treaclefingers
Bliss
sweet neo con
Bliss

vault releases.

]

I tend to agree with you Treacle on this, especially the last couple of lines in your post.

Date: October 4, 2011 17:59

If that were the case, then Keith's public response will be to laugh it off and claim he "needed to get a rise out of Mick to kick him up the backside and make him work again."

Personally, my thoughts are since a record contract to exploit the back catalog by finishing off decades-old outtakes was the road taken instead of continuing the routine of making a new album and touring behind it, there had to have been factors at work long before the tiny todger crap started.

Others have suggested that the album is no longer commercially viable, but clearly they would make more money with a new album than they would with finishing up old outtakes. So if money isn't the primary motivator any more, than it is likely both relationship problems and health issues.

Patti's health was definitely a factor for Keith and quite possibly Keith and Ronnie's need to recover from their respective conditions were the considerations to go with the UMG contract as the best way to generate income and keep the band in the public eye while Keith and Ronnie resolved their personal health issues individually. Then Keith's book made relations even more strained between him and Mick. That scenario seems quite plausible to me.

That said, Mick saying they argued at their meeting and resolved nothing is something I'm actually taking at face value. There is likely a reason other than laziness that these guys worked on the EXILE tracks, "Watching the River Flow," and now the SOME GIRLS tracks without ever being in the same studio at the same time.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 4, 2011 18:34

Mick's using the book to sell records. Controversy keeps him/ Keith in the news. He knows how to ride the wave.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 4, 2011 18:35

What did keith's book say that was so bad? I read it, and didn't think it made Mick look so bad. "Tiny todger" - so what, it's no worse a thing to say than "Dogshit in the Doorway," which didn't effect the Stones.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 4, 2011 19:04

Last night I watched a show we taped off PBS. It was an “American Masters” episode about John Lennon in NYC. It brought tears to my eyes for obvious reasons. But I cannot be more interested in what Lennon has to say. He is intelligent, funny, fascinating and insightful. He has no filters. What he says can be total BS, but you never get the feeling that he is BS-ing you (unless he is being puckish). He is THERE, right before you, musically and otherwise.

I never get that feeling with Jagger. There is at least one ‘60’s interview where he tries to make a profound point and the fact that his point falls flat embarrasses the interviewers. He's smart and knows it and he has since learned to hide. He tries to give the impression of thoughtfulness, but he isn’t. He is intelligent, but he does not have insight. He has charisma, but he doesn’t have an artist’s perspective. You cannot tell in his songwriting what he is trying to say. He doesn’t trust himself. In Biggest Mistake the lyrics perk my interest. Is this Jagger making some honest admission about himself? But then he backs off and the song collapses into parody.

The same can be said about the band in general. The mythic image is of a band that does it their way, but the opposite is true. Out Of Control is a song about emotional turmoil, but Jagger and the band have lost confidence to convey the point with words and music without flashing lights to cue the audience and Jagger’s spastic contortions. For me the band in the last decades has been reactionary. It does much to convey what it isn’t. It’s covering its tracks. It hides behind cheap "excitement."

Given all this, I find Jagger’s comment about Keith somewhat astounding. Is this a moment when he lets his guard down? Obviously, he is not ready to declare the band done. There is no reason why he should, I suppose. It is a tactical position. But unlike the days of the earlier feuds that go back to the late ‘70’s, Jagger may not need Keith anymore (and by inference the band). Keith may have become an embarrassment and Jagger will not tolerate THAT. One can imagine that Keith’s various comments over the years has taken its toll and perhaps his book did not help.

Whether it’s arthritis, a conk on the head or simply the general explanation of age, there are serious concerns about Keith’s playing. Besides his playing he has the cruel fate of having to appear in public in disguise. It would be a horrible moment if his head scarf (or hat) ever fell off. He has long become this merry jokester and a poser and clown on stage. I do not know what happened to the cool mumbler that played on stage with a vengeance (and great pride).

There is a general perception that the Stones always followed in the The Beatles’ footsteps. Now, a lifetime later, Jagger might be following in Lennon’s. Like Lennon he will have give up the grand stage, but at least his life will be his own. He may even find he has nothing to hide. He might find THAT refreshing!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 4, 2011 19:10

Just the same old recyled shit we've been hearing since Mick started the media blitz for Super Heavy.Absolutely not 1 single new piece of news in this.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 4, 2011 19:12

pmk251
Last night I watched a show we taped off PBS. It was an “American Masters” episode about John Lennon in NYC. It brought tears to my eyes for obvious reasons. But I cannot be more interested in what Lennon has to say. He is intelligent, funny, fascinating and insightful. He has no filters. What he says can be total BS, but you never get the feeling that he is BS-ing you (unless he is being puckish). He is THERE, right before you, musically and otherwise.

I never get that feeling with Jagger. There is at least one ‘60’s interview where he tries to make a profound point and the fact that his point falls flat embarrasses the interviewers. He's smart and knows it and he has since learned to hide. He tries to give the impression of thoughtfulness, but he isn’t. He is intelligent, but he does not have insight. He has charisma, but he doesn’t have an artist’s perspective. You cannot tell in his songwriting what he is trying to say. He doesn’t trust himself. In Biggest Mistake the lyrics perk my interest. Is this Jagger making some honest admission about himself? But then he backs off and the song collapses into parody.

The same can be said about the band in general. The mythic image is of a band that does it their way, but the opposite is true. Out Of Control is a song about emotional turmoil, but Jagger and the band have lost confidence to convey the point with words and music without flashing lights to cue the audience and Jagger’s spastic contortions. For me the band in the last decades has been reactionary. It does much to convey what it isn’t. It’s covering its tracks. It hides behind cheap "excitement."

Given all this, I find Jagger’s comment about Keith somewhat astounding. Is this a moment when he lets his guard down? Obviously, he is not ready to declare the band done. There is no reason why he should, I suppose. It is a tactical position. But unlike the days of the earlier feuds that go back to the late ‘70’s, Jagger may not need Keith anymore (and by inference the band). Keith may have become an embarrassment and Jagger will not tolerate THAT. One can imagine that Keith’s various comments over the years has taken its toll and perhaps his book did not help.

Whether it’s arthritis, a conk on the head or simply the general explanation of age, there are serious concerns about Keith’s playing. Besides his playing he has the cruel fate of having to appear in public in disguise. It would be a horrible moment if his head scarf (or hat) ever fell off. He has long become this merry jokester and a poser and clown on stage. I do not know what happened to the cool mumbler that played on stage with a vengeance (and great pride).

There is a general perception that the Stones always followed in the The Beatles’ footsteps. Now, a lifetime later, Jagger might be following in Lennon’s. Like Lennon he will have give up the grand stage, but at least his life will be his own. He may even find he has nothing to hide. He might find THAT refreshing!

Nice post

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 4, 2011 19:52

sweet neo con
Bliss

vault releases.

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Then Keith's book made relations even more strained between him and Mick. That scenario seems quite plausible to me.

I'm siding with these two points of views as well.

Whether Mick is playing the ultimate "hard to get" game with Keith or he's generally not interested in reforming the band...it seems Keith's harsh comments about his "friend" in his book has wounded Mick much deeper than Keith or anyone has anticipated.

This is what Keith gets for dishing such a cheap shot.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: October 4, 2011 21:32

MAybe Mick knows we are bored on this board and is trying to give us something to talk about smiling smiley

Posted by: bam ()
Date: October 4, 2011 21:40

I hear the knock on my door that never comes.
I hear the telephone that hasn't rung.

You gotta tell me you're coming back to me.

(OOPS, wrong thread. Or is it?)

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 4, 2011 23:34

Seems to me this is the clearest statement that nothing much came out of the meeting of the four in London.
Mick says there was no agreement so he doesn't know if there's going to be any sort of tour.

He made the cake remark before with an interview with other members of SH.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 4, 2011 23:35

PR

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 5, 2011 01:32

Is Mick being cagey or is he SOOO PISSED AT KEITH that he is simmering! This does not sound optimistic to me....and yes, BLISS, I understand completely why he could be beyond angry. I'd love a ten second REAL answer as to how he really feels about LIFE!!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 5, 2011 03:10

they will do something, will it be a 2 year trek around the world? probably not but shows will be performed IMO

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: October 5, 2011 03:12

I just finished keith's book and to be honest with you if I were jagger I wouldn't want to work with the prick either. What an arrognat squat Richard's turned out to be. My take on his book was if it weren't for him nothing would have happened with the Stones. He wrote all the songs and had some lines and turned them over to Mick ? WOW. According to Richards it was RICHARDS/jagger.
I don't believe a word he says about playing with Mick Taylor. He called the guy a nothing personality wise and from what I have seen on video of them playing he looked pretty jealous of Taylor's playing. Keith may have come up with some riffs but Taylor could play them better . He dumped all over Bill Wyman. The only half way decent thing he could say about him was looking back he was a pretty good bass player and he got me some herion while he was locked up and strung out.

I don't know what happneed to this guy but if the rest of the band never played with him again I can't say that I would blame any of them

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2430
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home