Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
"Half an album done" says Jagger. Suggestions to finish it:
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 14, 2016 16:50

Mick and Ronnie have both mentioned in the press that, before they diverted to the blues project, they had 6-7 songs for a new album. Then they hit the wall creatively. Who says a new Stones album needs to be all originals? As long as they're coming full circle with the blues why not flesh out a new album with tasty, applicable covers? Here's some ideas I had. Not ALL of them but 6-7:

Bleeding Fingers by Lucinda Williams
You Never Can Tell by Chuck Berry (Keith vocal)
Jeanie, Jeanie, Jeanie by Eddie Cochran
The Road to My Heart by Merle Haggard
74 Years Young by Buddy Guy
Midnight In Her Eyes by The Black Keys
There's A Party Goin' On by Wanda Jackson
Lucky Man by Ronnie Wood
Soul Station by Joanne Shaw Taylor
When It Comes to You by Buddy Miller
My Baby Told Me by Howlin' Wolf
Gonna Find Me Somebody To Love by Little Milton
Big City by The Pretty Things

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-14 16:51 by rbk.

Re: "Half an album done" says Jagger. Suggestions to finish it:
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 14, 2016 17:06

Nothing was said about how many songs they had done and hit a wall meaning they stopped working on new songs. They hit a wall while recording, did the blues, and from what hasn't been said, it seems they continued on recording new songs.

Date: November 14, 2016 17:07

Suggestions to finish it:

Pull out the good leftovers from the VOODOO and BABYLON sessions, whatever might have some merit from the LICKS sessions, and finish those.

Date: November 14, 2016 17:10

GasLightStreet
Nothing was said about how many songs they had done and hit a wall meaning they stopped working on new songs. They hit a wall while recording, did the blues, and from what hasn't been said, it seems they continued on recording new songs.

Actually, they said 6-7 songs. And I've only heard the hit a wall-thing from Don Was.

+ Keith's comments the album «was in the can». That was not taken as being in the trash can, course winking smiley

Maybe Keith thought they would use some of the blues stuff on the album with the original material when he said that? I dunno...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-14 17:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 14, 2016 17:10

You Never Can Tell would be AWESOME with both Keith and Mick on vocals. Maybe trading off verses and then duetting at the end. One of my favorite Berry tracks, immortalized in Pulp Fiction.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 14, 2016 17:29

GasLightStreet

Pull out the good leftovers from the VOODOO and BABYLON sessions, whatever might have some merit from the LICKS sessions, and finish those.

thumbs up
I totally agree.
Enough of covers...they have to work with the best outtakes from previous sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-14 17:32 by KRiffhard.

Date: November 14, 2016 17:29

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Actually, they said 6-7 songs. And I've only heard the hit a wall-thing from Don Was.

+ Keith's comments the album «was in the can». That was not taken as being in the trash can, course winking smiley

Maybe Keith thought they would use some of the blues stuff on the album with the original material when he said that? I dunno...

I took it to mean they continued working on new songs but according to this, ha ha, after finally understanding what was said after reading this stuff for the millionth time, that's not the case:

Mick Jagger said they haven't thrown out the original material they were working on prior to abandoning it in favor of their forthcoming blues collection "Blue & Lonesome." Jagger says they have "half an album" of new music done.

[www.antimusic.com]

Date: November 14, 2016 17:38

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

I took it to mean they continued working on new songs but according to this, ha ha, after finally understanding what was said after reading this stuff for the millionth time, that's not the case:

Mick Jagger said they haven't thrown out the original material they were working on prior to abandoning it in favor of their forthcoming blues collection "Blue & Lonesome." Jagger says they have "half an album" of new music done.

[www.antimusic.com]

Yeah, that's a third way of saying what happened, he he smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 14, 2016 17:39

rbk
Mick and Ronnie have both mentioned in the press that, before they diverted to the blues project, they had 6-7 songs for a new album. Then they hit the wall creatively. Who says a new Stones album needs to be all originals? As long as they're coming full circle with the blues why not flesh out a new album with tasty, applicable covers? Here's some ideas I had. Not ALL of them but 6-7:

Bleeding Fingers by Lucinda Williams

You had me at Real Live Bleeding Fingers (huge Lu fan and fave song)
Another good Lucinda cover might be Changed the Locks..

Date: November 14, 2016 18:09

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet

thumbs up
I totally agree.
Enough of covers...they have to work with the best outtakes from previous sessions.

I think they made a mistake in not releasing You Got It Made. Keith could've had 3 on VOODOO and they could've left off, oh, Sweethearts Together or New Faces...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 14, 2016 18:10

Ask Bill Wyman to write a couple.

Date: November 14, 2016 18:28

GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet

thumbs up
I totally agree.

I think they made a mistake in not releasing You Got It Made. Keith could've had 3 on VOODOO and they could've left off, oh, Sweethearts Together or New Faces...

thumbs up

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 14, 2016 18:45

i'm just glad they now think 6 songs is half an album-they seem to have learned the lesson that everything they do isn't great and alot of the time it isn't even very good.

it looks like they are taking their time and getting it right instead of putting out 16 or 18 half baked songs, that's really good to see.

Date: November 14, 2016 20:23

They should use this Some Girls outtake:
[www.youtube.com]

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 14, 2016 20:58

nice outttake indeed.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: November 14, 2016 21:42

lem motlow
i'm just glad they now think 6 songs is half an album-they seem to have learned the lesson that everything they do isn't great and alot of the time it isn't even very good.

it looks like they are taking their time and getting it right instead of putting out 16 or 18 half baked songs, that's really good to see.

Yes, it would be great to see quality triumphing over quantity for a change.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 14, 2016 22:01

maybe they could do a new album of 10 songs instead of 13,14 or 16 from some post 1980,s albums.

would be great to get a new stones album as well as the new cover album due out in december.

looks like if this info is true we get the stones rolling for a bit longer.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 14, 2016 22:37

He can come over to my house for inspiration.
Kidding, kidding.
(best we meet elsewhere)
Ha Ha I'm so funny
but so's this thread
maybe the glimmers will vacay together
God knows they already have enough life experiences to draw on.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 14, 2016 23:15

I agree, no covers! We are just about getting reading to get an album of 12 covers. Lets see them get to the roots and crank out some good blues based R and R! And maybe some soul too! With minimal production, ragged guitars, and lyrics about more than just scoring from some woman.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 14, 2016 23:36

Release it as an EP

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 15, 2016 00:05

rbk
74 Years Young by Buddy Guy

they could change the sentence
"drink wine with kings and the Rolling Stones" by
"we drink wine with kings and Buddy Guy" !!!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 15, 2016 00:22

Honest Man!!!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 15, 2016 13:26

KRiffhard
They should use this Some Girls outtake:
[www.youtube.com]

>grinning smiley<
Good tune , i like the tastee licks by Ronnie smiling bouncing smiley

Date: November 15, 2016 13:31

I'd like to know your opinion about Ronnie's comment:
“It’s like putting it on top of the strainer and seeing what soaks through by the time you come back to them again. The lumps that are left on top after time has gone by, that’s what you make your dough out of. It wouldn’t surprise me if we recut them all again. It’s one of those things.”

It seems like 'We are not entirely satisfied with these new songs...'.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 15, 2016 13:49

KRiffhard
I'd like to know your opinion about Ronnie's comment:
“It’s like putting it on top of the strainer and seeing what soaks through by the time you come back to them again. The lumps that are left on top after time has gone by, that’s what you make your dough out of. It wouldn’t surprise me if we recut them all again. It’s one of those things.”

It seems like 'We are not entirely satisfied with these new songs...'.

Does not sound too good at all. But maybe, they want to put an extra effort, to make a GREAT last album.
Jeroen

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 15, 2016 16:57

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm personally fine without another new album (I liked A Bigger Bang and think it'll be fine to go out with/hard to do better than), so the last thing I'm gonna do is get my hopes up that it is happening only for it to get bogged down and never put out. If we get a new Stones album I'll consider it a happy surprise, because I truly thought at this point 2006 was the last time.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:24

A new album (or even en EP or 2 singles) would be great news.

A new tour is more questionnable.
If they ALL are fit enough, willing to go out on the road once more and able to meet their standards as they did for decades up to 2014 (last time I saw them), I'll be happy.
If not, they'd better leave their image (almost) undammaged and stop touring.

The vaults are full, they can release tons of great stuff !

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:35

keefriff99
You Never Can Tell would be AWESOME with both Keith and Mick on vocals. Maybe trading off verses and then duetting at the end. One of my favorite Berry tracks, immortalized in Pulp Fiction.

thumbs up easy to imagine

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:37

Just camp out in the studio for two months.
But I don't think that at this point in their lives they really want to do that. Whatever they do is fine.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:57

The video that was posted recently, which showed Mick and Keith sitting together and performing "Country Honk", gives me some hope that the two of them would be able and willing to work in each others' company in the studio on transforming song sketches into valuable song material. Then I hope that some more new songs may come out of such activity.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1614
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home